Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flu vaccine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭3d4life

Just had it one minute ago, painless injection. Muscle is now starting to ache and twitch, so a nice local reaction commencing :)

< AH mode > Pics or GTFO < /AH mode >
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Got it yesterday for the first time. I'm 43 but it was available in my workplace where I mix with frontline workers. Didn't have any reaction but fell asleep after dinner for 90 mins which is unlike me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

My employer (non front line) always paid for ours but this year said they weren't given the vaccine shortage. Thought it was odd....

Boots only give to high risk or if you have a prepaid voucher (from employer like we used to get).

Trying to get one in a pharmacy is hard, they have yet to move my appointment next week a third time so fingers crossed.....is €25 in McCabes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Boots have given me an appointment for the shot. Made the request on 1st September, got a date at the end of Oct. And that's with double "vulnerable category" tags on me.

There's going to be a lot of people going into this winter of CoviFlu1920 uninoculated I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Booked in for 22nd of October. Never got it before. I feel I should this year and I think everyone else should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was in doc practice this morning having my bloods taken by the nurse and asked about the vaccine, and got it. Charged €30 on that, plus €35 for the bloods.

Water John wrote: »
    Was in doc practice this morning having my bloods taken by the nurse and asked about the vaccine, and got it. Charged €30 on that, plus €35 for the bloods.

I'm all for everyone getting vaccinated, especially this year. It seems to be hit or miss when and how people are though, going by folk. As one Indo article predicted "there'll be a catfight". Shortages always create these situations, and that seems to be down to lack of anticipation by manufacturers or else infrastructural inability or reluctance to ramp up vaccine production even though demand might have been duly predicted.

Done at midday, now just last 4pm, that's the swelling in arm so far, the black furry thing is the cat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Yep I will get mine: That way I can tell the flu from covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I read this thread at lunchtime, phoned the doctor @ 1 and got the shot at 2:30. I was inside the building for a maximum of 20 seconds, literally. They are racking and stacking them .... (I had pre-existing conditions which they know about so was told to head stright down when I called becase demand is high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Wibbs wrote: »
    Never got it, mainly because I don't get the flu. I'm one of those 15-20% who are asymptomatic, or not enough to notice much anyway(my dad was the same). No doubt a few mild "bugs" I've gotten over the years were the flu. Though latterly I have been thinking of getting it so I don't act as a carrier for those who do get it badly.

i believe the more anti social you are the less likely you are to pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Am getting it tomorrow. Have gotten it every year for the last 5, as I have several underlying health issues.

It seems record amounts of people are getting it this year, hopefully that means there'll be far fewer cases this year. Just as well if the hospitals are still struggling over winter.

I read this thread at lunchtime, phoned the doctor @ 1 and got the shot at 2:30. I was inside the building for a maximum of 20 seconds, literally. They are racking and stacking them .... (I had pre-existing conditions which they know about so was told to head stright down when I called becase demand is high.

The medics hate this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭maebee

Done at midday, now just last 4pm, that's the swelling in arm so far, the black furry thing is the cat :D

Hope you're feeling ok Cat. Did the cat take the pic? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

The medics hate this thread :D

Not being funny, but can you tell me when you started referring to doctors and healthcare professionals as "medics". I find it such a strange and american sounding term. Only other place I remember hearing it is Vietnam war movies. Is this something that people are now doing because of Covid? Or am I perhaps totally out of the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not being funny, but can you tell me when you started referring to doctors and healthcare professionals as "medics". I find it such a strange and american sounding term. Only other place I remember hearing it is Vietnam war movies. Is this something that people are now doing because of Covid? Or am I perhaps totally out of the loop.

Maybe it's just shorter than the alternative... in the digital age the acronym or the shorter synonym wins out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just shorter than the alternative... in the digital age the acronym or the shorter synonym wins out.

As I say, I'm only seeing this since Covid started. I've heard the term on radio and television also. Same amount of syllables as doctor, one more than nurse. You're right - it is a style thing, but I'd like to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Medic covers a wider range and also doesn't inherently rank them. Should use it myself more.

As I say, I'm only seeing this since Covid started. I've heard the term on radio and television also. Same amount of syllables as doctor, one more than nurse. You're right - it is a style thing, but I'd like to know more.

I used it in this instance in place of a string of words "Doctor or pharmacist"; short got nefical people. Simple as that.

maebee wrote: »
    Hope you're feeling ok Cat. Did the cat take the pic? :)

The cat always pushes himself against my arm, and often over it when I attempt to type on iPhone. The arm is fine, probably will get sore tonight or tomorrow, will make no odds. I'm feeling fine, in fact way more relaxed this evening knowing that's on board. Couldn't face a dose on top of other stuff in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering do you feel sick after getting it or is that a myth?

