Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm car-less due simply to unfortunate timing, and I was pondering that same or similar question yesterday; how many dealers - particularly in the used car market - will be taking the opportunity to try this out when they get the inevitable call:

"I see car X on your listings on Carzone at price Y. I'd be willing to pay Z to purchase it unseen, providing you can deliver it direct to me, with a new service stamp in the book and a renewed NCT."

I think it's a niche that will rapidly emerge and could potentially stick afterwards when people get their heads around it.
    Maybe direct deliveries of new cars or nearly new from franchised dealers but anything else is nuts.
    A service stamp and an nct is no guarantee of a car not being a disaster zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's all nice and good buying car, but where would you go? Local overcrowded Tesco to get it scratched and rammed by trolleys.

I'll wait.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

See a few demos sitting in garages now for a chunk of weeks, now a good time to bargain the prices?
    Been tracking 2-3 and the prices in the last 6 weeks have not changed which isn't much of a surprise.

At what stage does a dealer start to get itchy feet to shift cars, piece of string question I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

yop wrote: »
    See a few demos sitting in garages now for a chunk of weeks, now a good time to bargain the prices?
    Been tracking 2-3 and the prices in the last 6 weeks have not changed which isn't much of a surprise.

At what stage does a dealer start to get itchy feet to shift cars, piece of string question I know!
    Wonder what kind of discount should one expect if this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Have been planning to switch from manual to an automatic car since last 2 months. Spoke to a dealer couple of weeks ago who has got a 181 Fiesta. He offered quite a bit less (over 2k) for my car and seems not interested in selling fiesta as he has never followed up.

Read UK news report that used car prices might increase due to Halt in manufacturing of new cars but not sure people would like to pay more for used car considering job losses, pay cuts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

SummerK wrote: »
    Have been planning to switch from manual to an automatic car since last 2 months. Spoke to a dealer couple of weeks ago who has got a 181 Fiesta. He offered quite a bit less (over 2k) for my car and seems not interested in selling fiesta as he has never followed up.

Read UK news report that used car prices might increase due to Halt in manufacturing of new cars but not sure people would like to pay more for used car considering job losses, pay cuts etc.

Seems like its a catch 21 situation at the moment but eventually someone is going to have to give. I would say dealerships will hold out as long as they can but they will have to shift what they have eventually and maybe at a loss too as there will be less people to buy the cars and they might not be as willing to spend as much as they were before all this.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

there will be some sort of scrappage scheme don't you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Scrappage schemes will make feck all difference to people not buying who are uncertain of their employment prospects as a result of a downturn in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks i have a new car ordered, it wasnt a custom build rather one that was in the country available for the dealer to secure (as seems to happen a lot nowadays)

Whenever this lockdown is over itll be available to collect.

What do you think the likelihood is of me being able to renegotiate the deal i did with them 4 weeks ago? The trade in on my own car accounts for circa 45% of the value of the new one, so im guessing my car is going to be worth less as well so i am not in the same position as if it was a straight sale.

I cannot see you negotiating a better deal to be honest especially if the deal is already done. As you said they can apply the same logic to your trade-in's value which might end up costing them money for what they already gave you before the world went to **** versus what they will have to price it at now for resale. I know nothing ventured nothing gained and all that but I think if the you might actually be doing well at the original agreed price when you have a trade in, just my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its interesting times, as anyone selling now must be having hard time in general, nct mess, not sure how insruance will be impacted or even taxes going ahead if this drags any longer, could be plenty of people who will think hard before splitting with their money, then crap as 202 is is just couple months away will put larger strain on any new sales, might be great opportunities but at the same time with all the uncertainty many might hold off for a good while, as at the end of the day buying new or forking over 10k isnt best investment as cars go in Ireland, with rapid depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

bazz26 wrote: »
    Scrappage schemes will make feck all difference to people not buying who are uncertain of their employment prospects as a result of a downturn in the economy.

no but that doesn't mean one won't be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Cyrus wrote: »
    Folks i have a new car ordered, it wasnt a custom build rather one that was in the country available for the dealer to secure (as seems to happen a lot nowadays)

Whenever this lockdown is over itll be available to collect.

What do you think the likelihood is of me being able to renegotiate the deal i did with them 4 weeks ago? The trade in on my own car accounts for circa 45% of the value of the new one, so im guessing my car is going to be worth less as well so i am not in the same position as if it was a straight sale.

Here’s my 2 cent.

Dealer does a deal with you and your trade in. Knows that by the time your new car lands they will have sold X amount of their current stock, freeing up cash flow, and getting your car into stock to resell.

Reality of the situation, the cars he wanted to sell are all still there because they’ve closed, business has ran dry for 2-4 weeks and now manufacturers have thrown car targets out the window for 2020 as the best part of the year to sell new and used cars is gone.

So, you asking for a better deal could end up in you actually asking for the original deal to be honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

SummerK wrote: »

Correction. Cars on dealers lot will increase in value, yours and mine trade in will magically lose even more value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Do you think car makers/ importers will offer incentives or sweeteners to shift stock once this current crisis starts to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

L-M wrote: »
    Here’s my 2 cent.

Dealer does a deal with you and your trade in. Knows that by the time your new car lands they will have sold X amount of their current stock, freeing up cash flow, and getting your car into stock to resell.

