Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random EV thoughts.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I've heard the base model will be about €25,000 after all incentives.

That would be amazing for 50kWh and 0-60 8 secs

I was thinkg €30,000 for base

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Mike9832 wrote: »
    That would be amazing for 50kWh and 0-60 8 secs

I was thinkg €30,000 for base

And apparently, a very well speced base model at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What do yiz watch?

Ev Opinion - tests/reviews/commentary
    EV Man UK - as above, some rants
    Emma Jackman (Zoe)
    Fully Charged
    Fancy a BEV Mate? Taxi perspective, Leaf
    Ian Sampson - infrequent as he doesn't need to upload as much any more.

Don't get the time to watch much of Bjorn's stuff.
    Pretty much none of the above. Watch the odd fully charged episodes but the newer ones are not as good as the older ones from a few years ago.

I watch the following pretty regularly:
    TeslaBjorn
    Liketesla
    webacktesla
    james cooke
    Transport evolved
    TFL Car/TFL truck (they do interesting reviews, currently own a tm3)

And then one or two others that pop up.

Looks a class EV too

It's £26,000 cash after goverment grant in the UK for this model

Surely that will be more here?

Not sure of this is base model

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/cars/new-corsa/offers-finance/flexible-pcp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Pretty much none of the above. Watch the odd fully charged episodes but the newer ones are not as good as the older ones from a few years ago.

TeslaBjorn
    Liketesla
    webacktesla
    james cooke
    Transport evolved

But you're not watching liketesla for its in-depth reviews! ;)

• Advertisement

Looks a class EV too

That would equate to about €29k after grant here, if it was a direct conversion.

Interesting that they also say it has 11kW AC charging as standard.... I hope they offer that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Looks a class EV too

Not necessarily - look at how the MINIs price converted from the 24,900 sterling to the price it is here.

Remember that MINI may be factoring a WTO tarriff into their Irish price as ALL the cars will come after the current Brexit date of October 31st (WTO tarriff will apply as it's a UK built car).

The opposite scenario applies to the Corsa - WTO tarriff for UK cars as I assume Corsa NOT built in UK.

Irish price thus wont have a WTO tarriff on it.

It's possible that neither the Irish MINI EV or UK eCorsa price include the tarriff cost but to my mind that's epically stupid by MINI and Vauxhall on cars that are 100 percent after October 31st sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Daimler (Mercedes-Benz etc.) just announced that they lost 1.6 billion in the last quarter down from 2.6 billion profit this time last year. They are saying that it's due to dieselgate and airbag recalls but seeing how well Tesla is competing with their bread and butter models makes you think...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

TeslaBjorn
    Liketesla
    webacktesla
    james cooke
    Transport evolved

Bjorn met Robert Llewellyn a while ago. Was hoping for a follow up chat video from that, but think FC by their own admission aren't the quickest on the production end.

I sometimes watch Bob Flavin too. He's started going on a lot about subscribing recently which is an instant no from me when someone mentions it multiple times in a video. Mind you, sort of cancelled that out with his ecars rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I sometimes watch Bob Flavin too.

Watched one of his early videos where he was clearly (I hope) playing dumb with charging the car. Couldn't figure out which socket was for the car he was testing.

Haven't bothered since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I sometimes watch Bob Flavin too.

Watched one of his early videos where he was clearly (I hope) playing dumb with charging the car. Couldn't figure out which socket was for the car he was testing.

Haven't bothered since.

Was that the Ioniq video where he tried starting the AC or CCS by hitting the button for Chademo?????.

And then wondering why it didn't work.

I watch a variety of youtube videos and I think all the various people have their good and not so good days.

The thing to remember about most of them is that it's a sideline for many of them.

If I could only watch one - it would be Bjorn - his testing looks dependable - and he can be funny

Old diesel wrote: »
    Was that the Ioniq video where he tried starting the AC or CCS by hitting the button for Chademo?????.

