Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

o1s1n wrote: »
    Dylan-Eric-Dead.jpg

Why is there a circle around that part out of interest? I am aware I may be missing something glaringly obvious....

Why is there a circle around that part out of interest? I am aware I may be missing something glaringly obvious....

http://breakfornews.com/bfn1/Dylan-Eric-Dead1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Dylan-Eric-Dead1.jpg

hmmm internet conspiracy eh?
    maybe kurt cobain shot him before escaping in a car driven by lady Di?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

13764_222960749828_613774828_4362193_7539815_n.jpg

Forgive my ignorance ... what is this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

furiousox wrote: »
    Dylan-Eric-Dead1.jpg

hmmm internet conspiracy eh?
    maybe kurt cobain shot him before escaping in a car driven by lady Di?
    I don't get it, is he holding a pistol under his leg because it kind of looks like it? I see the carbine but surely he couldn't shoot a carbine held in his left hand to the left temple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

panam.jpg

not related

Nicolae-Ceausescu-execute-001.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Omayra_Sanchez.jpg
    Omaira Sanchez
    Omaira Sanchez was a 13-year old victim of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano which erupted on November 13, 1985 in Armero, Colombia, causing massive lahars which killed nearly 25,000.
    Red Cross rescue workers had apparently repeatedly appealed to the government for a pump to lower the water level and for other help to free the girl. Finally rescuers gave up and spent their remaining time with her, comforting her and praying with her. She died of exposure after about 60 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

trout wrote: »
    Annoying little kid from the Toy Show last night :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

brendan-smyth.jpg

Fr Brendan Smyth, 1927-1997. Evil personified.

2854394.jpg

Caster Se-man-ya??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Annoying little kid from the Toy Show last night :mad:

which one?
    ...oh right.....

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Johnjoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

q4.jpg

OUCH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

pebbles21 wrote: »
    q4.jpg

OUCH!!

That's David Bust. Horrible collision with Denis Irwin. Ended his career there and then, poor chap. I remember watching that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

13764_222960749828_613774828_4362193_7539815_n.jpg

Explanation please. Have no idea what this one is about?

Just seen the explanation....

majiktripp wrote: »
    Omaira Sanchez
    Omaira Sanchez was a 13-year old victim of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano which erupted on November 13, 1985 in Armero, Colombia, causing massive lahars which killed nearly 25,000.
    Red Cross rescue workers had apparently repeatedly appealed to the government for a pump to lower the water level and for other help to free the girl. Finally rescuers gave up and spent their remaining time with her, comforting her and praying with her. She died of exposure after about 60 hours.

WTF, was she trapped?

Another one that has to go on this thread.

NelsonMandela.jpg

_38632381_mandelarelease150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

^^ beat ya ages ago, but i'd be really jealous if you did get one of george mitchell announcing the good friday agreement. i can't find one other than tony and bertie signing it.

ReaganGorbachev1985.jpg

reagan-gorbachev.jpg

1101851118_400.jpg

^^ beat ya ages ago, but i'd be really jealous if you did get one of george mitchell announcing the good friday agreement. i can't find one other than tony and bertie signing it.

*me gone searching furtively*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    WTF, was she trapped?

Her legs were trapped under concrete and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alabamawhurley

Great thread!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Whiddy island - 08 January 1979. Oil tanker Betelgeuse exploded at the offshore jetty of the Whiddy Island Oil Terminal, due to the failure of the ship's structure during an operation to discharge its cargo of oil. The explosion and resulting fire claimed the lives of 50 people (42 French nationals, 7 Irish nationals and 1 United Kingdom national).

Betelgeuse1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

20090816-exxon-valdez2.jpg

A beached whale after the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

783274_15ede08132.jpg
    e000001_024146_000017_04099_large.jpg
    Ethiopian Famine 1980's

article-0-03C90D8C000005DC-715_468x302.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Banksy1.jpg
    An altered photo to drive home a point.
    Lipstick & The liberation of Nazi death camp, Bergen-Belsen

I can give no adequate description of the Horror Camp in which my men and myself were to spend the next month of our lives. It was just a barren wilderness, as bare as a chicken run. Corpses lay everywher, some in huge piles, sometimes they lay singly or in pairs where they had fallen.

It took a little time to get used to seeing men women and children collapse as you walked by them and to restrain oneself from going to their assistance. One had to get used early to the idea that the individual just did not count. One knew that five hundred a day were dying and that five hundred a day were going on dying for weeks before anything we could do would have the slightest effect. It was, however, not easy to watch a child choking to death from diptheria when you knew a tracheotomy and nursing could save it, one saw women drowning in their own vomit becasue they were too weak to turn over, and men eating worms as they clutched a half loaf of bread purely because they had had to eat worms to live and now could scarcely tell the difference.

Piles of corpses, naked and obscene, with a woman too weak to stand propping herself against them as she cooked the food we had given her over an open fire; men and women crouching down just anywhere in the open relieving themselves of the dysentery which was scouring their bowels, a woman standing stark naked washing herself with some issue soap in water from a tank in which the remains of a child floated.

It was shortly after the British Red Cross arrived, though it may have no connection, that a very large quantity of lipstick arrived. This was not at all what we men wanted, we were screaming for hundreds and thousands of other things and I don't know who asked for lipstick. I wish so much that I could discover who did it, it was the action of genius, sheer unadulterated brilliance. I believe nothing did more for those internees than the lipstick. Women lay in bed with no sheets and no nightie but with scarlet red lips, you saw them wantering about with nothing but a blanket over their shoulders, but with scarlet red lips. I saw a woman dead on the post mortem table and clutched in her hand was a piece of lipstick. At last someone had done something to make them individuals again, they were someone, no longer merely the number tatooed on the arm. At last they could take an interest in their appearance. That lipstick started to give them back their humanity.

An extract from the diary of Lieutenant Colonel Mervin Willett Gonin DSO who was amongst the first British soldiers to liberate Bergen-Belsen in 1945. Source: Imperial War Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Fantastic thread.. What about these ones..

Seinfeld's Michael Richards loses his mind in a rant about coloured people.

Michael%20Richards.jpg

Romanian Dictator Nicolae Ceausescu meets his maker.
    dead.jpg

And Carl Lewis knowingly eyes Canada's Ben Johnson.

Ben_Johnson_1988_Olympics_-_LAC_a175370k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

800px-Mountcarmelfire04-19-93-l.jpg

Mount Carmel after the shootout / fire that resulted in the death of David Koresh and 75 others.

• Advertisement

Dunblane
    dunblane.jpg
    dunblane_class_photo.jpg
    9/11Sept%2011%20attack.jpg
    Sept11TowerOneFiremenKehoeStairs.jpg
    Live Aid 1985- Give us yer f*ckin money!
    6a00d83451b05569e20115710a2557970c-450wi

Advertisement