Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beware of dog sign

• 27-06-2020 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi , I own 2 german shepards, 1 is of Czech lines and will attack if strangers enter without permission or forcibly. If I have a sign up telling people beware of dogs/trespassing does that protect me if the dog was to protect its home ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/farming/dealing-with-trespassers-830505.html

It sounds from this article like if you have a guard dog, but you warn people of them in advance, it's at their discretion to risk the harm of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Don't advertise the fact you have a dog. Dog protects. No fallback on you. No Judge in the world is going to rule against an owner and his/her dog protecting/defending whats theirs.

So if a esb meter reader walks through the gate and gets attacked, that's OK cos you have a sign up.??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Darc19 wrote: »
    So if a esb meter reader walks through the gate and gets attacked, that's OK cos you have a sign up.??
    If you were an ESB meter reader and saw a sign warning you of danger would you proceed and put yourself in that danger?

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    If you were an ESB meter reader and saw a sign warning you of danger would you proceed and put yourself in that danger?

There are dog warning signs on almost every second house.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.odwyersolicitors.ie/when-dogs-attack/#:~:text=This%20means%20that%20any%20dog,provided%20for%20in%20the%20Acts.&text=The%20legislation%20not%20only%20covers,but%20also%20on%20other%20animals.

From above :
    any dog owner must be responsible and must ensure at all times that their dog or dogs are kept under control. Placing a “Beware of Dog” sign does not grant immunity from the responsibilities provided for in the Acts.

There are dog warning signs on almost every second house.

No there is not.
    But you didn't answer the question.
    ESB readings can be estimated or even submitted.
    I wouldn't enter anywhere that had a warning sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

blade1 wrote: »
    No there is not.
    But you didn't answer the question.
    ESB readings can be estimated or even submitted.
    I wouldn't enter anywhere that had a warning sign up.

Of course you wouldn't. Neither would I. But if we did, the owner is not granted immunity because of his sign.

Of course you wouldn't. Neither would I. But if we did, the owner is not granted immunity because of his sign.

I know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Put a big fence up and lock the gate. If someone sees the sign and is then stupid enough to climb over and gets scoffed by the dog then it’s their own fault. But you’ll still get sued

I got attacked about 3 weeks.
    No sign up and dogs are never out.
    6 or 7 of them came at me.
    One of them was vicious and the others seemed to be going nuts because of the one vicious one.
    They were all going crazy.
    Most of them were just mouthing me but the one fella bit me then and kept coming at me.
    I had to kick him but he kept coming at me.
    I then stuck out my boot(steel toecap) and he kept biting that while the other were still going crazy and mouthing me.

The toughest part was trying to watch them all and not knowing which would bite me.
    Not sure how long it lasted (30 seconds-1 min at a guess) before the owner ran out and pulled the one away.
    The others backed off then.
    The owner, an elderly man apologised profusely and was really shaken by it (imagine how I felt :pac:).
    I told him don't worry about it.
    I wasn't badly hurt (little bruise and a hole in my trousers) and it was a mistake.
    Not a nice experience though.

And what If that had been a small child they were attacking?

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I'm sure you already know the answer to that.

Nigzcurran wrote: »

I thought it would take longer for the "if it was a child" comment.

Why do people always say "what if it was a child" or what if it was a "vulnerable" person.

There was a minor stabbing in Kildare Town on Thursday evening about 6pm after someone nicked stuff from lidl.

He was caught quickly but within minutes the "it could have been a child" and "what would have happened if it was the middle of the night."

Ffs.

I thought it would take longer for the "if it was a child" comment.

Why do people always say "what if it was a child" or what if it was a "vulnerable" person.

There was a minor stabbing in Kildare Town on Thursday evening about 6pm after someone nicked stuff from lidl.

He was caught quickly but within minutes the "it could have been a child" and "what would have happened if it was the middle of the night."

Ffs.

Especially on here.

What if I called the authorities and got his dogs put down?
    Elderly gentleman out in the back of beyond on his own.
    What if 2 weeks later he gets broken into,robbed, beaten up or killed?

All my fault again.
    You can't win on here no matter what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If your dog is likely to attack you need to prevent the dog getting out and anyone coming in. If the meter reader can just enter your property it doesn’t sound like it’s very secure? I’d at least call the esb and tell them you don’t want the meter read anymore to prevent somebody who’s just doing their job getting injured.

You come across as a bit nonchalant about your dog attacking somebody which I hope isn’t the case(!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

i have a sign up didnt stop the <snip> calling to buy & sell **** so one day i let him out & i have not seen one since he ran after them and they legged it! Love that dog...... 51 kg of belgian shepherd

Ha so it’s changed now from someone entering your property and getting bitten to now allowing dangerous dogs roam freely biting anyone who moves. Yep easily knowing I’m dealing with dog owners, they’ll do and say anything to justify it even if it’s just to themselves

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Nigzcurran, youre in the Animals & Pets forum. If you can't post here without slagging off pet owners, then don't post here again.
    Thanks.

Puppieperson, you're around long enough to know that you can't use boards to refer to ethnic minorities in the way you did in your post.
    Thanks.

Please do not reply to this post on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I asked an actual solicitor her opinion on this and she advised get a sign regardless what kind of dog someone has.
    So I got 4 signs! I did have a 2 different lads with transits land at the house, they seen the signs weren't just for decoration and nobody has been back since

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I asked an actual solicitor her opinion on this and she advised get a sign regardless what kind of dog someone has.
    So I got 4 signs! I did have a 2 different lads with transits land at the house, they seen the signs weren't just for decoration and nobody has been back since

Thanks I have 2 signs up was just getting peoples opinions on this:)

Advertisement