Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is music today a bit shït?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not to go all "BACK IN MY DAAAAY!" but whenever I hear some of what's popular today I get a little sad.

It's all a bit shït, for one. I find it's rather repetitive, seemingly always about the same subject. And always one genre... fake voices and synth instruments. What gives?

Music today is basically repeat of music from the past. Very little original comes out now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just took a glance out of interest, based on the UK since I doubt you'd be able to find the archives for Ireland.

Not sure if I should be depressed that I remember the ones 30 years ago or delighted I don't remember 40...adding to the conversation however.. the whole Mariah Carey thing last night shows the problem. Don't risk a note being off..mime to the Autotuned recordings so everything is perfection.
    Some of the best recordings from years ago were live recordings or demos. The studio version was crap. Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac a perfect example. Album version is over produced and mediocre and live (at the time) brilliant. Autotune back then came by the gramme

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Ha it has been for the last 15 years.
    We used to have many artists that were solid now they all seem to be retired or really mellowing out. Red hot chilli peppers have gone downhill since they got off the drugs.
    The girlfriend is my only link to modern music when I watch it I have the subtitles on as I havnt got a clue what the lyrics are at with all the synthetic and delays on their voices.
    Never heard/read such crap. I've sang better sentences into a hairdryer. There was one song about cake and wanting cake.
    Then what the **** was that with gangnam style.
    There was some godawful Romanian song mya hee
    I make an exception for John legend that was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It's hard to say because I think the way we consume music has changed significantly. The listener has to take a more proactive role in finding what they like because the cream isn't necessarily rising to the top on popular radio. But we have platforms like satellite radio, soundcloud, youtube, itunes, etc, and there's a lot of music to be found there. I've found new music that I love, and I'm a trained operatic mezzo soprano, so I'm a bit of music snob when it comes to things like actually having vocal talent and being able to perform live. But you would hear absolutely none of it on popular radio or the top 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Music today is basically repeat of music from the past. Very little original comes out now I think.

None of it has ever been truly original. It's always based on something else. Originality is kind of a tricky criterion with which to judge the value of music, i.e it's not particularly useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think the excuse that there is plenty of great music out there that is not getting noticed is ridiculous. The cream always rises to the top.
    Can you give some examples?
    I'm still waiting on this one.
    You want me to give you examples of the great music not being produced? Are you simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

You want me to give you examples of the great music not being produced? Are you simple?
    I hope you don't mean that as an insult. Can you give some examples of the cream rising to the top? Because it sure as hell has never been that way when it comes to music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

There's still good music out there, but you have to step away from the Beiber/Drake/Rihanna mainstream garbage.

Explore different styles of music, different genres. One of the better new bands out there coming with something completely different and unique is Babymetal.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

buried wrote: »
    Some absolutely brilliant music was released this year, for my ears anyways. All these albums were 10/10 for me, enjoyed the p!ss out of them I did. If I was relying on advert driven, mainstream corporate chart radio to introduce me to these works I'd have missed out on the enjoyment bigtime. That's the thing about this notion "All Today's music is $hit", that's like saying "All Today's TV dramas shows are $hit" when all your doing is watching two bad TV shows on two poor TV channels and ignoring everything else.
    Anyways here is what I did and still am enjoying. Somebody here mentioned they like modern movie soundtracks yesterday? They should check out that Heurco S LP, I'd say they'd really enjoy it.

1991 - No More Dreams
    Andy Stott - Too Many Voices
    Demdike Stare - Wonderland
    Konx-om-Pax - Caramel
    Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
    Klara Lewis - Too
    Jessy Lanza - Oh No
    Swans - Glowing Man
    Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
    Rashad Becker - Trad. Music of Notional Species Vol.2
    Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
    Equiknoxx - Bird Sound Power
    Huerco S.- For those of you who have never (And also those who have)
    Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
    Aphex Twin - Cheetah EP

I'd agree with most of those choices but it's telling that many of the best albums of 2016 are from acts who've been around since the 90's and in the case of Swans the early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Since there is already 130 posts on this and i have not noticed anyone saying this is a good new band or a good new album released i will have to say that it is likely the original poster must be correct.
    I am completely open minded and unfortunately i thought it was out there and i was looking in the wrong place.
    There is loads of new trad/folk type new acts out there and though some of it is fine of 500 cds i have not much more than 10 (excluding bob D)
    Also the americian country/blues scene doing ok but not much ii can see happening around here.
    There must be good new bands in Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Since there is already 130 posts on this and i have not noticed anyone saying this is a good new band or a good new album released i will have to say that it is likely the original poster must be correct.
    I am completely open minded and unfortunately i thought it was out there and i was looking in the wrong place.
    There is loads of new trad/folk type new acts out there and though some of it is fine of 500 cds i have not much more than 10 (excluding bob D)
    Also the americian country/blues scene doing ok but not much ii can see happening around here.
    There must be good new bands in Dublin...

