Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fungie the dolphin is missing - Or is he?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Has anyone actually taken one of the boat trips out to see him?
    did it a few years back and it was honestly one of the most surreal things I ever did, there were 3 or 4 boats with tourists on them, and then one smaller boat with a lad hanging off the back, doing fast turns and splashing the water in an attempt to get the dolphins attention, but it felt more like he was being corralled. Both myself an they wife both felt a bit uncomfortable about the whole thing afterwards, it felt a bit more like we were harassing the dolphin rather than observing him.

I've done it. It was fairly surreal alright. Never seemed like they were corralling him in the slightest though, he was swimming about, diving down and coming back to the surface wherever the hell he wanted, while a whole fleet of far less agile boats desperately tried to follow him like some kind of Benny Hill sketch. Occasionally he jumped up next to one of the boats but it seemed very much on his terms, he was well easily capable of diving under the water then popping up 30 seconds later on the opposite side of the bay. The boats couldn't control his movements if they wanted to.

I also did some reading up on it at the time, there's been about half a dozen similar dolphins around the world known to have made their home in bays near humans. Fungi is the only one that didn't end badly, mainly due to strict rules that were maintained around not feeding him, not letting lots of people in the water with him, and basically leaving him to live as a proper wild animal. Other examples tried to pen them in, or lure them to spots that were better for viewing, or have loads of tourists swim with the dolphins, all of which ended up with the dolphins acting aggressively towards people who were invading their space.

Found an article on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/series1/lone-dolphins.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

Some people must have a low threshold for surrealism. I went to see Fungi on a boat piloted by a chicken and a pink dolphin leapt from a rainbow coloured sea and transformed into a giant skull before our eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Pretty daft basing a whole industry on a dolphin. He's 45 years old. Probably died of old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Maybe funghi just buggered off with a recent visiting pod or was eaten by a whale also visiting.;
    All they are worried about is their dollars in kerry - ireland has very little empathy for any money making animal: farm animals greyhounds, pet dogs, racehorses the zoo in dublin and funghi. We are a nation of users and abusers where animals are concerned. Swim away funghi and dont look back to shreiking children and greedy boatmen swim away and enjoy your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Maybe funghi just buggered off with a recent visiting pod or was eaten by a whale also visiting.;
    All they are worried about is their dollars in kerry - ireland has very little empathy for any money making animal: farm animals greyhounds, pet dogs, racehorses the zoo in dublin and funghi. We are a nation of users and abusers where animals are concerned. Swim away funghi and dont look back to shreiking children and greedy boatmen swim away and enjoy your life.

You would swear he was held captive against his will !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The plots thickening lol

Where I fish for big pollock and bass has a recent visitation of a dolphin in a bay near Milltown Malbay in Co Clare.

This year he or she wiped out or scared off the pollock and bass, because I'm catching none in my usual hidden spot.

It's either Dusty or Orb one of the two or would fungi head to Clare

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

the healy rae's have him hostage in their bath until people in kerry are allowed drink and drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has anyone asked Joe? Maybe he can ask Funghi to make contact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I dare someone with time on your hands to ring Joe Duffy about Fungi ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

He was a little fish in a big pond.
    Pissed off some of the bigger fish.
    Now sleeps with the fishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Or for his corpse to be dropped off at a presbytery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

6541 wrote: »
    How do we know Fungie is a He ?

Disgusting the amount of people assuming Fungi's gender in this thread :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Disgusting the amount of people assuming Fungi's gender in this thread :mad:

Indeed.

Well, Wikipedia says he’s a he, so it must be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

So who forgot to replace the batteries? Not like the Kerry lads to get careless with a moneyspinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Sorry if asked before, but how many are there of these boating companies that revolve around taking tourists out to view the dolphin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Surely with such an important asset the good people of Dingle attached a tracker to Fungi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

The wake will probably be held in Dingle and should be mighty craic altogether.
    The viewing and service will be held in the cannery,where world leaders, local big wigs, sushi dealers,the poor and the despondent, will unite together in common grief, and Covid, before heading off to the nearest Shebeen where sea shanties shall be sung until the break of day.
    Flags at half mast and fishing nets put away for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe he got a fungal infection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

make contact you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

I thought Kerry was just a big theme park for the Americans, do real Irish people live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

529956.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Its kinda sad really. What are the odds of getting a wild animal that tame with people, and attached just to the Dingle area like that again zero id say.

Its definitely a loss to the local area. Probably just old age got the fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

122106342_4554766787930691_424390943581059236_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=QTR2NoHUuvIAX-AWbGB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=6&oh=337f11e1f054766b893413d855d0ac64&oe=5FB5A355

funghi is a mammal and maybe has been eaten by a bigger fish its just nature. People are so mental in the world these days is frightening its acreature its gone move on Dingle the cash cow has given you the 2 fins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

funghi is a fish and maybe has been eaten by a bigger fish its just nature. People are so mental in the world these days is frightening its a fish its gone move on Dingle the cash cow has given you the 2 fins !!

Dolphins are mammals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

funghi is a fish and maybe has been eaten by a bigger fish its just nature. People are so mental in the world these days is frightening its a fish its gone move on Dingle the cash cow has given you the 2 fins !!

Since when is a dolphin a fish?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Since when is a dolphin a fish?

corrected guys my error still a bit sleepy Whoo Hoo have a good day internet police click your jackboots now........fishy wishy woo to you !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

If fungie himself has generated a hoax disappearance to improve his social media status I will see to it that he is hung by the tail from the nearest lamp post! :cool:

CPL 593H

Advertisement