Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

More promising stuff for Roscommon. And kudos to the council for putting it on their Website and Facebook.

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Broadband-in-County-Roscommon/

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Pique wrote: »
    More promising stuff for Roscommon. And kudos to the council for putting it on their Website and Facebook.

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Broadband-in-County-Roscommon/
    Kudos is right. I'm in Wexford an we were due to start surveys after Cavan/Limerick I think but I've contacted Wexford Co Council and the broadband officer in the council for an update in the last 10 days and haven't heard a dickie bird back. No updates on NBI website or facebook either. My next port of call was going to to be the DCCAE to see if they know what's going on.

Kudos is right. I'm in Wexford an we were due to start surveys after Cavan/Limerick I think but I've contacted Wexford Co Council and the broadband officer in the council for an update in the last 10 days and haven't heard a dickie bird back. No updates on NBI website or facebook either. My next port of call was going to to be the DCCAE to see if they know what's going on.
    Heard from NBI today. They've been surveying in Co. Wexford for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Heard from NBI today. They've been surveying in Co. Wexford for the last few weeks.

Is that wexford town specifically or where in Wexford are they starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Peter Hendrick on Shannonside FM yesterday.

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/selection-high-speed-broadband-connections-go-live-coming-weeks/

Tl;dr
    Design phase in 11 counties for this year. Next year, the remaining counties will be surveyed for buildout but all BCPs will be connected this year. 5-8 weeks survey duration. Poles replaced in 'make-ready' phase prior to build out. The closer you are to a Trunk line, the quicker you will be connected. 60-70 operators on the NBP network predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭rodge123

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/selection-high-speed-broadband-connections-go-live-coming-weeks/

Tl;dr
    Design phase in 11 counties for this year. Next year, the remaining counties will be surveyed for buildout but all BCPs will be connected this year. 5-8 weeks survey duration. Poles replaced in 'make-ready' phase prior to build out. The closer you are to a Trunk line, the quicker you will be connected. 60-70 operators on the NBP network predicted.

Did he mention which counties would be surveyed this year?
    Did he say if counties that are surveyed first will also get buildout first?
    Any mention of their logic of picking certain counties before others for surveying?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dollylama

rodge123 wrote: »
    Did he mention which counties would be surveyed this year?
    Did he say if counties that are surveyed first will also get buildout first?
    Any mention of their logic of picking certain counties before others for surveying?

The host asked him in particular why was Roscommon picked as one of the first counties. NBI guy says these were chosen due to their proximity to the core networks on railway and gas lines. So just to be clear, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact ex-TD Denis the menace happens to be from Roscommon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭db

We had a follow-up visit from what I assume was a supervisor yesterday - said he was checking up on the quality of the survey done earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Does it mention anywhere what towns are included in the new survey?

Im based in headford and stuck with pretty awful broadband, despite there being an inactive cabinet 500 metres form my house :(

Go 1km outside the town and you can get Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Nuphor

The drip-feeding of information is becoming a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Nuphor wrote: »
    The drip-feeding of information is becoming a real pain.

This is a deluge of information compared to what was happening prior to the contract being signed. Their PR machine is doing a great job of getting the word out with local newspapers and radio stations.
    I have a Google alert set up for "National Broadband Ireland" and the flow of new articles is relatively constant. One or more every week, and almost all of them involve direct messaging/quotes from NBI themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

daraghwal wrote: »

They were surveying around Barntown area yesterday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

Tl;dr

I suspect any timings will change now. The national broadband plan has to become the number one infrastructure priority in the next government to prepare for more waves of Covid. It also goes a long way to solve problems of traffic, housing, office space etc in Dublin. If you can have your staff work from home do you really need to pay Dublin wages and lease a flagship Dublin office.

My bet is projects like the Metro, DAA second runway, Luas extensions, Cork Limerick Motorway etc will all be delayed to allow for an electrification style national effort for universal Fiber Broadband.

daraghwal wrote: »
    No idea where they started. I read somewhere before that it was townlands around Wexford town. The town itself has SIRO but I couldn't tell you how far that goes out to the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

This is a deluge of information compared to what was happening prior to the contract being signed. Their PR machine is doing a great job of getting the word out with local newspapers and radio stations.
    I have a Google alert set up for "National Broadband Ireland" and the flow of new articles is relatively constant. One or more every week, and almost all of them involve direct messaging/quotes from NBI themselves.

