Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tree ornaments - favourite, and least favourite

• 07-01-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭

Taking down the tree, as tradition ordains, on this day.

And getting out the boxes to put away the tree decorations.

A big, strong, cardboard carton, clearly labelled GLASS on all four sides, for the most delicate and fragile items.

Some of them are these glass balloons, about the size of a large orange, incredibly fragile, that came from my mother-in-law's house: they are clear blown glass, and shimmer like bubbles in the tree.
    I like those, and the glass stars. And my little brown owl. (And plenty of others!)

But then I spotted the ones I absolutely can't stand (and rarely hang) - old 1970's baubles covered in a sort of satin thread.
    Some are pinkish and some a kind of mustardy yellow. And the threads unravel, leaving bald patches.

So tell us, friendly boardsie Christmas-lovers: what are your most favourite and least favourite ornaments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Actually you are a day late it was supposed to come down yesterday on the 6th but don't worry I won't tell anyone :)

My favourite is one that a friend gave me years ago.
    She wrote a message on it with a marker and I think of her every year when I'm putting up the tree.
    I don't really have a least favouite because I only use the ones I like.

I have an eclectic array of ornaments, and since a few years ago started buy at least one in every country I visit, locally made as far as I can help it. I even have ones from Antarctica, but made in UK for sale at Port Lockroy. I have ones that predate my birth in 1961: the delightful fairy, and two pathetic pipe cleaner Santas which I keep out if sentimentality. I have locally handmade ornaments from Peru, Myanmar, Hawaii, Estonia, Latvia, Newfoundland, British Columbia First Nations territory, Waterford, Norway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My favourite of my own decorations are the Newbridge silver ones - we get one every year from Santa. I like the chunky ones better than the filigree ones.

I usually decorate my parents' trees when I get back to Ireland; they have lovely decorations and I think my favourites are the bells along with some spun gold decorations they have - I don't know how to explain them without a picture, some are baubles and some are stars. My mum doesn't even remember where she got them but doesn't think they were expensive.

They also still have a reindeer decoration I made when I was a child, it is quite special to me because my granny got me the kit to make it - she loved crafty things.

My least favourite ornaments that my parents have are cheap-looking plain red baubles, I think they're really boring so I always put their other decorations on first and only use those ones as a last resort to fill in gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

elperello wrote: »
    Actually you are a day late it was supposed to come down yesterday on the 6th but don't worry I won't tell anyone :)

My favourite is one that a friend gave me years ago.
    She wrote a message on it with a marker and I think of her every year when I'm putting up the tree.
    I don't really have a least favouite because I only use the ones I like.

The 6th is still Christmas!! Trees down today. Nollaig na mBan is very important in my family.

My favourite is a paper star that we were given at a friend's 10 year old son's memorial service. I surround that with other star decorations.

Least favourite is a very thoughtful bauble given by a friend. Love the thought but it's so gaudy. It has to go on the tree but not near the front :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like most of the ones I have, I have a soft spot for those resin ones with detail - a drum with holly and presents. Not keen on reindeer, but otherwise anything goes.

This year the dead sparrow finally didn't get put up. It was a (by now) tatty robin (don't ask) with only one leg, the other fell off, so when it was put on the tree it generally ended up swinging upside down on the branch. I suspect it was sometimes helped. The dead sparra was somewhere on the tree for years, but this year we only had a tiny tree - the tree didn't come with us on the house move - so it was finally abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I don't have any decorations here I don't like....well there could be some in the attic from the mil, but they live in the attic.

However tinsel......I absolutely hate it....we had loads in my mams house and I refused to put it on the tree.....think I'm traumatised from it being made into halos for the nativity play....it's very scratchy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't have any decorations here I don't like....well there could be some in the attic from the mil, but they live in the attic.

However tinsel......I absolutely hate it....we had loads in my mams house and I refused to put it on the tree.....think I'm traumatised from it being made into halos for the nativity play....it's very scratchy :)

Ha! I am with you there PC, also a non-tinsel person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Hard to pick favourites but if forced I'd go for some cheap 'cut crystal' glass snowflakes I picked up years ago, they reflect and refract the lights all around the room and create a beautiful effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I can’t even name a favorite but I have to agree i’m not fond of tinsel or those beads you find draped around some trees. We have a horrible purple themed tree in the workplace with even more horrific purple ornaments. My eyes !!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Any of the ones that my kids gave me are my favourites, they're Newbridge or Avoca, or last year they got me this little crocheted Robin and snowman. We also have these glass angels that are also bells, which we got in Liseaux on our holidays, and love then because if anyone brushes past the tree, they make a lovely sound.

I don't really dislike any decorations. I suppose I'm not really pushed about some of the "filler" baubles we have, but TBH if I disliked something I wouldn't put it on the tree.

• Advertisement

Ah I got so distracted by tinsel I never mentioned my favourite.

In my mams we had an elongated spinning wheel style bauble...there was a set but the others were casualties of Christmas past....anyway we'd always sit beside the tree spinning it....explains the casualties :) so that's a sentimental one (I did buy a Waterford crystal version for my tree)

However my favourite ones now are the ceramic ones you can buy in the pop up stalls in all the shopping centres....the first one I got was when I was pregnant, so a pregnant snowwoman with a? On the bump, along with a snowman, with our names on it....got another the following year with the baby's name think that one is 3 bears...another with the 3 of us and a? When I was pregnant again. Then of course the 4 of us the Christmas after.... You know the ones I'm talking about :)

My tree is all Newbridge, Genesis and Belleek decorations plus the personalised ones. Out of the Newbridge, I've a dangly fir cone which I really love!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I get Mr. CL a photo bauble (except they are flat and not baubles) every year. I love unwrapping them and reminiscing, they're really special to us. I also have a Robin Hood & Maid Marian one that I love!

