Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Euromillions- what would your family get?!

Comments

I wouldn’t be even telling friends never mind giving them money. I’d be limiting sharing the money to close family, aunt/uncles/1st cousins is as far out.

Nearly every poster mentioning giving large amounts to charity? I just don’t get it or maybe I’m just mean. I do wonder how fast they would be handing it over in reality though.

I'd rather give some of it towards the benefit of those I've been fortunate to become close friends with in my own life rather than to 'family' who'd be getting lucky just because of who their parents were.

Not a hope would any aunts, uncles or cousins see a cent from me. Mostly lovely people, but they're my mother/fathers siblings and their offspring. We're relatives, but no more than that.

As for charity, I suppose I'd buy some specific equipment or facilities for a very select few, for things I know would be put to good use directly as opposed to ever having a cent of it go towards paying executive salaries. Charities in Ireland are as bad as televangelical 'churches' in the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

My immediate family wouldn't need any money but if any of them are still paying mortgages or loans I'd offer to clear it, Buy the sis's place in Spain off her, I'd grow weed there then the next time they visit they would be horrified at the plants and the smell, don't think they know or care that growing a few plants is legal or tolerated in Spain.

I wouldn’t be even telling friends never mind giving them money. I’d be limiting sharing the money to close family, aunt/uncles/1st cousins is as far out.

Nearly every poster mentioning giving large amounts to charity? I just don’t get it or maybe I’m just mean. I do wonder how fast they would be handing it over in reality though.

The Euro millions?
    Absolutely my friends would be getting **** loads of money!
    No fun having money on your own!
    & I would have so much I could give most of it to charity really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

To be honest on the rare occasion that I do buy a ticket I don’t have the jackpot in mind. It’s more of a whim at the till and maybe get a few bob for a new pair of shoes or a nice meal if I’m really lucky. But if the jackpot should come my way then I guess my first call would be to an advisor who could tell me the best way to look after my loved ones. I wouldn’t want to freak anyone out with grand gestures. Just make sure they were looked after and free from worry.

I read a statistic that 70% of lottery winners blow the money within 7 years of winning it.

You don’t have to turn your family into millionaires. Just keep treating them like family. Look after them by all means. Healthcare, education, holidays etc. You got lucky. Be humble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Id give my parents 500,000 enough to fix up their house with a bit left over to help them out when they retire but that's it.
    Family never helped me with anything, I put myself through college three times, paid for all my driving lessons, car and insurance, got no help from anyone learning to drive and the one time I borrowed a bit of money they were worse than a bank so I don't feel any obligation to give them anything, Only would do it out of soundness.
    I wouldnt tell anyone how much I won - family would hound me for it, and wouldnt tell anyone outside immediate family that I won anything. Id give the 30 million to charity, mostly animal and homeless shelters and mental health charities. I would love to go to children's hospitals and cancer ward's and pay off a load of randomers medical bills, go onto gofundme and donate money to people who need it, leave 50's, 100, 200 and 500 euro notes inside books in secondhand shops and bookshops to surprise random people, find genuine charities that build homes and supply education and medicine for people in third world countries. Id buy some cheap, vacant houses, fix them up and give them to homeless people.
    The rest id keep for my self, buy a house, take a year or two out to travel a bit, buy a nice car, save the rest for a comfortable life and reduce my work hours to part time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I always said that if I won, I'd build a huge interconnected house for them. They all have their own kids, so I'd build a large house for myself, and 4 more large houses around a central 'hub', a playroom of sorts. They could all live in their own houses and send the kids into the hub to entertain each other.

Then I'd disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I’d change my work on Facebook too: Full time mad bast***..

I’d continue to work in my ‘just above’ minimum wage dead end job for 3-4 weeks. Then I’d just quit. Tell my nasty boss what I really think and how he is such a grade A ****.

Then I’d give a million or two to people who really helped me out in life, with their advice and encouragement!

I’d buy my family what they wanted within reason of course.. not golf houses or rocket cars thank you very much!

After that, I’d donate some to charity

Then, I’d most likely buy a house.. after that I don’t know..

Realistically, if you won that much money and didn’t remain anonymous. You have to move away for a while until it the local parish gossip would die down..

My immediate family wouldn't need any money but if any of them are still paying mortgages or loans I'd offer to clear it, Buy the sis's place in Spain off her, I'd grow weed there then the next time they visit they would be horrified at the plants and the smell, don't think they know or care that growing a few plants is legal or tolerated in Spain.

