Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When should heating be on?

• 03-10-2020 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

If you're a tenant and central heating is included in your rent, what hours of the day is it on for?

With many WFH this year or being asked to stay at home, are landlords being encouraged to provide all-day heating?

I think the government should be supporting them to do that. In my place, heating is off during the day. Other winters if I'm home, if it's a really cold day, I'd escape to somewhere that's warm for a few hours. That option isn't there this year.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When the space is cold.
    There’s no universal time when the beating should be on.

My B1 rated house might need it on for an hour, but the neighbors D3 for 2 hours etc

If it’s cost your worried about then ;

Are you cold?
    If yes, have you got socks and slipper/shoes on?
    Have you got a jumper on?

The government do support this by way of a working from home tax incentive of circa €3.20 per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

There should be something fairly specific, in the same way it's specified that fridge, cooker, hot water etc has to be provided, some guideline around heating should be given also.

If the BER rating is low, what does this mean to the tenant?

As to the tenant paying for additional heating, in my own case, aside from the cost, there wouldn't be enough sockets. The bathroom has no socket.
    If I wanted heating during the day to match the central heating in the living area (which is good when it's on) I'd need probably 3 oil heaters plugged in there. I already have a heater, which is ok most of the time, but to heat the place fully with its high ceilings on a wintry day I'd have to spend 100s on heaters, getting sockets in the walls, plus electricity bills would be sky high.

I'm saying it makes more sense in this time that central heating is in the day time as well, and not just a couple of hours morning/evening.

As mentioned, in normal times, it's not an issue when places are open during the day, or travel isn't restricted, so you have options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi OP, what temperature are your rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bathrooms do not have sockets for safety reasons I think?

I am of a different generation and we only heated the room we were using. You have heating at some times? ie morning and evening? But then we did not have central heating.

So one room is used in the day? And yes, dress more warmly.

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi OP, what temperature are your rooms?
    Hi, I haven't recorded the temperature but that's an idea, to get a thermometer.
    They have standards for other things in a tenancy, there should be one for room temperature as well I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Tenant should pay for heating if landlord paid it would be left on 24 hours

Graces7 wrote: »
    Bathrooms do not have sockets for safety reasons I think?
    That's true. Bathroom was a bad example. The point I was trying to make was lack of sockets in the apartment if I wanted to add heaters.
    You have heating at some times? ie morning and evening? But then we did not have central heating.
    Buildings without central heating had open fires. An open fire would be great for this situation, but not many have them now.

I'm talking about flat/apartment living where a landlord controls the heating of the building, sets when it comes on in the morning, for how long etc.

eleventh wrote: »
    That's true. Bathroom was a bad example. The point I was trying to make was lack of sockets in the apartment if I wanted to add heaters.
    Buildings without central heating had open fires. An open fire would be great for this situation, but not many have them now.

I'm talking about flat/apartment living where a landlord controls the heating of the building, sets when it comes on in the morning, for how long etc.

There are surely some sockets? Here I have only 4 for the entire place which is unusual.

And if you want 24./7 heating the rent will go up?

I have rented decades and never was heating included. One even got a bottled gas heater but I had to buy the gas.

There was a thread during the 2010 winter when folk were desperate to try to keep warm. Bleach bottles as hot water bottles, living and sleeping in one room.

You need to contact your landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Most people working from home are saving money on food and transport. I think there's a WFH tax relief available too. So paying a little more for heating seems a fair trade-off, especially considering the non-financial benefits of working from home also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Such arrangements are no longer legal. Tenants are required to have control of their own heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Wfh relief is paid by your employer. So it’s up to them to pay it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi, I haven't recorded the temperature but that's an idea, to get a thermometer.
    They have standards for other things in a tenancy, there should be one for room temperature as well I think.

I have smart TRVs each room is set to 20c. There is one room the house that is always 5c below the rest in the morning for some odd reason.

You can find a room temperature monitor on eBay for less than 5quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

You could get a Superser Gas heater and tank of gas for €120 or so and it'll heat up the place in no time. Just don't sleep with it on.

I lived in a place years ago with electric heaters (they were so bad the oven would warm the kitchen faster) and the electric bill was €450+ and we were still cold. Bought a Superser, they only needed to be used a few hours a day and you'd use less than two tanks a year. A tank of gas is only €30 and a lot more effective than a few hundred euro of electric heat, well in my experience but maybe the heaters were not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As above, a superserve gas heater would be ideal, but may be too big for one roo..

Another option is a heat lamp
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanitas-SIL06UK-Infrared-Soothing-Therapy/dp/B06XGWV8B4

Only 100w, but looks like a desk lamp if you wanted to avoid it being noticed and would give a basic level of heat.

As for plugs, a multi plug adapter is good for up to 2,000 - 2500 watts of power.

But best is an oil heater - For a room, a small 600w oil heater or even 1,000w will be sufficient. Quite cheap and light too.

Here I rely on a solid fuel stove that also heats the water and runs a couple of radiators. Oh and will cook food too. And a bottled gas cooker. Avoiding electric.

Darc19 wrote: »
    As above, a superserve gas heater would be ideal, but may be too big for one roo..

As for plugs, a multi plug adapter is good for up to 2,000 - 2500 watts of power."

