Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

newbie Q

Options
  • 10-04-2013 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm a heavy smoker and have been thinking of trying an e-cig. A mate I work with uses one that he refills from a little bottle, he doesn't know what it's called nor does it have any markings on it but he's getting a hit that's keeping him off the cigars,so it must be good.((He got it as a christmas prezzie) From reading the faq the choices seem to be vast. I'd rather not just buy a cheapie over the counter just in case it's crap and turns me off and the idea of having to go and buy cartridges doesn't appeal either,too much like shopping for smokes.
    So, is the type that he uses called something specific, Sorry if that's been asked millions of times before, but I've got to start somewhere,the faq made my brain hurt,sorry faq writer:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'm sure the experts will be along in a minute, but allow me to offer a less-than-expert opinion.
    There are the disposable e-cigarettes you see for sale in some shops. These aren't really worth a sh1te, though some people have found them useful in getting off the smellies.
    There are the high-end options which a lot of people on this forum are fond of, and they are the best performers. To my mind (and I have used them and am contemplating buying one) it's best to leave that level of expenditure until further down the line, when you're committedly off the smellies and happy vaping, and can make an informed decision about exactly what you want.
    The mid-range starter options are things like Kangers and imists. There's a good deal on at e-smokeireland.eu currently where you can get two batteries, three exchangeable tanks (contain the liquid), atomisers (turn the liquid into vapour) and tips (go in your mouth!), and three types of liquid, along with a charger, all for thirty euro. That's three packs of fags - a not substantial outlay that will give you something reasonable to experience vaping with for a few weeks while you learn more about it.
    If I were you, that's what I would go for.
    (For the record, I started with a more expensive imist, and have now switched to the kangers, but am plotting an expensive mod and atomiser option now, seven months after quitting the smellies.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

dubtom wrote: »
    So, is the type that he uses called something specific?

Probably.

Does the setup look like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

That's great Cavehill Red,thanks for the advise,I'll check it out.
    Yea similar grindle but all black.

Like this?

Cigar-sized?

Yep, looks just like that,bar the lettering.

• Advertisement

What Grindle has linked to in the first pic are CE4 clearomisers attached to ego-T batteries. That would be a pretty standard beginner set-up. The deal I referred to is pretty similar, with a T3 clearomiser (the combined atomiser/tank/tip section) attached to an ego-T instead of a CE4.
    Don't get frightened! Some of the names can be a bit intimidating! Basically, the ego-T is a very standard format of entry-level battery, and lots of things can attach to the top. My imists had the same battery type, and I can attach my kanger tanks to them if I choose.
    A lot of beginner options will be based on the ego-T battery. What you get on top of it is really up to you, and the biggest choice will relate to which type of atomiser. Most of the beginner options, like the kangers or CE4s, will burn out after a few weeks, and need to be replaced. Generally you can replace just a part of the unit rather than all of it (the atomiser bit).
    So there will be ongoing costs to maintain vaping that goes beyond buying the liquids, but it still generally works out a fraction of the cost of smoking (never mind the health benefits.)
    That kanger deal on e-smoke, for example, should keep you going for weeks, and with a purchase of some additional liquid for a few quid and extra atomisers or kanger tanks for a few more, you could be going indefinitely for the cost of three packs of smellies and an ongoing cost measured in cents per day.

Sounds like it could be an imist, Grindle. They have ego-T type batteries without the branding.

Yea looks just like,had a look on the site you mentioned cavehill and I'll think I'll give it a go,can't go wrong with the price. Cheers.

Pick up a few of these while you're trying things out: Boge carto, choose low resistance in the drop down menu. Green Hornet might have a hernia if he sees one more newbie buy a clearomiser and no mention of a Boge. :-)
    You have to drip juice into these to fill them up or use this method:

If you're choosing the Kanger Value Kit I'd get the low resistance replacement heads for whichever Kanger tank you choose as well. Warmer vape, more flavour & vapour. Although you might like a cooler vape. Who knows?

Glad to be of assistance!
    Give the FAQ another go when you get started and a lot more of it will make sense to you then.
    And don't forget to come here for advice. This board (and the Irish Vapers facebook page) have taught me everything I know about vaping, and there isn't a question you could possibly have that someone here won't have an answer for.
    There are loads of Irish retailers online, I've bought from a good few of them at this point, and I find that they all go way beyond normal standards of customer service to a man/woman. They believe in their products and sell them at a good price across the board. There is a vaping community has developed that is extremely supportive to new vapers. Don't be afraid to make use of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I second and third buying some Boge cartomisers. Also I think those tank jobies that come with the iMist give no way near as good as hit as the other clearo option presented above.

