Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ToolSuppliers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Got an e-mail yesterday that Screw Fix Direct are now shipping to Ireland and other EU countries.

http://www.screwfix.com/jsp/container.jsp

Also if anyone looking for kitchen fittings try these lads out

http://www.kitchenfittingsdirect.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Got an e-mail yesterday that Screw Fix Direct are now shipping to Ireland and other EU countries.

http://www.screwfix.com/jsp/container.jsp
    Looks like they don't do anything heavy or bulky. Scroll saws, table saws "cannot be shipped outside mainland uk" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

kenmc wrote: »
    Looks like they don't do anything heavy or bulky. Scroll saws, table saws "cannot be shipped outside mainland uk" :(

Ken try parcel motel, use their Norn Irl address, although that may not count as 'the mainland'. If oversize you can collect it from their depot in...Finglas I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've used parcel motel in the past, but I think mainland excludes N.I. so that's out...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

kenmc wrote: »
    Anyone know if iedepot is still in business? I sent an email the other day inquiring about a product, but it bounced. Yet there's an ad in Done Deal for a scrollsaw which I was asking about - but it's marked as out of stock on the website.
    wierd.

iedepot are still in business, I was talking to one of there staff the other day and ordered stuff off them a couple weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

just started a new on-line shop website - www.woodturning.ie and www.whraitt.ie - feel free to email any comments to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carrotman99

I'm looking for some wood turning chisels chucks etc. if anyone could help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Has anyone heard of or used www.toolz.ie? The jig prices lok too good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 murphjohn121

Ive used Jebbtools for my most recent stuff. I only went on for a dog crate that the wife had told me about. Now I have bought from them 3 or 4 times already. Good staff and quality tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

anybody use powertool hub? got a few bits of them seem good on price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This is not quite in the tool supplier space, and it may be edge-case forum rules, but I am aware of some second hand 240v woodworking kit that is available for purchase:
    namely a Sheppach hf 3000 spindle moulder c/w power feed
    sliding carriage, cutter block
    and a Multico Model M floor mounted morticing machine.
    Owner has an aversion to adverts dot i.e. and similar.
    Pls PM if interested etc
    Mods delete if off side

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

This is not quite in the tool supplier space, and it may be edge-case forum rules, but I am aware of some second hand 240v woodworking kit that is available for purchase:
    namely a Sheppach hf 3000 spindle moulder c/w power feed
    sliding carriage, cutter block
    and a Multico Model M floor mounted morticing machine.
    Owner has an aversion to adverts dot i.e. and similar.
    Pls PM if interested etc
    Mods delete if off side

No problem with a genuine heads up on tool supplies.

But keep all contact by pm only both the op and anyone interested in them
    Please...

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Im not sure if Im allowed to promote my own site here, and if not I apologise.
    I have a range of good second hand woodworking tools for sale on adverts.ie. Planes by Stanley and Record, English made chisels , woodturning tools by Sorby and Ashley isles, drawknives , spokeshaves etc.
    http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-727864

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'll give mytools.ie (Ronayne Hardware) a plug as they were easy to deal with and quick to supply. I had problems ordering online for some reason couldn't get payment page to complete but found them easy to deal with on the phone. Courier they use for up to 30Kg is Fastway so that might put some people off, but for me more than made up for free delivery over €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So, dumb beginners question - I keep hearing about people talking about their old hand tools and where they got them and it's always the same: "What, the gold-plated record #8 plane with the titanium inserts and the padauk handles? That old thing? Oh, I picked that up at a car boot sale for a fiver..."

So do we have any of these magical car boot sales in Ireland where old hand tools show up reasonably regularly; or is it purely something that only happens within rock-throwing distance of Sheffield? Because ebay's pretty good at finding these things, but the postage is a pain in the fundament, especially with vices...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last two hand planes i picked up weren't exactly a fiver, but i got one (stanley bailey #4) for €17 at irish liquidators on the belgard road (since closed) and a marples bailey pattern #4 at the dublin flea for €12. both had surface rust, but were simple enough to clean up with some wire wool and WD40, and both work reasonably well. i keep meaning to do a full tuneup on them at some point.

