Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you like to live in a mansion?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Strumms wrote: »
    Exactly If you have staff which you could do if you could afford that gaff then you wouldn’t have to lift a finger.

I’d just have them in on say Mondays and Thursday to do a deep clean inside... it’s happy days. Everything else and in between I’d do...

Garden I’d take care of myself, ride on mower. Kill an hour.

"Afford that gaff"? It's 600k not 6 million. Most 3 and 4 beds in ok areas of Dublin go for close to that price and they're not being bought by people on 7 figure salaries. It's not a kip but it's nothing special. Bland is a word on here that sums it up. And it's in South Cork so you can enjoy sitting by the window from October to April staring out at the pelting rain. "Oh, here's the drenched postman. Second time this week. What a result! Will u come in for a tae, Fiachra?" "I won't, bai." "Ah will u SHTOP, you're perished but sure tisn't as bad a yesterday".

In a place like that you have to drive fucking everywhere. So going for pints is a non-starter. And if you've got kids they have to be driven everywhere too. It's not a farm so the sprogs don't have the joy of playing with calves and chickens and climbing hay-bales and learning farming skills like driving a tractor or helping out with the milking or whatnot. When they hit their teen years what are they going to do in a place like that? Playstation?

Nightmare.

Anyway I do live in a mansion.......a FATIMA MANSION :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"Afford that gaff"? It's 600k not 6 million. Most 3 and 4 beds in ok areas of Dublin go for close to that price and they're not being bought by people on 7 figure salaries. It's not a kip but it's nothing special. Bland is a word on here that sums it up. And it's in South Cork so you can enjoy sitting by the window from October to April staring out at the pelting rain. "Oh, here's the drenched postman. Second time this week. What a result! Will u come in for a tae, Fiachra?" "I won't, bai." "Ah will u SHTOP, you're perished but sure tisn't as bad a yesterday".

In a place like that you have to drive fucking everywhere. So going for pints is a non-starter. And if you've got kids they have to be driven everywhere too. It's not a farm so the sprogs don't have the joy of playing with calves and chickens and climbing hay-bales and learning farming skills like driving a tractor or helping out with the milking or whatnot. When they hit their teen years what are they going to do in a place like that? Playstation?

Nightmare.

Anyway I do live in a mansion.......a FATIMA MANSION :pac:

It's in East Cork, between Midleton and Rathcormac, and a lot you know about it, biy. :p

Wolftown wrote: »
    The spite, jealously and begrudgery is surprising in this thread! Going by the majority of replies we should all be living in sheds, driving the cheapest/crappiest cars and wearing rags. Coming from a semi-d owner, I would love to have the space offered in that house. Anyone running it down is just downright jealous, it's kind of laughable and sad at the same time. Sure why would you want space for more than 2 chairs in your garden? Why would you ever want space for more than 2 cars in the driveway? Why have more than 1 bathroom? Because it's nice to have, that's why!

I'm not spiteful, jealous or in anyway begrudging. I own a 800k apartment in Amsterdam on a canal. I could afford that "mansion" in a minute. So you can bin your jealousy and begrudgery drivel. I don't like it one bit. Your problem is that you have to aspire to wealth no matter how classless and distasteful it is and anyone who has a contrary opinion is a "begrudger". You also go for the lame worn out binary scenario whereby if you don't like this obscene box then the only other option is living in a tent.

Please.

...if you don't like this obscene box....

Oh come on, at worst it's a bland farmhouse-style effort with too much lawn. But "obscene"?? :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    It's in East Cork, between Midleton and Rathcormac, and a lot you know about it, biy. :p

Ah bollocks man, Midleton, Youghal, Cobh etc they're all on the South Coast. I know Caark well. I would classify Charleville, Mitchelstown et al as NORTH Cork.

• Advertisement

Ah bollocks man, Midleton, Youghal, Cobh etc they're all on the South Coast. I know Caark well. I would classify Charleville, Mitchelstown et al as NORTH Cork.

You evidently have no idea where Lisgoold is. Man. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was once having lunch in Patrick Guilbaud and you were having dinner with your wife and daughter on a nearby table. Your daughter is quite attractive, could you put in a word for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm not spiteful, jealous or in anyway begrudging. I own a 800k apartment in Amsterdam on a canal. I could afford that "mansion" in a minute....

Please.

Is that what you say to all the boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

That's not exactly a "mansion".

I think Mansions by definition start around 10,000 Ft?? I could be wrong. That is an average size family home where I live..;)

PLUS...0.7 acres???? Ahhhhh heyar ya want a little privacy... something like 20 acres would be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Wolftown wrote: »
    The spite, jealously and begrudgery is surprising in this thread! Going by the majority of replies we should all be living in sheds, driving the cheapest/crappiest cars and wearing rags. Coming from a semi-d owner, I would love to have the space offered in that house. Anyone running it down is just downright jealous, it's kind of laughable and sad at the same time. Sure why would you want space for more than 2 chairs in your garden? Why would you ever want space for more than 2 cars in the driveway? Why have more than 1 bathroom? Because it's nice to have, that's why!

"You're only jealous" is such a lazy argument. I can understand why someone would want that space, and also the luxury of being able to choose which toilet to take a crap in. Although I'd say it gets confusing if you happen to be in a room which is equidistant between two bathrooms when the need arises. But I find that particular house very ugly and quite typical of an era best forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Looks like a typical "poor" farmers house.

jimgoose wrote: »
    You evidently have no idea where Lisgoold is. Man. :D

I know that the best curry chips are in Bantry....AND the best sherry trifle at the Bay Hotel.

Go way and look at the cartoons in the Evening Echo, ya mountainy man.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Is that what you say to all the boys?

Only to the ones who claim that i'm jealous or begrudging.

