Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Don’t think insurance that bad in Ireland for them.

Separate question. If you took the motors and batteries out of Tesla’s and substituted with an ICE what brands would it correspond to / a brand that we know In EU with regard to build quality? Peugeot? Seat?

[Extract from pub conversation:-
    Q: “What car do you drive?” A: “ I drive a fiat.”
    Response “Sure aren’t they all built the same nowadays and don’t break down like in the 80s”]
    I think fiats still break down nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Got a quote from 123 for a P100D of €509.11 which isn't half bad. Model 3 has got be less right because insurance in this country is completely logical?

Allianz don't insure Teslas, but they will cover your extended warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭sk8board

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't get why the separate process for UK and Ireland.
    We are the two RHD markets in Europe surely they should be produced at the same time.
    Anyway I can't order mine at the moment either way (mortgage application process) so no skin off my nose :P

If I was Tesla, I’d prioritize getting those initial boats of RHD orders into a single large market first, and then worry about the additional shipping logistics of a ‘bolt on’ market which is over 25 times smaller in terms of annual new car registrations (100k v 2.6m), probably even smaller still in terms of Tesla orders - we might be barely 2-3% of UK tesla volumes, given our relatively low EV adoption rate versus the UK.

Given their financial situation, it makes commercial sense to satisfy the easy volume first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Was in the show room in Dublin yesterday, the guy said Irish configurator could open in a few days, but also said my guess was as good as his!

Great to see the car in it flesh, it's obviously a good bit smaller than the S, and seemed a little small inside compared to my Ioniq. I'm 6 foot 3 so if you're tall you might want to sit in one before buying.

Build quality seemed very good to me and it did have a premium feel in my opinion, certainly compared to the Ioniq with cloth seats anyway!

The boot is absolutely massive in the 3 which would be nice. Would love one, but it will be a bit too rich for my blood for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Was in the show room in Dublin yesterday, the guy said Irish configurator could open in a few days, but also said my guess was as good as his!

Great to see the car in it flesh, it's obviously a good bit smaller than the S, and seemed a little small inside compared to my Ioniq. I'm 6 foot 3 so if you're tall you might want to sit in one before buying.

Build quality seemed very good to me and it did have a premium feel in my opinion, certainly compared to the Ioniq with cloth seats anyway!

The boot is absolutely massive in the 3 which would be nice. Would love one, but it will be a bit too rich for my blood for now.

Had a look through the showroom yesterday too 🀣 Got the same answer about the configurator as well. Car looks fantastic. Controls are very intuitive. Tons of storage space. Buckets of room in the back seats. Didn't find it cramped at all in the driver seat (just over 6'1"). It'll be worth the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Did you notice that the bonnet was warped? It's a known issue with the frunk, if you don't close it carefully with both hands it warps the metal.

The main issue I had was that it was very low. I'm used to taller cars now, don't like stooping or awkwardly clambering out. But then again if you are used to the Ioniq it's probably fine for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

seemed a little small inside compared to my Ioniq. I'm 6 foot 3 so if you're tall you might want to sit in one before buying.

Could you please elaborate? Surely the space in the back is at least the same as in Ioniq (head space and leg room)?

Also, my best mate bought a Model 3 and he is 6'4 and he didn't even mention it was tight

unkel wrote: »
    Could you please elaborate? Surely the space in the back is at least the same as in Ioniq (head space and leg room)?

Also, my best mate bought a Model 3 and he is 6'4 and he didn't even mention it was tight

Didn't find the display model small at all in either front or back seats. Also didn't find the car "low", I really don't like those low to the ground cars where the seats are nearly lying down and the Model 3 definitely didn't feel like any of these things. The bonnet I didn't find funny at all and when I opened and closed it, it did so with a reassuring clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

What colour choice are you guys making? Red was always my first choice, but I was in San Francisco last week (where you'd swear 1 in every 10 cars is a Model 3) and I noticed that unless it's really well polished, the red can actually look quite dull. I like the black too, but the general consensus on the Model 3 Facebook groups is that you only have to look at the black to scratch it. The blue and grey are nice, but just not for me. So now I'm thinking white.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I like the blue.
    I think if I was in my new house and the Irish order books opened tomorrow that would be my color of choice.

