Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The continuing story of DeVore's descent into woodcraft madness...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Fair play some nice stuff there no matter what level u get to you will still find fault with ur work but to be honest it a good thing it will ensure u keep improving. How goes the coffe mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Beautiful work Devore. Did you recycle copper for the pieces?
    It looks so well as an inlay against the wood.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh sh*t, I forgot the coffee mug...

In the end Charlie told me he would disown me if I used that Elm burr for the coffee mug because its just too nice and I have now got a plan to carve it up for some segment rings from the outer inch or two, some bangles from the middle inches and a nice single flower vase from the core! So its going to be put to maximum effect. Instead he gave me a lovely piece of elm (?) wood and we made the coffee mug sleeve from it. Unfortunately I didn't resin it in immediately and now the wood has shrunk! (maybe that's a good thing, it might have crushed the cup)... so I need to do some more work on the inside to get it back into shape. This is what it used to look like!

B3e1_x-IgAAP9zh.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Beautiful work Devore. Did you recycle copper for the pieces?
    It looks so well as an inlay against the wood.
    Nah, I should (and will in future) but I had it from a previous project and so used that... It looks terrific against the purpleheart and honestly, it broke my heart when I came down a few days before xmas and found it had split (my own stupid fault for bringing it into the house and keeping the heating on full blast over xmas).

I put it back out in the shed in the hope it would some how revert and amazingly it has!! The cracks are very hard to spot now and I might just try to hide them with some CA glue and sawdust from the remaining sanding...

This wood lark requires a lot of patience that I don't got. :)

DeVore wrote: »
    Nah, I should (and will in future) but I had it from a previous project and so used that... It looks terrific against the purpleheart and honestly, it broke my heart when I came down a few days before xmas and found it had split (my own stupid fault for bringing it into the house and keeping the heating on full blast over xmas).

I put it back out in the shed in the hope it would some how revert and amazingly it has!! The cracks are very hard to spot now and I might just try to hide them with some CA glue and sawdust from the remaining sanding...

This wood lark requires a lot of patience that I don't got. :)
    Btw Zebrano, next up is that large platter you very kindly gave me... I'm going to make a finger food platter from it and try my hand at some airbrushing (because ya'know, I couldn't just make things easy on myself :rolleyes: :) )

I'm gonna try some kind of big sun flower design on it, something bright and colourful, on the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hi Devore.

Excellent work, you have found a real talent in what you are doing.
    I bought a lathe about 2 weeks ago after getting sick of being jealous reading the woodcraft forum and watching YouTube videos!!! One of the biggest issues I have so far is sourcing timber. Can you give any advise on where best to source timber (I'm located in kilkenny, but wouldn't mind travelling a bit every now and again)

I've gotten some nice stuff from McQuillans but they don't have anything really on their website... I have also bought a Starter Box from this guy: http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/page72/rapidcart-55/
    and it was excellent... the only issue is you don't know what you are going to get, but you do get 10kg of it and shipping wasn't crippling either. I was very happy with mine... but not much in the way of bowl blanks. He does sell a LOT of other stuff though, but its always going to be a bit costly to ship from England if you are buying a lot. not too bad mind you.

Also you can try: http://shop.strahan.ie/Woodturning-Supplies-s/1514.htm

I've bought blanks from woodturner's meetings and from seminars, been gifted quite a bit (woodturners are genuinely lovely people I've found!) and quite frankly haven't had to buy much. I've scavenged some from local tree falls too, mind you that stuff has to be dried which takes time... this might be a good source for you in Kilkenny though!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Yea i have to agree that turners are genuinley nice people and are particularly helpful to newbies.
    Also wood comes from the strangesy places. Just last night i was in my wifes friends house and she appeared from one of the other rooms woth 2 big off cuts from the newel posts from when she got the house redecorated 4 years ago and just wanted rid.

Yeah, I have some pens and lamps from a solid mahogany door someone was throwing out and Charlie grabbed and cut up. Been dumpster diving too and have also just asked people for wood in their skip/front garden etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wow!!

