Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*EMERGENCY*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Interestingly 911 works here too, is it due to many people just watching too much US television or is it to aid US tourists I wonder? Do any other nations emergency codes work here?

911 doesn’t work here. Some local phone numbers even start with 911.

Some (not all) mobile handsets can translate 911 or Australian 000 into a 112 call.

112 and 999 are the only working emergency numbers here.

Also 112 will work if you don’t have a valid SIM card, or if your keypad is locked - overrides the pins on all phones.

A 112 call will also go to any available mobile network, if yours is not in coverage.

Basically when you dial an emergency number on a mobile phone it actually sends a specific emergency instruction to the network. It’s not just phone number. Enhanced 112 will also send your location information to the operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

dotsman wrote: »
    Guys, 112 was rolled out almost 23 years ago as the default emergency number of this country. It is hardly a new fad! and it's only 3 feckin digits to remember!

And the fact that loads of Irish people have forgotten about 112 tells you they should of just stuck with 999. I wish 999 was the only number, I'll have forgotton all about 112 in a few months. People can forget 3 digits when they go decades without having to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I had a discussion with a colleague once as to why 999 was chosen back in the day. He reckoned it was the fastest number to dial on a rotary phone but I reckoned it was the slowest - the dial took ages to spin back for another number for a 9.

So I reckoned 111 would have been much quicker. House would be ashes by the time you'd dialled 999. Maybe the Europeans were on to something with 112.

Not really an issue now of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Greyfox wrote: »
    And the fact that loads of Irish people have forgotten about 112 tells you they should of just stuck with 999. I wish 999 was the only number, I'll have forgotton all about 112 in a few months. People can forget 3 digits when they go decades without having to use it.

999 all the way. Not an octaganerian.

They didn’t use 111 on a rotary dial phone because a line fault or a few taps on the hook could accidentally connect to it.

111 is used in New Zealand as the dials were different there. Ironically, reversed. 1 = 10 pulses and so on. So 111 there was a different and more complex pattern.

Landlines used “loop disconnect dialling” - each time you break the circuit quickly is counted as a dial pulse by the exchange. So tap, tap, tap on the receiver = 1 1 1 or, if there was a loose wire it could dial it.

To avoid that they used 999 as it was easy to remember & required deliberate action to call it.

112 was the German code originally, it was selected because it 11X codes were unused in most European countries, so it was easy to implement.

Also on push button phones having the same digit pressed 3 times risks accidental calls. That’s why the German and American approach uses more than 1 digit.

We had tons of problems here when Vodafone voicemail was 121. That’s why all voicemail was moved to 171. People kept dialling 112. It was literally causing huge numbers of calls to 112.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You can ring 112 from anywhere in the world it's the same as ringing 999 here.

Europe, not the world.

Europe, not the world.

On a GSM type mobile, it’s hardwired into the standard and works everywhere, including the United States. It just sends a “emergency call” which the network will just connect to whatever its emergency call service is e.g. 911 or 111 or 08 or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

In emergencies I tend to prefer Cheesecake over all others

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What number do you automatically choose?
    ...in Ireland.

999 or 112
    The only time I dialed it was 112.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They have changed it recently to 0118 999 881 999 119 725....3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭This is it

They have changed it recently to 0118 999 881 999 119 725....3

Pretty sure you can email too

"FIRE...FIRE.... PLEASE HELP"

Wait, no.

"FIRE... PLEASE HELP... FIRE!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

999 is hardwired into my brain, same with my wife, the kids also know to call 999 in an emergency!

911 makes me think Porsche :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

PARlance wrote: »
    112 wouldn't have been half as much fun on a rotary phone.

ah thank you! That is what we had when I was younger and yes! The sound of it!

112 is a new-fangled notion! lol..999 is IT!

sbs2010 wrote: »
    I had a discussion with a colleague once as to why 999 was chosen back in the day. He reckoned it was the fastest number to dial on a rotary phone but I reckoned it was the slowest - the dial took ages to spin back for another number for a 9.

So I reckoned 111 would have been much quicker. House would be ashes by the time you'd dialled 999. Maybe the Europeans were on to something with 112.

Hyperbole much!

And 999 is easier to find and dial in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sbs2010 wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999_(emergency_telephone_number)#History
    The 9-9-9 format was chosen based on the 'button A' and 'button B' design of pre-payment coin-operated public payphones in wide use (first introduced in 1925) which could be easily modified to allow free use of the 9 digit on the rotary dial in addition to the 0 digit (then used to call the operator), without allowing free use of numbers involving other digits; other combinations of free call 9 and 0 were later used for more purposes, including multiples of 9 (to access exchanges before Subscriber trunk dialling came into use) as a fail-safe for attempted emergency calls, e.g. 9 or 99, reaching at least an operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

440Hertz wrote: »
    They didn’t use 111 on a rotary dial phone because a line fault or a few taps on the hook could accidentally connect to it.

