Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

• 08-06-2020 9:12am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭

10 x 22kW AC Chargers at Decathlon Ballymun

Bunch of new chargers going into the Decathlon Store in Ballymun. Confirmed to be free to use for customers.

It's 10 of them, all 22kW AC and free to use. Should be available as soon as Decathlon opens.

Easy go supplied but you must call into the store to get a fob from staff to activate the chargers.

Mod Note: This post was combined from a few posters, and then broken out into a thread for discussion.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    It's 10 of them, all 22kW AC and free to use. Should be available as soon as Decathlon opens. Is that today? Ikea is right next door and nothing stopping you to charge at Decathlon if you're vistiting Ikea for a few hours :-)

IKEA deffo opened today, not too sure about Decathlon though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Gumbo wrote: »
    IKEA deffo opened today, not too sure about Decathlon though.

I saw a post on Facebook saying that Decathlon are opening soon, but looking at pictures of the queues at Ikea, will be giving the place a miss for a while...

..at least a year or 2, or whenever a vaccine is discovered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I saw a post on Facebook saying that Decathlon are opening soon, but looking at pictures of the queues at Ikea, will be giving the place a miss for a while...

..at least a year or 2, or whenever a vaccine is discovered.

Store is opening now, will be waiting till the excitement dies down..

9 chargers by the looks and as of right now, nobody using them. Think I read you have time go in side to get a fob to use, can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Store is opening now, will be waiting till the excitement dies down..

9 chargers by the looks and as of right now, nobody using them. Think I read you have time go in side to get a fob to use, can anyone confirm?

10 charge points at the front of the store.

You have to call in to the shop to get a fob to start charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Felexicon wrote: »
    10 charge points at the front of the store.

You have to call in to the shop to get a fob to start charging.
    They're all listed on the EasyGo app as free of charge. Can't see why/how you'd need to go into the store for a fob? Can't you just use your EasyGo fob or the app and charge away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

They're all listed on the EasyGo app as free of charge. Can't see why/how you'd need to go into the store for a fob? Can't you just use your EasyGo fob or the app and charge away?

No. They can only be started by the fobs provided in store

I would assume Decathlon don’t want folks just turning up to charge without at least visiting the store that had paid for their installation as well as the electricity that will run them.. otherwise they would just be a free for all for locals and Ikea customers.

I would t be surprised if you’d have to leave a few € deposit for a fob as well so as to ensure they are returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can't see why/how you'd need to go into the store for a

They are being provided free for customers, as opposed to free loaders

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Seems perfectly acceptable, along the lines of validated parking, purchases of say, €10+, free charging

What would be annoying though (most likely only in the short to medium term), would be having to queue up for 20 minutes just to get into the store to get a fob, only to start the charge, and then probably only need another 10-15 minutes actually in the store to buy what you need! (I'd assume you wouldn't need to queue back up again to get back in after leaving with a fob to start the charge).

Would be interested to hear from someone that's been and charged on how it all works..

• Advertisement

Mod Note: Sorry for any confusion caused, included a bit too much discussion when trying to merge posts. Mea culpa

• Moderators Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Why does this shop need charge points? Would one realistically spend 30+ minutes in there? Supermarkets barely make sense (a typical shop for me would be ~20 minutes). Being free, and not needing a fob is the only reason i'd use them. Covid adding to my shopping time also makes them somewhat worth it.

As mentioned, you need to get a fob from the shop to start charge. Most likely wouldn't bother with the hassle given the length of shop you'd have.

IKEA on the other hand, there's a place that both sides should benefit from having a bank of charge points.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Decathlon in Ballymun is a Sports Hub rather than just a store.
    The Ballymun store will be a “sports hub”, with more than 4,000sq m of retail space, a large external sports area, including a playground, fitness machines, a football pitch, rollerblading area, bike circuit and space for the store to partner with other sports providers to offer classes in yoga or zumba.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/decathlon-to-open-new-dublin-store-on-saturday-1.4273828?fbclid=IwAR2_I2U-xLqrBObqAS0fnZpHzL2RGh_PSIrWu7UaJgM4A9HkmTPpOaSxLuM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

have you ever been to decathlon before? its very easy to spend half an hour there at a minimum.

a lot of decathlon stores are normally like the above mentioned "hub"

Never been no. I googled it and briefly read "sports store". It did look rather big in the picture though.