That’s actually a genius plan!

job seeker wrote: »
    I’d change my work on Facebook too: Full time mad bast***..

I’d continue to work in my ‘just above’ minimum wage dead end job for 3-4 weeks. Then I’d just quit. Tell my nasty boss what I really think and how he is such a grade A ****.

Then I’d give a million or two to people who really helped me out in life, with their advice and encouragement!

I’d buy my family what they wanted within reason of course.. not golf houses or rocket cars thank you very much!

After that, I’d donate some to charity

Then, I’d most likely buy a house.. after that I don’t know..

Realistically, if you won that much money and didn’t remain anonymous. You have to move away for a while until it would local parish gossip would die down..

No offense but it sounds like you're one of the ones who'd be broke in seven years..

No offense but it sounds like you're one of the ones who'd be broke in seven years..

None taken! The change in Facebook job title is more a way of people not knowing I won the lotto. As opposed to actually acting the mick with the winnings..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i would by them all 1 euromillions ticket each (no plus) so that they might have a chance to be extremely wealthy like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ziedth wrote: »
    So with all that being said, I'd learn nothing and tell everyone then look after them for life..... I reckon I would become awfully eccentric though

You say that but the more generous you are the more people would come to you for money. You'd spend the rest of your life saying "no" and listening to sob stories of people's hardship, genuine and otherwise.

I'd like to help family but I'd definitely wait and talk to solicitor, accountant, and people who can genuinely advise you on what happens when you win the lotto.

I'd do nothing for 3 months. A complete moratorium on using the money. Time to really think about what to do.

You could get excites and tell lots of people how generous you're going to be and then every dog and divil will be expecting their handout and cursing you when you don't give them anything. Or worse still is when you do give someone a decent sum of money and they call you a stingy basturd.

Imagine you walk into the local and buy everyone a round - great lad. Next time you go in you don't buy everyone a round and you're a stingy pr1ck. Biggest pr1ck in the pub because you didn't give everyone a freeby.

I'd want to help some people who are close to me. But I think I'd be very sneaky about how I'd do it.

Everyone pre winning plan on giving most away to charities, family and friends.

How many actual winners have though?

bubblypop wrote: »
    The Euro millions?
    Absolutely my friends would be getting **** loads of money!
    No fun having money on your own!
    & I would have so much I could give most of it to charity really!

In time after there has been a front created for having the money I would treat friends to things like group holidays, let them use my helicopter from time to time, help out one in trouble etc but going around giving out cash is a mine field. Where do you draw the line, people will say you have more to others etc etc.

Keeping it all quiet so as not to be hounded by people for money would be the aim for the first period of time after winning so telling anyone outside those you name on the ticket (who would be my/my wives close family members) would make keeping things quiet impossible.

I can't believe I didn't win and I think the Spanish guy is a prick. I was already spending the money in my head. Need to actually buy a ticket next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Not specifically about this thread, but I'm curious, when you do a Lotto quick pick, is the machine in the shop picking them, or is it from back at Lotto HQ? Does anyone know? The latest €17 million winner is from Mayo and on the Irish Times they say...

“Mayo is a really lucky county when it comes to EuroMillions wins as amazingly this is the third Mayo jackpot win. This means that 20 per cent of all Irish EuroMillions jackpot winners come from the Heather County.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mayo-wins-for-a-change-winning-17m-lottery-ticket-sold-in-west-1.4172635?mode=amp

For one county with a population of ~131,000 to win so many times is so against the odds. Mayo has ~2.5% of the country's population but punches way above its weight. Not content with just winning the jackpot, another person in Mayo won the EuroMillions Plus draw on the same night. There's only a handful of counties that have won a EuroMillions jackpot prize, Carlow, Tipperary and Waterford(I think), Limerick, all once, and then Dublin obviously.

Back to my original question, is it the machine in the shop picking the numbers, Lotto HQ, or is it the lucky affect of Knock blessing Mayo residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

sligeach wrote: »
    Not specifically about this thread, but I'm curious, when you do a Lotto quick pick, is the machine in the shop picking them, or is it from back at Lotto HQ? Does anyone know? The latest €17 million winner is from Mayo and on the Irish Times they say...

