Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Great film, not as good as his other recent blockbusters but still thoroughly enjoyable.

I expect I'll enjoy it a lot more on second viewing, and yeah dialogue was awful in parts - I was reading the Spanish subtitles in some scenes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭micar

santana75 wrote: »
    All I can say is Wow.......I loved it but it is absolutely insane. I admit to not having a Barneys as to what was going on most of the time. Yet I couldn't get enough of it. This is Christopher nolan's "Kid A".....which is fine by me because I loved Kid A. But the movie going masses will not like this at all, in fact there was walkout at the screening I went to. I've seen most of nolan's films in the cinema and not once did I witness a walk out. But you will never see another film like this, technically its incredible. Although one minor gripe is that at times the sound quality of the dialogue was so poor that subtitles would've been appropriate. Not the first time that could be said about his films so not sure if its deliberate or not. But this is a film that requires multiple viewings, which is ok by me because like kid A it'll get better every time.

I love Kid A .

So I will love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've never understood the idea of walkouts even if a movie is mediocre...

I saw a woman walk out of Mad Max Fury Road, with her five year old daughter.
    But turned out she was just bringing her to the toilet, as they came back again.
    Cheaper than a babysitter I guess.
    I complained to the cinema manager, who said the movie was 15A, so it was completely up to the parents discretion whether it was a suitable film.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Looking forward to going to the cinema to see a new film. Been to a couple of old ones. Been a mixed experience in terms of people following guidelines and general feelings of anxiety of being in an enclosed environment with a group of people.

My local cinema reopened this week and have to say the set up was great. There were only two other people in the cinema with us. A small cinema but spaced from us. I also had a stressful time at work and had come straight from work, so was just looking forward to sitting back and relax.

I was into the opening set-piece. Then something happens during this scene that gives the whole film away. This a third time Nolan done this in his films. Interstellar & Dark Knight Rises are the ones I'm talking about. Does he think he is being clever? It's so obvious it just ruins it for me.

From there the film rattles on and I lost interest in it fast. The other problem the two lads in the cinema decided they needed to talk through the whole film. If you have seen Tenet you know it's loud.

So these lads decided to talk louder. I tried ignoring as my GF hates confrontation and if I said anything it would cause a fight between us. It got to the point where it was unbearable, so I told my GF I was going to say something, she said she rather leave as she hated the film. I too was bored by it. It just kept going on and on. I didn't find any of the action any good or care to what was going on.

We left with maybe 30-40 mins left. I was so worked up, I went to the lads on the way out and told them " thanks for ruining the film, maybe next time you could shut the fxxk up". They were shocked.

Of course, this led to an argument with my GF, so the whole night was ruined. I read online about the ending and it was, what I thought it was. What a waste of money.

Not sure there if that is a reflection on the actual film or the experience you had at the cinema.

I wouldn't say that there is a huge amount "given away" in the opera scene.

Aside from
    an inverted bullet which is already in the trailer so not giving anything away at all really there is one other little trinket thing but that wouldn't make sense as it is referred to again at the very end of the movie so you couldn't possibly have picked it up.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    Not sure there if that is a reflection on the actual film or the experience you had at the cinema.

I wouldn't say that there is a huge amount "given away" in the opera scene.

Aside from
    an inverted bullet which is already in the trailer so not giving anything away at all really there is one other little trinket thing but that wouldn't make sense as it is referred to again at the very end of the movie so you couldn't possibly have picked it up.
    At the start when The Protagonist is saved you know it's someone from the future, I thought it was the protagonist but it was Neil. You know where into Paradox city. It's all a loop. All the time travel stuff you have seen before. But wait...it's not time travel...it's inversion.

In Interstellar, when the book is knockdown out of nowhere, I just knew that was Matthew form the future and how it would play out

In Dark Knight rises when Michael Caine gives the speech at the start about seeing Mr. Wyane in a cafe in pairs at peace, you just know that's how it's going to play out. I have no idea why he keeps doing this

well there are plenty of problems with the movie but I didn't have a problem with that part
    knowing that he was saved by some sort of time traveller (time inverter). and you only know for sure that it's Neil at the very end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly a lot of that is just basic setup and pay-off - foundational elements of screenwriting. Storytelling isn’t all about a big surprise - it’s about reaching a point that feels natural in the flow of the story. You clearly plant something early in the story to build audience anticipation that it will pay off. It can be subtle or overt, depending on to what degree you want the whole audience on board.

That said, I wouldn’t call this a particularly elegant written film in that respect. There are a lot of moments in the first half -
    from the ‘another woman diving into the water’ to Pattinson’s character ‘killing’ the mysterious stranger in the free port (conveniently off-screen)
    - which stand out as being jarring enough that they’re obviously teases for something later. But I guess that’s exactly the game Nolan wants to be playing here - if he wanted these to seem casual asides then he failed in that respect :p

Movie with inverted bullets has elements of time travel shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Well after months of no cinema and eager anticipation for this to welcome us back I was let down. It's not a bad film so to say. It just overly clunky, exposition overload at speed and hard to hear. So much so that one the entropy effects come into full effect you're trying to figure out what's going on, how it works while trying to recall what someone had just said over a terrible sound mix.

For a film this long it lacks time to breathe, to give the characters something more than feeding you info, often quite badly. The first conversations between Debicki and Protagonist where
    she dishes out her marital woes and flashbacks interspliced to show the woman jumping off the boat, who she wants to be as free as, were hamfisted. Instances like that were immediately obvious that she would be that woman, that he would be the masked man.

The few rug pulls weren't very surprising and made me feel Nolan is running out of tricks to try fool us. His only remedy to this is to utterly confuse. The story is simple yet leaves you struggling to untangle and understand how it could come to be in the logic of the world. While Inception led you along a path that may have been confusing at first, this is like being navigated through a ball of tangled string. Though you are be trying to untangle what's there you can easily lose sight and get distracted by a different knot.

By the time of the final act sequence and the pre-amble I had gotten lost. Again, though I knew what the overarching goals were, I couldn't digest what was happening, how it was happening, make sense of it and enjoy it at the same time. No doubt in Nolan's mind this is a film to be dissected over multiple viewings but I'm not sure the enjoyment and character appreciation is there for me to go back. I don't care about
    Elizabeth Debicki freeing herself to be with her son as the crux of the drama.
    I was far more invested with Inception & Cobb's story to get back to his kids by comparison.

Robert Pattinson was the mvp in the movie, and wish more could be done with his chemistry with Washington throughout. Brannagh's accent was cartoonish and his low rumblings, particularly when
    it's alongside the reverse/inverted voice in one scene
    was often hard to pick up. I also wish his character had better motivation than
    I'm dying, so I want the world to end level of pettiness. Bettering this in the script surely was an easy fix.

This film more than anything has made me miss the pub, so you can go have a post pint discussion. This initial viewing was letting the movie wash over me, and maybe I'll be more positive once I see it again, but bar satisfying my confusion I'm not feeling in a rush to see it all over again. If I do I will chance the Imax.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's what I mean when I say that the inversion was jarring rather than transfixing - you can accept the broad principle but it's impossible to logic-check and equally impossible not to try to logic-check all or even most of what is going on in parts in real-time -> repeated viewings be dammed.

A movie "designed" to be viewed multiple times and not mostly (can have an element of repeat watching appreciation e.g. The Usual Suspects type thing) enjoyed on the initial viewing is not proper cinema imo

glasso wrote: »
    Movie with inverted bullets has elements of time travel shocker!
    But does it have to go down the same route of being a loop/paradox that every time travel things do? It was also clear the girl jumping off the boat was her.

I think twenty years ago Nolan got going with Memento with a jagged approach to storytelling and keeps trying to do it. I don't know if he honestly believes his out moving the audience or the audience has out moved him at this stage.

jface187 wrote: »
    But does it have to go down the same route of being a loop/paradox that every time travel things do? It was also clear the girl jumping off the boat was her.

I think twenty years ago Nolan got going with Memento with a jagged approach to storytelling and keeps trying to do it. I don't know if he honestly believes his out moving the audience or the audience has out moved him at this stage.

yes I did say earlier that I think that Nolan should really move on from the conceit of time being so central to his movies now.

Mixing timelines a la Dunkirk is ok imo but the whole time travel / time inversion / time-fooking is getting a bit tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The good thing about Interstellar and Inception was that there was no time travel, just time manipulation, time stretched or crushed but still moved in one direction, Tenet pushed this a bit too much - but still he gets away with it - barely.

I'm not sure what Nolan will do next, either way I think he has peaked as a filmmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Maybe it was just the day that was in it but it was the first time that Nolan didn't quite pull me in with the idea. Originality it can't be denied, but I'd like to see Nolan tackle an established story again in his next effort.

What didn't help matters is the idiotic narrative that popped up around this film because it had the temerity to be the first big release post lockdown. Maybe with a clearer head I'll be able to watch it again down the line and appreciate it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Loved it, although thankfully my wife is a lot smarter than me and helped me catch up. I think after they explain that
    Sato is using a machine in the freeports to communicate through time
    it made a lot more sense to me.

Also, can we all agree that
    Neil is Sato's son?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I have to say that was amazing. The set pieces, score and visuals were outstanding. Some of the ideas were just mind-blowing. I do love this type of film though so if you don't like to be confused it might not be for you. The car journey home with the family was one big argument about the exact way it worked.

When the first big inverted sequence happened it was a real WTF moment. I have to say I've never seen anything like it. Tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I hadn't a clue what they were after half the time - probably because of the sound quality - but it came together enough in the end to satisfy me. A solid 7/10, maybe more next time I watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I Really enjoyed it. Was a bit lost at time’s during it but felt at the end it wasn’t actually as complicated as it felt! Feel like it also set itself up for a sequel. I’m sure there are parts I missed and I must of missed why
    satar wanted to kill everybody, was it cause he was dieing and just wanted to take everybody with him?

What is Tenet? There were parts difficult to understand but I don’t remember it being explained. Also, somebody said the double room was
    where Satar could communicate with himself in 2 times but I couldn’t understand what he was saying when watching in a different time?!
    We still don’t know who was sending the pieces back in time to Satar or why. Liked the twist with Neil at the end.

Give it a solid 8/10. You have to watch Nolan movies in the cinema to really appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Denny61

Saw it...3/10 ..far fetched story..back and forwards in time lapses...dialogue drowned out by ear splitting sounds and music .and too much CGI ...id rather watch inception ten times over ..

• Advertisement

Denny61 wrote: »
    Saw it...3/10 ..far fetched story..back and forwards in time lapses...dialogue drowned out by ear splitting sounds and music .and too much CGI ...id rather watch inception ten times over ..

Couldn't really be further from the mark on that.

Tenet Probably Has Less CGI Than Most Rom-Coms, Says Christopher Nolan

https://www.ign.com/articles/tenet-less-cgi-than-most-rom-coms-christopher-nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think I might like this movie when I see it just to spite the reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I found it really entertaining in parts and good enough throughout, but not great.

It was all a bit paint-by-numbers James Bond at times, with the jet-setting (made my head spin more than the timey-wimey stuff), the "new" cold-war plot, and the evil Russian with his henchmen and world-ending scheme. The actual interesting stuff is mostly just exposition and set-pieces. Might have been good to see the ideas in this movie played out a little more thoughtfully, and without the toomanymillions of dollars budget.

Fun set-pieces though! And I'll be interested in seeing it again with an eye on the details.

Tenet is 9th out of his 10 major releases on metacritic

Dunkirk is incidentally way ahead at number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I saw this yesterday and left very confused. As a spectacle it is very good, and the performances all round, including Branagh's dodgy Russian accent were fine. It certainly played like a Bond film, but I was wondering if anyone else thought
    that if you went back and excised all the references to time and played it as a straight thriller with an unencumbered narrative it would be just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Went to see this in Vue, liffey Valley last night. Really enjoyed it.

After the movie, much like most of the patrons I made a dash for the toilets to relieve myself of the XL soda drink I'd been holding in my bladder for much of the 2hours and 50 minutes.

As I exited the rest room I have pretended to be 'inverted', walking out backwards and buttoning up my jeans and belt in reverse... Much the amusement of my wife and a few bystanders who got the joke (I hope!)

... Feel free to use that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Big meh from me, didn't know what was happening or really care. Looked well but not strong enough for me. Thought the lead was rubbish too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hadn't a clue what was going on for most of the movie. I enjoyed parts of it and Kenneth Branagh was great. But certainly won't watch it a second time. Also found some of the dialogue very hard to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Christopher Nolan is starting to love the smell of his own ****....
    Too many 'yes men' telling him everything he is doing is perfect....

to be fair most of what he has done in the past has been superb....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

• Saw it in the isense and I couldn't make out half of the dialogue. What a waste.

Advertisement