Fair enough. That's pretty damn progressive of them so. Well done.

If your parked outside getting free kWh, you'd be inclined to spend longer in store, thus spending more...

Sound logic on the part of the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

Details and photos on the plugshare app. Someone used them last Saturday and checked in on plugshare app.

Apparently IKEA is planning chargers with the help of easygo but still ongoing and no actual work started.

I agree in terms of 30 minutes is not really much of a time to charge. IKEA in other counties have multiple 50+ kW chargers. At least with this many chargers you should get one free. I would prefer them where you can get a proper meal or the likes of a shopping centre with cinema. It really needs 1+ hour visit to be worth my while. IKEA meets that need if you are shopping for a new built house, but I typically spend less than an hour there (including cheap food with shopping).

The fob from customer service is because of freeloaders and IKEA is next door and has zero chargers.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Someone used them last Saturday and checked in on plugshare app.

checks plugshare, see's 3 check in's from user: zg3409

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭oinkely

You could spend hours in a decathlon store no problem if you are any way interested in sport! They are a firm favourite when we travel to france on the ferry.

I wouldn't begrudge Decathlon control of their chargers and how they implement access is entirely up to them. I'll be visiting in my leaf whenever it quietens down there, however i would not normally take the leaf as it is just on the limit of the range for the return journey, uncomfortably so! However, if I can get a charge while there I'll save the emissions and take the leaf.

Seriously looking forward to getting a walk around the shop.

If your parked outside getting free kWh, you'd be inclined to spend longer in store, thus spending more...

For grocery shopping i'm not gonna spend an extra half hour shopping to save 18cent. Fair enough if this place has activities etc you can busy yourself/kids with, you might get parents hanging on a bit longer "offsetting" their charging against a coffee. :rolleyes:
    IKEA would be another one - I've driven a long way, I need charge, I shall wander for 2-3 hours.

I'd question how busy some of the supervalu slow chargers that ESB put in will be once fees come in.

• Advertisement

This is it. It’s a relative small cost for the retailer to give you some power. You spend with them. And in tour mind you’ll say to yourself the next time, instead of hitting Charlestown I’ll go to Decathlon as they have chargers.

Plus, maybe, their electric costs can be offset against returns etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

KxayjLl.jpg

Decathlon diesel van & a UK reg PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Call me lazy as fúck but I just wouldn't be arsed going in and asking for a fob and then going back out to the car once I'm there. It's not like you'll be there all day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Depends on the car, Leaf with 3.3 charger then not worth it, Zoe or Dual Charge Tesla then worth it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Even an 11kW charging car would still give you about 100km of range for free in the 90mins you are there doing a sporting activity.

Call me lazy as fúck but I just wouldn't be arsed going in and asking for a fob and then going back out to the car once I'm there. It's not like you'll be there all day.

Kinda agree.
    If I was to be in there for an hour, I’d get 22 kWh which would be good for about 100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Get the fob, start the charge, go to Ikea next door, do your shop there and have something to eat, come back to a car that has just taken in 60-70kWh :D

In Decathlon now.
    Pulled up and sparked in EV bay.

Member of staff came over and swiped the fob to start the charge.

Proceeded to que up.
    Took 8 mins to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Gumbo wrote: »
    In Decathlon now.
    Pulled up and sparked in EV bay.

Member of staff came over and swiped the fob to start the charge.

I presume you got lucky with that?
    Normal procedure would be to go into the shop to get them to come out with the fob? Bit of a pain if thats how its going to work.

• Advertisement

It'd be great if they did come out to you with the fob (particularly while there's queues to get in).

Seems to have made sense putting the EV parking lot right outside the store in full view of staff.

Advertisement