Got it yesterday; wife and son previous day.
    No reaction so far.
    Next is the pneumonia vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

rtron wrote: »
    Yep I will get mine: That way I can tell the flu from covid

Not necessarily. You could still get another strain of the flu.

But don't let that put you off, by getting the vaccine you prevent yourself from getting and spreading the particular strain/s that is predicted to be most prevalent this year. Let's hope the predictions are correct!

Hoping all of ye have successfully had your vaccines or have a date for it. It's great to have that very simple thing done with, and feel I'm at much less at risk of having a nasty dose of Influenza got the coming season, and that I'm less likely to have an illness that could be confused with an oncoming bad dose of Covid.

Every year we get our beloved pets vaccinated, why not ourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I get it yearly, I would advise everyone to get it especially this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

I'm so frustrated right now - booked my flu shot back in August, knowing there'd be queues and waiting lists and shortages, I get the shot every year (I don't catch flu often but when I do, it hits me HARD, and that's if I'm vaccinated, don't want to chance catching it without protection, and less so this year...)

Was due my shot this afternoon, but they rang me this morning to cancel, saying that the pharmacist is not in today, but instead of pushing today's patients out to tomorrow, etc, we've all been cancelled outright and have to go back to the very end of the list.

I've been ringing all over since 9am, no luck. Some (pharmacy and GP alike) are only doing HSE appointments (at-risk people or those with medical aid, I'm neither), others have wait lists to end of next month or longer, others have shut down their waitlists entirely, others say 'try ringing back in a few weeks and maybe the situation will be better', and the rest say they're simply not offering vaccines this year as they've been struggling to get stock.

So much for planning and prep and booking in advance...

AngelaRI wrote: »
    I'm so frustrated right now - booked my flu shot back in August, knowing there'd be queues and waiting lists and shortages, I get the shot every year (I don't catch flu often but when I do, it hits me HARD, and that's if I'm vaccinated, don't want to chance catching it without protection, and less so this year...)

Was due my shot this afternoon, but they rang me this morning to cancel, saying that the pharmacist is not in today, but instead of pushing today's patients out to tomorrow, etc, we've all been cancelled outright and have to go back to the very end of the list.

I've been ringing all over since 9am, no luck. Some (pharmacy and GP alike) are only doing HSE appointments (at-risk people or those with medical aid, I'm neither), others have wait lists to end of next month or longer, others have shut down their waitlists entirely, others say 'try ringing back in a few weeks and maybe the situation will be better', and the rest say they're simply not offering vaccines this year as they've been struggling to get stock.

So much for planning and prep and booking in advance...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my own pharmacist said "nobody could have foreseen the demand for it". I asked her was she being serious and she was. It's a appalling lack of foresight that afflicts do many people at a professional level who might be involved in planning, ordering, distribution of things medical in this country. No good folk achieving top honours degrees if they cannot actually apply their knowledge in a practical way, Common sense is so uncommon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Whilst my appointment keeps getting pushed out due to lack of stock, GP has plenty of kids vaccinations in stock....two booked for this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my own pharmacist said "nobody could have foreseen the demand for it". I asked her was she being serious and she was. It's a appalling lack of foresight that afflicts do many people at a professional level who might be involved in planning, ordering, distribution of things medical in this country. No good folk achieving top honours degrees if they cannot actually apply their knowledge in a practical way, Common sense is so uncommon.

Pretty sure everyone realised there'd be an increased demand after the great TP and pasta shortage earlier in the year.
    The frustrating bit is how all of these appointments were outright cancelled due to the pharmacist being out today at that location, and instead of just pushing everyone out a day, all of today's bookings were just outright cancelled and we're all back to the back of the queue. That's the frustrating bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got mine the first week it was available. OOS now With GP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ktsul

PMBC wrote: »
    Got it yesterday; wife and son previous day.
    No reaction so far.
    Next is the pneumonia vaccine.

Just got my flu jab yesterday, I get it every year. I get the pneumonia vaccine every 5 years as prescribed by my rheumatologist. The flu jab is like being punched in the arm afterwards, no other symptoms for me. After the pneumonia vaccine 4 years ago I felt quite out of sorts for about 2 days (fatigue, no appetite, temperature) interesting to see next year will I have the same side effects....

Advertisement