• Advertisement

So, um... humble-brag... I took first place in the Novice section of the Nationals yesterday with this piece :)

19558667854_50983412dc_b.jpg
    I Met A Traveller From An Antique Land by Tom Murphy, on Flickr

Miiiight be a little pleased with myself :)

So, um... humble-brag... I took first place in the Novice section of the Nationals yesterday with this piece :)

19558667854_50983412dc_b.jpg
    I Met A Traveller From An Antique Land by Tom Murphy, on Flickr

Miiiight be a little pleased with myself :)

Gloat away, well deserved. That's excellent work

Would you mind giving a quick run down on your finishing process devore? What products you use and steps?

delaney001 wrote: »
    Would you mind giving a quick run down on your finishing process devore? What products you use and steps?
    Sure, happy to!

I use a few different processes depending on what I'm looking for. I have 3:
    1. Standard finish for spindle work (matt and gloss)
    2. Foodsafe for salad bowls
    3. The most complex ... pens.

1... For standard work I either use mineral oil for matt finish or I use carnauba wax on a Chestnut buffing wheel for gloss finishes. Oil is really easy and gives a nice matt finish, simple to apply and to reapply. Carnauba is very easy to get to a high shine finish BUT any amount of handling will wear that away. Its not a good idea to use for pens or even bowls. I use it for candlestick holders and lamps etc.
    I've also used some spray on laquer lately for quick and dirty finishes but not for anything competition level.

2. For foodsafe I've been using mineral oil or lately I've started playing with beeswax mixed with mineral oil. I put the beeswax in the microwave and melted it completely liquid. Then added about 20% mineral oil (I could probably have done less but it works with this mixure). Let it all cool and harden in something plastic (to make it easier to get out) and when it does, pop it out and apply it directly to the piece on the lathe. YOU DONT NEED MUCH... this is quite like carnauba, a little goes a long way and it needs friction to heat up and nicely melt into the piece and then buffs to a nice shine.
    Carnauba is food safe too btw but I prefer this finish. I cant speak for its longevity yet tho...

3. I use CA glue for pens. Sand up to 400 (600 if I'm feeling like it :) ) and then put a coat of CA on top.
    Put a folded up tissue under the piece, lightly pressing against the pen. Pour a liberal amount of CA and move from left to right in one slow steady motion. Don't go back and forth. Let it dry until its dry to the touch (about 2-5 minutes).
    Sand at 400 again until its smooth (no shiny valleys in the finish.. when you do it you'll see what I mean). Then glue again, and sand again. Do this 4-5 times.
    The trick is after the last sanding... use Mylands Buffing Cream (I hear you can use Jif or any sort of scouring cream but I haven't tried it). The cream will bring up the glass like finish and will probably take two decent applications and buffings to really do the trick but its a terrific finish for pens as they are going to get a LOT of handling.

Two warnings about CA:
    A. Its nasty stuff for eyes and lungs. Use a respirator if you have one or ventilate VERY WELL.

B. It reacts chemically to form the bond and it does so exo-thermically... meaning it gives out heat (and lots of it!) when it bonds. If you pour CA glue onto a ball of twine, it will go on fire. It will smoke when poured into a tissue. Just be careful about it around the workshop.

I've only just bought myself a Chestnut buffing wheel system and already I really like it! They run about 50 quid and are well worth it.

Finally a word about sanding. For a great finish, you have to really do a good sanding prep. A couple of things I've learned the hard way.

1. the most important sanding grit is 120. don't move on from it until its really well done... spend time and effort here and you will save 10 times as much later.

2. Slooooow the lathe down. I sand at 350rpm... I use to turn the lathe up to 2000 to try and get it done quicker!

3. After 240 or 320 put on a coat of sanding sealer (I've cut my sanding sealer down 50% with sanding sealer thinners btw.. ). This brings us any of the imperfections and you get to see them then rather than later! This is where having done a good job at 120 will pay dividends!