Dont agree here. Ive signed up to get alerts from them directly as well as keeping an eye out for updates.

Had nothing from them. Am I 7 years away or 1 year away. WFH is completely feasible....if the broadband outside of cities was anyways decent. Which its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

How do you know if you are close to a Trunk line? I live near Claregalway which is being surveyed now according to some Eir technicians that called to fix my connection this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭user1842

They need to stop the BCPs. They are a waste of money, roll-out time and resources, especially now with Covid19.

They should focus fully on the real roll-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Tl;dr

Referring back to this post by the (sorely missed) Navi, I wonder would these NBI OLT locations translate to trunk lines as mentioned above?
    I have a list of what I believe are NBI OLT locations. This is comparable to the eir exchange and it is where the fibre runs for a given area will start. I think the closer you are to one of these locations the quicker you are likely to be connected when they start building. There are 227 locations in total, too many to put in a table here so I made a spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11hSbc0gWICHmVIVuXsN9myxoHnaZUwj1N96sBQdyqFQ/edit?usp=sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Dero wrote: »
    Referring back to this post by the (sorely missed) Navi, I wonder would these NBI OLT locations translate to trunk lines as mentioned above?

Damn, Claregalway isn't on that list :( Thanks for posting the list! Maybe the Athenry trunk will get me connected

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dollylama

user1842 wrote: »
    They need to stop the BCPs. They are a waste of money, roll-out time and resources, especially now with Covid19.

They should focus fully on the real roll-out.

Wasn't the consensus that these BCP's were only to be seen to be making progress despite the fact that fibre in the area of the BCP could take years.

I suspect myself that the microwave fed BCP's are 1. to keep NBI's Airspeed subsidiary busy and keep income in-house and 2. if this goes pear-shaped and fibre never comes... there would be a sturdy, national radio network in remote locations that the last mile could hang off . Not related but I see some ex-Airspeed telecom guys in 4site too.

I'm aware of one BCP location that just happened to get a publicly funded, industrial microwave link installed prior to the contract with NBI even being signed! One of the mobile networks is now using it for backhaul, their presence also publicly funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Dero wrote: »
    Emmanuel Lemon Louse........poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

People from NBI were surveying my area for extended fibre in the Caherconlish and Ballysimon in Limerick over the last week. Most of us have OpenEir FTTH since October 2017. But it will benefit a good share of my neighbours that don’t have access to the current FTTH lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I'm wondering whether anything is realistically possible here.

In an interview with the Irish Independent, Mr Donohoe also said the national roll-out of broadband needs “even greater urgency” so people living in rural areas are not at a disadvantage.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tax-breaks-for-working-from-home-on-the-cards-39181336.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭bennyineire

KOR101 wrote: »
    I'm wondering whether anything is realistically possible here.

In an interview with the Irish Independent, Mr Donohoe also said the national roll-out of broadband needs “even greater urgency” so people living in rural areas are not at a disadvantage.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tax-breaks-for-working-from-home-on-the-cards-39181336.html

I wouldn't think so, I guess he is just emphasising how critical this piece of infrastructure is. It's starting to look like a very good decision now politically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I wouldn't think so, I guess he is just emphasising how critical this piece of infrastructure is. It's starting to look like a very good decision now politically

well even the im alright jack brigade can see the benefits of not having everyone out on the roads to go to an office where they do the same job they are doing from home right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭clohamon

Meanwhile in the UK.....

BT Openreach talks big investment.
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/bt-invest-12bn-on-fttp-broadband-for-20-million-uk-premises.html

FTTP for 20M premises by late 2020’s
    (Copper based G-Fast being terminated)

Stats indicate 27M households and 2.7M businesses in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'm not in the NBP because,I'm in a blue area anomalously created across country from a cabinet 2 miles away with no poles or lines to me and no other house to serve out this way

2 emails replied with the same answer 'you are covered by commercial operators
    Eir and others have refused '

T.d's getting same answer from the department
    The new nbi lines will be passing my entrance
    Explained all that to the department
    Included maps

Are they thick ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Same boat as you Mortelaro but even worse I'm actually in a town. Fibre cabinets all around me but the 6 houses in my row are on an old line that circles half the town before going back to the exchange.

"you are covered by commercial operators" = tough **** paddy.

Advertisement