Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi mesh systems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

ratracer wrote:
    I would suggest that if there is an issue with yours, you should initiate a repair/ refund ASAP, if you leave if too long, you will be left with a whole pile of useless tech.

Agh crap, bought in the UK last yr from BOX, great price but not sure how that will work with brexit & shipping. Will try the AP mode suggested and check out that thread

RangeR wrote:
    Double Natting is not bad, once you know it's there and build rules around it. It just complicates things.

Im not that strong on IT, i can follow instructions but managing rules is out of my knowledge.
    I'll see how AP goes.
    Pity i can't find how to set the virgin hub3 into bridge. Think thst is best as it leaves the q2 features. But is there other settings that can be switched that gives the same rest as bridging a router

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Daveq wrote: »
    I have the same system with a Virgin Media Hub 3.0. WiFi disabled on VM Hub, no fixed IPs
    All settings on TT as default. UPNP enabled etc..
    I have the IOT 2.4 disabled and just connected my IOT devices to the standard 2.4ghz band that it uses. It should provide two 5ghz bands and a 2.4ghz on the same SSID.
    And I have 5ghz on 80m instead of Auto.
    I have a NAS drive connected via ethernet to the VM Hub instead of the TT router and can still access it using its IP so I think that means VM Hub is providing IP addresses.

In the app click on the globe on the home page. See what IP address for the gateway is. Mine is showing as 192.168.0.1 which is my VM Hub.

Thanks Daveq, that's very helpful.

When I click on the globe the IP address is the Virgin static IP address and the gateway address is one less ie the same as the IP address but the last digit is one lower than the IP address which I don't think is one of the static IP addresses I have from Virgin.

Might call Virgin tomorrow and figure out how to access their router/modem so I understand and can fully control the setup.

So far very happy with the TT, everything is working well and the admin app is very easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gerry T wrote: »
    Im not that strong on IT, i can follow instructions but managing rules is out of my knowledge.
    I'll see how AP goes.
    Pity i can't find how to set the virgin hub3 into bridge. Think thst is best as it leaves the q2 features. But is there other settings that can be switched that gives the same rest as bridging a router

Seems pretty easy called modem mode in the settings

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode#hub3orhub4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Cyrus wrote: »

That's the UK website. Unfortunately not as easy for Irish customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

That's the UK website. Unfortunately not as easy for Irish customers.

I have a VM hub 3 and it is just that easy. Log in with 192.168.0.1, access menu and change to modem mode. Access IP changes on reboot to 192.168.100.1. You can now use your own router.

Cyrus wrote:

I tried connecting with both my ph and laptop and that option is not on the menu !
    I've gone through all the menu options and didnt see any modem mode or bridge mode option.

Damien360 wrote:
    I have a VM hub 3 and it is just that easy. Log in with 192.168.0.1, access menu and change to modem mode. Access IP changes on reboot to 192.168.100.1. You can now use your own router.

When i log on the menu has
    Home
    Connected devices
    Advanced settings
    Admin

Connected devices just shows whats plugged into esch port
    Admin allows password change, reboot, remote access and info
    Advanced has more menues
    Wireless
    Security
    DHCP
    UPhP
    Tools
    Cant see in any of them the modem or bridge option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Home
    Connected devices
    Advanced settings
    Admin

Advanced has more menues
    Wireless
    Security
    DHCP
    UPhP
    Tools

I'm guessing 'wireless'... Why don't you click on the menu options to find out what they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cyrus wrote: »

This is all I did to my Hub. It was was clear as day in the menu. Maybe VM have hidden it now?

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    Might call Virgin tomorrow and figure out how to access their router/modem so I understand and can fully control the setup.

Open a command prompt by tapping the Windows key once [Windows 10 assumed] and type CMD then press enter.

You should see a black window with white text.

Type ipconfig then press enter again.

You will see rows of text and numbers. You are looking for Default Gateway. That's the IP address of your VM router. Just type that number [usually 192.168.0.1] into your browser to login. login detail on the router sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Home
    Connected devices
    Advanced settings
    Admin

Advanced has more menues
    Wireless
    Security
    DHCP
    UPhP
    Tools

By default Virgin usually have customers on a hybrid IP4/IP6 system DS-Lite. You need to ring them and ask them to switch you to IP4, modem mode should be available once they do that (may need a reboot).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Are we yet beyond the "IPv6 crap, IPv4 good" nonsense?

I'm running my home automation services exclusively over IPv6, which allows Google Assistant cloud to reach the servers without any trickery.

Bluefoam wrote:
    I'm guessing 'wireless'... Why don't you click on the menu options to find out what they are?

