Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookies Reopening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Are all bookies definitely closed? I walked by a boylesports lights on tvs on etc doors locked sure what's the ****ing point of that??

From what I heard, all bookies were staffed today but not open!
    They were in talks with the government trying to get permission to open and if the gov agreed, all the staff then had to do was open the doors and they were ready to go.

Bar One are open today according to someone who was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Did Boyle open

brilou23 wrote: »
    Did Boyle open

No.
    none of Boyles, Ladbrokes or PP opened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 blocstock

I say most peole have switched to betting online

• Advertisement

blocstock wrote: »
    I say most peole have switched to betting online

I've been in a few few bookies in the last 2 weeks and there has been a large decrease in numbers all right.
    Some punters would be betting online okay but wouldn't say a massive number of them.
    A lot of punters come in from the pubs to have a bet, obviously only in bookies located near pubs but that won't happen again for a while until the pubs reopen fully.
    Also the age profile of a lot of punters means a good few of them won't go near a bookies while the restrictions are in place.
    I'd say the big players will survive but the independents may struggle with turnover dropping and costs remaining high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

went into Boyles this week. Goodwood & Galway should have seen a decent number inside. 3 or 4 at most. old cronies, nearly no one wearing a mask. Staff coming on to shop floor with no mask.

Wouldn't encourage me to rush back.

Happy4all wrote: »
    went into Boyles this week. Goodwood & Galway should have seen a decent number inside. 3 or 4 at most. old cronies, nearly no one wearing a mask. Staff coming on to shop floor with no mask.

Wouldn't encourage me to rush back.

Punter number in shops are still way down even with Goodwood and Galway on this week.
    One reason is shops have a limit on the number of people allowed inside at
    one time and punters are been asked to leave if there a long time and stopping others coming in.
    In one PP shop, they are refusing to serve customers if they aren't wearing a mask.
    A lot of people don't like or won't wear face masks so they won't venture into a shop if this is the case.
    Talking to a staff member, she said turnover was down 50% on last year in her shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Still waiting for the shops to reopen, anybody think that red,blue, green will be open before christmas? If you dodged coughers/spitters/loudmouthers/nosemaskers I generally found the c19 protocol reasonably good in the shops I used to frequent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

December 2nd unless something radical happens.

• Advertisement

They are open in N Ireland if you can get up there.

pottokblue wrote: »
    Still waiting for the shops to reopen, anybody think that red,blue, green will be open before christmas? If you dodged coughers/spitters/loudmouthers/nosemaskers I generally found the c19 protocol reasonably good in the shops I used to frequent!

They will, but they need to get a lot stricker about people sitting hours watching football for free with a mask around their neck.

Boyles model of buying up and renting large retail space doesn't look the smartest business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ste551

Hopefully bookies never open up again. the devils work

Well, we'll find out today... I wonder what the odds are for the shops to reopen/stayclosed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Surely they open December 2nd, basically non essential retail :)

Open the ruddy bookies toot suite I says

I see the lockdown isn't effecting the junkies getting their 'fix' ie that soupy concoction they drink in the pharmacy :mad:

#puntersneedtheirfixtoo :pac:

Wednesday 2nd is confirmed according to some people in the business.

Happy day after a 6week fantasy break I'm hoping to lose my cash in the redshop on wednesday...

pottokblue wrote: »
    Happy day after a 6week fantasy break I'm hoping to lose my cash in the redshop on wednesday...

:D

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Wednesday 2nd is confirmed according to some people in the business.

Guess I shouldn't have asked them "when are you back in work?".

Very quiet this morning in Boyles and PP in Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Their business will be way down until pubs reopen unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many lads I know have a lot more money in their pockets because the bookies were closed.
    I like a wee flutter myself but some lads just don’t know when to stop.

So are the now closed for Stephen's day onwards?

Happy4all wrote: »
    So are the now closed for Stephen's day onwards?

Not according to the staff I was asking today.
    For some unknown reason, they will be allowed to stay open provided they monitor and police the numbers in the shops.
    I would say they will have to close especially on the likes of Stephens Day when they see the numbers that will be in there for full racing and live Premier League matches.
    There's no live Irish or UK racing now until Stephens Day and they are still open full day tomorrow and 3pm Christmas Eve.
    Makes no sense when you compare it to having members of other households in your house. :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

So do we think betting shops are open tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭mike2084

Yes they are, they are classed as non-essential retail which have been allowed remain open in this phase. Of course it may change in the coming days, but they will open tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Not according to the staff I was asking today.
    For some unknown reason, they will be allowed to stay open provided they monitor and police the numbers in the shops.
    I would say they will have to close especially on the likes of Stephens Day when they see the numbers that will be in there for full racing and live Premier League matches.
    There's no live Irish or UK racing now until Stephens Day and they are still open full day tomorrow and 3pm Christmas Eve.
    Makes no sense when you compare it to having members of other households in your house. :confused:.

There was no live racing because there was no racing in the UK or Ireland on them days, - just saying. As for the remainder of your message/text.......

Short price but Momella - 12.59 Wincanton - should be hard beat....

Won at 7/4.

My local was open this morning no crowds and no racing post...I'm not sure if they allow BYOB for the full racing and live premier league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Well, thankfully, my local PP was open today anyway. I was there at about 11.30am, maybe 15 in there at that time. Everyone was happy to have somewhere to go for a while.

Advertisement