Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

• 01-05-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Can I kick off with Dyson?

A huge launch and massive marketing drive for Dyson products but I've always been underwhelmed by how they actually perform. Maybe the fuss generated is something to do with it being the first UK designed product to make a big splash in many the year but, for me, they are the Apple of products from a marketing perspective but an Acer in terms of performance.

When I finally kicked my under-performing Dyson to the kerb and replaced in with a big ugly Meile, I nearly cried in gratitude when I heard the motor rumble to life and watched as my carpet was sucked to within an inch of it's life.

So, what brands do you think are overrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Lacoste
    I still have some polo shirts I bought back in the 80's. Their colors are saturated, the fabric still perfect.
    However, the new ones? From mid 90's and later?
    Worse than some Chinese copies you buy for 5 euros. However, the prices are still high.

Nautica
    Similar case, but they were never of good quality, although they are at the same price range of Lacoste

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wizard! wrote: »
    Lacoste
    I still have some polo shirts I bought back in the 80's. Their colors are saturated, the fabric still perfect.
    However, the new ones? From mid 90's and later?
    Worse than some Chinese copies you buy for 5 euros. However, the prices are still high.

Nautica
    Similar case, but they were never of good quality, although they are at the same price range of Lacoste

Agree about lacoste

Black and decker

Total sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A huge launch and massive marketing drive for Dyson products but I've always been underwhelmed by how they actually perform. Maybe the fuss generatedis something to do with it being the first UK designed product to make a big splash in many the year but, for me, they are the Apple of products from a marketing perspective but an Acer in terms of performance.

When I finally kicked my under-performing Dyson to the kerb and replaced in with a big ugly Meile, I nearly cried in gratitude when I heard the motor rumble to life and watched as my carpet was sucked within an inch of it's life.

Ya, Dysons are shít. Get yourself a Miele, Nilfisk or Henry.

Nespresso coffee isn’t up to much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lacoste seem to have really crap sizing... too short and too wide. The FCUK polos are miles better in terms of sizing and quality and the color and overall quality.

Another brand overrated....

Firetrap, literally everything I’ve had either shrinks or falls apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Everything and anything related to Apple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Nespresso coffee isn’t up to much is it?

Agreed, all the capsules have the same weird taste to them.

Aeropress and some freshly ground coffee doesn't take much more time to make, far better quick option if you don't want to fork out for an espresso machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Cadburys chocolate, it's gone to ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

A huge launch and massive marketing drive for Dyson products but I've always been underwhelmed by how they actually perform. Maybe the fuss generated is something to do with it being the first UK designed product to make a big splash in many the year but, for me, they are the Apple of products from a marketing perspective but an Acer in terms of performance.

When I finally kicked my under-performing Dyson to the kerb and replaced in with a big ugly Meile, I nearly cried in gratitude when I heard the motor rumble to life and watched as my carpet was sucked to within an inch of it's life.

Yep i would agree 100% with Dyson, bought one new, heap of crap whilst VAX machines we had previously were great.

Ill add in BMW, bought a 4 year old 3 series a few years ago, heap of dirt, never had as many things go wrong with a car in my life, rattly and not even a nice car to drive. Lovely looking cars with a name but wouldnt think of buying one again (maybe i was just unlucky with that one car)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiss1037

Beats , pure marketing, loads of articles about where the cost of the product sits, 70% of total production cost is in marketing

Also , just threw the Dyson out he back today , has been replaced by a Miele , never again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

+1 on Nespresso; we switched to a bean-to-cup machine and the coffee is way better, even with cheap beans. Also cheaper and less plastic waste.

Dolmio - their sauces are muck, much better available from Lidl and Aldi.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Everything and anything related to Apple.

I really love the iPad but any other apple product that I’ve had I wasn’t a fan of. Had for a while an iPhone for work about 10 years ago and it was a laggy, bland piece of crap even allowing for it being 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Kiss1037 wrote: »
    Beats , pure marketing, loads of articles about where the cost of the product sits, 70% of total production cost is in marketing

Also , just threw the Dyson out he back today , has been replaced by a Miele , never again

Agreed re Beats, they're all bottom end. As Lemmy said "it's like listening to music through a f***ing pillow"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

+1 for Nespresso. Our machine is basically a kitchen worktop ornament. Mmmm Luke warm bland coffee. Lidl instant is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Kiss1037 wrote: »
    I have a Miele washing machine. Excellent. Built like a tank.
    Had a poor experience with a new Toyota car.
    Bought a Sinn watch online. Useless, spent all its life in a drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

loyatemu wrote: »

