Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MPB.com

• 06-05-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm thinking of buying a used camera from MPB.com - anyone used them before? Is their stock European or Grey or is it just pot luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Yeah I was wondering this myself, don't want to get hit with customs charges on stuff coming from the UK. Anyone know what's the story?
    Edit: There's a thread here, seems like it's all good: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058158681

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Used them a number of times. Excellent service. Good trade in prices with fair assessments.
    They have a Berlin depot since Brexit. Selection is not as good as UK site yet from what I have seen but hopefully will improve as they gather up stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As I posted in the other thread, I sold 5 lenses to them recently. Very efficient service that was completely hassle free. I got what I regard as a fair price for the lenses (older Sony A mount ones in great condition), considering I was selling to a reseller and didn't have to go though any of the rigmarole, uncertainty or risk of selling privately.

After they got them, I did a search of their site for the lenses - just to see what price they were charging for them. Obviously they added their markup, but the prices still seem fair.

It was funny then, because after doing the search, I was getting targeted ads on Boards and other sites from MPB trying to sell my own lenses back to me for more than I sold them :)

I'd definitely sell to them again, and if it was in the market for second-hand gear, they're the first place I'd look.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭amerden

I got a quote from them to buy some Canon gear from me, was very happy with the quote. They organized the gear to be collected, DHL collected from me on a Friday afternoon and they confirmed they received it on Monday morning.

Came back to me a few days later and informed me that they had under quoted me and informed me that I was to get more that the original amount, requested my bank details, money in my bank account next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

amerden wrote: »
    I got a quote from them to buy some Canon gear from me, was very happy with the quote. They organized the gear to be collected, DHL collected from me on a Friday afternoon and they confirmed they received it on Monday morning.

Came back to me a few days later and informed me that they had under quoted me and informed me that I was to get more that the original amount, requested my bank details, money in my bank account next day.

I had the opposite experience, I was looking to trade a few lenses one of which was in near perfect condition and was offered €750 for a canon 70-200mm mkII f2.8 (I sold it privately for €1200) .
    In total the difference between the mpb offer and the sale value of the lenses I had was about €2k ... For me it was better to sell privately.

they valued my hassleblad 35mm HC lens at €500 (I have had it 10yrs and originally purchased it for €3900) , it has taken less than 600 pictures (yes with hassleblad you can do a shutter count on the lenses too), even though I have sold my hassie I still have the lens and value it more than their €500....any takers? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Pity I didn't read the attached reviews before purchasing a "like new" macro lens from them. The AF on the lens is faulty -

https://www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/mpb-com

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Pity I didn't read the attached reviews before purchasing a "like new" macro lens from them. The AF on the lens is faulty -

This would indicate otherwise:

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.mpb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Certainly disappointing to get something that isn't as it should be. I hope they sort you out promptly.

Reading the reviews on that site, though, I'm not sure how helpful they are in objectively determining the quality of the service.

There's one where the person starts out saying "I've used mpb multiple times with a decent experience". And then gives them one star because they didn't respond to an email fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

I wonder if that is reviews for the US branch or something like that?
    Also, how long did it take for delivery? I ordered something last Monday with standard delivery and an Post tracking doesn't have it on their system even though it left Germany on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I wonder if that is reviews for the US branch or something like that?
    Also, how long did it take for delivery? I ordered something last Monday with standard delivery and an Post tracking doesn't have it on their system even though it left Germany on Saturday.

No problems with delivery. Ordered on the 6th, delivered on the 14th., tracking with An Post showed up on the 13th.

The lens body was in pristine condition, but motor sounds when in Manual mode, as if it was attempting to hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Oletimer

They are the ONLY photographic dealers I will use from now on, having had a bad experience with a North of Scotland dealer.

If you want to trade-in old gear, they will not charge you if that gear is rejected, for it to be sent back. Their packaging and delivery times are by far the best, by next day, via a very reliable courier, DPD. And any used gear purchased is as described. And their prices, that important buying factor, is by far the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

I've sold to them and the service and payment is quick enough, but the prices offered were a bit under what I was expected. Ok, they will add on mark up for themselves and thats faie enough, but I do go privately now and hope for better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Used them recently to buy a lens. Ordered on EU site. Lens arrived and am very happy with them. Would use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

How do they assess the quality of an item you might want to sell? Do you need to send it to them first? I have a few pieces I'd be happy to sell if its not too much hassle as they are not worth a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

You give a rating to any item you sell and they give you a quote. It is subject to change once they receive the item and assesses it themselves. Of the few items I have sold to them they agreed with the rating and the price was unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Bought a Nikon Z6 and 35mm lens marked as excellent condition. Both are like new, not a single sign of use.

The trade in price for a Canon 800d was fair but got a better price privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

I would chance selling stuff on adverts/donedeal or ebay (but be prepared to lose 10% to ebay's commission fee!!)

If no takers, then go to MPB.

Advertisement