Ah rats, the Dublin Flea was last weekend when I could have gone if I'd known it existed :D Thanks MB, I'll head into it next time to take a peek. I do need to get a #7 or #8 for flattening the benchtop and I'd be paying €17 in postage alone from ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I buy all my planes on eBay. Use parcel motel and it'll bring the shipping down a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i doubt you'd get a steel #7 in the flea; you could probably pick up an older wooden plane, but god knows what condition it'd be in. they're generally sold more as decoration than working tools, i suspect.

Went to the flea today. Not many stalls with much in the way of tools though.

Which isn't the same as none at all, mind:

384144.jpg

384145.jpg

Sole's not in bad shape, seems perfectly usable. Not bad for €10. There was a nearly full set of wooden moulding planes and a box of wooden planes from that size up to jointer size, all going for the same price, but I just don't have anything in mind to use them for and there's only so much I can carry on the luas :D But they're there today until 1600h if anyone else is interested...

• Advertisement

And the book selection was pretty good:

384149.jpg

384150.jpg

384151.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Sparks wrote: »
    Went to the flea today. Not many stalls with much in the way of tools though.

Which isn't the same as none at all, mind:

384144.jpg

384145.jpg

Sole's not in bad shape, seems perfectly usable. Not bad for €10. There was a nearly full set of wooden moulding planes and a box of wooden planes from that size up to jointer size, all going for the same price, but I just don't have anything in mind to use them for and there's only so much I can carry on the luas :D But they're there today until 1600h if anyone else is interested...

Where was that? Looks a great deal for a tenner

At the Dublin Flea Market last Sunday. One of the stalls had two small boxes full of planes (one was a set of moulding planes, the other was a selection of wooden planes from jointer size to smoother size) as well as a small box of various screwdrivers and such. No chisels, which was a pity, I was hoping to find an ordinary one for a euro or two that I wouldn't mind destroying while learning to sharpen. And no router planes. Some interesting furniture design books in another stall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

anyone know of any timber nail suppliers? bulk suppliers? can find plenty of bolt suppliers but no nail ones, looking for small size flat head nails that are hard to get in large quantities

not so much a tool question, but before i start driving around trying to find a place, where would be a good place to look for piano hinges, to replace on a kitchen table?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sheriff_os

not so much a tool question, but before i start driving around trying to find a place, where would be a good place to look for piano hinges, to replace on a kitchen table?
    woodies sell them (I've seen them in the Bray branch). Woodworkers also stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Yea I bought some in wooden not too long ago.

There's a place I've been meaning to take a peek at for that kind of thing on Mary St. if you're in the city center MB, called Home Style DIY ltd (every time I walk past it's all hinges and drawer pulls and the like). Very near the Capel St. end of Mary St on the southern side of the street.

my wife bought some hinges in there on wednesday, actually. assuming i'm thinking of the same place; our neighbour was doing a clearout to get the house ready for sale, so we nabbed a few pieces of furniture that were otherwise going to go in the skip. she managed to get replacement hinges which matched the duff ones on one piece we grabbed, down to the same size, pattern, and screw holes.
    i just hadn't fancied the idea of carrying 3 foot long piano hinges home on the bus...

• Advertisement

BTW, its.co.uk have ultex diamond sharpening plates on sale at the moment for £10 each (coarse, medium, fine and extra fine). Got all four myself a fortnight ago:

2016-08-28-19.08.33a.jpg

They're not bad, they're as flat as my DMT plate and the channels don't seem to cause any rough running when sliding the chisel over the plate. They're cutting fast at the moment but I've not had enough time sharpening on them to break in the diamonds yet. But a full sharpening station for less than the cost of one DMT plate? That's worth a try.

Advertisement