Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long will Boris be Prime Minister of Great Britain?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

briany wrote: »
    It's worth asking whether many of those Labour heartland seats switched to Conservative because they like the policies of Boris and the Conservatives, or just because of frustration over Brexit and a distrust of Corbyn. It's entirely possible those heartland seats are there to be won back, but Labour will need to do some considerable soul searching to do it, and elect a leader who can once again inspire people in those areas.

It was more due to the Labour voters simply not voting than Labour voters actually switching to the Conservatives, although there were definitely some of those. Corbyn's leadership/image and Brexit fatigue seem to have been the major factors behind the Labour collapse, and those will both be resolved before the next election.

They are definitely there to be won back, but will Labour work out how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

It is true that the Tories borrowed votes from Labour due to the Brexit issue and these votes will be given back during Boris's first term. Nevertheless Johnson will survive into a second term as the Conservative majority is sufficiently large and Labour won't have got its act together fully by the time of the second election.

He'll eventually be replaced because he's not really motivated by detail and day-to-day administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

theguzman wrote: »
    They areprimarily Rural white English constituencies where poverty and decades of under investment has led to some pretty serious economic disadvantages, I don't think they will ever return to Labour in Labour's current shape and form now anyway.

Like Brexit, the Tory landslide is the rejection of political correctness, the EU and unrestricted mass unskilled immigration which has driven down wages, increased rents, seen enormous social and terror problems. The far-left and their holier than thou everyone else is a racist and wrong mantra is being flatly rejected worldwide as moderates abandon leftwing politics and swing to the far right and conservative alternatives.

When you have a party who is more concerned for the minority than the majority you know you have a problem, Labour ran on a slogan of for the many not the few, but in reality it was the exact reverse, welfare recipients were to be prioritised, cripple the majority in taxes and borrow borrow borrow, Boris is the sort of bull in a china shop who isn't afraid to upset people and this resonates well, he tells it like it is. You can be against mass immigration and not be a racist, it is not homophobic to have reservations about the LGBT agenda etc. Screaming and yelling abuse at people with concerns won't win them over, it will harden their stance, something the Labour far-left Momentum movement doesn't seem to get.

Your reasons for disliking Labour are not necessarily the reasons people didn't vote for them.

A lot hope it's a backlash against stuff they don't like in politics but I think the truth is that Boris united the entire right under a clear message and offered to move on from 3 years of frustration whereas Jeremy was the worst Labour leader in modern times and couldn't even tell people what would happen next.

I mean it would have even made sense for Labour Brexit voters to switch for this election.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Discussion of the Labour party has it's own thread here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038238

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

sxt wrote: »
    Piers Morgan gifting Donald trump with a Winston Churchill hat yesterday was very fitting and symbolic.

That is a Homburg hat that someone put a pinch into thinking it was a Fedora.
    Sartorial inelegance. Kinda sums up President Trumps inelegant and uncouth approach to the presidency.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

It is true that the Tories borrowed votes from Labour due to the Brexit issue and these votes will be given back during Boris's first term. Nevertheless Johnson will survive into a second term as the Conservative majority is sufficiently large and Labour won't have got its act together fully by the time of the second election.

He'll eventually be replaced because he's not really motivated by detail and day-to-day administration.

I get the feeling he's very lazy. Don't think that will suit the job he's in.

Should be his downfall - but not for 3/4 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Great Britain and the United Kingdom are not the same. I would have thought people as high IQ as the posters on this sort of forum would have been aware of a simple fact that a low IQ bum like me even knows. Calling the United Kingdom Great Britain is like calling Ireland Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Kinda funny now looking at the results of the poll to see that over 50% thought that Boris will last less than a year. As it stands today it's looking like 10+.

Incidentally, is Jo Swinson now the shortest ever serving Lib Dem leader? You know the wan who though she'd a good chance of being PM as a result of some big anti-brexit uprising. I really do think the spin that remainers put on the 'mood of the county' in an effort to overturn Brexit needs to exposed for that utter nonsense it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Good loser wrote: »
    I get the feeling he's very lazy. Don't think that will suit the job he's in.