I have.

dam099 wrote:
    By default Virgin usually have customers on a hybrid IP4/IP6 system DS-Lite. You need to ring them and ask them to switch you to IP4, modem mode should be available once they do that (may need a reboot).

Thanks, I'll give them a call today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

grogi wrote: »
    Are we yet beyond the "IPv6 crap, IPv4 good" nonsense?

I'm running my home automation services exclusively over IPv6, which allows Google Assistant cloud to reach the servers without any trickery.

Seems not, since some of the ISP's still don't support fully.

For Virgin if you want to use Modem mode then they seem to only allow it over IP4.

I'm on Vodafone now and they are only giving out an IP4 address on my router.

RangeR wrote: »
    Open a command prompt by tapping the Windows key once [Windows 10 assumed] and type CMD then press enter.

You should see a black window with white text.

Type ipconfig then press enter again.

You will see rows of text and numbers. You are looking for Default Gateway. That's the IP address of your VM router. Just type that number [usually 192.168.0.1] into your browser to login. login detail on the router sticker.

Thanks RangeR,

Tried that but no joy I'm afraid. No matter which of the 192.168..... IP addresses I type into Chrome all I get is "This site can’t be reached" messages.

4albVkf.jpg

On a bit of a whim I entered the 89.101.xxx.xx Gateway address the TT app shows in the "Globe" system status and I think it's the address of the Virgin modem as this is what I get. Now if only I knew the login and password :confused:

hBiaD0f.jpg

On a bit of a whim I entered the 89.101.xxx.xx Gateway address the TT app shows in the "Globe" system status and I think it's the address of the Virgin modem as this is what I get. Now if only I knew the login and password :confused:

hBiaD0f.jpg

Try the login information provided for the wifi

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Try the login information provided for the wifi

The TT router admin app doesn't use a password, instead it uses a form of 2 factor authentication. You enter your email address as the username and then hit a "send code" button which emails a 6 digit code that you have 5 minutes to enter in the app to gain access.

I tried entering the code into the Chrome login/password option but no joy.

• Advertisement

The TT router admin app doesn't use a password, instead it uses a form of 2 factor authentication. You enter your email address as the username and then hit a "send code" button which emails a 6 digit code that you have 5 minutes to enter in the app to gain access.

Have you tried not putting in any information and clicking to log in? Just a stab in the dark.

A bit off topic but not sure I like that. What happens if you have no internet to send the email?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Have you tried not putting in any information and clicking to log in? Just a stab in the dark.

:eek: Worked a treat. I skipped straight past that option this morning thinking it couldn't possibly be left wide open and tried admin / admin etc etc but yep it's wide open!!!

Thanks.

Now to figure out how it's set up etc.

1EBT2qR.jpg

One step at a time starting with creating a username and password!!

RangeR wrote: »
    A bit off topic but not sure I like that. What happens if you have no internet to send the email?

Yeah, I thought the same thing. The app is phone based and you remain logged in indefinitely so I guess it's low risk unless someone gets hold of your phone and has the unlock code/pattern and/or you are unable to access email on the phone for some reason.

It doesn't sound like a great / comprehensive solution but I do use Google Authenticator for other apps so it seems the assumption increasingly is if you're accessing an app / online facility you must have internet access and by extension (for TT anyway) email access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

dam099 wrote: »

I forgot that. I have it in IPV4 only mode as I asked for it. I use a VPN for work from home and it’s not IPV6 compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

I have the tplink deco m4, running in ap mode connected to my router hub. Having constant problems with the WiFi mesh having no Internet access, while the vf gigabox WiFi signal shows I have Internet.

I've reset these twice, getting hassle from family to fix. Before turning my chips in with amazon any suggestion for troubleshooting?

Thanks W.

Should these units be given static ip addresses from the router DHCP server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I have the tplink deco m4, running in ap mode connected to my router hub. Having constant problems with the WiFi mesh having no Internet access, while the vf gigabox WiFi signal shows I have Internet.

I've reset these twice, getting hassle from family to fix. Before turning my chips in with amazon any suggestion for troubleshooting?

Thanks W.

You should disable WiFi on the Vodafone gigabox!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

You should disable WiFi on the Vodafone gigabox!
    Why it's a different ssid and subnet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Why it's a different ssid and subnet?

Because it can cause interference, there are limited channels available. You are just creating noise!
    If you need a second SSID create a virtual ap on the mesh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dumb question, have had google WiFi for a couple of years. The original VM signal still comes up as an avaliable network (in addition to the Google WiFi network and that's what we have each device use).

Is that right or should thd original VM one be dead, sometimes devices can flick to the VM signal and we have to manually switch it back to the Google WiFi signal.

Advertisement