“Mayo is a really lucky county when it comes to EuroMillions wins as amazingly this is the third Mayo jackpot win. This means that 20 per cent of all Irish EuroMillions jackpot winners come from the Heather County.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mayo-wins-for-a-change-winning-17m-lottery-ticket-sold-in-west-1.4172635?mode=amp

For one county with a population of ~131,000 to win so many times is so against the odds. Mayo has ~2.5% of the country's population but punches way above its weight. Not content with just winning the jackpot, another person in Mayo won the EuroMillions Plus draw on the same night. There's only a handful of counties that have won a EuroMillions jackpot prize, Carlow, Tipperary and Waterford(I think), Limerick, all once, and then Dublin obviously.

Back to my original question, is it the machine in the shop picking the numbers, Lotto HQ, or is it the lucky affect of Knock blessing Mayo residents?

Feck it I'm heading there in a couple of months. Must get a couple of tickets while I'm there. Might get one close to Knock and see how it compares to the other tickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

The machine in the shop sends a request to their data center, probably have quiet a few, a random number generator generates numbers the number and barcode assigned, sends the details back to the shop and it generates the ticket.

I was also thinking that to win the EuroMillions jackpot the odds are 1 in 139,838,160. But for people in Mayo to win both of the draws on the same night, you must be looking at odds in the billions. I don't know how you'd work that out.

I was also thinking that to win the EuroMillions jackpot the odds are 1 in 139,838,160. But for people in Mayo to win both of the draws on the same night, you must be looking at odds in the billions. I don't know how you'd work that out.

I think if we ignore Mayo / number of tickets and focus on the two the two lotteries, then there are a few scenarios..

1. "Jaysus, I wonder if both could be won in Mayo this weekend."
    - Multiply the odds so it's in the billions.

2. "Jaysus, I wonder if both could ever be won in Mayo on the same weekend."
    - Mathematically, the odds of this are 1? Infinity and all that.

3. "Jaysus, Mayo won both of them last weekend."
    - I have no idea how to work out the odds. I feel like it's just the higher odds which would be Euromillions.

4. "Jaysus, your one just won the Euromillions. Wonder if someone will win the other one this evening."
    - The odds are just the odds of the other one as the odds of winning the Euromillions is now 1. And vice versa if the Euromillions was after.

I just know that the same lottery numbers came out two weeks in a row in Bulgaria or something and the odds of that happening were just the odds of the lottery. It makes perfect sense if you imagine week one's lottery to be a quick pick and week two to be the actual draw.

Open to correction by someone who is actually good at this stuff. I hated probability in school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

My mother would get a new house and anything she needed, all bought, no cash as she'd spread it to the brother and sister I don't talk to. I would buy all of my friends houses off them and "rent" them back to them at around €1 a month. Buy houses and let 2 of my sisters and one of my brothers live in them. My other brother and sister would get nothing. Charity would get nothing. I'd help out the local football and GAA clubs, schools and i'd but machinery for hospital if they needed it.

I would buy all of my friends houses off them and "rent" them back to them at around €1 a month.

Best you never win, being your friends' landlord would not be a good thing.

Best you never win, being your friends' landlord would not be a good thing.

I wouldn't be their "landlord" it would just be a way of paying off their mortgage for them without giving the tax man a fortune.

The odds of winning both draws on the same night just got even longer. Castlebar sold both tickets.

"This is the third EuroMillions jackpot win in the town. And with a population of 12,000 people, surely Castlebar is Europe’s luckiest town!"

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/02/14/4185739-castlebar-gets-its-third-euromillions-jackpot-winner/

That's insane! We should all move to Castlebar. They say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, but for one small town to win 3 times is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm sure my sister's would start liking me again.... They haven't sat down with me for years.

"Oh how are you ?? Long time ! remember how close we were when growing up". F off.......

I wouldn't be their "landlord" it would just be a way of paying off their mortgage for them without giving the tax man a fortune.

You'd own their houses - that makes you their landlord.

That's insane! We should all move to Castlebar. They say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, but for one small town to win 3 times is crazy.

What else have to you do in Castlebar with your time or money, but play the lotto :D

Castlebar's has 0.24% of the country's population or ~1/416th. For the town to win 3 times is bonkers. And they've won the EuroMillions Plus draw 6 times as well. It's nuts when you think about it. Lucky town is an understatement.

They've won the Lotto and numerous other draws. There's far bigger towns in Ireland that have never won anything.

Is Castlebar Europe's luckiest town? Celebrations after third EuroMillions win

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0214/1115267-euromillions-castlebar/

Yes it is.

You'd own their houses - that makes you their landlord.

I'd be an absentee landlord.

• Advertisement

Another stat I read, Castlebar on its own accounts for 20% of all Irish EuroMillions jackpot winners. Incredible when it only has 0.24% of the country's population.

Advertisement