Not to you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Odelay wrote: »
    Vulgar, the only word to describe that house.

Hahaha. Would ya stop. If you could afford it you’d have it too.

People on this thread are hilarious.

Oh it’s too big, oh how vulgar, oh why would you need such a big house, wah wah wah

So much jealousy.

If someone can afford the house and want the space and luxury I see nothing wrong with it.

I think it looks great tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

We’ve a couple of mansion owners in the extended family. It’s more of a look at us thing than anything else, and as I like to remind them it’s easy to build a mansion when you get a site for free and sink that as the deposit against the mortgage.
    One family has over 20 doors and windows on the downstairs floor and 2 of every room, 2 sitting rooms, 2 kitchens, I kid you not.
    TBH no, I wouldn’t like to live in one, heating and cleaning it, going around checking every door and window is closed every night, a big house out in its own, a target for burglars, and in the end one of you will be left rattling around in it on your lonesome. From an ethical point of view I have huge issues with these piles being built, using so much resources to be a blight on the landscape forever. No one needs a 4000 square foot house and I think the councils need to cop on with granting planning for such gratuitous waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

When i decided to buy a site and build , size was carefully and strategically designed. Didn't want something too big or too small. You usually end up with just 2 people in it. We opted for just under 2,500 sq feet and a garage. No regrets, plenty big, not overwhelming for heating and maintenance. Ride on mower was a great investment and don't plant bamboos or Leylandii :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Yeah being Foweva Awone in a giant mansion would probably feel even more Awone!

Being a monk you’d be familiar with that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

rustynutz wrote: »
    I live out the country, in a relatively big house (not as big as in op, but not far off) with a large lawn, with no next door neighbours, 15 minute walk to nearest shop in small town, and 15 minute drive from nearest big town. I have a tiny mortgage as I built the house myself.

I wouldn't swap it for a detached house in a housing estate in the middle of Dublin (I have lived in Dublin) under any conditions. Nevermind having to take out a 350-400k mortgage to do so.

I really dont get the majority of the people on this thread, are you really telling me you would not like more space, both inside and out given the option?

Kids have loads of room to play, bring their friends over
    I have room to build a massive shed with workshop and gym for motorbikes and other hobbies
    No fear of the council buying a house in the estate and moving in neighbour's from hell
    Can play music as loud as I want at all times of day and night without neighbour's complaining
    Still within walking distance of shop and pub
    And all for a fraction of the price of a semi-D half the size of my shed in an estate in a city?

To me it's a no brainer

Have to agree.
    Ours is 2800sq feet 5 bedroom. Site ia an acre. Plenty of space both inside and out. We grow our own timber for the stove, have orchard, fruit bushes,chickens, polytunnel and still nice large green areas.

Could never go back to high density housing, it’s an existence rather than a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Sorry lads, anything under 3000 sq feet in the country is not a mansion, it’s fairly standard size for houses being built these days. It may be large compared to urban semi Ds, but no way it’s a nansion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hahaha. Would ya stop. If you could afford it you’d have it too.

People on this thread are hilarious.

Oh it’s too big, oh how vulgar, oh why would you need such a big house, wah wah wah

So much jealousy.

If someone can afford the house and want the space and luxury I see nothing wrong with it.

I think it looks great tbh

What's funnny is calling this thing 'luxurious'

If I had a lot of money I certainly wouldnt waste it on a house like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is it this site or Ireland in general that is weird, you can't just not like something without being called a begrudger or jealous :confused:

I can't quite square it. Is money/financial wealth (or showing the illusion of) all that some people think about???

I see more accusations of begrudgery here than actual examples of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

_Brian wrote: »
    ..... Could never go back to high density housing, it’s an existence rather than a life.

I'd be with you 100% on that.

Many probably come from families that have lived in towns for several generations and cant imagine anything else.

I do know a few who moved rural and really did not like it.

My conclusion : each to their own & dont knock it till you've tried it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

https://www.facebook.com/supercarblondie/videos/3404835599599770/?d=null&vh=e

Now that is a mansion. Forget your pesent mansions that is a real one. Just have to win the Euromillions first lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

_Brian wrote: »
    Have to agree.
    Ours is 2800sq feet 5 bedroom. Site ia an acre. Plenty of space both inside and out. We grow our own timber for the stove, have orchard, fruit bushes,chickens, polytunnel and still nice large green areas.

Could never go back to high density housing, it’s an existence rather than a life.

It's amazing the different perspectives people have on living. Being in the countryside away from everything and having to maintain what you mentioned in the above would bore me to tears, far happier living in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

AMKC wrote: »

Now that is a mansion. Forget your pesent mansions that is a real one. Just have to win the Euromillions first lol.

I've seen that woman championing these kinds of things before, she seems to be the pretty face of rampant wasteful consumerism

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's amazing the different perspectives people have on living. Being in the countryside away from everything and having to maintain what you mentioned in the above would bore me to tears, far happier living in the city.

Some people love living in a crowded city others love the quiet countryside. A few like me love both. Horses for courses I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

AMKC wrote: »

It's like something built on the proceeds of the international drugs trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

o1s1n wrote: »

Same here. Hate visiting the countryside for anything more than a weekend, I'd get extreme depression living in a rural irish village or god forbid in one of the one off houses ..completely isolated, couldn't imagine worse way of living for me anyway

That house would be vastly improved by some proper landscaping beyond just lawn. I don't think it qualifies as a mansion though, which I think requires more than one staircase and a library as well as being over 5,000sqf/465fsqm.

I could easily live in a mansion, if I could afford the help and the upkeep. Obviously if it was any kind of financial struggle then it wouldn't be worth the stress just to live in more space than you strictly need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement