Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I'm sorry I missed part 2 so... :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not too many recommendations in this thread but here's a few films Ive watched and liked that I wasn't familiar with.

25th Hour 2002
    Sling Blade 1996
    Funny Games 2007
    Lantana 2001
    United States of Leland 2003
    11:14 2005
    Exam 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Its not very good, even though he gets a jet pack :(

And for the love of God avoid 4,5,6 & 7 :eek::eek:
    (although they have names like crash and burn & dark justice or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I'm using TunnelBear to view the US catalogue (which did surprise me, I knew it had a lot more stuff but was still taken aback. My US friends say the Streaming selection sucks by itself without DVDs, seems pretty good to me), I don't really want to be using a different DNS and having to restart my computer all the time, which I'd have to do. Only got 1.5GB free though, and I'd feel gipped paying for the proxy, although at least I wouldn't be pirating anything. :/

I guess I'll just view the free stuff very slowly (just too lazy/cheap to get around it) although apparently the starz stuff goes soon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've not seen those ones and don't intend to!! :D

Started on Boss last night, seems pretty good and should get better as it goes on. Very dark, didn't realise Gus Van Sant was behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Started on Boss last night, seems pretty good and should get better as it goes on. Very dark, didn't realise Gus Van Sant was behind it.

I blitzed Boss out over the weekend. It's very good. The last couple of episodes are great.

Boss is very much Grammer and Farhad Safinia's baby. Van Sant only directed the first episode and executive produced the series, Grammer and Safinia were the driving force so to speak. They met and became friends over a shared love of Shakespeare and Grammer asked him to write a for him. A few months later he had Boss which they went out and sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Started watching Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Great show. Between that and Dexter, that's where my time is being spent.

Using netflix through the xbox.

Using the US version too. Serious amount on that. Didn't sign up for any unblock us trial.
    Just changed the DNS settings (that some one kindly posted in here ;) ) in the network set up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m nearly finished the second season of Friday Night Lights and really enjoying it. Watching through my PS3. Picked up a Harmony remote and their PS3 adaptor and have that set up so one button press turns on the Plasma, turns on the AV receiver, turns on the PS3, selects the right HDMI on the Plasma and selects the right HDMI on the receiver. One button press to turn the whole lot off again. It will even knock off the PS3 when you are still in Netflix.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Recommendation on the US Netflix, Sin Nombre. A powerful, brutal but beautifully shot film. It centres on two characters who form an unlikely friendship, one is running away from his gang that are trying to kill him,
    while the other is following her family to go to New Jersey;

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009823-sin_nombre/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you sign in on one device do you get kicked out of another?

or can 2 devices stream simultaneously

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭dodzy

M cebee wrote: »
    can 2 devices stream simultaneously

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Can't remember who recommended it but I just watched the Interrupters there and thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

How is it setup?

Connect to Internet--->Update Firmware--->Select Netflix(?)--->Press play?

Are you limited to Irish Netflix?

Access is via the Smart Hub ...the "red" Netflix app icon should be available if not a firmware update for your TV maybe required. Yeah have only setup for Irish content so far. Best to setup your account on a computer first as typing on the Samsung remote is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Other pretty obvious recommendations on the Irish one just in case people have missed them:

The Lives of Others - Excellent German movie set in east Berlin in the 80's. Won oscar for best foreign language film in 2007.

Gone Baby Gone - First movie directed by Ben affleck starring his brother Casey and Morgan Freeman. Very good movie

The King of Kong - Documentary about the Donkey Kong arcade game and the quest for the highest score. Far more engaging and enjoyable than it might sound!

Man on Wire - Another documentary about a guy who walked a high wire between the twin towers.

Mysterious Skin - Stars Joseph Gordon Levitt in a very interesting but at times a disturbing movie. Well worth a watch.

Rounders - Matt Damon in a movie about poker. Generally considered to be the best poker related movie out there.

Infernal affairs - Original Japanese movie on which the Departed is based. I actually preferred it to the Departed I think. The sequels are also on Netflix I believe

Hi all, im having big trouble getting unblockus to work.

