Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 1970s - The Decade That Taste Forgot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

A cute female bottom in tight white pants under blacklight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I do remember Vesta curries, but was too young to eat them, the DA loved them, so exotic lol.

Mam was delighted, all in one pack, as far as I remember they were boiled or something. No mickeywaves around then.

Vesta curries were a godsend for a tired mother. I liked them. They weren't that spicy but I used to douse mine in a layer of Saxa pepper until it looked like a sand dune just so I could experience being an exotic Indian eating this great dish. And I wouldn't drink any milk or water either. Just let my eardums throb. This was how it was done in far away Asia.

:p

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I loved vesta currys! Boiled - the rice was in a bag and the 'meat' sauce was in a type of tin container. Used to have them in the 80s.

Jayzuz...getting hungry now.

Another fine invention for the tired mother was the steak and kidney pie. When one of those was put in front of me on a bed of peas I knew that the world was a good place. It was a dinner straight out of The Beano. Stab the pie a few times on top to release some heat but also hack open the soft tender pastry underbelly of the pie and allow the pie gravy to cement several peas together like a kind of meaty frog-spawn so you could shovel it into your gob.

Ambrosia.

Apart from the exoticism of Vesta curries, food was generally very bland, poor quality, repetitive. Meat was of poor quality, the butchers kept aside any de ent cuts for hotels and catering, and some of them displayed quite an attitude if your mother complained and said she wanted a better cut next time, there'd usually be some cheeky remark like "you're lucky to have meat missus, and it's all good". It would have cost an absolute fortune, and the only affordable stuff was poor quality mince.

Eating out was mostly done in hotel dining rooms or "grills" where fried plaice, the classic mixed grill, etc, with chips, would be usual fare. Dessert was usually apple pie or in late 70s Black Forest Gateau. Prawn cocktail, melon or half a grapefruit with cherry on top, were usual starters. If you were seriously splashing out for an occasion smoked salmon was the no. 1 choice. Standalone restaurants were relatively few and far between, but you did gave the odd relatively affordable place like the Berni Inn where you could push the boat out and order steak, and even Irish/Calypso etc coffee for afters!

I remember, after starting work, bringing my mother on an annual 3 night winter break to somewhere like Edinburgh, and I couldn't stretch to the optional full breakfast, as all the money had been spent on air fare and hotel bed. We had to stick to continental. On the other hand the following year I took her to a Berni Inn hotel in Bristol and we got steak for breakfast! There was a wine bar in the hotel of all things, however no en-suite bathrooms in the rooms. En-suites bedrooms in hotels were not that commonplace, and in Ireland you always had to go to a "Grade A" hotel to be guaranteed one.

I don't know. My memories of food in the 70s as a small boy was pretty good. I don't ever recall eating shit meat. Rashers, sausages, eggs, black pudding for the fry were "same as it ever was". A chicken for roasting was the business....probably better then from the butcher than the water pumped, battery farmed crap from the supermarket now. A boiled ham to go with the cabbage was always done better by my granny than by my mother....who is a great cook. Granny just got it right. Smoked cod for the fish pie was excellent. Butcher cut corned beef slices to have in sandwiches on Sunday afternoon after the oul lad finished his round of golf were a lot better than the packaged gear you get now.

The food wasn't repetitive at all. We just didn't have "foreign" foods like stir fries or pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Also on the domestic front, the infatuation with sets of Cutlery and China, and furniture auctions, especially from a Parish Priests house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think men's hairstyles now are worse than the 80s.
    In the 80s everyone watch the same programs at the same time, top of the pops, late late show, match of the day etc now we have 100s of channels.
    No point in asking someone what they watched last night. Everyone watches different programs
    If you had a job you could buy a house.
    Rents were low.
    Most people watched itv. Bbc. Rte.
    . We did not have a housing crisis.
    People listened to pirate radio there was no 2fm radio.
    I think ripped jeans look awful.
    Lots of young women wear ripped jeans.
    People were not obsessed with social media or looking at a phone screen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Also on the domestic front, the infatuation with sets of Cutlery and China, and furniture auctions, especially from a Parish Priests house

Every house had clutter; glass cases of delph that never got used, cheap ornaments and holiday souvenirs, china dogs and if you were really top of your game, Waterford Crystal.