Should be his downfall - but not for 3/4 years.
    I think the problem for Johnson is that most of the job has no glory attached. John Major in an interview said that for most decisions made, you don't see the end result. You just have to make the best decisions you can with the available information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Great Britain and the United Kingdom are not the same. I would have thought people as high IQ as the posters on this sort of forum would have been aware of a simple fact that a low IQ bum like me even knows. Calling the United Kingdom Great Britain is like calling Ireland Munster.

Don't we have Team GB in the Olympics, not team UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

jm08 wrote: »
    Don't we have Team GB in the Olympics, not team UK?

Yes, because athletes in NI are free to declare for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

With this type of news in mind can a Mod start a proper UK Government thread for all the non Brexit stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

With this type of news in mind can a Mod start a proper UK Government thread for all the non Brexit stuff.

Ta da!

Also available are the Labour Leader Thread and Scottish Independence

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

It is awful and shouldn't be allowed. Hopefully doesn't come here. Afraid of a few tough interviews and go for the easy ones

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

Why is there no UK general government thread? The above story is potentially important in terms of domestic politics but has little/nothing to do with Brexit per se.

I love that reducing that awful EU bureaucracy is going to cost about 1.5 bn a year in wages alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

Why is there no UK general government thread? The above story is potentially important in terms of domestic politics but has little/nothing to do with Brexit per se.

I love that reducing that awful EU bureaucracy is going to cost about 1.5 bn a year in wages alone!

Apologies I know it didn't have anything to do with Brexit but didn't know if it was worth creating a separate thread.

Not a criticism of you! Just a general observation really. A nice mod should start one I think :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

O'Neill wrote: »

Mod: Please do not just paste links here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know this home office resignation isn't part of brexit but the pretti Patel fans are out in force pilling on the guy. Pretti petal is the worst of this whole brexitteer crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

On the contrary, it is inextricably linked with how the UK government is getting Brexit done. Brexit is one step, initially the most important step, in removing almost all constraints, legal, judicial, procedural, on the power of the UK executive, itself a vitally necessary step towards the complete reshaping of UK society and economy, towards its intended goal of making the UK similar to the USA in as many ways as feasible.

It is also inextricably linked to the fact that many of the desired outcomes of Brexit (of the UK government and its more fervent Brexiteers) with respect to trading with the EU are simply impossible to achieve, so the Johnson régime is actively seeking to replace existing civil servants with true believers in the mistaken belief that reality can be overcome by will power.

This blog post by Chris Grey discusses the efforts of Johnson to overcome reality by undermining and dismantling British institutions that may hamper its power.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2020/02/brexit-is-going-feral.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

O'Neill wrote: »
    Horrible woman, completely devoid of empathy.

I've seen and I'm sure you have had managers in work and other places who pretti petal. Nasty people mostly and because they aren't pulled on it they keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've seen and I'm sure you have had managers in work and other places who pretti petal. Nasty people mostly and because they aren't pulled on it they keep doing it.

The civil servant refused to be bought off and is suing. That will be a very interesting inquiry with lots of witnesses for the prosecution lining up to tell their tales.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more insults please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have a feeling there is two of them in it. I think the best description of Patel was pony running at Grand National but apparently Sir Philip went missing when Amber Rudd was in trouble because of Windrush and she had to take the flak for his mishandling of the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have a feeling there is two of them in it. I think the best description of Patel was pony running at the horse races but apparently Sir Philip went missing when Amber Rudd was in trouble because of Windrush and she had to take the flak for his mishandling of the department.

Or maybe that's how the Tory party spun it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The idea that Amber Rudd could have been a patsy for wider department failings is ludicrous imho. No official in the home office duped her into misinforming the house committee about targets for deportations. It was pathetic to argue she was not aware of them. As for current imbroglio, will sit this out and see how it unfolds. Patel is horrible so very easy to dump on her without evidence. I'd give her that courtesy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Or maybe that's how the Tory party spun it.

Maybe. I can't stand Patel and I think quite a few people don't so it's easy to believe it's all her. All the reports I read (Sunday Times covered it a lot) create an impression it's two unpleasant people fighting. I suspect allegations of bullying junior staff are more serious.

• Advertisement

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement