Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think there are many people who wouldn't think that being born black or minority in certain countries doesn't come with some downsides. Regardless of that, though, using decisive phrases as the one in question does nothing to further efforts in garnering support.

When you make something about colour, it only drives a wedge into things.

This should be more about pointing the finger at power structures and the people who make those structures, as they are the ones who are responsible for circumstances never changing.

Pointing fingers at someone who's dirt poor and screaming "white privilege" because of an immutable characteristic they possess doesn't help. Not even in the slightest.

It ends up only creating more division.

The celebrities in the video were responding to the current upheaval in America. The upheaval is specifically about colour and how black people are being mistreated and discriminated "because of an immutable characteristic they possess". No one is making it about colour, it is about colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The term "white privilege" is divisive, accusatory and flat out unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The term "white privilege" is divisive, accusatory and flat out unhelpful.

It is the only useful way to describe the dynamic at play. Telling people who experience inequality that to describe what's happening is divisive is silly.

There's no moral judgement built into having white privilege. It's not a sin to have it. The danger is in pretending you don't, or that it doesn't exist at all.

All we're asked to do is be mindful of it and its effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

For anyone that was a fan of the documentary "King of Kong", Billy Mitchell has to be one of film's greatest baddies.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/06/guinness-reinstates-billy-mitchells-donkey-kong-pac-man-records/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ansel Elgort of Baby Driver and Spielberg's upcoming West Side Story has been accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old. :/

Details are awful.

https://screenrant.com/ansel-elgort-accused-sexual-assault-underage-girl/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ansel Elgort of Baby Driver and Spielberg's upcoming West Side Story has been accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old. :/

Details are awful.

That guy has always been really creepy. I've seen several interviews with him where he just came across as a total creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have never seen Baby Driver and not familiar with him, but looking at what he's done she was probably a fan of Divergent and he took advantage of that. Unfortunately, going by the way he talked to her, it seem like she was the first
    I do have to point out the one from West Side Story is 19 and would've been 18 when it was filmed, going by the dates on Wikipedia so I think Screenrant were just saying she was 17 to try and draw the comparison to the girl.

Details are awful.

Really disgusting stuff, wonder what this means for the West Side Story remake. Looking at the cast it seems like it's a lot of unknown actors and this would probably have been a big break for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Details are awful.

His reply.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CBrc56ABpWn/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If I wasn't already convinced Disney might be evil, the "Disney Research Studios" released what is the most convincing Deep Fake technology I've seen to date; the possibilities for illegality or abuse is endless. Always thought these Deep Fakes were a little creepy and worrying, and the quality of fakery with Disney's own is troubling IMO.

Of all the technological Pandora's Boxes out there, this feels like the one with the most sociological or ideological danger attached. If we think "Fake News" is a problem now, imagine a world where any enemy of the state, or political rival can be demolished by a convincing fake like this. Someone like Putin could just destroy any of his rivals with a simple video them saying or doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ugh, I hate this face swapping stuff. I'd ban if it I could.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ugh, I hate this face swapping stuff. I'd ban if it I could.

It may yet be; feels like enough of a bleeding edge technology to need legislation so misuse can be handled. Simple libel and defamation cases would presumably need a context for the malicious use of Deep Fake tech, notwithstanding the obvious potential for political chicanery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, got to agree. I find all of this deep fake stuff quite worrying, despite being fascinating. The potential for spoofery of the worst kind is incredibly high.

It'll come to pass where you simply will not be able to trust a photograph or a video at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yeh, got to agree. I find all of this deep fake stuff quite worrying, despite being fascinating. The potential for spoofery of the worst kind is incredibly high.

It'll come to pass where you simply will not be able to trust a photograph or a video at all.
    Photoshop has meant you can't really trust a photo for a long time.
    Putin+rides+a+bear.jpg
    We seem to have survived that as a society, and presumably video manipulation will be similar. Still, it will be used in malice, and it will do harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I find all of this deep fake stuff quite worrying, despite being fascinating. The potential for spoofery of the worst kind is incredibly high.

'The camera never lies' feels just quaint now.
    There's a bit of a paradox here though. Supposedly, in the 'post-truth' world, it's about controlling the narrative; objective truth is a side-issue. So veracity shouldn't really matter.
    In this context, there's a clever line in Hulu's 'The Great'; 'The first lie wins'. Couple that with the saying 'A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on', and the court of public opinion can be easily swayed. After all, the first casualty of media wars, as well as gossip, is the truth.
    Feckin social media, and the speed it can foster all that. Down with that sort of thing.

Yeah, when I saw the BttF video with Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr, I thought it was really them. So if it got better, it'd be scary. Though looks better quality than digital actors or deaging.
    But could they use it to cover Henry Cavill's moustache?

mikhail wrote: »
    Photoshop has meant you can't really trust a photo for a long time.
    [...]
    We seem to have survived that as a society, and presumably video manipulation will be similar. Still, it will be used in malice, and it will do harm.

As already remarked, a convincing lie, however definitively debunked, is as powerful as the strongest truth. Doctored photographs are as old as the medium itself - for example those famous shots of Stalin's inner circle shrinking, as those out of favour "disappeared" - but there's something different and game changing when it's video, and a convincingly "real" human speaking on camera. There's a greater verisimilitude at plat, one that has contrived to bypass the Uncanny Valley and is ripe for manipulation.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah, when I saw the BttF video with Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr, I thought it was really them. So if it got better, it'd be scary. Though looks better quality than digital actors or deaging.
    But could they use it to cover Henry Cavill's moustache?

The answer is yes, someone already did and yup, it looks better :) In defence of the FX house they were unlikely to have been given the time or money to do a good job:

On a lighter note and things I never even realised; did you know Warner Bros. produced 4 seasons of a Blazing Saddles sitcom, but intentionally never aired it, just to bypass Mel Brook's attempts to retain the rights of the Blazing Saddles IP? Needless to say the footage presented in the video below is awful stuff.

These days a show that actually airs mightn't even make it half a season.
    The fact they made 4 seasons is a bit mad. Maybe they would release it to tie into a sequel.
    And back then, were there any shows that had black leads in a mostly white cast?

I know the 94 Fantastic 4 film was made for licensing reasons as well. Any other attempts like these?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    These days a show that actually airs mightn't even make it half a season.
    The fact they made 4 seasons is a bit mad. Maybe they would release it to tie into a sequel.
    And back then, were there any shows that had black leads in a mostly white cast?

I know the 94 Fantastic 4 film was made for licensing reasons as well. Any other attempts like these?

There is an animated Star Wars comedy series that has never been aired (I think), nearly 40 episodes. It got tied up for reasons that wouldn't interest me enough to remember:pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, that Seth Green one. I remember it every now and again but forget about it before I think to look it up.

So Quibi have put out a series of shorts for a home made Princess Bride with lots of celebrities. Clearly very high budget
    Samples are available on youtube

Few more here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukpj5q_iSk&list=PLe3X2mFaQ-9JQiWRYMpGfNQb6vtpg7Njh

The likes of Jack Black and Jon Hamm as Westley.
    Details and cast here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Movie:_The_Princess_Bride

I know films based on true stories can sometimes take creative liberties but reading this description for a film called Alpha Code makes me wonder how much is true
    Johana (Denise Richards, Starship Troopers), a woman with no past, is hiding from a UN Agent Bowie(Randy Couture, The Expendables, 5 x UFC Champion)a head of secret space program. On her run she meets Martin(Bren Foster-TV’s The Last Ship) and with help of Bowie’s ex-colleague Lance they both help Martin to find his half alien daughter. The movie is based on the real life story of Milan Friedrich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Writer Peter Briggs talks about the Judge Dredd vs Judge Death movie (with Arnie as Dredd) that nearly (kinda) happened, on Bloody Disgusting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Animator Ruthie Tompson recently turned 110. Wow! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthie_Tompson

• Registered Users Posts: 84,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Elon Musk working with Tom Cruise. Feels like we're one launch accident away from the world's collective crazy getting slashed in one go.

Where else can the Mission Impossible franchise go but space :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1287894678948454400?s=21

As someone who has been singing Upstream Color’s praises since release as one of my favourite films of the last decade, this is a rough read. The way Carruth casually published details of the temporary order hidden away in another photograph is sinister. A lot of his self-spun narrative of being a frustrated Hollywood outcast unable to get funding takes on a whole different light now TBH.

I hope Amy Seimetz has every success with her new film despite this story suddenly becoming public.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1287894678948454400?s=21

As someone who has been singing Upstream Color’s praises since release as one of my favourite films of the last decade, this is a rough read. The way Carruth casually published details of the temporary order hidden away in another photograph is sinister. A lot of his self-spun narrative of being a frustrated Hollywood outcast unable to get funding takes on a whole different light now TBH.

I hope Amy Seimetz has every success with her new film despite this story suddenly becoming public.

Yeah, this is a pretty :( story all told, and that photo is almost like the platonic ideal way of saying "Yes, this happened, no I haven't learned anything from it and no I don't plan to change my behaviour". I don't imagine Carruth will be making a film again any time soon.

Oddly enough I'd seen a trailer for She Dies Tomorrow recently and already had it on my radar - hopefully the film's merits remain the focus of the conversation rather than being subsumed by So Your Ex Is An Abusive Arsehole: A Twitter War.

• Advertisement

Not what I expected to see on a Saturday morning. :o

https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/1291887474461954049

Advertisement