Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free public transport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's why I said you were somewhat incorrect not fully incorrect. Also I was referring to the €2.50 and €2.25 fare bands are merged as a flat fare which will make a difference to dwell times as all validation will be done on the right hand validator not the the 2018 fare revisions when the 2.15 fare was increased to 2.25.

Fares have actually remained relatively stagnant since Leap has been introduced especially the 13+ stage fare band apart from the fares which have been merged into the same band over over the years. This I will admit has more so benefitted people making longer journies by bus as these fares have remained more or less the same as they were back in 2012.

How am I somewhat incorrect? A bus journey that cost €1.60 in 2011 now costs €2.25. Which part is somewhat incorrect?

A 40% increase in a period of low inflation is relatively stagnant?

Longer journeys do appear to be better value in comparison. I guess I should stay on the bus longer than I need to in order to get value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

howiya wrote: »
    How am I somewhat incorrect? A bus journey that cost €1.60 in 2011 now costs €2.25. Which part is somewhat incorrect?

A 40% increase in a period of low inflation is relatively stagnant?

Longer journeys do appear to be better value in comparison. I guess I should stay on the bus longer than I need to in order to get value for money.

You suggested in your original post that the €1.60 was €1.60 across the board when it was actually divided into two fare categories a €1.60 and €1.80 fare band back in 2011.

I was referring to the 13+ stage fare which was €2.40 in 2012 and is now €2.50 in 2018 which is hardly a huge increase. Again this is something that is on an individual case by case basis but it sounds like you have been unlucky in the series of fare revisions since 2011, I for one can say I'm paying more or less the same for a trip into the city centre which is a 13+ stage journey as I was back in 2012.

Of course there is going to be some winners and losers when it comes to moving to a simplified fare structure and towards a flat fare model.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

devnull wrote: »
    Dwell time is a major problem though, more than traffic a lot of the time, and full use of two doors and removal of driver interaction would mean buses spent seconds waiting at busy stops and not minutes.

You don't need to abolish fares to do that.
    Varta wrote: »
    But if there were no fares more people would use public transport. Congestion charges may not be necessary with free public transport and bus priority. At the moment there are many situations whereby a bus must yield to traffic to get back into the flow. Buses should always have priority and traffic should yield. It would require nothing more than a rule change. As I said, a near car-free city is inevitable, especially at peak times, so people are going to have to adapt whether they like it or not.

This is a naive analysis. The problem is not that buses are going around the city half-empty because fares are too high. And saying a car-free city is inevitable is all pie in the sky without a practical means of bringing that about.

Once you have free fares then what? Reduced congestion means more incentive to take your private car, not less. The only way to counteract this is (quite a high level of) congestion charging. You can make the disincentive of a congestion charge much higher than the incentive of a free fare would be. e.g. if a return PT trip is a max of €5 a day, make the congestion charge €10 a day and invest the money in PT capacity.

What about free fares giving an incentive to walkers/cyclists to give up their sustainable mode for free PT? We don't want to incentivise that and it'll only make the capacity problem worse, while losing the population health benefits of walking/cycling.
    But if you have to squeeze out one of the above, the general lane with all the 80% empty cars would be a good starting point.

How do you do that without also eliminating all commercial traffic, etc?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sharper wrote: »
    I agree the interplay is complex but if you consider a bus running length of 60 minutes it would have to be one hell of a saving to translate into even a single extra journey during the peak period.

It might well get people where they want to go faster but it won't get more people there.
    are there any stats collected about how long buses spend stationary at lights, vs. stationary at stops, vs. stationary in traffic?
    in short, what's the biggest contributor to buses not moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

The people saying that something like this would cost the taxpayer seem to be missing the important fact that in most cases taxpayers are the only people paying for public transport already. Taxpayers are already paying for free public transport for over a million people in this country, removing the need to pay at the point of use just streamlines the process of using and administering public transport. It could potentially have multiple advantages;

Quicker loading and unloading times, leading to quicker commutes
    No need to administer payment networks like Leap
    Reduced maintenance costs as no need for repairs to Leap terminals, train turnstiles, pay stations at Luas and Dart stops etc.
    No need to pay for ticket inspectors
    Reduced burden on civil service as they no longer need to take care of the massive workload for processing travel pass applications

I think anyone suggesting that making public transport free would cause a massive spike in demand during peak times is crazy. Nobody is going to get on a packed bus or Luas because it's free unless they need to actually get on. What it could do however is incentive people to get out of the car and use public transport more at off peak hours. Want to head to the city on a saturday for shopping? No need to drive and deal with finding a place to park when you can hop on a free bus. Visiting a mate in Cork? Grab the train and no need to worry about being too hung over to drive the next day.

