Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The French Dispatch [Wes Anderson]

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Hollywood press like to try and crown folks as acting or directorial royalty before they earn the title; the subjects rarely get a say in the matter. I'll always remember the Newsweek cover that confidently declared M Night Shyamalan "The Next Spielberg". A headline that has aged like milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Having only seen the trailer, I thought of Spinal Tap:

"How much more Anderson could this be? None. None more Anderson"

I do like his stuff but he could shake it us just a wee bit. Give him a Marvel or DC movie (Just kidding)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Its only been a couple of days since I saw it but Im already finding that my view of this film is improving. Anderson's films have that "Grower" effect on me, he's the cinematic equivalent of Radiohead(and maybe the French Dispatch = Kid A)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught this yesterday and really liked it. It's very much Anderson in terms of general style and tone, but I think the mixture of a number if stories was more confidently balanced here than in say Grand Budapest Hotel (which I also really liked, but felt that the narrative structure got slightly wobbly towards the end).

I suspected that the middle story was a riff on French New Wave films, but having not seen any Godard I didn't get any specific references and found that particular story a little dry, though still with some excellent moments. That dryness was more than made up for by the spirited daftness of the art-world satire of the first story and the crime story that rounds out the film.

I think Isle of Dogs remains my favourite of his films, but this is a very enjoyable addition to his filmography and one I'll gladly watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Anderson continues to do very little wrong. What a wonderful film, meticulously made and synonymously whimsical, and probably my favourite of the year so far (of what I've seen).

• Advertisement

Yes tbh for all his "inventiveness" I do very much prefer the "Rushmore" and "The royal Tenenbaums" movies because they have more soul to them and as said by the poster above, the older character world-weary counterpoints did work very well.

There is something to be said for a more continuous narrative compared to what I found in this film to be a tenuously weak glue to bind a series of sketches together (felt more pronounced to me here even though obviously he has done this before).

"Whimsical" does not carry an entire film for me.

There is a fine line there at times that maybe crosses over to overindulgence and pointlessness.

I found the Student Protest story in this one to be frankly boring by the end and it felt about three times as long as the other ones.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

After a decent first segment I found the rest of it a bit incoherent and ultimately boring, the last one i had no desire ro finish.

Very disappointed as have loved Andersons work for a long time. Feel like he dropped the ball on this one. Overall concept i like but execution poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anderson's most disappointing work yet. Indulgences can be justified I think, when they have a point. Or want to say something of life, no matter how trite it might be. Wes Anderson movies aren't ever deep treatises on the human condition but they'll have some small nugget of wisdom within the whimsy and carefully chosen palettes. This was ... I dunno. Maybe I missed something within all the seemingly aimless ambling; or perhaps Anderson has hit a point where even his half expressed drafts get greenlit and a broad love of mid-20th century "France" was enough to get the wheels turning.

Of course it all looked beautiful, every frame a painting in the manner we know Anderson does. That kinda goes without saying and the Hergé style sequence (yes he was Belgian but shush, lol) was cool, alongside some neat little freeze frames, the actors gently wobbling as they try to stay still.

I can't grumble too much about ordering a frosted dessert and getting exactly what I asked for, but it almost felt formulaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is on Disney+ for anyone who missed it in the cinema.

It's very Wes Anderson..and it looks fantastic...I enjoyed the first two stories but it then went rather off the rails

Post edited by gmisk on

Advertisement