But there's a lot to be said for performance in white with black alloys.

• Advertisement

Hate white and there's no way I would pay two grand extra for paint. Mine would be black.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

I own a black car and keeping it clean is a nightmare. white on Irish country roads could look terrible after a few days. I was thinking grey but that's a bit easy. blue, too much like the bmw's in the car park. not paying 2 grand for red.

will ceramic coating the black protect it and keep it looking better for longer? will that work on the white?

Hate white and there's no way I would pay two grand extra for paint. Mine would be black.
    Certainly wouldnt pay extra for white!

Black cars (like my Ioniq was) are very difficult to keep pristine as they accumulate dirt and microscratches like no one's business.

I'm not bothered on my current bangernomics offerings but on new cars it affects the resale or PCP value. I think I'm probably going to end up with black though as if I get the performance one I'll be stretching the budget and color is one of the first non essentials to cut. Certainly I'd prefer a black one with FSD and the white interior compared to a non FSD black interior blue car.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

I was exactly discussing this with my OH, we like the red, but I heard that about being dull a few times already when light is not great or a bit dirty. Preference was blue with white interior but dog travels with us (whether on cage in the back seats) or in the passenger seat when there is somebody there, so don't think it is very feasible.

I like grey in the S but don't think I like it that much with the 3 shape and size. Quite a challenge tbh for us...

Just sticking with the standard Black too. The Grey is really nice though, showroom has body panel samples on display if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Definitely white for me, have always had white cars. Hangover of living in Japan. It's pearlescent white on the Teslas which looks a lovely job.

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    will ceramic coating the black protect it and keep it looking better for longer? will that work on the white?

It will, but you'd be better getting it done immediately, because any micro scratches on black can look worse under ceramic. Much less noticeable on white.

jarrieta wrote:
    dog travels with us (whether on cage in the back seats) or in the passenger seat when there is somebody there

I guess you never have to transport dog + 5 people?

Our dog is pretty much the only reason I'm not getting a Model 3

I guess you never have to transport dog + 5 people?

Our dog is pretty much the only reason I'm not getting a Model 3

You just need to change the rules. Going somewhere with the dog? That's a trip for the wife's car so! :D

It would be the wife's car!

Would be a lot harder to get the 5 of us plus large dog into my 2 seater Porsche. It does have a trunk and a frunk though :p

• Advertisement

You just need to change the rules. Going somewhere with the dog? That's a trip for the wife's car so! :D

I'd be changing the rules to no animals in my €60k car :p

It would be the wife's car!

Would be a lot harder to get the 5 of us plus large dog into my 2 seater Porsche. It does have a trunk and a frunk though :p

I see an idea for Dragons Den... a Ruff Rack!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd be changing the rules to no animals in my €60k car :p

I already have 3 animals of the human variety. Far worse than the dog in what they do to the car, but fortunately they don't shed as much hair :p

Put the dog in the frunk. He can press eject button while moving. That’s why the display one was warped.

We have big lab doodle. When in model 3 he will have his head and front feet and maybe abdomen sticking out on forwarded onethird of back of pushed forward seat back. God help us in accident but Tesla’s don’t crash do they?

smokybacon wrote: »
    he will have his head and front feet and maybe abdomen sticking out on forwarded onethird of back of pushed forward seat back.

Maybe it's me but I can't seem to picture this :confused::p

Saw this referenced elsewhere. To be published by end in May. Mentions 700000 cars by 2030. Would need to be cheaper EV prices to achieve this maybe no Vrt at all or vat? If we order now and the taxes change surely final amount due is adjusted? Like Norways prices. [Government would loose taxes from petrol / diesel which they need to keep the current govnt high standards to Norway’s levels, not.]

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/climate-change-plan-carbon-taxes-seen-as-best-way-to-reduce-pollution-1.3897598?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Black Model 3 for me. I'll be taking the aero caps off, paint protecting and probably dechroming as soon after delivery as possible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I'd love the Red but not at the price it is. Blue is probably what I'd go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The Grey may as well be Black from a distance, but at least a more metallic finish. I've yet to see it close up.

Pity they discontinued Silver, it really showed off the cars lines and sleek design, contrasted well with the glass roof and white seats.

model3-silver.png"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement