Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wailin wrote: »
    Yeah that is seriously nice. Much better without those poxy foglights on the GTi.

Those fog lights make me sick. I have that weird fear of groups of small holes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I always thought the mark 7 gti was better looking than the R but looking like the reverse for mark 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Thats one of those test mules, you can tell its got camouflage on the front - note the bits on the front bumper bolted on to make it look more like a MK7. The seats look the same as those revealed in the GTI... much better than the MK7 seats though alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

And now the hysteria of the mk8 has died down and people are now coming on board liking it. Happens every model :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is it missing R badges?

L-M wrote: »
    Those fog lights make me sick. I have that weird fear of groups of small holes lol
    Trypophobia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

This thing actually really annoys me. They are doing all these fast suvs, with stupid price tags, but completely ignoring Small hot hatch segment. Only overpriced polo GTI. No more Ibiza Cupra or Fabia vrs.

New Ibiza would have made fantastic hot hatch and at right price. I would be the first one in line to get one.

Absolutely. Currently sitting in a seat dealer looking around and the sportiest car I can see from here is a 1.5tsi fr arona. Probably the closest you'll get to a fast ibiza for now and it's only 150bhp.

I know theres a few leon cupras here but I cant see them.

I'm not entirely sold on the new cupra leon in looks, but not that it matters. I don't have 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Thats one of those test mules, you can tell its got camouflage on the front - note the bits on the front bumper bolted on to make it look more like a MK7. The seats look the same as those revealed in the GTI... much better than the MK7 seats though alright.

Yep, definitely a test mule and with plenty of weight in the back too given how low it’s sitting at the rear. I like the seats but little else to be honest.
    This thing actually really annoys me. They are doing all these fast suvs, with stupid price tags, but completely ignoring Small hot hatch segment. Only overpriced polo GTI. No more Ibiza Cupra or Fabia vrs.

New Ibiza would have made fantastic hot hatch and at right price. I would be the first one in line to get one.

I totally agree with you here but it’s a numbers game; people just were/are not buying the normal (non-SUV) small cars with even less again buying the hot hatch versions. People now want to sit higher up and it seems are willing to pay a premium for that. Add to that the drop in interior material quality (mainly plastics) and the removal of items found on previous generations in the lower end models and you can see where VW are clawing back their money from dieselgate. All you need do is look at the price difference between a Polo and the equivalent T-Roc and compare those interior materials and with those on an equivalent mk7. They’re cutting corners/costs everywhere and unfortunately small hot hatches are not immune either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Yep, definitely a test mule and with plenty of weight in the back too given how low it’s sitting at the rear. I like the seats but little else to be honest.

I totally agree with you here but it’s a numbers game; people just were/are not buying the normal (non-SUV) small cars with even less again buying the hot hatch versions. People now want to sit higher up and it seems are willing to pay a premium for that. Add to that the drop in interior material quality (mainly plastics) and the removal of items found on previous generations in the lower end models and you can see where VW are clawing back their money from dieselgate. All you need do is look at the price difference between a Polo and the equivalent T-Roc and compare those interior materials and with those on an equivalent mk7. They’re cutting corners/costs everywhere and unfortunately small hot hatches are not immune either.

The way I see it, those people who interested in compact hot hatches, will have no interest in suv cars. Same thing the other way around, but there is market for it. When I got my ibiza cupra, dealer said, that they sold lots of them. It was a very popular choice. The spec, price, performance was just perfectly balanced. It was so weird to see Seat axe it. They even discontinued ibiza FR 1.5tsi 150hp. Yes, they kept Arona 1.5tsi, but i have zero interest in ibiza on stilts. Even if it would be proper Arona cupra, I still would not be interested.

You are dead on with T-roc. When checking specs and a few reviews, I noticed how they cut corners. VW was always a bit up market to Seat and Skoda, but not its as plasticity as those brands, but with VW premium price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

Saw a mk8 out in the open today

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

User1998 wrote: »

Yeesh... Not for me anyway. And why would you voluntarily choose that colour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s just too expensive. Leon or Focus a far better value but

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That colour certainly doesn't complement it.

New Octavia RS announced:

Skoda%20Octavia%20vRS%20petrol%20and%20diesel%202020-3.jpg

Skoda%20Octavia%20vRS%20petrol%20and%20diesel%202020-2.jpg

Getting more expensive too with each new generation. Shame they carried over those alloy wheels from the previous model.

Similar design but not the same.

I actually like those wheels, I think they’re trademark of the VRS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Wow they don't even bother trying to hide the fake exhaust tips in the press photos anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The back of the RS looks a lot like the M235i GC. It doesn't look great in pictures but probably looks better in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Yeesh... Not for me anyway. And why would you voluntarily choose that colour!

To be different and stand out from the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I didn’t think they could possibly make the Octavia look any worse than the previous facelift model, but they have outdone themselves; truly awful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

bazz26 wrote: »
    New Octavia RS announced:

Skoda%20Octavia%20vRS%20petrol%20and%20diesel%202020-3.jpg

Skoda%20Octavia%20vRS%20petrol%20and%20diesel%202020-2.jpg

Getting more expensive too with each new generation. Shame they carried over those alloy wheels from the previous model.

Not exactly a looker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I don't know lads I think its a fine looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The new regular Octavia is certainly a big improvement over the old, style-wise imo.

OCTAVIA_003-2-1440x960.jpg

octavia_051.jpg?scale=down

1632742.jpg?w=1680&ssl=1

Yeah I’d be if the same opinion, think it’s a smashing looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

I think there’s a trend in VAG design lately where the curve of the leading edge of the bonnet as it drops down to the grille has become more bulbous. See the Golf, Octavia, A5.

I don’t know if it’s an aerodynamic thing, or maybe a pedestrian protection thing, but to my eyes, it makes the nose look a bit droopy, apologetic even. Compare the bonnet line in those cars to the Leon, which is much flatter all the way to the grille and looks much sharper and more aggressive. I know which I prefer the look of.

Maybe I'm just wearing beer goggles but I don't think that Octavia is a bad looking car at all. It's certainly the best looking generation of Octavia to date imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I think that octavia is very nice and a big improvement over the previous model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

The navy blue car looks good but the red vrs is awful, I think it’s the wheels. They would make any car look worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

maddness wrote: »
    The navy blue car looks good but the red vrs is awful, I think it’s the wheels. They would make any car look worse.

VRS wheels never looked good to me, apart from that the new model is good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Problem with the VRS is that the Octavia on a wider level is moving towards a Superb type style.

The sporty image a VRs is after - struggles with this. So you've got a VRS that looks like a "Sportline" version of the normal Octy.

The normal Octavia looks great now and the rear end of the estate looks great now.

Maybe the Estate is the direction the Vrs works best in now????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think that new VRS looks great too. Certainly a massive improvement on the current car with those awful split headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭theintern

User1998 wrote: »

Spotted one on the road while out walking in silver. I think it looks better than the base MK7 looked, but it's a bit too expensive for what it is.

That said, I think the GTI and R will look good in person.

Advertisement