Some of the modern stuff I like includes Tame Impala, Deerhunter, Mick Flannery, Kendrick Lamarr, Temples, Wooden Shjips, And So I Watch You From Afar, Japandroids, Yuck, The Joy Formidable, Fionn Regan, Joanna Newsom, Dumbo Gets Mad, Frank Ocean, Deafheaven, Mastodon, Julia Holter, Beach House, Tim Hecker, Neon Indian, Mac Demarco, St. Vincent, Fidlar, Ty Segall, Fucked Up, F*ck Buttons, No Joy, Jagwar Ma, Savages, Splashh, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Kurt Vile, Youth Lagoon, Moon Duo, Cate Le Bon, Six Organs Of Admittance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The music industry's response: "No, you're sh*t"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Suas11 wrote: »
    Some of the modern stuff I like includes Tame Impala, Deerhunter, Mick Flannery, Kendrick Lamarr, Temples, Wooden Shjips, And So I Watch You From Afar, Japandroids, Yuck, The Joy Formidable, Fionn Regan, Joanna Newsom, Dumbo Gets Mad, Frank Ocean, Deafheaven, Mastodon, Julia Holter, Beach House, Tim Hecker, Neon Indian, Mac Demarco, St. Vincent, Fidlar, Ty Segall, Fucked Up, F*ck Buttons, No Joy, Jagwar Ma, Savages, Splashh, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Kurt Vile, Youth Lagoon, Moon Duo, Cate Le Bon, Six Organs Of Admittance

Thanks for that i listened to a few but a bit tame for my taste but if that's what people like its ok by me.
    I used to say some of the stuff on tv rubbish, then i realized most people were watching this celeb stuff so i must be out of touch.
    If you don't mind which would be the most rock 6 or so, it will wreck my head to go through them all.

many thanks

Thanks for that i listened to a few but a bit tame for my taste but if that's what people like its ok by me.
    I used to say some of the stuff on tv rubbish, then i realized most people were watching this celeb stuff so i must be out of touch.
    If you don't mind which would be the most rock 6 or so, it will wreck my head to go through them all.

many thanks

Tame Impala, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Temples = psychedelic
    Japandroids = garage rock
    Yuck = sound like early 90s alt rock (check out their debut album)
    The Joy Formidable = shoegazing (again their debut is the best)
    And So I Watch You From Afar = instrumental post-rock/math rock
    Deerhunter = mix of stuff from shoegaze to garage rock

Also, if you like metal you should definitely listen to Mastodon.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

The whole pop scene is tired, played out, every combination of notes, riffs and melodies seem to have been covered, hence it's hard to experience something that seems new and fresh. Something completely new has to come along but it's hard to see how at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I always laugh when some idiot creates a thread like this.
    Why the saltiness and lack of elaboration?

It's in reference to commercial/chart/pop/daytime radio music - not music outside of that, of which there will of course always be much quality stuff.

But while I've loved the less mainstream side of things since I was about 12, I also love a good pop song, and the days of good pop songs or decent acts managing to get into the top ten seem to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Noveight wrote: »
    Depends on your taste, but there's loads of good stuff being produced that doesn't make the top 40, or top 100 for that matter. Just takes some effort to root through Nikki Minaj and Arianna Grande wannabe's singing about arse shaking.
    While I agree with your sentiment, the example of 'good' music you gave is fairly bland.
    It's of a slightly higher caliber but not for me. Is there no one around like years ago no? Disturbed, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc. Have artists in that vein died off?
    I'm sure that are plenty of new dinosaur rock'n'roll bands still around, even though they're not getting into the charts or onto the radio. The internet might be able to help you to find them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Was just thinking about this.

Even the 'bad' pop songs in the 80s were deadly. Especially compared to today's.
    It's easier now to find great music and new bands. Just gotta look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Flimpson wrote: »
    Why the saltiness and lack of elaboration?

It's in reference to commercial/chart/pop/daytime radio music - not music outside of that, of which there will of course always be much quality stuff.

But while I've loved the less mainstream side of things since I was about 12, I also love a good pop song, and the days of good pop songs or decent acts managing to get into the top ten seem to be gone.
    The issue is that one of these threads seems to come along every two months or so, and it's getting boring. Incredibly boring.

Unfortunately the thread title does not reflect that it is just in reference to chart/radio music. It would be great if the thread title was more specific to this. Only then would all the older people (who seem to be completely out of touch with music anyway) coming in here moaning about music today being shit have some sort of solid ground to stand on. Yes chart music is a bit shit, it has been for as long as I can remember since I was a kid in the early 90's. But music today as a whole being shit? These people clearly don't make any effort at all when it comes to music.

