Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1916 Seachtar Na Casca

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Ceannt's was brilliant. Every time I watch an epsiode the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. Awesomely done TG4. What did ye think of the Galway Ceannt biographer describing the woman at the 1916 commemoration in Eyre Square saying 'they died for nothing' and bemoaning the current state of the country. Is that the first time they let a comment like that through. I agreed with her sentiments though when you see the sacrifices these men made and the present sickening incumbents of the government.

I went looking for a Ceannt biography after having viewed this episode and ended up buying the one written by the author featured. His name is William Henry and the book is called Supreme Sacrifice. I would recommend it to anyone interested in reading more about Ceannt or the Easter Rising in general.

I have been following this series since the beginning and you are right in pointing out that this was the first time any reference was made to the current state of the country. It summed up exactly how I feel and I am glad the makers of this series decided to include it. I am sure many other people in the country feel the same way. I felt a mixture of anger and sadness at what we have come to - our public representatives, and we in general, have become more concerned with feathering our own nests than cultivating a worthwhile society. Although maybe this is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Il check that book on Ceannt out too. Brilliant series, does anybody know if this will be released on DVD or if i can watch it again start to finish anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In most episodes you see people giving speeches on a bandstand in a park.

Anyone know which park this is? I can't quite place it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Il check that book on Ceannt out too. Brilliant series, does anybody know if this will be released on DVD or if i can watch it again start to finish anywhere?

Don't know about the DVD possibility, but it's online on tg4.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AbuMedia

Hi There,

Thanks to all for watching the show. The series will be released on DVD but not in time for Christmas. If you would like to pre-order a copy of the set you can send an email with your name, address and phone to 1916@abumedia.com, and we will contact you with details of the DVD release! Thanks for the support,

Abú Media

@feelingstressed - The bandstand is in the Phoenix Park...near the Zoo and the Peoples park! Hope that clears it up for you

In most episodes you see people giving speeches on a bandstand in a park.

Anyone know which park this is? I can't quite place it :confused:

I replied in my last post but the banstand is in the Phoenix Park :D

I hope they bring the series out on DVD.

Hi There,

Thanks to all for watching the show. The series will be released on DVD but not in time for Christmas. If you would like to pre-order a copy of the set you can send an email with your name, address and phone to 1916@abumedia.com, and we will contact you with details of the DVD release! Thanks for the support,

Abú Media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

On TG4 now, hopefully its decent. At the start of it it mentioned the occupations of the 7 signatories. One was referred to as "a cripple". Was that Ceannt?

mcdiarmadia was referred to as the cripple, eye witness accounts from the time have the military commander(some dublin man who was in british army, and who was drunk) who took over minding the rebels the night of the surrender remark "oh you have cripples in your fine army" or something along these lines! .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Ceannt's was brilliant. Every time I watch an epsiode the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. Awesomely done TG4. What did ye think of the Galway Ceannt biographer describing the woman at the 1916 commemoration in Eyre Square saying 'they died for nothing' and bemoaning the current state of the country. Is that the first time they let a comment like that through. I agreed with her sentiments though when you see the sacrifices these men made and the present sickening incumbents of the government.

It is a sentiment that cannot help but occur to anyone who respects what was done by the men and women of 1916. When I was a teenager I was lucky to have known some of the then quite elderly men who had fought in 16 and then in the War of Independence. It left me with lifelong respect for all of them. They were a fine generation.

Here's yesterday's editorial from the Irish Times. Not that the IT has anything to crow about as regards supporting either 1916 or Irish nationalism generally but the sentiment is certainly worth a read.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1118/1224283626246.html?via=mr

Not sure if many realise that the "was it for this" expression is a borrowing from one of Yeats' poems. It's from September 1913 and certainly the sentiment can be applied to our time.

Was it for this the wild geese spread
    The grey wing upon every tide;
    For this that all that blood was shed,
    For this Edward Fitzgerald died,
    And Robert Emmet and Wolfe Tone,
    All that delirium of the brave?
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Come on, lads. We've come through worse before. If this leads to transparency - that we know how much and where the banks have lent; that we know how much property the members of the Dáil and Seanad own, and who lent them the money for it - it could improve our country.

And if it leads to a country with little difference between the incomes of the richest and the poorest, with justice and kindness between its citizens, better still.

It's up to us to make sure that these are the outcomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

AbuMedia wrote: »
    Hi There,

Abú Media
    Excellent series, it must be one the best, if not indeed the best programmes ever made on Irish history. I enjoyed the one about Joseph Plunkett best. Eammon Ceannt was a tough nut, he was in the Dan Breen league of resilient fighters. Didn't know Tom Clarke was a Tyrone man. Thank God we have some people to counter the anti nationalist black porpaganda of Eoghan Harris, Conor Cruise O'Brien and the rest of the west Brit agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Hi There,

Abú Media

Will the DVD go on general release - available in shops? Or only through your web site?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Hi There,

Abú Media

@feelingstressed - The bandstand is in the Phoenix Park...near the Zoo and the Peoples park! Hope that clears it up for you

Id def be interested in this and if you could get onto RTE and try and get the Treaty for sale too. Id love to see this again

Advertisement