111 is used in New Zealand as the dials were different there. Ironically, reversed. 1 = 10 pulses and so on. So 111 there was a different and more complex pattern.

999 was chosen because it was the least likely to be dialed accidentally on rotary phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

And is Australia 666 ?
    In Australia it's 000. Pronounced "triple zero".

112 also works if you are using a mobile phone, but not with a landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

And is Australia 666 ?

666, I think that's the devil's number, isn't it...

😈

stoneill wrote: »
    999 was chosen because it was the least likely to be dialed accidentally on rotary phones.

Well, it was one of the least likely to be dialled accidentally.

111 was considered, but it’s too easy to accidentally dial due to a wiring fault, work on the line or someone repeatedly tapping the hook. (This is used in NZ but as I mentioned they had inverted dials. So 111 is actually pulsed out as 000 elsewhere - 10 pulses).

CEPT, now ETSI, which standardises European telecommunication systems introduced 112 in 1972. It’s been planned in for that long, as has 00 for international calls and so on. Some countries, like Germany, adopted it much earlier than others. The EU ultimately mandated its use to make contacting emergency services more straight forward and it’s baked into the GSM/3GPP standards, which have their origin in ETSI.

999 is actually a bit problematic nowadays, as it’s one digit pressed repeatedly on a keypad, which is really easy to do by say sitting on a phone or a kid playing.

Increasingly, landlines are irrelevant and rotary dial is, at this stage, a museum piece. I wouldn’t even think a lot of younger people will have ever used a dial phone. I would doubt many would even know how. It’s only ever seen in old movies and is about as familiar as telegrams or non-decimal currency.

It’s extremely unlikely 999 will ever be removed as the cost of mapping it to 112 is minuscule. However, 112 is the code that will be advertised as it’s the most useful & works in far more places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Remember one of the lads took my phone one day and called 999 saying I was stuck down a well and threw it back at me.

Was called back immediately by a ferocious Cork accent saying "We'll pick you up you little scumbag".

Felt bad for those seconds at the time (20 years ago).

That has stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭con747

Whichever my dying fingers can press quickest.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I was told on a first aid course that 112 would hunt for operators all over but that 999 would only patch in to the nearest team if it was available to answer.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Well, I suppose when we were kids it was always 'dial 999' and it's just ingrained. I can NEVER remember 112. I don't think it's about being slow on the uptake, more about how you react in an emergency with the adrenaline pumping. In those circumstances it will be the number you've heard reeled off and repeated since you were small.

absolutely. Although I have thankfully rarely used it at all. Out here we have four emergency services; coastguard/medical evacuation as well as the usual three.. All via 999

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭anplaya27

Neither. I'm Deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Do you suspect immigrant or traveller involvement?

Stray Azeri ballistic missile would be my guess.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

banie01 wrote: »
    At last...

"Blast it with piss" is most definitely a viable option here!
    Reminds me of grafitti on the wall of a pub in Cork.
    "If you can piss this high Cork Fire Brigade needs you"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Remember one of the lads took my phone one day and called 999 saying I was stuck down a well and threw it back at me.

Was called back immediately by a ferocious Cork accent saying "We'll pick you up you little scumbag".

Felt bad for those seconds at the time (20 years ago).

That has stuck with me.

That Timmy is a real hero

• Advertisement

999 isn’t going away anytime soon, but 112 is the more useful code.

The main thing is you can get though to the emergency services early on one number in Ireland and always have been.

If you compare our setup with say France, there was a whole list of two digit emergency numbers.

112 works in France but it’s, for some reason, the most resistant to implementing a single emergency number:

Instead, you’ve this complicated list:

15: Ambulance (for other urgent medical call-outs)
    17: Police / Gendarmes
    18: Fire brigade & also sort of the main port of call for health related emergencies.
    114: Deaf / Non verbal - for SMS or Fax
    115: Emergency Shelter
    119: Reporting child abuse
    191: Air rescue (Plane accident/disappearance)
    196: Sea and lake rescue
    197: Terror attacks/kidnapping hotline

There were plenty of other countries that has multiple, separate numbers for emergency services too. So you can see why 112 was really important across Europe. If you’re travelling around, you need to be able to communicate in an emergency without having to dig out a telephone directory and look up local codes.

It was the same with things like the international access code being changed to 00. Before that, you had a different code in every country, which was why mobiles had to adopt that + symbol at the start of numbers. Countries adopted 00 bit by bit from the early 70s right through to the late 1990s.

There’s now a range of 116 number being rolled out for emergency supports such as the Samaritans and equivalents are now on 116 123 (free)

Ireland and the U.K. were amongst the first places to begin using those harmonised codes and they make a whole lot of sense.

Advertisement