We need to move away from a model where driving is the first choice for people and that doesn't just apply to getting in and out of work. The morning commute is so ingrained in peoples routine that it's probably the hardest part to change but free public transport could encourage people to ditch the cars for everything else. Once using public transport has been normalised it becomes much easier politically to justify spending more on it. There's an attitude in Ireland where public transport is considered a second class mode of transport, a necessary evil that has to be put up with in order to get to work, rather than a convenient alternative to driving. We need to try and do things to change that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Stephen15 wrote: »
    You suggested in your original post that the €1.60 was €1.60 across the board when it was actually divided into two fare categories a €1.60 and €1.80 fare band back in 2011.

I was referring to the 13+ stage fare which was €2.40 in 2012 and is now €2.50 in 2018 which is hardly a huge increase. Again this is something that is on an individual case by case basis but it sounds like you have been unlucky in the series of fare revisions since 2011, I for one can say I'm paying more or less the same for a trip into the city centre which is a 13+ stage journey as I was back in 2012.

Of course there is going to be some winners and losers when it comes to moving to a simplified fare structure and towards a flat fare model.

I didn’t suggest anything of the sort.

You however did say fares have remained stagnant and then went on to say especially the 13+stage fare. So you weren’t only referring to that fare.

It’s quite bizarre that people are arguing against value for money when it comes to public transport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What it could do however is incentive people to get out of the car and use public transport more at off peak hours. Want to head to the city on a saturday for shopping? No need to drive and deal with finding a place to park when you can hop on a free bus. Visiting a mate in Cork? Grab the train and no need to worry about being too hung over to drive the next day.
    and you wouldn't have to go full bore on 'free' transport. have discounted prices for off-peak travel. e.g. 50% reduction in fares if not travelling between 7am and 10am, and 4pm to 7pm, mon-fri, for example.
    or, if you've a leap card, allow two bus journeys per day for free off-peak, and charge normal for the rest.

Is public transport free anyway in the world?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

are there any stats collected about how long buses spend stationary at lights, vs. stationary at stops, vs. stationary in traffic? in short, what's the biggest contributor to buses not moving?

Depends on the route I'd say. Dwell time was a major issue on cross city routes since when I took the bus regularly to work, but certainly isn't as much of a big issue on the kind of routes that Go-Ahead are running for example.
    You don't need to abolish fares to do that.

I know, I never said we did :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is public transport free anyway in the world?

For locals in Tallinn for quite some time now. Requires ID albeit rarely checked.

• Advertisement

and you wouldn't have to go full bore on 'free' transport. have discounted prices for off-peak travel. e.g. 50% reduction in fares if not travelling between 7am and 10am, and 4pm to 7pm, mon-fri, for example.
    or, if you've a leap card, allow two bus journeys per day for free off-peak, and charge normal for the rest.

You could look at introducing discounts for off peak travel rather than free transport. Doing that though means you don't get any potential cost and hassle reductions in running the service though. Everyone still needs to have a Leap card and has to remember to top it up, and someone still needs to fix the ticket machines when they break.

The people saying that something like this would cost the taxpayer seem to be missing the important fact that in most cases taxpayers are the only people paying for public transport already.

Most? What proportion of journeys are "free" and what proportion pay a fare?

Taxpayers are already paying for free public transport for over a million people in this country

Most of whom are retired, don't live near PT or are otherwise not daily commuters, so are not relevant to this discussion which is about making life better for daily commuters with increased speed/capacity.

Life ain't always empty.

so are not relevant to this discussion which is about making life better for daily commuters
    who decided that? seems to me the thread started as a general one about free PT.

howiya wrote: »
    I didn’t suggest anything of the sort.

You however did say fares have remained stagnant and then went on to say especially the 13+stage fare. So you weren’t only referring to that fare.

It’s quite bizarre that people are arguing against value for money when it comes to public transport.

I'm arguing for a simplified flat fare structure. Stages 8-13 has also remained fairly flat too €2.10 back in 2013 now €2.25

Most? What proportion of journeys are "free" and what proportion pay a fare?

Most of whom are retired, don't live near PT or are otherwise not daily commuters, so are not relevant to this discussion which is about making life better for daily commuters with increased speed/capacity.

I can't find numbers of total journeys put according to this https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/free-travel-for-nearly-1m-people-cost-77m-in-2017-469806.html 1.2 million people had access to public transport for free in 2017 and only 21% of travel pass holders rarely or never used them, meaning nearly 1 million people use them somewhat regularly. Suggesting that 1 million users of public transport are not relevant to the discussion is ridiculous.

The topic of the thread is public transport and whether or not is should be free at the point of use. It is not about increasing speed or capacity. Public transport is for everyone, not just people who use it to get in and out work. That was the entire point of my post.

I can't find numbers of total journeys put according to this https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/free-travel-for-nearly-1m-people-cost-77m-in-2017-469806.html 1.2 million people had access to public transport for free in 2017 and only 21% of travel pass holders rarely or never used them, meaning nearly 1 million people use them somewhat regularly. Suggesting that 1 million users of public transport are not relevant to the discussion is ridiculous.

The topic of the thread is public transport and whether or not is should be free at the point of use. It is not about increasing speed or capacity. Public transport is for everyone, not just people who use it to get in and out work. That was the entire point of my post.

The idea of free public transport for all is ridiculous. A real loony left ideal. Shur, someone else will pay.
    The issue of free travel for the elderly and carers, etc needs looking at. It should be confined to local travel, off peak only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

are there any stats collected about how long buses spend stationary at lights, vs. stationary at stops, vs. stationary in traffic?
    in short, what's the biggest contributor to buses not moving?

It's all doable with the data available but I only ever see the source of problems used in a very general way such as the improvements delivered as part of Bus Connects.

This paper looks interesting though http://www.jctconsultancy.co.uk/Symposium/Symposium2018/PapersForDownload/Data%20Driven%20Decisions%20For%20Centralised%20Bus%20Priority%20in%20Dublin%20City%20-%20Margaret%20ODonnell%20-%20Dublin%20City%20Council.pdf
    As mentioned earlier, using data visualisation tools and the SIRI-VM data from Dublin Bus,
    we can map and quantify these delays. Another data set from Dublin Bus is the “Unscheduled
    Stop” details, which measures stationary time for buses on route. This information can be
    mapped on a per bus stop location as delays before and after a bus stop, as presented via a
    dashboard in Figure 11. This clearly presents the North Quays as the most congested, and that
    route experiences the most delays. Figure 11, shows that for a typical week, there were 517.8
    minutes of accumulated delays for all buses servicing that stop.

The idea of free public transport for all is ridiculous. A real loony left ideal. Shur, someone else will pay.
    The issue of free travel for the elderly and carers, etc needs looking at. It should be confined to local travel, off peak only.
    according to shane ross, it would cost €600m extra a year to provide this. how much does traffic congestion cost us?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Getting to the stage where there ought to be a citizens/commuter Assembly about all this.

Those in charge are not listening to commuters. Well Lord Ross has a driver surely, so he can avoid the great unwashed, apart from publicity shots that is.

There is so much that could be fixed relatively cheaply. But it involves massively reducing car traffic. Huh, not happening.

But BusConnects and Metro are in the pipeline, 7 -10 years hence though. Still it's positive.

My thinking is that all those employed should be able to avail of the Taxsaver scheme at 41% + PRSI as salary sacrifice, no matter what their tax rate is. Maybe even 50%. Revenue will be scratching their heads at that one, but I am sure it could be worked out somehow.

Encourage commuters to use PT. But I do realise that capacity is an issue. Still....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

My thinking is that all those employed should be able to avail of the Taxsaver scheme at 41% + PRSI as salary sacrifice, no matter what their tax rate is. Maybe even 50%. Revenue will be scratching their heads at that one, but I am sure it could be worked out somehow.

To be honest the taxsaver scheme is already unwieldy and people find it hard to calculate how they're making savings. If you're going to apply savings beyond what people pay in tax then it's no longer a tax saving scheme and people just won't get it anyway.

One big problem with the current system is it requires the cooperation of the employer. This really shouldn't be necessary and people should be able to just apply for it and then get the saving in their tax automatically.

Another is the system is basically cover for CIE and DB to have ridiculous annual ticket prices. Without the government handing over the tax saving there would be zero benefit to having an annual ticket which is nuts when you consider you're paying upfront for a full year's worth of journeys.

• Advertisement

I am against free public transport but would be personally of the opinion that public transport fares should be completely free of VAT especially considering the fare is already subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

and in true irish form like parents with medical cards bringing their kids to the doctor for every cough , it will be filled with a certain amount of people just abusing it because they can.

In true Irish myth maybe, like your example! Having a medical card doesn't make people go to the Dr more often. People are either the type to go for every cough or they aren't, money has little if anything to do with it.

In true Irish myth maybe, like your example! Having a medical card doesn't make people go to the Dr more often. People are either the type to go for every cough or they aren't, money has little if anything to do with it.

Doctors saw a large increase in GP visits for under-6s when it became free.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Medical card and DVC holders go to the GP significantly more than those without, about 40% more. Possibly the private patients should actually be going at those times and aren't, damaging their health

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It really isn't. If you are paying for the doctor you are less likely to go since you don't want to cough up the money. I only ever go to the doctor these days if something doesn't right itself. Getting an appointment and forking out €60 even if I'll get a percentage back eventually on my insurance isn't attractive.

Many people who take jobs who are on probation only get paid for sick days if they have a doctors certificate. Many view that paying €60+ to see a doctor to get a days pay simply isn't worth it and go to work anyway as at least that way you are getting paid.

according to shane ross, it would cost €600m extra a year to provide this. how much does traffic congestion cost us?
    coincidentally, this is the same as the much-touted galway bypass is forecast to cost. and which is not without controversy, as many campaigners claim it would be a complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

L1011 wrote: »
    Medical card and DVC holders go to the GP significantly more than those without, about 40% more. Possibly the private patients should actually be going at those times and aren't, damaging their health
    Do you have a source for this please?

wouldn't surprise me, though. those who can go to the doctor without cost, when they should do, do; those who have to pay, don't go to the doctor when they should do.
    it's not a criticism of a free medical card, it's a criticism of not having a free medical card.

Do you have a source for this please?

2013 figures are only 32%, 40% was during the depths of the crash from an equivalent set of figures:

https://nagp.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NAGP_2017_Pre-Budget_Submission.pdf

There are cases of people taking the piss with medical cards but the bulk of extra GMS visits are visits that probably should have happened for the private patient
    too but didn't due to the cost.

And before anyone tries using themselves and/or their family to claim 5.8 or 7.71 visits a year is abnormally high - AVERAGE. You're clearly quite healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

L1011 wrote: »
    2013 figures are only 32%, 40% was during the depths of the crash from an equivalent set of figures:

https://nagp.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NAGP_2017_Pre-Budget_Submission.pdf

There are cases of people taking the piss with medical cards but the bulk of extra GMS visits are visits that probably should have happened for the private patient
    too but didn't due to the cost.

And before anyone tries using themselves and/or their family to claim 5.8 or 7.71 visits a year is abnormally high - AVERAGE. You're clearly quite healthy.

I'm not sure a GP submission for more money is to be considered an independent source on such things. The first paper they are referencing was based on a study of six GP practices. I'm not sure I'd base too many conclusions on the Irish health system based on six GP practices. And they didn't actually count the number of private patients in each practice to assess the attendance rate - they just estimated them.

The second ESRI paper includes the following;

Using various regression methods and the same data source that we use in this paper, the estimates of the effect of medical card eligibility on GP visiting range from 1.8 extra GP visits per annum using pooled cross-section data from 1995-2001, to 1.5 extra GP visitsper annum using pooled cross-section data from 19873, 1995 and 2001 (Madden et al., 2005). Using longitudinal data, which distinguishes between current and permanent medical card eligibility and allows us to control for observed as well as unobserved variation in characteristics across the population, the effects are 0.3 and 0.6 extra GP visits per annum for current and permanent medical card eligibility respectively (Nolan, 2006).

It's not really clear what characteristics they controlled for - age, disability?

It's not a huge stretch or surprise to suggest that poorer people generally have poorer health, and therefore may well require that 0.3/0.6 extra GP visit per annum.

Advertisement