Yeah that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eskerman

The elephant in the room with EVs is at present I think for every €10 fuel in the tank the taxman gets about €7.50 give or take and this is massive revenue stream that goes to central exchequer - how will this cash cow be replaced when EVs take hold ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

DrPhilG wrote: »

Haven't bothered since.

Rings a bell. It does seem that sometimes traditional reviewers are happy to find something to bash EVs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah that was hilarious and infuriating to watch all at once, but Bob is very good besides that one vid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lads, Bob did that on purpose. Funny how so many people fell for it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

unkel wrote: »

Where did you hear that?

eskerman wrote: »
    The elephant in the room with EVs is at present I think for every €10 fuel in the tank the taxman gets about €7.50 give or take and this is massive revenue stream that goes to central exchequer - how will this cash cow be replaced when EVs take hold ?

From the taxpayer of course, just not from selling petrol/diesel.

unkel wrote: »

There are no good reasons to do that on purpose unless you're deliberately trying to paint EVs in a bad light. Only reasons are:

1 - to make yourself look extremely thick

or

2 - to make the charging process look more difficult than it is

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

1 - is close. Make yourself (a respected morning journo) look so extremely thick, that it really is beyond plausible.

The penny dropped for me after watching a few minutes of it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I regularly take the i-Pace or the BMW i3. 
    Charging for me is a mix between opportunistic and cost. 
    Before doing a long distance journey I'll mark off the free CCS Chargers. 
    If the journey is beyond the range of the car I'm driving I'll try and get to a free charger with around 40-50 km range left and then charge enough to have 40-50 km range left at my destination or to the Next Rapid charger. 
    If the free one isn't available then I'll go onto the next paid one. 
    I only use AC if I'm planning a stop in a City/Town on the way or at me start or end destination. 
    Fastned have charging graphs you can use to see where the sweet spot is for maximum KW charging with the minimum time penalty. 

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/360000788848-Charging-with-a-Jaguar-I-PACE
    https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/204784718-Charging-with-a-BMW-i3
    I rarely ever for to the full 80% on Rapids as the time it takes gradually gets slower and you are better off doing 2 rapid charges than 1 long rapid charge.

Tesla drop the standard range S and X again?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is this just a general chat thread?

Anyway, does anyone know if the esb charger in clifden is currently working? I saw some chat that it was out of service but the app was not reporting that it was. However that is old information.

Last update from zap map was that it was out of service but that was 3 months ago. Current information on ecars app is that it is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

JPA wrote:
    Last update from zap map was that it was out of service but that was 3 months ago. Current information on ecars app is that it is working.
    Call the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

josip wrote: »

Some of those numbers are insane

0-300 in under 9 secs is Moto GP quick

Doesnt even make sense, 0-100 under 3secs, but only 6 secs more to 300, maybe traction limited and full 2000bhp not released till higher speeds?

Veyron supersport is like 18 secs to 300, its much faster than any hypercar out today

Even an F1 car is in the 9-10 sec range in race trim, maybe quicker in qualifying trim

Some of those numbers are insane

0-300 in under 9 secs is Moto GP quick

Doesnt even make sense, 0-100 under 3secs, but only 6 secs more to 300, maybe traction limited and full 2000bhp not released till higher speeds?

Veyron supersport is like 18 secs to 300, its much faster than any hypercar out today

Even an F1 car is in the 9-10 sec range in race trim, maybe quicker in qualifying trim
    You have to remember that F1 cars are not optimized to be quick in a straight line, they are optimized to be quick around corners (hence the downforce)

Remove all the wings and you'd have a seriously quick car

You have to remember that F1 cars are not optimized to be quick in a straight line, they are optimized to be quick around corners (hence the downforce)

Remove all the wings and you'd have a seriously quick car

F1 cars accelerate much quicker up to a certain point the more wing they have to allow more and earlier grip. F1 cars are around a thousand horsepower, this is 2k, that's all there is to it. :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sorry not sure where to put this.........do you have to pay for parking when you are using a public charging point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Sorry not sure where to put this.........do you have to pay for parking when you are using a public charging point?
    Completely down to the Local Authority / Land owner, same story for the rest of Europe as well.

Advertisement