Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor workbench.

• 21-06-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was gifted a very nice handmade outside Workbench. It’s not pressure treated but it is seasoned wood. It will be outside to the elements.

What should I use to protect it?
    I know there’s oil based and film based for outdoor wood. I’ve previously used a primer and overcoat on my wood fascia, Pressure treated wood door and iron gate and iron gutters. Got it in a decor shop and for the life of me I can’t remember the name; tin is gone but I thought it was a Sadolin product but don’t think they do metal paint. This was both metal and wood.

Anyway - so I get a marine varnish (which I think might not give sufficient protection as this will likely get battered and bruised and therefore break the film allowing water ingress.

Do I get some form of oil based like textrol?

Or is there something cheap and cheerful like masonry paint and owatrol?

And should I buy some treatment on it first.

Really appreciate your insight and advice. Again, it’ll be a workbench outdoors. It’ll take a bit of bashing, possibly have oil and the like on it. But I want to look after it - I’ve no problem with sanding and treating every year either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can you post a few pics as I want to make one!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Can you post a few pics as I want to make one!

i just want to ogle it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭karlitob

Seve OB wrote: »
    i just want to ogle it!

Will try and get a few up later. Ha.

Any suggestions on protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tung oil or Linseed, but tbh any flat surface outdoors is not good in this climate.
    Can you put any kind of cover above it to at least stop rain landing directly on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Depends on how toxic you want to go to an extent! - an exterior fence preservative will soak well into the timber and give it great protection while it's outside but I wouldn't really want to be handling a bench covered in that stuff.

I've used Sadolins Classic to good effect on outdoor furniture that's in a constantly damp environment but only gets drenched in the strongest of storms, e.g. on a table that's under a covered area but is open at both ends so that the weather blows through constantly.

https://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/sadolin-classic-wood-protection/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭karlitob

Depends on how toxic you want to go to an extent! - an exterior fence preservative will soak well into the timber and give it great protection while it's outside but I wouldn't really want to be handling a bench covered in that stuff.

I've used Sadolins Classic to good effect on outdoor furniture that's in a constantly damp environment but only gets drenched in the strongest of storms, e.g. on a table that's under a covered area but is open at both ends so that the weather blows through constantly.

https://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/sadolin-classic-wood-protection/

Thanks for that. Thought about using that but I think you might have to put a Sadolin top coat varnish on - which will get damaged because it’s a work bench and there would be water ingress.

I’ve been told - textrol or aquadecs. Supposedly great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

For an outdoors bench I would favor a removable cover in a marine fabric that is engineered for superior hydros and breathability something similar to that which is used for boat covering. A Hydrofend fabric such as Ultima, Sauleda acrylic canvas, etc.
    A boat yard is your friend as they will fabricate a cover to your specs.

Coat the bench with as many applications of a good quality exterior oil product as desired but it will need regular maintenance for its life outdoors.

Good luck

Advertisement