4. Power sanding is GOOOD. Get a nice handy portable drill. A Simon Hope power sanding set and a few bags of sanding disks. Its a little expensive but it makes sanding SO MUCH LESS A CHORE! The finish is also better as you avoid the nasty circular sanding lines from hand sanding.

So, there you have it. Any questions, just ask!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2. Slooooow the lathe down. I sand at 350rpm... I use to turn the lathe up to 2000 to try and get it done quicker!
    interesting; the only reason i'd usually slowed down is to prevent heat buildup.

Heat kills sandpaper (and fingertips! OW!).... the faster the lathe is going the less you can press the sandpaper to it because of heat, and sandpaper needs to be pressed to the wood to work :)

I wasn't a convert until I started using slower speeds and it works much better for me (and much less painful! :) )
    I still power sand though, because life is just too freakin' short to hand sand every sanding ring out :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so, try some CA, or bin? as you can see, i've not invested an awful lot of time into it so far; it's maybe 7" in diameter and was just going to be a simple bowl. it's not obvious in the second shot, but the crack runs right the way across.

367534.jpg
    367535.jpg

ok...

1. You haven't invested much time in it and its not exactly expensive timber. It wouldn't be a sin to bin it.

2. If you cant fix it, flaunt it. Drill 4 holes either side of the crack and lace it up with leather (I have some you can use if you like) or even cut a segment out of it when you are done and then stick lines of copper across the gap or any other sort of artistic affectation!

cheers, my main impetus for binning would have been personal safety, obviously. it's not a colossal chunk, but the crack runs far enough through it that there wouldn't be much holding it on by the time i hollowed out the bowl. i suspect it is going to become expensive firewood.

unfortunately i missed out on collecting the entire spoils of a 40 foot beech tree recently felled. the owner said to a workman at his house to 'take some if he wanted' and within half an hour it was all gone, a week before i was able to make it up there.

Yes, safety is a factor.. What I've done before was to wrap it in a couple of wraps of duct tape, good and tight, just to give it that extra bit of stability and support. This has worked for me but your mileage may vary! Do it at your own risk and wear a face shield :)

• Advertisement

anyone ever tried an old microwave to dry green wood? you read great things about it online, but maybe the stories reporting failure are lower down the google rankings...

anyone ever tried an old microwave to dry green wood? you read great things about it online, but maybe the stories reporting failure are lower down the google rankings...

I tried it once to see. It works to an extent but you still get a little drying and warping after fine turning.

Do it and see, you've very little to lose.

haven't tried it myself... must get a second hand MW and give it a shot... pretty tired of my bowls warping after I hollow them but it could be just the wood moving as much as drying.

were your blanks green?
    i have seen minor warping in 40 year old pieces of wood...

They varied from "unknown but seems wet" to "supposedly kiln dried". Two pieces of ash I made bowls from were 20 years in Charlies workshop and still warped pretty noticeably.... :(

DeVore - this was the top bit of the branch you saw on saturday:

368748.jpg

That's savage! Lovely figure in apple wood...

yep, it's lovely wood to work with too as i mentioned. much better than the sycamore i was just working on which had a fierce tendency to torn end grain.

i didn't put any finish on that piece above, btw. it's so irregular, whatever i used would be a mess, unless i maybe sprayed it. and i've no spray.

Is there sanding sealer on it?

I would recommend wiping mineral oil on it, it will drink it up but a few (light) coats will leave it looking terrific imho. Multiple light coats, rather than one big dousing.

ps: A set of Chestnut buffing wheels are also very good. 50 quid I think for a set and they really improve finishes, especially on pieces like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, I have the Beall system, imported from the US a good few years ago before Chestnut brought out theirs. It's pretty much identical, almost a knock-off even.

I find it works really well with my favourite finish for big items, Organoil Hi-Speed Finishing Oil. You sand as normal, then wet sand with an extremely fine wet-and-dry. The oil forms a really fine 'slurry' which fills any remaining grain and hardens due to the heat generated. A really nice, natural feeling finish, and not too shiny or 'fake' looking.

Advertisement