I'd rather mods just close these type of threads as they are completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The issue is that one of these threads seems to come along every two months or so, and it's getting boring. Incredibly boring.

Unfortunately the thread title does not reflect that it is just in reference to chart/radio music. It would be great if the thread title was more specific to this. Only then would all the older people (who seem to be completely out of touch with music anyway) coming in here moaning about music today being shit have some sort of solid ground to stand on. Yes chart music is a bit shit, it has been for as long as I can remember since I was a kid in the early 90's. But music today as a whole being shit? These people clearly don't make any effort at all when it comes to music.

I'd rather mods just close these type of threads as they are completely pointless.

To be fair the OP is posing a question, not just flat out claiming it: is it a bit crap these days for decent music? That opens things up for debate between those who disagree and agree. Seems fair enough to discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

mzungu wrote: »
    Apparently Milli Vanilli didn't have a note in their collective heads. Not even autotune that fix that.

I had just successfully erased them from memory!

Thanks ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I watched top of the pops christmas edition , the music seemed to be all r and b pop, most of the singers were white .But they all sounded like generic black pop singers ,very boring and bland .IF this is the best of british pop music they industry is in a bad way.
    Not one song had a hint of emotion or love or great singing talent.
    I understand singers like rihanna or beiber or drake might not be bothered to appear
    live on british tv.When they can sell millions of cds and get millions of streams
    and views on youtube.
    As in previous post i could see no hint of a classic pop song with good lyrics or a strong melody.
    Theres has always been awful mediocre songs in the charts .It has not been a great year for pop music .
    see Sia she writes beautiful songs with clever lyrics .And she is a fantastic singer.
    Theres still hope for pop music .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hollis Hurlbut

Arghus wrote: »
    To be fair the OP is posing a question, not just flat out claiming it: is it a bit crap these days for decent music? That opens things up for debate between those who disagree and agree. Seems fair enough to discuss it.

People who are really into music will make the effort to find things more in tune with their tastes - tastes that have developed over years of listening to and playing music.

The rest will take what their given - the Killers, Kings of Leon etc etc and to them, that will be good enough. Nothing wrong with that.

Until they go missing for a while and you're left with James Bay and Ed Shearan and an abundance of rubbish pop songs. And then the 'music' is crap to today' thread comes along -from what I've read!

And it is, because you're no longer being spoon fed decent popular stuff, you have to go the extra mile and find similar music, perhaps from lesser known bands or bands that are only on the up. But they won't, because, they're just not that into it.

Is music today crap? Yes if you're the latter, no if you're the former. Simple. No debate to be had. Look a bit closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

These threads always wind up the same.

- Attack on X factor/Bieber/Rihanna.
    - "Plenty of good music, you have to know where to look".
    - List of bands nobody's ever heard of.
    - Every generation says the previous generation was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Using 2016 as a reference, you'd have to say that pop and rock have taken a bit of a back seat, as hip hop and r&b were very much to the fore. Fair enough, it was a great year for Radiohead, a superb final album from Bowie, but those are hardly new acts. There may have been some pop stuff that I'm not aware of, but I can't think of any rock albums that made any sort of an impact last year, other than the 2 above.

Frank Ocean, Solange, Kanye, Beyonce and Chance the Rapper were the artists that made the biggest impression in 2016 (I'm not saying they'd be my favourites, by any means, but they certainly had the biggest impact). A lot of people despise rap and r&b, and would disregard those acts from the outset, without ever listening to them. I think that's the biggest factor in making people think that all contemporary music is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Its the same as it always was.

If you are complaining that the music you hear on the radio and on the music channels is dogbed today, it was ever thus.

There is great music still being made, you just have to look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral wrote: »
    These threads always wind up the same.

- Attack on X factor/Bieber/Rihanna.
    - "Plenty of good music, you have to know where to look".
    - Every generation says the previous generation was better.

Literally an hour later....
    Glenster wrote: »
    Its the same as it always was.

If you are complaining that the music you hear on the radio and on the music channels is dogbed today, it was ever thus.

There is great music still being made, you just have to look for it.

:P:P:P

Omackeral wrote: »

Just because you've never heard of a band, doesn't mean that "nobody" else has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Everything's sh1te since Roy Orbison died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Loads of good music being made. Give these a listen 8Radio / 2XM / BBC6Music.
    Even the likes of Paul McLoone or John Creedon on Today FM / RTE1 play great new music.

Loads of sh1te music being made too, most of it pop music, but that's not what i'm into so it's subjective.

Advertisement