Reality of the situation, the cars he wanted to sell are all still there because they’ve closed, business has ran dry for 2-4 weeks and now manufacturers have thrown car targets out the window for 2020 as the best part of the year to sell new and used cars is gone.

So, you asking for a better deal could end up in you actually asking for the original deal to be honoured.

potentially, there is sense in that logic.

i suppose it comes down to whether the manufacturers will be pushing larger discounts later in the year.

It's all about timing I'd say.
    There are some very knowledgeable posters on here; any estimate on when prices on new cars in dealerships may change?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new car, but I'm having second thoughts due to the current situation...

Paying a deposit seems risky. Disregarding the buyer's situation, dealer can still go out of business by the time the deal competes. ...or there will be tons of 0% loan offers, discounts, etc... once this all blows over.

..but it can also go the other way: There could be a severe shortage of new cars in the country in the mid-term.

What do you guys think is the best approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pay the deposit with a debit or credit card, dealer goes bust you get the money back.

Very hard to know if wholesale price dealers get the cars for will rise or fall, I've seen lots of stories in the media of shortages of parts in the supply chain, then stories of complete collapse of car sales. Could be a shortage of built cars with factories building cars shut down, could be a glut of unsolds cars with no dealers currently open to sell them.

My guess is in the short term prices at the forecourt will be as they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

All bets are off re trade ins.
    Straight sales are where bargains will be had.

• Advertisement

Manufacturers are already stretched beyond belief trying to compete with the current and future emissions regulations that are coming through for ICE cars.

All I’ve seen is cars becoming more and more expensive, margins being squeezed at every angle. In my naivety, I’m going to say I don’t think it’s greed on the manufacturers part.

I would be very, very surprised if there’s any reduction at all in pricing, in fact, I can still see them increasing.

It’s all relative really unless you’re buying straight. (And even at that you probably sold your used car privately to buy straight. Rare is it someone is entering the new car market being a first time buyer)

The more expensive the new car cars, typically the more expensive used cars get, so it’s all really just a numbers game.

If new cars drop, used will drop. It’s just not going to happen. The manufacturers won’t want it, the government won’t want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pay the deposit with a debit or credit card, dealer goes bust you get the money back.
    I don't think you are protected if you pay a deposit with a debit card.

Not your ornery onager

Debit cards don't have any protection in that matter as it's your own money you are authorizing payment on, the only protection you would have is that the bank won't authorize payment if there are no funds in the account to cover it or if the transaction was proven to be fraudulent. Credit cards have more protection as it's the issuing bank who is protecting itself more than actually you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm assuming most if not all dealers aren't actually selling new cars currently.

I'm assuming most if not all dealers aren't actually selling new cars currently.
    And with the probable extension of the current lock-down, I cannot imagine any new cars being sold in the next month .... at the very least.
    So we could be talking late May or early June when they may open again, and what happens with the 202 deliveries then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

The last thing on people's minds I know. Just wondering on your thoughts. Lots of people on reduced incomes, tourist season a bust, mini recession. Lot's of people not needing their cars. This 2 week + lock down. Are dealers open/closed ATM??
    Versus : used imports from UK have stopped ?? I'd imagine??
    Some sort of pent up demand in 3 months time?
    Nct out older cars being flogged cheap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

L-M wrote: »
    Manufacturers are already stretched beyond belief trying to compete with the current and future emissions regulations that are coming through for ICE cars.

All I’ve seen is cars becoming more and more expensive, margins being squeezed at every angle. In my naivety, I’m going to say I don’t think it’s greed on the manufacturers part.

I would be very, very surprised if there’s any reduction at all in pricing, in fact, I can still see them increasing.

It’s all relative really unless you’re buying straight. (And even at that you probably sold your used car privately to buy straight. Rare is it someone is entering the new car market being a first time buyer)

The more expensive the new car cars, typically the more expensive used cars get, so it’s all really just a numbers game.

If new cars drop, used will drop. It’s just not going to happen. The manufacturers won’t want it, the government won’t want it.

I'd be pretty happy with 0% APR becoming standard. It's not just a price reduction that could help buyers.
    Even much better scrappage deals could do wonders.

xboxdad wrote: »
    I'd be pretty happy with 0% APR becoming standard. It's not just a price reduction that could help buyers.
    Even much better scrappage deals could do wonders.

Scrappage is a grand “offer” in theory.

But who is going to have the money to come from a banger up to a new car? Very few.

Also generally if you avail of scrappage you won’t get 0 percent.

Same like lots of Manufacturers offer 0 percent or 3 years servicing or scrappage.

0 percent will never be standard. A lot of franchises can’t afford to offer it because they’re getting the money off a bank. So if you’re getting 0 percent on a car manufacture that doesn’t have their own bank, you’re paying more for the car to get the 0 percent.

There is already a big thread discussing this >>> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058061829

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Esel wrote: »
    I don't think you are protected if you pay a deposit with a debit card.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Debit cards don't have any protection in that matter as it's your own money you are authorizing payment on, the only protection you would have is that the bank won't authorize payment if there are no funds in the account to cover it or if the transaction was proven to be fraudulent. Credit cards have more protection as it's the issuing bank who is protecting itself more than actually you.

Yes your own money will be used for the debit card but you can do a chargeback and receive the funds back as goods won't have been supplied. Credit card better option as it will be the banks money.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

Advertisement