Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Actually an interesting story on the other lens I mentioned : the Carl Zeiss 50mm Planar F/0.7
    “BARRY LYNDON” by director Stanley Kubrick: THE FULL STORY OF THE FAMOUS F/0.7 LENSES

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    You'll definitely take brilliant pictures with it so :pac:

Except most of the expensive leica cameras and lenses never get used to take pictures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,982 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

quite an interesting twitter thread where photographs play a central role:

https://twitter.com/JamesAALongman/status/1056730905283162112

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any good fireworks to be shot tomorrow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,982 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the story of earthrise; not explicitly about photography or the photograph, but they feature heavily:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm looking for cheap prints of medium size (~8x10 ish). Don't need to be high quality, they are just some images I need to look at for reference.

Anyone know where I can order these cheap with decent delivery times (a few days) but not paying like 1.50 per image? I have ~140 images.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

https://www.joe.ie/unfiltered/competition-nationwide-billboard-656868

Photo competition, first prize? Your photo featured in a nationwide Carlsberg ad giving you.....exposure! You can't put a price in that! Not even €1000 or a red cent from a company that make about €2 billion annual profit.

Link isn't working.

Effects wrote: »
    Link isn't working.

They removed it, changed competition prize to include a camera (no details on make or model) https://www.joe.ie/joe-competitions/competition-send-us-best-photos-nature-city-657804?fbclid=IwAR1vWsyc6OUroYD2zehwCxQti9IiW64YewMTmMsyMSiqfBYkyezajZljJCw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A brand new DSLR even entry level might be a nice carrot for a beginner. But in the T&C of any of their comps "you may need to sign a publicity release". So would the be expecting full hand over of the images?

Just went back to try and do a better edit on some shots from an old trip.

JPEG. Back before I started shooting RAW. Goddamnit.

GBX wrote: »
    A brand new DSLR even entry level might be a nice carrot for a beginner. But in the T&C of any of their comps "you may need to sign a publicity release". So would the be expecting full hand over of the images?

Worldwide use of your photo.....

YouTube--Leica Hall of Fame. Mini documentaries, profiling some photographers who used Leica.

we were just down in the botanic gardens, there's a photo exhibition from the an oige photo competition upstairs.
    by far the best photo on show there didn't win a prize (and it looks much better in the flesh):

https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/13174168/

Someone took a photo of a portrait of David Lynch, then uploaded it to a stock website, and then Big Issue licensed the image for use from the stock image website. Interesting to see where this copyright infringement ends up.

Nadav Kander

Im super jealous at the fvcks that got EOS R's for 95 bucks.

certainly not a new video, but if you've not seen it, quite interesting to watch:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

^Hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bought a new full frame camera to go along with my Eos R. An Eos 650 SLR film camera. Bought on ebay for 15eur delivered. The camera was the first Eos camera released by Canon, so it supports a lot of my existing lenses. It looked brand new when I took it out of the box, absolutely perfect. Honestly it's cleaner than my Eos R is, and at 32 years old that's not bad going. Auto-focus works, the metering system is weird but functional. All in all it's a beauty to shoot with. Looking forward to putting a few rolls through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Interesting that working with those old photos has made him question the value of taking pictures today. Even though I moved to the "unlimited" potential of digital more than 20 years ago, I still think back to the days when I'd be trying to squeeze 28 shots out of a 24-exposure film, and having to wait for a month or more for that last photo-worthy shot to finish the film ...

But that guy who shot all those rolls and never developed them :eek: - there must be a documentary to be made out of that story alone!

Now here's an engagement shoot with an original/odd/funny ending

https://www.boredpanda.com/friday-the-13th-engagement-photos-brandon-gray/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Bought a new full frame camera to go along with my Eos R. An Eos 650 SLR film camera. Bought on ebay for 15eur delivered. The camera was the first Eos camera released by Canon, so it supports a lot of my existing lenses. It looked brand new when I took it out of the box, absolutely perfect. Honestly it's cleaner than my Eos R is, and at 32 years old that's not bad going. Auto-focus works, the metering system is weird but functional. All in all it's a beauty to shoot with. Looking forward to putting a few rolls through it.

I have one with the basic 50mm F1.8. It's clear why the automation took off - especially when coupled with a 420EZ flash unit.

It's a bit big, but I ran a few rolls through it at Worldcon 2 weeks ago - including making full use of focus tracking servo mode, and the auto fill flash to take pictures of some knights in shining armour going at it.

The best thing about it is how utterly fuss-free it is. It just sort of works without much, if anything to fiddle with.

If I get some money in the new year I might try find a new lens for it - something that'll work with the barely used digital EOS floating around. A 35-70 F4 maybe....

this is rather irritating; i have a google pixel 3, and one of the main reasons i chose it was the camera. i upgraded to android 10 last week, and for whatever reason - which i cannot fathom - they've removed the colour temperature and white balance controls from the inbuilt camera app. which is a little puzzling.

• What do you call a tripod with a rotating center that allows you to shoot directly down? This isn't a setup for a joke. I'm looking for one and not sure what to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure the name, but I know some from Vanguard allow for inverting the centre column

https://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/collections/tripods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

What do you call a tripod with a rotating center that allows you to shoot directly down? This isn't a setup for a joke. I'm looking for one and not sure what to google.

I know Manfrotto does a few which support this. https://youtu.be/jOW9xp5Bi3A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Went in to town to pick up some film for a trip in two weeks and get soime Tri-X developed to test an aquisition. Left with a new lens

I'd been thinking about it.

It is nice to own one 'new' piece of equipment, with warranty and all that. No decade-old shirt fibres in the glass, or that microcrumb of bread going mouldy, or the ancient cleaning marks or slack in the focus. It's brand new.

It was - literally, 16 times the price of the body.

I'm genuinely amazed that it worked immediately on a 32 year old body. But, I suppose, you'd expect as much.

The 650 is getting the flight ticket this time - because this time I want some pictures of me. Last time I brought a manual camera I was the one who had to stay behind the lens.

Advertisement