Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd say this GTI TCR might become bit of a collector's item in a few years time:

I actually seen that yesterday and thought the same thing. There won’t ever be too many 201 original Irish TCR GTI’s going around. They seemed to sell a few 192 ones alright but still tiny numbers I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I read somewhere that the TCR is actually quicker than the R once they get going because of the lighter weight. Obviously from standstill it couldn't compete with the grip of the R. That's a lovely example above with the red in lights in contrast with the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd believe it, haven't raced and R but a long range Tesla 3 couldn't pull away from my Revo GTI from a rolling start. Once I got to 3rd he was in my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I'd believe it, haven't raced and R but a long range Tesla 3 couldn't pull away from my Revo GTI from a rolling start. Once I got to 3rd he was in my way.

I'm only down the road from you...:D

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I'm only down the road from you...:D

It'd make for an interesting piston cup, I'd say there's very little between them once there off the line. Don't worry I'm keeping an eye out for you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

I may have heard of someone who met a lad in the fast Tesla 3 in his Golf and it wasn't 1-0 for electricity

tossy wrote: »
    I may have heard of someone who met a lad in the fast Tesla 3 in his Golf and it wasn't 1-0 for electricity

You didn't take on a performance did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

You didn't take on a performance did you?

Just an in gear blast on the motorway one day all within legal speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

A 3 door maybe as they are finished, TCR in 3 door would be the very last real Gti imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Neilw wrote: »
    A 3 door maybe as they are finished, TCR in 3 door would be the very last real Gti imo.

They'd be rare too. There are only two 3-door TCRs for sale on AutoTrader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Agree, if I was getting one I’d much prefer a 3 foot hot hatch. Surprising that so many people who didn’t have kids or need the practicality paid an extra grand for the five door

Wonder if the new A3 will be three door?

Casati wrote: »
    Agree, if I was getting one I’d much prefer a 3 foot hot hatch. Surprising that so many people who didn’t have kids or need the practicality paid an extra grand for the five door

It may sound odd but I'd probably only go for a 3-door if it was something special like a Clubsport or TCR.

The new A3 is 5-door and saloon only I believe. I don't think there will be a convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Casati wrote: »

There are no more 3 door cars based on the mqb platform, sad but true.

VW seem to be going mad with R variants, the facelifted Tiguan will now be available in R form too:

New%20Volkswagen%20Tiguan%20facelift%202020-16.jpg

New%20Volkswagen%20Tiguan%20facelift%202020-17.jpg

New%20Volkswagen%20Tiguan%20facelift%202020-28.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

VW seem to be going mad with R variants, the facelifted Tiguan will now be available in R form too:

New%20Volkswagen%20Tiguan%20facelift%202020-16.jpg

New%20Volkswagen%20Tiguan%20facelift%202020-17.jpg

New%20Volkswagen%20Tiguan%20facelift%202020-28.jpg

Hardly any difference to the current model

Is it just me or does the DSG lever look a bit Skoda-esque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

pad199207 wrote: »
    Hardly any difference to the current model

Apart from the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Apart from the engine.

And the entire front and interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

The Tiguan was a smart looking thing and those tweaks have only improved it. It's suited to being an R model too because that line isn't about out and out sportiness, more effortless power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Those wheels look savage. I think the Tiguan looked ok without the R-Line kit on it but you'd want nicer wheels than the Highline ones as they're a bit small.

The R doesn't look bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

it looks class. but im going to assume its going to be ball park 70k if not more? given the troc r was 50+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

shanec1928 wrote: »
    it looks class. but im going to assume its going to be ball park 70k if not more? given the troc r was 50+

I'd imagine circa 62-63k. Arteon R is supposedly going to be close to 70k so it will need to come in a good bit under that.

The smaller and cheaper T-Roc R costs 60k here and even the Skoda Kodiaq vRS which is diesel, is around 60k here so your not going to have much change from 75k for a Tiguan R here I'd say - if they even bother to offer it here. Arteon R pricing is not really relevant to the Tiguan R pricing either as they are aimed at different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Cupra Ateca is 50k here if you really want a 300hp petrol AWD SUV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The engineers in the VW R&D Division must be having great fun designing all of the R cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This thing actually really annoys me. They are doing all these fast suvs, with stupid price tags, but completely ignoring Small hot hatch segment. Only overpriced polo GTI. No more Ibiza Cupra or Fabia vrs.

New Ibiza would have made fantastic hot hatch and at right price. I would be the first one in line to get one.

Mk8 Golf R breaking cover:

Volkswagen%20Golf%20R%20spyshots-2.jpg

Volkswagen%20Golf%20R%20spyshots-5.jpg

Volkswagen%20Golf%20R%20spyshots-9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Mk8 Golf R breaking cover:

Volkswagen%20Golf%20R%20spyshots-2.jpg

Volkswagen%20Golf%20R%20spyshots-5.jpg

Volkswagen%20Golf%20R%20spyshots-9.jpg

That looks fantastic, love the seats too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah that is seriously nice. Much better without those poxy foglights on the GTi.

Advertisement