Out of the Newbridge, I've a dangly fir cone which I really love!

I have that and it's my favourite of all my newbridge too. It's really beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Where do I start??? I’m ornament crazy!!!

When I was a little girl my Mum always let me choose a Christmas decoration for the tree every year in Roches Stores.
    One of my favourites ( not for its looks!) is a 1970’s cardboard/plastic angel my Dad bought for me in Roches! Will try and post a photo. She still holds her own among the current batch of ornaments! I love her!!!
    I started my own collection when house sharing in Dublin in the late 90’s and did a rough count this Christmas. Have about 170!
    I love some of the ornaments Hallmark make, and also Gisela Graham ornaments. My favourite ornaments are a moulded pink glittery maple leaf (Gisela Graham picked up about 12 years ago in Newlands Cross and a I’m always sorry I didn’t get an extra few and also an embroidered ornament of the Vasa Ship which I bought in the Vasa Museum in Stockholm! Anything goes on my tree.... if I like it I buy it.

My least favourite.... I don’t really have any as I only buy ones I like!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

LxhvOHf.jpg

Heres my favourite Bauble. The kids got it for me this year as they know I'm a Christmas nut & love Big Hero 6 & Baymax in particular.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    LxhvOHf.jpg

Heres my favourite Bauble. The kids got it for me this year as they know I'm a Christmas nut & love Big Hero 6 & Baymax in particular.

That’s the greatest thing ever. I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Favourite decoration for me would either be the little felt robin I made myself this Christmas or a little snowman with a bell in his belly. We also try to pick up decorations when we travel so we've quite a few from around the world. We've so many at this stage that we don't need to use the generic baubles any more (thank god).

Least favourite is also a tie. There's a teeny little crappy looking angel that my husband loves and I despise. It looks like it was made by a 5 year old and is just thrown together. It's not sentimental or anything but he loves it so it has to go on the tree every year. The other one is a pear covered in what looks like hardened sugar crystals. It's heavy, it's too big and it just does nothing for the tree. It's a filler that'll go on the tree last.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Favourite decoration for me would either be the little felt robin I made myself this Christmas or a little snowman with a bell in his belly. We also try to pick up decorations when we travel so we've quite a few from around the world. We've so many at this stage that we don't need to use the generic baubles any more.

The first thing I do when I go on hols is to scout the local artisan shops and tourist stores for something suitable for the tree! :)

@DvB: love the Baymax ornament!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sundew wrote: »
    The first thing I do when I go on hols is to scout the local artisan shops and tourist stores for something suitable for the tree! :)

Yep I do the same, tree can get a bit mismatchy at times but it's storing fond memories for me. So that trumps any cosmetic appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Sundew wrote: »

Got a surfin Santa on our honeymoon in Haiti. Didn't make the cut for the tree this year however hung him off one of the shelves, always gets commented on when people first see it.

• Advertisement

Hoping to do a small beach/ holiday themed tree on my bookshelf next year. I so want to see all your ornaments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

I'll have to have a look at the ornaments, one pretty one I got last year was an afternoon tea set from Fortnum and Mason, definitely not the cheapest I've bought lol

Anyone going to buy the coronavirus tree decoration?

For those who may not have seen it yet, it's the white ceramic tree decoration design... The pop up stores are in all the shopping centres that sell them... You know the ones.

Anyway it's the usual family that you add names too, all wearing masks 2020 is under them but the 0 is in the shape of the virus, there's a hand sanitiser and loo roll on the design too.

I actually think that they are hilarious, though I can't see myself ordering them online, which is where all my shopping this year will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Anyone going to buy the coronavirus tree decoration?

For those who may not have seen it yet, it's the white ceramic tree decoration design... The pop up stores are in all the shopping centres that sell them... You know the ones.

Anyway it's the usual family that you add names too, all wearing masks 2020 is under them but the 0 is in the shape of the virus, there's a hand sanitiser and loo roll on the design too.

I actually think that they are hilarious, though I can't see myself ordering them online, which is where all my shopping this year will be done.

This came up a while back. Each to their own however is a 'No' from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Oh I like this thread!

I used to have to travel to the US for work and there is a store in Little Italy in New York called “it’s always Christmas in New York” where you can get Manhattan themed decorations personalised. Have a few 3D ceramic type ones of Rockefeller tree with a yellow cab and the angels, ice-skating in Central Park, the famous baubles and fairy lights near Radio City etc which I love and have the year inscribed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »

Agree, a firm no from me too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I read this in a dragons den voice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

I ordered this one with the virus icon over a month ago after someone posted it on the chat thread. Still hasn't arrived

https://www.catsicreative.com/products/lockdown-2020-bauble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Agree wholeheartedly, it's bad enough having it constantly on television without having it on the Christmas tree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have mostly baubles and very few other ones.

Got a snowman in Tiger last year where the face was stitched a bit wrong, and looks completely plastered as a result. Far too much eggnog consumed and about to vomit snowballs in the nearest potted plant at the work Christmas party.

I also haven an RNLI baby penguin in a life jacket that I bought when restocking Christmas cards from their shop. Which I actually need to do again for this year

Advertisement