Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who are the top 3 talent in RTE?

Options
  • 19-06-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

1.Marty
    2.George Hamilton
    3.John creedon

These guys are worth their weight in gold.All three Equally capable on the radio or the tele
    The top 2 are the best sports broadcasters by far in Ireland

RTE know that Marty is their number one and I wonder will they paradoxically try to run him into the ground by giving him show and show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

1. L
    2. O
    3. L

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Marty who??

Their must be a third I don't know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

if anyone says "Joe Duffy" close the thread immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

1. Dustin.
    2. Mary Kennedy.
    3. Socky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Philip King is very good. He presents South Wind Blows on Saturday nights on Radio 1.

Audrey Carville and Sarah McInerney are very talented current affairs presenters. As is Bryan Dobson, Rachael English, Katie Hannon. Keelin Shanley was a massive loss.

There are quite a few talented people in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

FFVII wrote: »
    Marty who??

Marty morrisey, although a very honorable mention to Marty Whelan. I was nearly going to put him number 3

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Do assets count? As opposed to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Talent and RTE in the same sentence?

Nope

Whats the "talent" anyways ? What constitutes this "talent"? What do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Trick question!

Theres no talent in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There's something so hopeless, angry, and despairing about all the negativity that gets thrown towards RTÉ and its staff on sites like Boards, the Journal, and Twitter. It moves beyond valid criticism into this brain dead diatribe about the entire semi-state organisation being filled exclusively with talentless morons. It shows a real lack of critical thinking to be honest. I think the majority of it is down to some sort of innate jealousy and frustration from angry and confused men (it's always men) who project their own insecurities onto public figures. Men who would never have the ambition, talent, or initiative to become a politician, presenter, or public figure themselves.

RTÉ produce world class radio and television documentaries. Their current affairs and investigative journalism output is worthy of the television licence by itself. It has excellent presenters like Audrey Carville, Bryan Dobson, Rachel English, Sarah McInerney; Cormac O'hEadhra, Gavin Jennings and so on and so forth.

Then you have the wonderful John Creedon, the slightly hammy but entertaining (and knowing) Marty Morrissey. GAA, Horse Racing, and Football coverage is excellent, as is most of their sporting output. Then you have orchestras, journalists, producers etc.

I even happen to think Ryan Tubridy is grand. Certainly not deserving off the almost visceral hatred thrown at him online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Talent as in talk ****e and get overpaid for it, well how could we possibly pick just 3......

There’s no talent in RTE those that ever had any left

Podge and Rodge and Dustin get my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

I liked Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

screamer wrote: »
    Talent as in talk ****e and get overpaid for it, we’ll how could we possibly pick just 3......

There’s no talent in RTE those that ever had any left

This is an excellent example of what I was talking about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

FFVII wrote: »
    Marty who??

Plenty of turds you know about.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

There's something so hopeless, angry, and despairing about all the negativity that gets thrown towards RTÉ and its staff on sites like Boards, the Journal, and Twitter. It moves beyond valid criticism into this brain dead diatribe about the entire semi-state organisation being filled exclusively with talentless morons. It shows a real lack of critical thinking to be honest. I think the majority of it is down to some sort of innate jealousy and frustration from angry and confused men (it's always men) who project their own insecurities onto public figures. Men who would never have the ambition, talent, or initiative to become a politician, presenter, or public figure themselves.

RTÉ produce world class radio and television documentaries. Their current affairs and investigative journalism output is worthy of the television licence by itself. It has excellent presenters like Audrey Carville, Bryan Dobson, Rachel English, Sarah McInerney; Cormac O'hEadhra, Gavin Jennings and so on and so forth.

Then you have the wonderful John Creedon, the slightly hammy but entertaining (and knowing) Marty Morrissey. GAA, Horse Racing, and Football coverage is excellent, as is most of their sporting output. Then you have orchestras, journalists, producers etc.

I even happen to think Ryan Tubridy is grand. Certainly not deserving off the almost visceral hatred thrown at him online.

Sorry now to break your world man, but those three gigs aren't solely the realm of the vast majority of people who do actually possess the actual realm of real talent or initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Ted Walsh my number one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The best value for money today are Gay Byrne, Marian Finnucan and Larry Gogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

This is an excellent example of what I was talking about tbh.

Any what you talk about is just your own opinion same as any of us. You think Really Terrible Entertainment is full of talent, others don’t. It doesn’t validate your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Trick question!

Theres no talent in RTE

I beg to differ - the TG4 weather ladies are generally talent. (TG4 is ultimately owned by RTE.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

John Bowman
    John Kelly
    whoever rings the Angelus bell. In 70 years, I’ve never heard them make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Of course there is some talent in RTÉ, I assume the OP is referring to the people who you automatically think of when you think of that organisation and rightly or wrongly, you think Of Joe Duffy, Tubs, Darcy etc because they are the figure heads and the most recognizable and accessible to the public.

The other individuals named above, some work in some special interest areas that you wouldn't be familiar about unless you were into trad/folk music or a big follower of politics. Seán O' Rourke for example is another talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

I find Dara Maloney good on gaa and soccer on tv.

Looking at the wages in RTE, we are blessed as a nation to have so much talent.

But whats the "talent" you are all speaking of? Talking loudly? Talking about anything? Talking about some match that just got played? Talking about the yearly holy show up in Dáil Éireann? Playing a few Cure records on RTE radio 1 at 8.30pm? Whats the talent there, sure anyone can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Ted Walsh
    Hughie Maughan
    Panti bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I counter your argument with two names, George Lee and Ray Darcy

If that doesn't burst your bubble Eoghan Mc Dermott

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Would ya go way ourra da!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

1. Katherine Thomas.. very versatile presenter
    2. Claire Byrne
    3. Jean Byrne (do I have to explain)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Whilst it's an odd question given the shocking lack of any talent in RTE

1.Sarah mac inerney
    2.Oliver Callan
    3. Brian Dobson

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.