Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who are the top 3 talent in RTE?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

Very very low on talent as they have all

I don't want to name shows - but they are a joke, completely talent-less. And , this relentless need for every voice to be female , is killing radio.

Rather than give a female the job - what is wrong with Wexford/ Monaghan /Galway / Donegal - Regionalise it based on talent as opposed to sex.

We have basically got to a point you can not listen to RTE from 0900 hrs to 2200 hrs. Unreal - considering you could listen to it all day from 0700 hrs to 0200 hrs.

Females rule heavy in RTE, as demonstrated by every evening news showing someone interviewing 7 yr old squeaky children asking their views on XYZ, prime time new FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

It's relentlessly negative and repetitive, populated mainly by men who wake up angry and get angrier as the day progresses.

Now thats just annoying . Say that to my face . Go on I'll bluddy kill you etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Most of the good ones are gone
    bill o herlihy
    cathal o'shannon
    jimmy mcgee
    Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh
    Derek Davis
    Michael Lyster
    Gráinne Seoige

Of what's left
    Darragh Maloney
    Brendan O'Connor
    joanne cantwell (think some of the hate she gets is due to people not used to a women doing the job)

I don’t think anyone has much issue with Cantwell being a woman, more that she comes across as very cold and unlikeable. Evanne Ni Chuilinn should have got that ahead of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

jprboy wrote: »
    "A nation holds..... "

"Oh, danger here...…"

It was actually "the nation holds..." though for years I always thought it was "a" too. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

RTE has been getting slated since I can remember. I always thought this was particularly ridiculous in the days before we all had Sky Digital. RTE or TG4 would typically get the newest American TV shows only a few weeks after either the US or, if it had first dibs, Sky 1 at the time.

Channel 4 and BBC would be anywhere from six months to a year behind. Stuff like The X Files, The Sopranos, Oz, the lag in getting them on screen in the UK was hilarious.

RTE would be showing films 2 or 3 years after their video release that you'd be unlikely to see on ITV in the same decade, or at least 5/ 6 years later.

The British were also in the habit of editing what they regarded as risque material from the likes of The Simpsons or from films. I don't think RTE had an edit button at all tbh.

I'd concede that aside from their documentaries/ current affairs RTE original content has seldom if ever hit the heights of BBC/ Channel 4 originals, particularly for comedy and drama, but that's about the height of it.

Add to that their sanitised football punditry compared to the RTE panel (although it's been cleaned up unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

There's something so hopeless, angry, and despairing about all the negativity that gets thrown towards RTÉ and its staff on sites like Boards, the Journal, and Twitter. It moves beyond valid criticism into this brain dead diatribe about the entire semi-state organisation being filled exclusively with talentless morons. It shows a real lack of critical thinking to be honest. I think the majority of it is down to some sort of innate jealousy and frustration from angry and confused men (it's always men) who project their own insecurities onto public figures. Men who would never have the ambition, talent, or initiative to become a politician, presenter, or public figure themselves.

RTÉ produce world class radio and television documentaries. Their current affairs and investigative journalism output is worthy of the television licence by itself. It has excellent presenters like Audrey Carville, Bryan Dobson, Rachel English, Sarah McInerney; Cormac O'hEadhra, Gavin Jennings and so on and so forth.

Then you have the wonderful John Creedon, the slightly hammy but entertaining (and knowing) Marty Morrissey. GAA, Horse Racing, and Football coverage is excellent, as is most of their sporting output. Then you have orchestras, journalists, producers etc.

I even happen to think Ryan Tubridy is grand. Certainly not deserving off the almost visceral hatred thrown at him online.

No. The issue is that we're not getting bang for our buck. Don't know too much about the state of RTE radio as I'm not a big radio listener. Although Miriam Finuacan and what she got paid and worked says it all.

Cancelled show after cancelled TV show with the same presenter throughout and they still keep them on. You would think, hmm, this is your fifth go at it and you're not really taking off. I think it may be best we part ways. But NO! Not with RTE let's shove them somewhere else.

Then you have the blatant nepotism, the awful shows they bring out and their documentaries are just fine. Just ok. BBC do world class documentaries so let's not delude ourselves here into thinking RTE has produced anything of note. But that's not their fault as they are hardly going to have the production value of the BBC, but let's not blow hot air either.

Sporting coverage is a disgrace. Some of Ireland's most successful athletes are barely promoted. Think boxing and athletics. League of Ireland, which I always thought could have been something great if RTE would give it proper coverage.

Their current affairs programmes are prime time. That's it. That is good as it gets. Otherwise are we referring to the carousel of untalented so and so's I've alluded to? The same people who are generally ill prepared to present the show and all generic surface area reportings in these "investigative pieces"? Yes, very "hard hitting". I have seen better documentaries and current affair pieces from independent Irish producers. Better yet TG4 do great Irish documentaries, RTE aren't even the best in their own field.

Why would a man be jealous of a broadcasting station? Are you mad or something? Yeah me, I absolutely hate TV3, absolute notions......?????

What is this projecting you speak of? Is it a projecting of frustration that we pay a tv licence for sub standard programming. Paying for wages that are in line with legitimate global broadcasting stations like the BBC? For presenters who aren't worth their weight in salt? That projection is it?

Right.

There are about 5 good folks in RTE and they will all be retiring in the next 10 years if not sooner. That tells you about the state of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Claire Byrne is very good, as is Bryan Dobson. I also enjoy Dermot Bannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

There's something so hopeless, angry, and despairing about all the negativity that gets thrown towards RTÉ and its staff on sites like Boards, the Journal, and Twitter. It moves beyond valid criticism into this brain dead diatribe about the entire semi-state organisation being filled exclusively with talentless morons. It shows a real lack of critical thinking to be honest. I think the majority of it is down to some sort of innate jealousy and frustration from angry and confused men (it's always men) who project their own insecurities onto public figures. Men who would never have the ambition, talent, or initiative to become a politician, presenter, or public figure themselves.

RTÉ produce world class radio and television documentaries. Their current affairs and investigative journalism output is worthy of the television licence by itself. It has excellent presenters like Audrey Carville, Bryan Dobson, Rachel English, Sarah McInerney; Cormac O'hEadhra, Gavin Jennings and so on and so forth.

Then you have the wonderful John Creedon, the slightly hammy but entertaining (and knowing) Marty Morrissey. GAA, Horse Racing, and Football coverage is excellent, as is most of their sporting output. Then you have orchestras, journalists, producers etc.

I even happen to think Ryan Tubridy is grand. Certainly not deserving off the almost visceral hatred thrown at him online.

In your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Philip King is very good. He presents South Wind Blows on Saturday nights on Radio 1.

Audrey Carville and Sarah McInerney are very talented current affairs presenters. As is Bryan Dobson, Rachael English, Katie Hannon. Keelin Shanley was a massive loss.

There are quite a few talented people in RTE.

I know Philip King has an almost cult status in some quarters but but he's too far up his own hole for my liking but agree with the others you've mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

jim salter wrote: »
    In your opinion

Ya, that’s what message boards are about, dude. Not sure you needed to spell that out to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Seamai wrote: »
    I know Philip King has an almost cult status in some quarters but but he's too far up his own hole for my liking but agree with the others you've mentioned.

Take that back about Phillip! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Females rule heavy in RTE, as demonstrated by every evening news showing someone interviewing 7 yr old squeaky children asking their views on XYZ, prime time new FFS!!!

There’s two major problems with RTÉ, one is overpaid presenters and the other is that a large number of, really creepy, angry, men having issues with female presenters and female “woke” content.

You see the same lads giving out about “woke” sport shows in the “Radio” forum and complaining about the BLM Movement in “Current Affairs”.
    I don’t think anyone has much issue with Cantwell being a woman, more that she comes across as very cold and unlikeable. Evanne Ni Chuilinn should have got that ahead of her.

A lot of guys on here seem to have a “problem” with women knowing more about sports than they do.

Sitting on a bar stool roaring at the tv is an ill-fitting United jersey counts for nothing compared to actual sporting “experience” and hours, upon hours, of research and education.

Obliviously, when they “pit” two female presenters against each other they’ll always plum for the “hotter” one.

If RTÉ could solve their payroll problem they’d be fine, the second one is just a lot of “hot air” blowing out the arses of lads filled with impotent rage. And they have a lot of that. An awful lot.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

There’s two major problems with RTÉ, one is overpaid presenters and the other is that a large number of, really creepy, angry, men having issues with female presenters and female “woke” content.

You see the same lads giving out about “woke” sport shows in the “Radio” forum and complaining about the BLM Movement in “Current Affairs”.

A lot of guys on here seem to have a “problem” with women knowing more about sports than they do.

Sitting on a bar stool roaring at the tv is an ill-fitting United jersey counts for nothing compared to actual sporting “experience” and hours, upon hours, of research and education.

Obliviously, when they “pit” two female presenters against each other they’ll always plum for the “hotter” one.

If RTÉ could solve their payroll problem they’d be fine, the second one is just a lot of “hot air” blowing out the arses of lads filled with impotent rage. And they have a lot of that. An awful lot.

Do you ever get tired of spouting this guff, E?

Take that back about Phillip! :mad:

No 😋
    I can remember being dragged along to Scullion concerts in the early 80's, I think I might have even one of their albums and even back then would have grudgingly said that about him.

I also used to spend about of time in Dingle in the noughties, enough time to get an good insight into the different tribes in the area.
    To me he encapsulates the "Other Voices Set" as we used to call them, trying a little too hard to be different and obscure for the sake of it.
    The more obscure the more reverential he gets.
    Was at some of those concerts in the early days before you had to be part of the inner sanctum and some of the talent on display was questionable but the fawning responses were often laughable, real Emperor's New Clothes stuff.

:D ****ing hell.

When are they going to restart the flights back to your planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Bill O’Herlihy
    John ‘Senior Analyst’ Giles
    Eamon Dunphy

Those were the days.

No ��
    I can remember being dragged along to Scullion concerts in the early 80's, I think I might have even one of their albums and even back then would have grudgingly said that about him.

I also used to spend about of time in Dingle in the noughties, enough time to get an good insight into the different tribes in the area.
    To me he encapsulates the "Other Voices Set" as we used to call them, trying a little too hard to be different and obscure for the sake of it.
    The more obscure the more reverential he gets.
    Was at some of those concerts in the early days before you had to be part of the inner sanctum and some of the talent on display was questionable but the fawning responses were often laughable, real Emperor's New Clothes stuff.

:) He's family so I have to somewhat object what I will say politely is he's, er, passionate by all accounts.

And yeah, some of those acts are/where ****e.

:) He's family so I have to somewhat object what I will say politely is he's, er, passionate by all accounts.

And yeah, some of those acts are/where ****e.

Yeah I suppose when he's family it's a bit different. I have a reasonably well known writer in my family, long deceased, from time to time his name pops up on literary programmes, the comments are invariably positive but if I heard something negative I would get quite defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Ya, that’s what message boards are about, dude. Not sure you needed to spell that out to be honest.

True, and the opinion you expressed is incorrect relative to me. So before making a sweeping statement, as you did, consider that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Top 3 talent for RTE:
    1. Direct Provision Centres
    2. Black Lives Matters
    3. 10,000 Homeless

Yeah I suppose when he's family it's a bit different. I have a reasonably well known writer in my family, long deceased, from time to time his name pops up on literary programmes, the comments are invariably positive but if I heard something negative I would get quite defensive.

Nah you're grand, no offense taken. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If RTE were to shut down in the morning, Tony Connolly would probably be the only one taken on by an overseas network, he's well informed, and very highly regarded, both here and abroad.

Most of the rest of the 'talent' are moderately sized fish in a parochial pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dempo1 wrote: »

This said, I get a kick out of Brian Donavan in the USA, his reporting whilst not intended to be funny is hilarious, he's like a wind up robot running out of steam, would love to see him move to any Kraftwerk hit.

I love Brian o'Donovan too and have burst out laughing at some of his reporting. He delivers whatever the latest outrageous thing Trump has said in such a dead pan manner its actually funny. Have thought that he would make a good comedy actor.

Aside from that he can deliver an amazing amount of information to camera in the 60 seconds he has got. Its very succinct reporting, he doesnt beat around the bush with waffle like some correspondents.

Advertisement