The funny part is Lidl sell Dolmio beside the cheaper sauces. No one ends up buying the Dolmio and they have to end up putting them on offer. :confused:

Any brand name headphones or earphones have to be the biggest waste.
    Oh ripped Jeans there is another one that makes no sense. They cost more because they have to be distressed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,346 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah actually, Toyota. Advenis was pure shyte.
    +1 on Dyson.
    Really any of the so-called premium brands are over rated.
    All mod-cons now are built to last X years and give up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

cj maxx wrote: »
    Yeah actually, Toyota. Advenis was pure shyte.
    +1 on Dyson.
    Really any of the so-called premium brands are over rated.
    All mod-cons now are built to last X years and give up
    How did you know it was an Avensis? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Any brand name headphones or earphones have to be the biggest waste.

Have to politely disagree. I got a pair of Sennheiser headphones a few years ago for about $25 CAD or about 16 Euro. Still have them and carry them everywhere in my bag. Great for flights too.

My contribution is Nike and most other 'big name' running shoes. $200 for a pair of sneakers? Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Pleaase do. A triumph of hype over functionality and reliability. We replaced ours with a Miele that would suck the wool out of the carpet. Brilliant.

Never tried Nespresso, but we got one of the Lavazza machines (made by AEG) and we love it.

Apple, yes good but overpriced, and iTunes is one of the worst pieces of sh1tware I've ever had to use. I dumped my iPhone for Android years ago and never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

loyatemu wrote: »
    +1 on Nespresso; we switched to a bean-to-cup machine and the coffee is way better, even with cheap beans. Also cheaper and less plastic waste.

Dolmio is about as Italian as my big toe. Neighbour had an Italian aupair a few yrs back and she said she never heard or saw Dolmio sauces back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

iamstop wrote: »
    Have to politely disagree. I got a pair of Sennheiser headphones a few years ago for about $25 CAD or about 16 Euro. Still have them and carry them everywhere in my bag. Great for flights too.

My contribution is Nike and most other 'big name' running shoes. $200 for a pair of sneakers? Eh, no.

Sorry I should have clarified those similar headphones could have be been purchased online from china for a much lower price.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

BMW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Strumms wrote: »
    I really love the iPad but any other apple product that I’ve had I wasn’t a fan of. Had for a while an iPhone for work about 10 years ago and it was a laggy, bland piece of crap even allowing for it being 2010.

Whatever phone Apple produced in 2010 was way ahead of the competition at the time. I mean my personal iPhone 7 beats the crap out of most Android phones, and I get to use a lot of phones at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Toyota Land Cruiser, a totally over rated jeep.

Mazda cars, their absolutely brutal. Constant engine poblems with them

John Deere, they used to be value for money now their way over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Strumms wrote: »
    Had for a while an iPhone for work about 10 years ago and it was a laggy, bland piece of crap even allowing for it being 2010.

In 2010 were you comparing it against other phones on the market for 2010?

Toyota Land Cruiser, a totally over rated jeep.

Mazda cars, their absolutely brutal. Constant engine poblems with them

John Deere, they used to be value for money now their way over priced.

You're dead wrong about the landcruiser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

BMW, Mercedes and Audi basically all the German "premium" car range. All style over substance, unreliable, horrendously hard to work on and mortgage level repair bill when something goes wrong.
    Even standard German makes are overrated as well - Opel (pure muck) and VW (about the best of a bad lot granted)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Levis jeans, gone to sh1t. Haven't bought any in years since the last 2 pairs didn't last p*ssing time.
    Disingenious "Irish" brand names like Siuicra, pretending to wave the green flag when sugar hasn't been made here in decades.

• Advertisement

iamstop wrote: »

Sennheiser are quality, seriously good but seriously pricy unfortunately. A pair of in ear Bluetooth headphones that were 168 euro reduced to 107.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/sennheiser-momentum-free-wireless-headphone-black.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwka_1BRCPARIsAMlUmEo15vYMH1r-yLiq80WYTe7QAROkWO2jUnXQ_pbQRyQQHE2YEZjzOcIaAnnaEALw_wcB

And more...wireless...

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/headphones/all-headphones/headphones-ireland/sennheiser-momentum-2.0-wireless-headphones-black.html

Advertisement