I have tried downloading the easy setup app onto my pc but it keeps saying disconected.

I have also tried inputing the the DNS details in manually and nothing happens. My internet is still coming up at the normal address of my home country.

I have also tried to enter the DNS manually into my Iphone and Xbox and nothing happens. Both connect ok but it dosent seem to change

anything, It still seems the same without myself being able to get the USA Netflix.

Anyone have any ideas to what im doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hi all, im having big trouble getting unblockus to work.

I have tried downloading the easy setup app onto my pc but it keeps saying disconected.

I have also tried inputing the the DNS details in manually and nothing happens. My internet is still coming up at the normal address of my home country.

I have also tried to enter the DNS manually into my Iphone and Xbox and nothing happens. Both connect ok but it dosent seem to change

anything, It still seems the same without myself being able to get the USA Netflix.

Anyone have any ideas to what im doing wrong?

Once you change the DNS settings delete Netflix from your device, turn off device, re-install Netflix, put in username & password. That should do it.

Once you change the DNS settings delete Netflix from your device, turn off device, re-install Netflix, put in username & password. That should do it.

Thanks, but that didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Thanks, but that didnt work.

Are you running a connection test after you put in the new DNS settings?

Yea, it keeps saying I haven't set it up right.

Could my ip be blocking the DNS? I'm with utv.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Will they ever have new releases on it?

The library they have is mediocre at best. Actually no, I'm being too kind by saying its mediocre, its actually rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ok finished watching Boss very good and very dark, I kindof see it as Breaking Bad set in Politics :) Also impressed with the direction of New Jack City's Mario Van Peebles!
    Just started watching first episode of LilyHammer with Steven Van Zandt, pretty good first series to be produced by Netflix.
    Watched Worlds Greatest Dad with Robin Williams quirky movie kind of liked it didn't know it was directed by Bobcat Goldthwait he of the Police Acadamy movies i'm impressed!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will they ever have new releases on it?

The library they have is mediocre at best. Actually no, I'm being too kind by saying its mediocre, its actually rubbish

If they had brand new releases on it we would be paying in the region of double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched Inside I'm dancing last night, really enjoyable film.

In an unprecedented move Netflix not only made their entire catalogue free to view but have begun to pay subscribers a monthly fee for using the service. Some users of popular Irish forum board, boards.ie still found reasons to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

In an unprecedented move Netflix not only made their entire catalogue free to view but have begun to pay subscribers a monthly fee for using the service. Some users of popular Irish forum board, boards.ie still found reasons to complain.
    +1

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

In an unprecedented move Netflix not only made their entire catalogue free to view but have begun to pay subscribers a monthly fee for using the service.

I'm being cut off my telcomms, how do I get paid to watch, is it enough to pay my broadband?

PS. I've been doing 30GB and this January with Netflix running I've topped 1,500GB ~ I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness to Netflix when I first signed up for their free trial their choice was pretty poor but they have been adding new stuff fairly regularly over the past few weeks. Think I'll definitely subscribe as there is a fair amount of stuff on there that I plan to watch between TV shows, docs and some films that I didn't get around to watching in the cinema or on DVD.

Has helped that I've got it working through my PS3 onto the big screen. Picture quality is good too. Not HD good but definitely DVD quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

My month's trial expires today but I received an email from Netflix this evening saying they couldn't authorise my Visa card. I went and re-entered all the info as per their request, and it seemed to do the trick. Then ten minutes later they sent the same email again. Anyone else having trouble using a Visa debit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

If they had brand new releases on it we would be paying in the region of double the price.

I not too bothered about new shows.. I like the idea of being able to watch old tv shows when I want with netfilx.. star trek, x files, 80's cheese like the a team, if netflix have the rights to show these shows in the us, then surely they can get the rights for over here.. I know you can fiddle around and get the us netflix here, but I can't be bothered with that hassle,

at the moment Im watching wallander, the swedish version, netflix will live or die by adding new content (not new shows, I mean old shows, that is new on netflix) Ill keep netflix for a couple of months, if content update is slow then I'll bin it..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement