Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General rip off examples

• 21-10-2019 11:54am

Thought there might be a general thread for pics of the odd rip-off you see here and there which aren't worthy of a new thread every time..........Couldn't find one, so here we go:

Spar Merrion Row. Who in their right mind is paying this for a standard packet of biscuits?

493447.jpg

edit: image was huge, trying to resize it now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭steinbock123

ANY of the garage "shops", loads of examples, but a small bottle of Coke for €1.80/1.90/1.95 is ridiculous when priced against a 2litre bottle in the supermarket.
    But I think the biggest rip-off ever invented is the "rounding up" lark, where something is priced at €4.97, you hand in a fiver but get no change. It really boils my piss! :mad: I can honestly say that for every time I've been "rounded down", I've been "rounded up" 15 or 20 times.
    But there's probably a separate thread for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

ANY of the garage "shops", loads of examples, but a small bottle of Coke for €1.80/1.90/1.95 is ridiculous when priced against a 2litre bottle in the supermarket.
    But I think the biggest rip-off ever invented is the "rounding up" lark, where something is priced at €4.97, you hand in a fiver but get no change. It really boils my piss! :mad: I can honestly say that for every time I've been "rounded down", I've been "rounded up" 15 or 20 times.

Re the round up, you do know you have a right to demand the EXACT change, ie 4.97, hand over a fiver, if you want it, they MUST give you the 3 cents change.

Heard this on Liveline a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

4.97 should be rounded down to 4.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

SuperValu in many areas charging €2.50+ for a can of monster energy including the monster ultra cans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

€4.65 is insane those large packs are £1.50 in our local place right now got a pack earlier. Be cheaper to buy them here and post them over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

SuperValu in many areas charging €2.50+ for a can of monster energy including the monster ultra cans

Like Centra charging €3.50 for 473ml redbull

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jimmii wrote: »
    €4.65 is insane those large packs are £1.50 in our local place right now got a pack earlier. Be cheaper to buy them here and post them over!

There was a deal last week to get 2 of those chocolate digestives in NI for £1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

NIMAN wrote: »
    There is currently a deal to get 2 of those chocolate digestives in NI for £1.50

Thats crazy cheap! They're normally ~£2.50 for the large packs so that's pretty dam good! That I forgot to pick up my second pack lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats crazy cheap! They're normally ~£2.50 for the large packs so that's pretty dam good! That I forgot to pick up my second pack lol.

Maybe it was 2 smaller packets.

Edit: just checked one I had left! It was 2 x 316g packets for £1.50

4.97 should be rounded down to 4.95.

True, ok, then use 4.98 as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

But I think the biggest rip-off ever invented is the "rounding up" lark,
    I guarantee, in 50 or so years, this will be exposed for the scandal that it is (**waiting for the person who says "ah, its just a few cents"** :rolleyes:)

I could give a list as long as my arm of shops that only round in their own favor. A few months back I got petrol that came to 40.02. The girl behind the counter (granted she was new) asked for the 2 cents. I said "what about the rounding rule?" She says "That rule is only at retailers discretion". Yet every time it comes to 39.98, I don't get my 2 cents back! The profit that shops are making from this on a whole!

When I see those digestives going in dunnes for ~€2, I often wish they were €4.65. They're a killer at midnight before going to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Virgin Media

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

bfa1509 wrote: »

I could give a list as long as my arm of shops that only round in their own favor. A few months back I got petrol that came to 40.02. The girl behind the counter (granted she was new) asked for the 2 cents. I said "what about the rounding rule?" She says "That rule is only at retailers discretion". Yet every time it comes to 39.98, I don't get my 2 cents back! The profit that shops are making from this on a whole!

I pay mostly by card these days since all the retailers in my area are always rounding up but never down. I've brought it to their attention a few times when paying, but I'm tired of getting evil looks. There's no rounding for card payments so I'm not getting annoyed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Space Dog wrote:
    I pay mostly by card these days since all the retailers in my area are always rounding up but never down. I've brought it to their attention a few times when paying, but I'm tired of getting evil looks. There's no rounding for card payments so I'm not getting annoyed anymore.

This. I gave up cash altogether and only carry emergency 20 euro note in my wallet for months now. I also use Google pay so more often than not don't even have wallet on me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

When I was taking a course a few years back my lecturer told us all about a bank in America who shafted one of their employees out of her pension but she knew that the bank were up to no good. Supposeedly the bank were deducting/stealing 0.001 cent from all of its customers every week for years and not declaring it to the IRS. Turned out it ran to hundreds of millions over the years, she reported them to the IRS and they gave her 30 million as a thank you cause all the banks were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When I was taking a course a few years back my lecturer told us all about a bank in America who shafted one of their employees out of her pension but she knew that the bank were up to no good. Supposeedly the bank were deducting/stealing 0.001 cent from all of its customers every week for years and not declaring it to the IRS. Turned out it ran to hundreds of millions over the years, she reported them to the IRS and they gave her 30 million as a thank you cause all the banks were at it.

The SEC and other US institutions actually have formal whistleblower reward mechanisms.
    https://www.whistleblower.gov/

Great idea.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sudocrem 400g, made in Ireland

Tesco Ireland = 11.90

Tesco UK = 5.80

5.80 GBP is about 6.75 euro.

Over 70% dearer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I posted on another thread about this but not got much feedback.

Wanted to buy household items through UK site and have delivered to NI.

Accepted order and payment taken online.

Few minutes later, order cancelled "we do not take orders direct from your Country".

I phoned and they waffled a bit and said it was because the card was registered to ROI that I must order through ROI, where Irish customers get ripped off.

There is almost 100% difference between the STG price and the Euro price.

I believe this is illegal under the geo-blocking rules and am going to challenge it.

anewme wrote: »
    I posted on another thread about this but not got much feedback.

Wanted to buy household items through UK site and have delivered to NI.

Accepted order and payment taken online.

Few minutes later, order cancelled "we do not take orders direct from your Country".

I phoned and they waffled a bit and said it was because the card was registered to ROI that I must order through ROI, where Irish customers get ripped off.

There is almost 100% difference between the STG price and the Euro price.

I believe this is illegal under the geo-blocking rules and am going to challenge it.

OK to name and shame??

OK to name and shame??

Not at the minute, but will do once I get more info. one way or the other as I intend going legal on it.

Large UK retailler with previous form for gouging irish customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

anewme wrote: »
    Not at the minute, but will do once I get more info. one way or the other as I intend going legal on it.

Large UK retailler with previous form for gouging irish customers.

why on earth would you still buy from them?

I don't shop in debenhams because they charge about 30% paddy tax. When I'm in the UK, I still won't shop in their stores as I simply will not give my custom to the company itself.

Marks and Spencer are similar. Classic men's shirts £45. Irish site, identical shirt €68.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

That kind of penny shaving was done by August "Gus" Gorman (Richard Prior) in Superman 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salami_slicing

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Geuze wrote: »
    Sudocrem 400g, made in Ireland

Tesco Ireland = 11.90

Tesco UK = 5.80

5.80 GBP is about 6.75 euro.

Over 70% dearer here.

And it's made in Baldoyle!

silver2020 wrote: »
    why on earth would you still buy from them?

I don't shop in debenhams because they charge about 30% paddy tax. When I'm in the UK, I still won't shop in their stores as I simply will not give my custom to the company itself.

Marks and Spencer are similar. Classic men's shirts £45. Irish site, identical shirt €68.

I'm not going fo buy.

But I'm going g to report them fior for discrimination against Irush customers by how they have processed the order.

May come to nothing, but worth an email.

• 2 examples from this week:
    1. PTSB statement
      Need a custom statement from the bank to file tax returns for last year. Online version only goes back 12 months, but need it from January 2018. Have to ring up and waiting for 20 mins. Finally get through and everything is ok until I get the "this type of historical data incurs a charge of €2.50 per page". Hang on a sec, per page? not per statement? Yes definitely per page.

I reluctantly agree, but then I'm told "because of the way our system is set up, it will require to be posted out in two separate envelopes no matter how large the statement is.So you'll get January in one envelope, and Feb - thru Dec in another".

Of course, this guarantees a minimum of 2 pages for the statement, or a fiver no matter what. Daylight robbery.
    2. McHughs Off-Licence
      Picture below. R.I.P. the old six-for-fiver days

494534.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

[*]McHughs Off-Licence
    that stuff is 9% in case anybody is wondering why it could possibly be so dear.

I think it is a 440ml can though so €7.73 per pint

Spar Merrion Row. Who in their right mind is paying this for a standard packet of biscuits?
    My guess would be people not spending their own money, staff sent out to "get a pack of chocolate digestives for the meeting/visitors". I wonder if there were any half decent priced biscuits too, some of these small convenience shops can have some good deals, if you are not fussy.

McHughs Off-Licence

Has minimum pricing just landed?

• Nah, they're a bunch of cowboys. There was a work do on that night and I popped in to get a couple of small items, the only reason I was there is because it was lashing out so didn't want to go to the Tesco or SSG shopping centre. They sell the large share bags of waffles/skips/meanies for €2.99 a pop. thought I had taken a pic of those as well. That works out at as a dearer price per/kg than fillet steak, FFS.

At one stage they were good value. They do fancy rolls and sambos as they are a "gourmet" spar, and they were decent enough for a fiver. Especially considering a chicken fillet roll with more than 3 fillings is around the same price. Plus, you generally didn't have to wait around as they were pre-made.

Anyway, around the time of the VAT increase they upped the price of these from a fiver to €6.50......30% increase overnight. The thing i cannot fathom is, that they used to sell out regularly. That night I took the pics, there were loads left over. How does someone in a position of authority not see that this is actually costing them money in the long run.

• 494561.jpg

Found it.

• Advertisement

How does someone in a position of authority not see that this is actually costing them money in the long run.

Totally agree, only place that can will end up is in the bin or heavily reduced.

Advertisement