Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fungie the dolphin is missing - Or is he?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah my conspiracy theory is he's "missing" as they are having difficulty changing his batteries

He's due his NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I bet Obama took him out.

Damned upland Kenyans can never figure out the difference between seals and dolphins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

If in fact did Fungi exist in the first place.

It has been a great boost to the tourism of Kerry to have their own local dolphin.

Is it quantifiable how much Fungi has contributed to the Kerry economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus wept, just watched a report on the evening news, those individuals who partook in this nonsense will look back in time and wonder what we're they at. Two women shouting over the side of a boat, another person whistling in the bizzare notion, the dolphin might appear and perhaps wag its fins. Just awful moronic behavior. The reporter hoped fungi might be self isolating after a pod of dolphins were seen in the harbour recently. If this was our national broadcaster, you'd think it was a complete wind up. Cringe worthy stuff and I'm deeply embarrassed for all who took part in this nonsense.

Please tell me you don't have any pets... ?

Dolphins are pretty much just as friendly and playful as a dog. If you were used to having him around for 30+ years, he'd leave a big hole in your life. They're such happy positive creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Microchip the thing.
    Then "Fungi" or not "Fungi". Who cares?
    RTE are pathetic for giving that tourist trap free air time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

yes, the dolphin is going to hear voices or whistles over the roar of a diesel engine and the whirr of the propellor......you simpletons!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I've lit a candle for his safe return.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I've lit a candle for his safe return.

**** that we need to be out in the streets giving the lad a round of patronizing applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Noooooooo!!!!!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30791447.html

Oh, 2017.
    Still, one can dream eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Dempo1 wrote:
    Jesus wept, just watched a report on the evening news, those individuals who partook in this nonsense will look back in time and wonder what we're they at. Two women shouting over the side of a boat, another person whistling in the bizzare notion, the dolphin might appear and perhaps wag its fins. Just awful moronic behavior. The reporter hoped fungi might be self isolating after a pod of dolphins were seen in the harbour recently. If this was our national broadcaster, you'd think it was a complete wind up. Cringe worthy stuff and I'm deeply embarrassed for all who took part in this nonsense.

Im deeply embarrassed for you. Have you no insight onto the intelligence of Dolphins (for 1) and the importance of Fungie to their region. Pointless shouting i suppose but it likely picks up whistles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

Due to covid. Fungie is in his pod.

Due to covid. Fungie is in his pod.

No, I read an article he doesn't mix with 'common' dolphins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

imme wrote: »
    Is it quantifiable how much Fungi has contributed to the Kerry economy.
    It is always hard to quantify that even if you knew exactly how many people went to Dingle just for Fungi or wouldn't have gone otherwise and how much they spent

Then you have to look at who gains and where the money ends up going. The boat crowd gain a fair bit for sure but they have big maintenance and fuel costs. Also people living there tend to feck off to Land's Rotty or Marbella for the cold months and spend their money there instead

Dingle is full of overpriced AirBnBs and if you're just a local spud picker or fisherman you will struggle to find accommodation. What is impossible to quantify is how much of the money that comes in actually benefits the locals and how much of it goes towards turning the place into a veritable tourist-infested hellhole that lies deserted in the winter.

It is entirely possible that Dingle as a whole would be better off if Fungi would just fcuk off out of the place and go to Brendan or Cloghane or Ballyferriter instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It seems the pesky Kim Jong-un has kidnapped Fungie - according to Wikipedia........ :eek::rolleyes::D
    Wikipedia wrote:

In October 2020 there was concern for his welfare after he had not been seen for several days. Fungie is rumored to have been taken by North Korean dictator Kim Jung-un as part of an effort to set up a Dolphin Water Park in North Korea

Full article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He's in my pond chilling, said he needed to get away from Kerry people and enjoy his last few years in piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

Fish and chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

the last fisherman that just spoted him killed him now he's saying he's still alive

WrenBoy wrote: »
    He was holding out until better contract extension conditions could be agreed.

A bit like Melania, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Please tell me you don't have any pets... ?

Dolphins are pretty much just as friendly and playful as a dog. If you were used to having him around for 30+ years, he'd leave a big hole in your life. They're such happy positive creatures.

Actually I do a cat (almost 20 years old) and love animals, infact allow a field I have for abandoned donkeys to be used until new homes found.

My post was directed at the Moronic behavior of human beings, not the Dolphin, who I'm sure if it could would cover its eyes in shame with the absurd behavior of some dingle residents.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

^personally I haven't been able to eat and have been screeching at people on the street about how they "don't know what I'm going through" etc.
    'Everyone is very worried' - massive search operation for Fungie the dolphin as fears grow for his safety

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/everyone-is-very-worried-massive-search-operation-for-fungie-the-dolphin-as-fears-grow-for-his-safety-39638010.html

• Advertisement

Shergar II

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did people actually not realise that this was something that was always going to happen ? He’s a dolphin not a terminator, he’s a living thing and they do eventually die.

^personally I haven't been able to eat and have been screeching at people on the street about how they "don't know what I'm going through" etc.
    'Everyone is very worried' - massive search operation for Fungie the dolphin as fears grow for his safety

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/everyone-is-very-worried-massive-search-operation-for-fungie-the-dolphin-as-fears-grow-for-his-safety-39638010.html

O Dear God, enough already. The only people really concerned and not for Fungies wellbeing are the small cartel who controlled vehemently all things fungie in Dingle, This wonderful animal generated a few millionaires over the years, most of whom contributed nothing to Dingle, indeed the statue on the pier was financed partly by public donations.

Hideous and childish behavior, deeply embarrassing. I'd be curious if the vultures are charging unsuspecting tourists for the search trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Dempo1 wrote: »
    O Dear God, enough already. The only people really concerned and not for Fungies wellbeing are the small cartel who controlled vehemently all things fungie in Dingle, This wonderful animal generated a few millionaires over the years, most of whom contributed nothing to Dingle, indeed the statue on the pier was financed partly by public donations.

Hideous and childish behavior, deeply embarrassing. I'd be curious if the vultures are charging unsuspecting tourists for the search trips?
    Sure the vultures are busy circling Fungi's bloated carcass, not codding tourists!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did people actually not realise that this was something that was always going to happen ? He’s a dolphin not a terminator, he’s a living thing and they do eventually die.

They're probably looking for the carcase to stuff it for a replacement attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just saw there he has been hanging around Dingle for over 30 years, he must be old as the hills by now.

They're probably looking for the carcase to stuff it for a replacement attraction.

LOL, wouldn't surprise me at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

'West Cork Port'! No wonder they can't find him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sardonicat wrote: »
    'West Cork Port'! No wonder they can't find him

Geography is not "Ralph's" strongest subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Still on the hunt for Fungie. Using sonar, woo. And, no luck.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1018/1172258-fungie-search-latest/

Advertisement