In my honest opinion, get a Kanger Twist Start Kit and with the Kanger T2 Clearomisers + a 5 pack or cartomisers and a e-liquid sample pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I think Vaperus offer a clearo/carto option actually. I think you get the batteris and a sample of both. Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

I think Vaperus offer a clearo/carto option actually. I think you get the batteris and a sample of both. Good idea.

Bout feckin time ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Think this is it? The website doesn't work very well on the iPhone....

http://www.vaperus.ie/basic-vaping-kits/230-clearo-kit.html

Yes GH that's it.

Two problems with this Kit though in order of importance.
    1) Only one bottle of juice included. For a starter vaper you need at least three flavours to find one you like preferably five.
    2) Clearomisers are Kanger T3 which are more prone to issues than the T2 in my opinion.
    edit: 3) dual coil cartos (sorry mr.chrome I did notice that too and forgot to add it to my list of criticisms)

3. Dual coil cartomizers?

Dual coils can't work well on weak batteries unless you're some type of perfume-farting magician.

grindle wrote: »
    Dual coils can't work well on weak batteries unless you're some type of perfume-farting magician.

Yep, even if their 1.5ohm, still think its a good idea though, maybe 1 clearo and 2 boges and maybe even two 5mls.

Two clearos (one lr one sr) Two sr boge Two lr bogs and 3 x 5ml juice. 2x eGo Twist 650mah or 2 x eGo 650 mah. Plus charger and carry case. Something like that For under 40 or 50 euro = my ideal starter kit.

I ended up ordering the Kanger twist for my self and the kanger starter for the Mother, I had intended on two starters but esmoke ran out. Happy enough though,I have a better idea of what I need thanks to you lads. It also helps that esmoke are just up the road from me. All my family are smokers,I'd guess they'll all have a go when they see me puffing away.Thanks again all for the help.

• Advertisement

dubtom wrote: »
    I ended up ordering the Kanger twist for my self and the kanger starter for the Mother, I had intended on two starters but esmoke ran out. Happy enough though,I have a better idea of what I need thanks to you lads. It also helps that esmoke are just up the road from me. All my family are smokers,I'd guess they'll all have a go when they see me puffing away.Thanks again all for the help.

Convert as many as you can :-) great to hear :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

MuMkOmv.jpg

304.gif304.gif304.gif304.gif
    304.gif304.gif304.gif304.gif

12 hours since my last fag, A week ago I'd have laughed in your face if you suggested that I could go that long without a smoke and not put on 12lbs or kill someone, but it's been effortless. It doesn't feel like I'm trying to quit, actually it just feels like I've swapped a very bad habit for one that doesn't cost so much and doesn't make me smell so bad. It's rumored I may be able to breath better in a while too. I'm chuffed,and the wife starts tomorrow.

HI all, been off the smokes a week now and happily using the kanger. I got this kit from vaperus a few days ago http://www.vaperus.ie/basic-vaping-kits/230-clearo-kit.html for spares basically and it included 3 duel coil cartomisers. Now I know their basically tanks that need to be filled but I have no idea how to use them with my T2 and the T3's included in the kit. They don't seem to screw in any where, not that I can figure out anyway, any help on that.. again.
    BTW, the initial kit I got from e-smoke is a T2, if that is, the T2 is top fed by removing the mouth piece, my wife got the same kit a few days later and it has a T3, that is,bottom fed. I find a big difference in the quality of the vape between the two, the T2, my preference,gives a smoother vape but with a nice throat hit even at the lowest setting on the battery. I find with the T3 I have to jack up the battery to get a good throat hit, but it's not as smooth, in fact it can be a bit 'burny'.Overall it's been a good first week, I'm vaping as much as I smoked,which was a lot, but I'm feeling better in my self.

The cartos aren't used with those tanks, you fill them up like this:

The ones you have (being dual-coils) will be severely underpowered by the batteries. Dual-coils need good VV batteries with a high-ish amp-limit to run properly. The heat will be kinda be there, the vapour not so much.
    BUT
    Mewso uses them and they work for him, so maybe they'll work for you.
    BUT
    Once you're disappointed by them go buy some Boge single-coil cartos if you want to try a decent carto (available everywhere), or the Kanger cartos (available at thebestshop.eu) get good reviews as well but I've yet to try one.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

They are cartomisers as apposed to the T2/T3 clearomisers they screw onto the battery and are filled by taking out the white bung on the top. Usually better to get a drip tip, its easier than taking the bung out each time

Ahh, I see,thanks for the replies.

Advertisement