Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Year + 7 Months

• 08-07-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I want to offer my experience of giving up smoking form an ex-smoker to anyone thinking of quitting. I smoked for 15+ years. Used to chain when binge drinking and binge drank frequently. I'm in my 30's.

How I quit

Decided I want to live healthier and longer. Was sick of the guilty feeling knowing that I was killing myself with smoking and not doing anything about it. Most cigarettes weren't enjoyable. The taste it left in my mouth. The amount of time on my mind thinking about buying smokes, how much I had left always thinking of going out to only places with a good smoking area. Convincing myself about the "benefits" of smoking such as the life of the conversation/party in the smoking area of a club.

I also started to feel that I couldn't have a strong opinion on anything related to will power or addiction unless I could kick the habbit myelf. I didn't plan to give up. I just gave up. I just decided one day that I'm non-smoker.

I never really tried to quit, although I once before I was off them for couple of weeks. Let me tell you, this time was tough (I mean the cold turkey nicotine part). I got a short bout of depression, snappiness, night-sweats and some anxiety. It lasted about 4-5 days. By the 5th day I was worried that it was always going to be like this. Don't be fooled. These feelings went away fast.

My thought of giving up smoking was that it's a gift to myself. Each day not smoking was a reward and I'm rewarding myself every day. I re-wired my thinking. I re-wired my cravings. I'm not stressed that I can't have a smoke. I'm happy because I'm rewarding myself with improving my health!

I had to cut down on drinking and pretty much stop drinking in order to help me achieve me goal. When I did drink, I did have one cigarette on a night out. But it made me sick, mostly.

Now, the smell of smoking is off-putting. It feels so poisonous and the whole thing just seems like a horrible, awful mistake. I wish I never started.

To keep off the smokes, I would watch those timelines of the healing process. They're a really good motivator.

Also, now that my lungs aren't sore and congested, I've decided to try get fit again. Now I run and go to the gym 3 times per week.

It's not easy. Nothing is. But worth it. Very worth it. More money, less time wasted thinking about smoking and smoking related things. More autonomy. I don't have to be restricted to certain places or times due to smoking.

Advertisement