Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 1970s - The Decade That Taste Forgot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I can quite vividly remember as a young boy staring at 'punks' around Cork City around 1983-84 ie. leathers, huge spikey coloured hair, piercings etc cycling around on the footpaths.

Of course you can! You'd swear we were all wearing patched dungarees and clogs til Italia 90 the way some people go on. Second wave Mods, and Ska/Two tone was also in evidence and a few rockabillies as well and that's in my town that's much smaller than Cork! My own sister was infamous for her two tone hair, which changed colours monthly (early 80s). I also think we were better at creating our own style. We weren't tied down to whatever the current trends were. That doesn't mean we didn't have a sense of style, far from it.

And back to the 70's, my then late teens brother got a perm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We will have to agree to disagree about the ponchos we even had a teacher who tried to get us crochet them and make one for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There was a thriving rock music scene in Ireland in the 70s. Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher, Horselips to name but a few.

I would love to wake up in New York 1978 and hitting the Disco clubs. There I said it. I love disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

mariaalice wrote: »
    We will have to agree to disagree about the ponchos we even had a teacher who tried to get up crochet them and make one for ourselves.

My very conservative mother and two of her sisters had ponchos. My mother's was smaller and single colour unlike some of the more garish ones you could find but they were very, very trendy for a time. I still have my tiny pink and blue one that my Aunt crocheted for me! I had red and white one from her when I was a little older.Occasionally saw little boys in plain ones as well. Don't think they really took off with men but I'd say a few could be found on University Campuses and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5G8AJf4Xzw

Check out the hair and clothes.

• Advertisement

Sinead O'Connor was bald. That was mad in 1980s.

I remember sitting in a restaurant with my parents cira 86-87 and just before she hit the big time Sinead O;'Connor was playing a gig in this pub. She passed through and my father noted her as he is a big music fan so we all looked...she was fair frightening to a young fella with the big shiney bald head on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5G8AJf4Xzw

Check out the hair and clothes.

But they're a band. They're supposed to look ridiculous.

Sinead O'Connor was bald. That was mad in 1980s.

I remember sitting in a restaurant with my parents cira 86-87 and just before she hit the big time Sinead O;'Connor was playing a gig in this pub. She passed through and my father noted her as he is a big music fan so we all looked...she was fair frightening to a young fella with the big shiney bald head on her.

To be fair, you wouldn't see to many girls walking around with completely shaved heads today either.

I remember my mam always saying "she'd look lovely with a head of hair." :pac:

Tony EH wrote: »
    But they're a band. They're supposed to look ridiculous.

The opening riff to the greatest World Cup song. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

murpho999 wrote: »
    What is this based on and how do you back it up?

Go back to the 60s and women wore the mini-skirt just like the rest of the rest of the western world. People wore the same clothes here in the 70s & 80s as was being worn in other countries

Really people base these statements on nothing and imply that Ireland was completely poverty stricken and also constantly on its knees praying in a church and things only improved with the arrival of the internet and the Celtic Tiger.

Reeling in the Years whilst entertaining is not really a show that you can judge people's clothes on when they mostly show politicians in suits, celebrities and people in the news.

Well said. But the pope's visit in 1979 set Ireland back a long way in terms of progression in my opinion. The holy Joe's came back with a vengeance after that an a few years later we had the "pro life" amendment.

Actually on the subject of women's fashions, the mini was out of fashion for most of the seventies. Hot pants came and went very quickly (the high point(?) being Clodagh Rogers wearing them whne she sang for the UK in the 1971 Eurovision song contest in Dublin).

• Advertisement

There were lots of skinheads who wore docks and wrangles as well as punks around in the 1970s in Ireland, all kinds really just the same as anywhere.

Women definitely wore ponchos in Ireland in the 1970s I never saw a man wearing one though.

I proudly wore one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Still gave us ABBA, Queen, and the Beegees. It was an era of great musical talent, and talent that could be found in the mainstream. Also great time for cinema for directors like Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, and comedy like Monty Python's flying circus

I think I posted this previously, but the most exciting time of my life was in the early 1980s. In spite of a limited basic public service income I managed to learn how to fly an airplane at Weston flying school, which catered for people of all incomes and origins. There were folk on the dole there, as well as the very occasional one who might be able to afford their own airplane. Most either got the bus to the airfield or drive a car that barely had four wheels. My father used to call it the League of Nations for its racial diversity. There were instructors from council estates, lots of women, including visitations from the newly appointed female Aer Lingus pilots. It was a colourful and very exciting place to spend my younger days, you would not quite see it's likes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Still gave us ABBA, Queen, and the Beegees. It was an era of great musical talent, and talent that could be found in the mainstream. Also great time for cinema for directors like Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, and comedy like Monty Python's flying circus

The Bee Gees started in the late 50s

I think I posted this previously, but the most exciting time of my life was in the early 1980s. In spite of a limited basic public service income I managed to learn how to fly an airplane at Weston flying school, which catered for people of all incomes and origins.

I was too young for that then, but I'd love it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Watch any program from the 70,s , the mens fashions are awful,
    wide collars, multi colored ties.platform shoes .red and orange trousers .
    the worst fashion now is is ripped jeans, i see young women where
    theres 3 or 4 large rips in each leg of the jeans they wear.
    i think now suits are going out of fashion.
    The only men who wear suits are politicians , people who work in an office or a bank.
    In the 70,s and 80,s alot of men wore leather jackets .
    Every rock star wore leather jackets on stage .
    i think the 70,s and 80s, were a great time for cinema and music .
    i cannot think of any great rock group that were formed after 1990.
    Rock music does not really exist any more apart from old groups who still make music like u2.
    Maybe there are still people making folk music but it does not get promoted or appear in the top 50 charts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ponchos and wide jeans for women, wide jeans a belt with a massive buckle, cheesecloth shirts, and a corduroy jacket or a denim jacket, for men, that is what I remember.

There is a photo in my baby/small child photo album of my mother standing at the front door of our house in Belfast taking me home from the hospital where I was born - with a newborn moi in a moses basket, my two older sisters looking into the basket smiling and my mum with very long wavy light brown hair, loop earrings, wearing a poncho and in flared blue jeans.

That was March 1975. :)

The 70s was a great decade for horror films.

Just look at the list:
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Halloween (1978)
    Carrie (1976)
    Last House On The Left (1972)
    The Fog (1979)
    The Amityville Horror (1979)
    Salem's Lot (1979)
    Black Christmas (1974)
    Day Of The Living Dead (1978)
    The Omen (1976)

and of course, Jaws (1975), which is more of a suspense/thriller than a classic horror.

The Prom Scene in Carrie

Some seizure-inducing kitchens of the 1970s. Loud and bold was the theme du jour...

Even as early as the 70s, the larger kitchen with an island was coming into vogue.

11417_j0vsnkvisqte18nc.jpeg

11417_emlcvzyybakukv2p.jpeg

11417_vwifiwxqqsutivt9.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I am thinking "paper suns"

And of course the 1970s was the decade that gave us ABBA... :D

Waterloo, the song that won them the 1974 Eurovision and launched them to global fame. But....those outfits!!

A 1970's Agnetha would look good dressed in a bin liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭bb1234567

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Some seizure-inducing kitchens of the 1970s. Loud and bold was the theme du jour...

Even as early as the 70s, the larger kitchen with an island was coming into vogue.

11417_j0vsnkvisqte18nc.jpeg

11417_emlcvzyybakukv2p.jpeg

11417_vwifiwxqqsutivt9.jpeg
    I actually really like the last kitchen, quite cosy looking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Remember the shell-suit in the 80s and 90s?

Dear God :eek: Get too near a naked flame in one and you were toast!

They keep trying to bring them back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Remember the shell-suit in the 80s and 90s?

Dear God :eek: Get too near a naked flame in one and you were toast!

They keep trying to bring them back too.

there is quite a horrific story around that material and a major fire.

bb1234567 wrote: »

That would still be suitable for a large old English cottage style kitchen with the retro wallpaper, the modern island, the original cottage ceiling. I bet there are plenty of Cotswold and other country cottages with kitchens like that now, with only the appliances updated as they wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The 70s was a great decade for horror films.

Just look at the list:
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Halloween (1978)
    Carrie (1976)
    Last House On The Left (1972)
    The Fog (1979)
    The Amityville Horror (1979)
    Salem's Lot (1979)
    Black Christmas (1974)
    Day Of The Living Dead (1978)
    The Omen (1976)

and of course, Jaws (1975), which is more of a suspense/thriller than a classic horror.

The Prom Scene in Carrie

Jaws! And just when you thought it was safe to go to the toilet, Jaws 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

bb1234567 wrote: »

And the two people are dressed a lot more typically for the 70s than the fashion shoot photos!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Waterloo, the song that won them the 1974 Eurovision and launched them to global fame. But....those outfits!!
    those out fits were a tax dodge..

Advertisement