Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of roundover bit would make this profile

• 06-05-2020 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Trying to match an original skirting in the house but cant seem to find the right router bit.
    It seems like a roundover or bullnose but im not sure if they would give me the same profile.
    Picture in the next comment as the app wont allow you to include pictures in rhe original post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Pic attached

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I would say a combination of 2 bits. One for the rounding over, and one for the v groove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It looks like a bullnose profile to me. Have a search on www.wealdentool.com and you should find it. Best done on a router table with a featherboard unless you have a spindle.

I doubt you can get a single bit to do both the vee groove and the roundover.

You can get a roundover bit with a square groove that you could use.

You could re grind the square shoulder for a vee groove, but its tricky.

You could get the bit profile specially made, but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

kadman wrote: »
    I doubt you can get a single bit to do both the vee groove and the roundover.

You can get a roundover bit with a square groove that you could use.

You could re grind the square shoulder for a vee groove, but its tricky.

You could get the bit profile specially made, but expensive.
    Yeah its the little groove thats throwing me.
    Ill try a bullnose and see how it looks

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    Yeah its the little groove thats throwing me.
    Ill try a bullnose and see how it looks

Like i said, its going to take two router bits, or regrind the square shoulder roundover bit to suit a vee groove......or spindle

If you can score the boards with a 45 degree cut using a table saw to make the groove, you'd finish the profile with a roundover bit in the router. You'd even manage it with a circular saw or tracksaw if you set up correctly.

The first thing I thought to myself was just how easily that would be replicated using a plough plane and suitable cutters. I'm guessing you need a good few feet of skirting though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would a scratch bead, using a piece of wood and a screw similar to the one in the picture make the v groove

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Would you have a photo of the side profile ? Would help if knew the thickness of the board as well, could guess the radius then

You could make a perfect scratch stock tool to do the profile, if thats the route

you want to take for a small amount of material. Large amounts need a powertool

input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dathi

Thats not the same as a roundover profile,:)

I think this might be nearer
    https://tjomahony.ie/06fw22554-1.html Well actually neither is this:D

512621.jpg

Advertisement