I have two of these lined up on my kitchen table. Very efficient indeed.

There was a thread during the 2010 winter when folk were desperate to try to keep warm. Bleach bottles as hot water bottles, living and sleeping in one room.
    I wasn't home during the day then, in 2010. The landlord in that place was good with heating. Although it wasn't on daytime Mon-Fri (and didn't need to be) it was on Saturday and Sunday all day.
    Current LL has it on couple hours morning and evening. No difference weekends.
    The situation has changed anyway with covid. People are based at home now full time.

Anyone know what oil heating cost per day would be for 1 bedroom apartment?

Such arrangements are no longer legal. Tenants are required to have control of their own heating.
    I'm surprised to hear that. Are you sure? How is it done in a situation where the building is shared? I mean the way it's set up as far as I know is there's a place near the boiler where he sets it for the building.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, does the landlord live in the same flat as you?

Gumbo wrote: »
    OP, does the landlord live in the same flat as you?
    No. I presume you mean same building. No, anyway, he doesn't live here at all.

Edit: That's a strange question Gumbo. What's your reason for asking it? Would it make a difference if a LL live did live in one of the apartments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Heating included in the bills is one thing, controlling it and limiting when it can be used is another.
    As a tenant you must be able to control the heating system in your apartment by yourself.
    See section 3 of this leaflet.

https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/general/RTB_House_Safety_leaflet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That is not legal, nor has it been for years. There should at least be supplementary heating by way of a fixed appliance in each unit which can be controlled by the tenant. If you call the Environmental Officer of your local authority, they will inspect the property and insist the landlord provides a proper heating system.

How does this work financially? Does the landlord purchase the applicance and pay for it running?
    I mean the arrangement at the start was that central heating is included in rent but would be morning/evening only. This suited at the time and I agreed to it.

How does this work financially? Does the landlord purchase the applicance and pay for it running?
    I mean the arrangement at the start was that central heating is included in rent but would be morning/evening only. This suited at the time and I agreed to it.

In one rental out of the nine I have had in Ireland, the owner bought in a gas heater and did leave the cylinder in. After that it was up to me to replace it.

Else it was always for me to get and use a heater. And no heating included in the rental of course. Any more than I would expect the landlord to be paying my ESB bill.

I know; you have heating included but surely you need to ask the ll about increasing it and/or paying for the extra if you need it

Far easier/more sensible to buy eg a gas heater as has been suggested here for daytime useage. Surely " heating included in rent " does not mean 24/7!

It is up to the landlord to supply the appliance, which has to be fixed. A portable gas heater does not meet the required standard. How the fuel consumed is paid for, is a matter for negotiation between tenant and landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If you're a tenant and central heating is included in your rent, what hours of the day is it on for?

With many WFH this year or being asked to stay at home, are landlords being encouraged to provide all-day heating?

I think the government should be supporting them to do that. In my place, heating is off during the day. Other winters if I'm home, if it's a really cold day, I'd escape to somewhere that's warm for a few hours. That option isn't there this year.

I usually just turn my own heater on when im cold.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Have you got a jumper on?

The government do support this by way of a working from home tax incentive of circa €3.20 per day.

The government tax credit is 20% relief on 10% of your heating/electricity bills iirc.

The €3.20/day you refer to is what employers can pay employees without BIK being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wasn't home during the day then, in 2010. The landlord in that place was good with heating. Although it wasn't on daytime Mon-Fri (and didn't need to be) it was on Saturday and Sunday all day.
    Current LL has it on couple hours morning and evening. No difference weekends.
    The situation has changed anyway with covid. People are based at home now full time.

Anyone know what oil heating cost per day would be for 1 bedroom apartment?

Shouldnt be too expensive. Here is what it is using electricity. Oil is probably even less.

I keep a 35sqm granny flat at 20C all day and night these days for €1 - 1.50 per 24 hours on average with an electric heater and a thermostat. It goes up and down a bit depending on the outside temp. And that would be for about 6 months of the year.
    I have an energy monitor on the socket for the heater and its also connected to a room thermostat. So I can track the cost down to the day.

I know; you have heating included but surely you need to ask the ll about increasing it and/or paying for the extra if you need it

Far easier/more sensible to buy eg a gas heater as has been suggested here for daytime useage. Surely " heating included in rent " does not mean 24/7!
    Having all-day heating, I meant it to be available, not necessarily that it be on continuously. A few hours in the day could be enough. On a day where temp is around 0 though you might well want it continuously. I'd never have it 24/7 though, I'd want it off at night.
    The rent is overpriced already. I wouldn't ask to pay more.

I realise now it should be controlled by the tenant, but that isn't set up here. It's controlled centrally. It would probably mean changing wiring etc to set up which I don't think he'd agree to.

• Advertisement

Having all-day heating, I meant it to be available, not necessarily that it be on continuously. A few hours in the day could be enough. On a day where temp is around 0 though you might well want it continuously. I'd never have it 24/7 though, I'd want it off at night.
    The rent is overpriced already. I wouldn't ask to pay more.

I realise now it should be controlled by the tenant, but that isn't set up here. It's controlled centrally. It would probably mean changing wiring etc to set up which I don't think he'd agree to.

He will have no choice if the council tell him to.

Advertisement