I don't know. My memories of food in the 70s as a small boy was pretty good. I don't ever recall eating shit meat. Rashers, sausages, eggs, black pudding for the fry were "same as it ever was". A chicken for roasting was the business....probably better then from the butcher than the water pumped, battery farmed crap from the supermarket now. A boiled ham to go with the cabbage was always done better by my granny than by my mother....who is a great cook. Granny just got it right. Smoked cod for the fish pie was excellent. Butcher cut corned beef slices to have in sandwiches on Sunday afternoon after the oul lad finished his round of golf were a lot better than the packaged gear you get now.

The food wasn't repetitive at all. We just didn't have "foreign" foods like stir fries or pasta

It wasn't that great in my house :( Mother too busy running her hat making business in the house which sometimes went in into the small hours, little time for cooking.

Every house had clutter; glass cases of delph that never got used, cheap ornaments and holiday souvenirs, china dogs and if you were really top of your game, Waterford Crystal.

I still have that :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Another fine invention for the tired mother was the steak and kidney pie. When one of those was put in front of me on a bed of peas I knew that the world was a good place. It was a dinner straight out of The Beano. Stab the pie a few times on top to release some heat but also hack open the soft tender pastry underbelly of the pie and allow the pie gravy to cement several peas together like a kind of meaty frog-spawn so you could shovel it into your gob.

Ambrosia.

You forgot the chips, lovely with peas but even nicer beans. God how you farted forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It wasn't that great in my house :( Mother too busy running her bat making business in the house which sometimes went in into the small hours, little time for cooking.

Offal; kidney and liver and crap cuts that nowadays no-one buys and end up in pet food. But people looked healthier, or were at least thinner than today.

On the other hand, they smoked like troopers or breathed the smoke of others in closed spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The ladies' hair was sexy I thought. Those swishy styles with the sides curled back like PC Annie Cartwright from Life On Mars....yum!

Flicks! My sister had heated curlers to do hers with every day and as she was leaving the house would say "are my flicks alright.?" God help me if I went near her heated curlers!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ambrosia.

and now you have me thinking about fray bentos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Looking back at old pictures from the 70’s it not the ones of me I cringe at, it’s the grown balding men with comb overs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Brown clothing was the norm. You were seen as a ruffian if you had a shaved head so most balding men grew their hair out at the sides making them look a lot older.

The smoking on public transport and in indoor offices also. I was born in 1979 but I do remember people smoking on public transport in the 80's. A friend of mine worked in the old P&T in Dublin back in the 70's and he said smoking was commonplace in the operator rooms. They would sneak out for pints at lunchtime also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pretty much. Though goulash made an appearance as a new fangled food. Lots of ready meals like Smash were popular with some. The Irish salad of the time was a joy to behold. Not. Hard boiled egg, with a leaf of salad and some out of a jar mayonnaise type stuff in the corner. Maybe a bit of beetroot.

I was really very lucky that my parents were into travel beyond the wet weekend in "the country", so we went to France and Spain and Italy for holidays in the late 70's. Now even though I was a kid it did open my eyes to the wider world beyond what I saw on the TV. I was also lucky to be in Dublin and had "the piped TV" so it wasn't just RTE. The food in the above countries was a shock. Being a kid the above culture's notions of sweets for kids were muck of the highest order. :D I remember Spanish toy shops being so much cooler than Irish ones though.

And I hated flares with a vengeance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The smoking on public transport and in indoor offices also.
    Smoking was everywhere. Buses, cinemas, planes, even hospital waiting rooms had ashtrays. I remember my dad bringing me to a James Bond flic(The Spy Who Loved Me IIRC) and viewed it through a haze of smoke. Very atmospheric. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Debbie Harry, Stevie Nicks there was some women with great style in the 70s.
    And nothing back then is worse than the Groucho Marx eyebrows young wans draw on themselves these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I wasn't even at the back of me father's balls in the 70s but always looked a fun and interesting decade with some great fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Beef curry, "....May Contain Crustaceans, May Contain Fish,...May Contain Molluscs,..."

Molluscs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Somebody mentioned the band Television earlier. Marquee Moon and Adventure albums - over 40 years old, barely dated and still brilliant.

Another of the greatest bands of the 70s (and of all time really) is The Stranglers. Mad that the late 70s is now as long ago as the 70s was from the 1930s.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My dad used Old Spice, Brut and he also had a bottle of something called "Sex Appeal" which I don't think he ever used and probably got as a gift one Christmas. :D

As a 4 year old I had blue flared dungarees. And no, I will NOT post a photo up!!

Kylta wrote: »
    You forgot the chips, lovely with peas but even nicer beans. God how you farted forever

PM me.....wanna get married?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I must be around the same age as the OP and I think we suffer from the same condition: coming of age when the Seventies were being derided as the decade taste forgot.

But looking back, the 1980s were dire: in my case, girls' teenage fashion was trashy and looks even more dated now. The 1970s had bell bottoms and hot pants, natural fabrics, sexy natural-looking hair. The 1980s had black clothes, unflattering boxy profiles in fashion, hair gel. There's literally a handful of outfits I owned that I'd like to see resurrected. The 1990s were only bearable because fashion raided the 1970s for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I must be around the same age as the OP and I think we suffer from the same condition: coming of age when the Seventies were being derided as the decade taste forgot.

But looking back, the 1980s were dire: in my case, girls' teenage fashion was trashy and looks even more dated now. The 1970s had bell bottoms and hot pants, natural fabrics, sexy natural-looking hair. The 1980s had black clothes, unflattering boxy profiles in fashion, hair gel. There's literally a handful of outfits I owned that I'd like to see resurrected. The 1990s were only bearable because fashion raided the 1970s for ideas.

The 80s were harsh alright. Look at Stevie nicks for eg. Really nice natural looking hair in the 70s.
    Then the 80s hit and BAM! Poodle perm :(

I forgot about the huge Dynasty shoulder-pads as well!

JupiterKid wrote: »

As a 4 year old I had blue flared dungarees. And no, I will NOT post photos

I had a pair of lime green flared dungarees with a kangaroo patch down on the front. Patches were BIG on the first half of the 70s - pandas, rainbows, stars and snoopy. I actually really love the clothes that young people wore it's just the hair I take issue with. Post punk clothing became much more simple and less outlandish and ornate - like the music. Just keep the good stuff.

I must take issue with the notion that we wore more natural fabric. Polyester and nylon were the fabric of choice. Maybe that's why everyone's hair was so bad. All that static!

The 80s were harsh alright. Look at Stevie nicks for eg. Really nice natural looking hair in the 70s.
    Then the 80s hit and BAM! Poodle perm :(

I forgot about the huge Dynasty shoulder-pads as well!

The perms in the 80s were awful and they destroyed your hair. I've got very thick hair and I've always worn it long (I've always been a retro throwback ) and whenever I met someone the first they'd say was " you should get a shaggy perm, it would look amazing on you" but I stood my ground and made it through the decade without one. Twenty years later when everyone was straightening the life out if their hair I deliberately let my waves and curls go wild without any styling whatsoever. I'm contrary like that. These days I just hope I'm not showing too much grey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Only thing amiss with the seventies is very few people had tattoos. Nowadays, the prettiest girls and handsomest boys get covered in tats that would make the cheesiest wallpaper of the period look insanely tasteful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

If someone told me I could only watch movies from the 70's then I'd be perfectly ok with that.

Advertisement