Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Email from Odeon Cinemas this morning, they are closing up shop until further notice. If you have a Limitless membership, it won't be collected until they reopen. If it was just taken recently they will refund via the same method (into the bank).

It's a shame, there were a couple of movies out or on the way I'd like to see but necessary action. I haven't gone in about 2 weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Daughter works for Cineworld in the UK. She was made unemployed this morning has they have closed shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Daughter works for Cineworld in the UK. She was made unemployed this morning has they have closed shop.

Sorry to hear that. I hope her job will be there for her when all this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AMKC wrote: »
    Actually you are wrong about that. If someone else who has the virus on there hands has touched that chair or even a door on the way in and the next person in touches that then they could get the virus on there hands and then when they put there hands to there face they will have it. The virus can stay on services from two to three days. Maybe on clothe services and fake leather it might not survive long but some cinema's have chairs wit wood or chrome in them and it could survive there and on the doors into the cinema.

Yes i know all that but then the virus is simply on the gloves, no different to being on your hand, so you'd have to avoid touching your face with the gloves which you're supposed to do with your hands anyway.

No benefit to gloves unless you change them after contact with every object.

Good hand washing is more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wish people would stop spreading misinformation. The virus is spread by droplets passing from a person who has it into another person's mucus membranes. This can happen if an infected person sneezes or coughs around you or if you touch a surface or object they have sneezed or coughed over then rub your eyes or nose or put your fingers in your mouth.

The virus can last for a couple of days on some surfaces hence the need for thorough and regular hand washing. Any time you go to the supermarket for instance you're handling baskets and trollies that numerous other people have touched, products that have been handled and coughed over, keyed your debit card number into a machine used by loads of people etc etc etc

Same when you use an atm machine, a petrol pump, push the door of a shop open and so on.

Just keep washing your hands.

So I didn't sure misinformation as you described gloves do not really offer any extra protection. Certainly not if sitting in a cinema for two hours and probably putting popcorn in their mouth with the same infected gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

So Cineworld is shutting up shop. What is happening in terms of unlimited payments not really understanding their email.

"We are getting in touch to let you know that we will be closing Cineworld Dublin from today (Tuesday, 17 March 2020) until further notice.

This decision was made in light of the current coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and recent UK government advice, which the company has been carefully monitoring and following. As a loyal Unlimited customer, we wanted to update you on our operations and the impact this will have on your Unlimited subscription.

We are temporarily suspending activities at our cinemas, however, your membership will continue in line with the Unlimited membership terms (please see clause 15.2 which explains what can happen in circumstances beyond Cineworld's reasonable control). However, we'd like to reassure you that you will not lose the value of the fees charged for your Unlimited subscription.

If you are paying for your subscription monthly, your next monthly payment will be charged as normal but you will receive the credit of this payment once our cinemas reopen. If we need to keep the cinemas closed for longer than one month, your subscription period will be extended accordingly and any monthly payments will be suspended until our cinemas reopen.

Alternatively, if you have paid for your membership annually up front, your membership will be extended by the period of closure (with no further charge) and you will be able to continue enjoying your membership for that extended period once our cinemas are open again.

When we re-open our cinemas, we'll also be pleased to offer each of our Unlimited members one free ticket to a standard 2D performance so you can treat one of your friends to a Cineworld visit.

We thank you for your passion in cinema and for your ongoing support that helps make Cineworld The Best Place To Watch A Movie. We look forward to welcoming you back as soon as possible to enjoy a full slate of film releases.

If you have any questions, please take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions here.

We are keeping the situation under review and will keep you posted with updates through this difficult time. Updates on the status of our cinemas will be available via the Cineworld mobile app and online at cineworld.com.

We sincerely wish good health for you and your families during these uncertain times.

The Cineworld Team"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

santana75 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I hope her job will be there for her when all this is over.

Cheers, i hope so, as well their welfare system is nowhere has generous has ours.

She showed me the letter saying her management team will have more details so i've no idea. I would imagine so. It was her first proper job, shes only 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

All the Movies@ theatres are now closed due to COVID-19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I guess at this stage, the answer to the thread title must be "no"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Eye Cinema in Galway appears to still be open even though IMC have closed both, Omniplex closed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Drive In cinema @ Leopardstown Racecourse is open:

https://www.retrodrivein.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet that Drive-In is still adhering to social distancing, even with its customers in cars. Makes sense, no point taking risks but that's kinda funny all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Homelander wrote: »
    Eye Cinema in Galway appears to still be open even though IMC have closed both, Omniplex closed too.

No, the Eye Cinema is closed, see their FB post.
    The Palas in Galway is closed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I would imagine there'll be more closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Movie business is going to be upended for the next year I'd imagine, lots of movies will be released around the same time at the back end of the year so they wont do so well. Production on new movies will be delayed. Cinema capacity may drop and some chains go under.
    will some or more movies go straight or quick to pay per view? will movie budgets drop? (might not be a bad thing)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

From an American perspective, one of the main cinema chains, AMC, is in serious trouble:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-bankruptcy-appears-analyst-says-1289514

Something else, while not immediately connected with Covid, but could be part of the fallout: the approaching possibility of the Paramount Decree disappearing (ie, the law preventing Studios from owning cinema chains)

https://deadline.com/2019/11/justice-department-paramount-consent-decrees-2-1202793402/

The article dates back to November, so not entirely sure what the latest on it is - and there doesn't seem much news out there since then either.
    The Justice Department filed a motion Friday in a New York federal court to terminate the Paramount consent decrees, the 71-year-old rules that have restricted studio distributors’ control over exhibition.

If a judge approves the motion, it would clear the way for studios to once again take significant ownership of theater chains. But more importantly to exhibitors is the impact that it would have on a host of business practices that have been prohibited since the late 1940s.

Obviously it's not something that'll necessarily translate over here in the EU / Ireland, but it's still a potentially seismic shift in the relationship - and concept - of cinemas to studios.

El Duda wrote: »
    Me and some mates have tickets booked for a screening of Memories of Murder (2003) in London in a couple of weeks. It would take something special to stop me from going.

A classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just in time for Tenet (assuming it's planned release goes ahead, which it seems it won't).

What do you think? Will people risk it?

Update: The reopening of cinemas has been brought forward to June 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

People are already ignoring social distance guidelines... People will goto the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

I’m relaxed enough about things COVID in general now, but definitely wouldn’t be keen on sitting in a cinema for 2 hours. They were always filthy anyway, as I saw the few times I had to come back in after a movie to look for a dropped phone etc. My kids will want to go to the cinema but I’ll be trying to get them to hold off for as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

There's pretty much zero risk of dying from Covid if you're under 65 and without underlying health conditions.

You might as well ask should you cross the street tomorrow in case you get hit by a car. Yeah, there's a risk you will but you'll do it anyway.

Life is about risks.

Just in time for Tenet (assuming it's planned release goes ahead, which it seems it won't).

My first instinct is I won't. My wife is pregnant and was already in a somewhat risky category. In laws would be close to cocooning age, and it's not like cinemas have a thorough, rigourous workforce. They're run by feckless teens.

Nobody knows what this feared "second wave" might look like and there's no harm in playing it cautious until we know what shape the world takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

Last report i saw is that Tenet needs at least 80% of the worlds theaters to be open by its planned release date.So far it looks like 90% will be open.The fact that they released another trailer so close to release seems to indicate that they are confident in this film pulling people back to theaters.

If theaters follow social distancing protocols and guidelines ( Such as temp checks at doors,wipe downs of seats,masks,and spaced seating ) it can be done.In fact it might actually lead to a better theater experience as the auditorium will be less packed and less assholes on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

There's pretty much zero risk of dying from Covid if you're under 65 and without underlying health conditions.

You might as well ask should you cross the street tomorrow in case you get hit by a car. Yeah, there's a risk you will but you'll do it anyway.

Life is about risks.

It's not about the risk to you, it's about the risk to other more vulnerable people should you get it and pass it on. How on earth have you not figured that out yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the situation continues to improve - or even if there’s just a sort of steady, low number of new cases as is the case now - I’ll be down the cinema on July 20th without question. Obviously not in a sold out, packed screen as was once the case, but assuming some form of sensible social distancing is in place (and potentially with a mask) I’d have zero problems going to see something in a month’s time. I wouldn’t go near a cinema with any sort of symptoms, naturally.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m reasonably young and healthy, and wouldn’t for a second dismiss or shame people who may feel the risk is too great. But some kind of normal life will resume in the next few months, and cinema is a normal part of life for me, so unless there is a notable surge or what not I’ll be among the first in line. How many people will be in the same boat, I can’t say. I’ll say there’ll be a split between those who are eager to see some sort of normality resume, and those who want to be safer rather than sorry. I completely understand and respect both perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

If the situation continues to improve - or even if there’s just a sort of steady, low number of new cases as is the case now - I’ll be down the cinema on July 20th without question. Obviously not in a sold out, packed screen, but assuming some form of social distancing is in place (and potentially with a mask) I’d have zero problems going to see something in a monthly time.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m reasonably young and healthy, and wouldn’t for a second dismiss or shame people who may feel the risk is too great. But some kind of normal life will resume in the next few months, and cinema is a normal part of life for me, so unless there is a notable surge or what not I’ll be among the first in line.

Agreed.I think people are desperate to get back to some kind of normal life.Not saying its smart but in america,the beaches are packed again and restauraunts are open ( With Covid protocols in place ).

Im not one for eating watching movies at the cinema so id have no prob wearing a mask as long as i got to see Tenet in a giant theater that is half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,965 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Life is about risks.

Young healthy people have died too from it

I will see how we do with cases with phase restrictions lifted and maybe try showings near end with less crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Life is about risks.

Pretty much zero risk for you but if you become a carrier, you could infect those you come in contact with ....even if you don’t have any symptoms, you could infect your parents, grandparents, kids... anyone that you come in contact with.

Agreed.I think people are desperate to get back to some kind of normal life.Not saying its smart but in america,the beaches are packed again and restauraunts are open ( With Covid protocols in place ).

Im not one for eating watching movies at the cinema so id have no prob wearing a mask as long as i got to see Tenet in a giant theater that is half full.

America wouldn't a good example of safe reopening given its culture of individualism, and noted (armed!) resistance to the lockdown - including its president. If there is a second wave I'd put money on it happening there. Americans' love of "freedom" trumps sense at times.

My sticking point is I just wouldn't trust the hygiene protocols: is there any press releases about their plans? Cos my first question is: even if they reduce capacity, how can the cinema clean up the seats used in time between showings? Pre CoVid They could be pretty badly cleaned at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

If they're keeping every second or third seat can you still sit beside someone

Advertisement