Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a motorbike from europe

Options
  • 04-05-2021 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Does anyone know a shipping group that would pick up a bike from europe (Germany) and deliver to dublin and would there be tax due on the import ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wouldn't it be a left-hand drive? ;)

At a minimum, you would have to pay VRT and motor tax. If you reclaim the VAT in th country of origin or if it is a new bike, VAT would also b due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Coming into summer sure depending on the bike it would be a grand road trip !

Vrt on a motorcycle is €1 for every cc.

But if the bike is hear enough new you may have vat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

6 months or under 6k isn't it..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

€2 for the first 350cc and then €1 for the rest, 10% off for each year since registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

ok thanks for the answer guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Teothican wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Does anyone know a shipping group that would pick up a bike from europe (Germany) and deliver to dublin and would there be tax due on the import ?

Jarvis Transport will collect in EU and deliver here : I've used them myself.

https://www.facebook.com/jarvistransireland/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Calculate the VRT here: https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

On a mid 90's VFR 750 it came to around €100, older bikes are fairly cheap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Riding a bike back from Germany could be great fun over a week or so.

Cheap flight (eventually) and your gear in some soft panniers and away you go. Plan your daily route and away you go. Just stop off wherever you want and use an accommodation app to check in for the night.

If the weather is decent it could be great fun.

Ferry from Cherborg to Rosslare with a bike is €100 for the random date I put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Riding a bike back from Germany could be great fun over a week or so.

Cheap flight (eventually) and your gear in some soft panniers and away you go. Plan your daily route and away you go. Just stop off wherever you want and use an accommodation app to check in for the night.

If the weather is decent it could be great fun.

Bliss !!

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Bliss !!

The idea of a week away from everyone, no lockdowns, picking up a new bike and having plenty of time to take the scenic way home sounds like heaven at the moment! In fact, you wouldn't want to buy it in northern france, you'd be looking at northern italy or bavaria purely for the longer drive home

This is all very romantic, but what if said new (to you?) bike breaks down?

Victor wrote: »

No way. Bikes have motors in them really

This is news to me.

No way. Bikes have motors in them really

This is news to me.
    My point being that a known entity is different to an unknown entity.

If you don't already have European recovery on your insurance policy buy European recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Right, Victor's not invited to the boards euro trip extravaganza!

And if I step out my front door with no jacket , it could rain.

Lord take me now. This world is too much

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

And if I step out my front door with no jacket , it could rain.

Lord take me now. This world is too much

I got soaked yesterday! :-)

Literally any bike can break down. But yeah, recovery on the insurance covers europe usually

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Someone THAT risk adverse probably wouldn't ride a bike in the first place! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

when do you pay VRT on the bike does the Revenue get in contact with the buyer or do you simply go on there site and pay ? also when it comes to the license plate how do i acquire a new one for the irish roads and where do i register the new plate/Fee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You go to the NCT centre that does VRT, and pay them there, you will be given a number plate number and you can get one made up afterwards.
    The motortax is paid to the County council through Motortax.ie and once you pay the logbook is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Teothican wrote: »
    when do you pay VRT on the bike does the Revenue get in contact with the buyer or do you simply go on there site and pay ? also when it comes to the license plate how do i acquire a new one for the irish roads and where do i register the new plate/Fee ?

You have to book an appointment with your local VRT centre. They would inspect it: model, make all matches and that its above the 6000km. You pay your money to them there- begrudgingly - then go online to tax it and you'll receive the log book in the post.
    You will be given the reg number and you can go to a local motor factors or order a new plate online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Technically a brand new bike is also an 'unkown entity'.... #justsayin'

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This thread seems to have come along at a very appropriate time for me. Have been contemplating getting back on a bike after a good few years absence and was wonder how the import duty worked out importing a bike, so thanks to those for the info.
    Now I hate hijacking a thread, but..
    Does anyone know how it works if you build a bike from scratch.
    For example, importing an unused non registered frame and building it from there?
    Is there a duty or what is the procedure for registration when it's finished.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This thread seems to have come along at a very appropriate time for me. Have been contemplating getting back on a bike after a good few years absence and was wonder how the import duty worked out importing a bike, so thanks to those for the info.
    Now I hate hijacking a thread, but..
    Does anyone know how it works if you build a bike from scratch.
    For example, importing an unused non registered frame and building it from there?
    Is there a duty or what is the procedure for registration when it's finished.

Still considered a vehicle and would be considered new, the frame or chassis is the vehicle*, since they can't verify the mileage . Otherwise everyone would have taken a new vehicle apart and brought it over on a trailer.

*it's really the VIN plate which is why so many people are driving modern Landrovers and other cars on classic plates, while they are supposed to swap the new parts to the old chassis they just swap the VIN from the old one to the new one.

I get what your saying, but if I was to go down that route I would have receipts for lots of separate individual items.
    I suppose they would just add it all up and charge as new, with the value based on receipts.
    Might phone them and see what way they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

The OP wanted to know about shipping a bike from Germany, so unlike most of the posts here I'll add something of relevance. Try Overlanders in Gorey, they have a base in Memmingen that they used for shipping pre Covid. Despite what some of the people here think about riding back from Germany, don't do it. Covid has closed a lot of places (B&B's Hotels etc etc) and a roadtrip would not be fun.

The OP wanted to know about shipping a bike from Germany, so unlike most of the posts here I'll add something of relevance. Try Overlanders in Gorey, they have a base in Memmingen that they used for shipping pre Covid. Despite what some of the people here think about riding back from Germany, don't do it. Covid has closed a lot of places (B&B's Hotels etc etc) and a roadtrip would not be fun.

No joke not being able to find somewhere to stay while getting soaked in the rain..

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I get what your saying, but if I was to go down that route I would have receipts for lots of separate individual items.
    I suppose they would just add it all up and charge as new, with the value based on receipts.
    Might phone them and see what way they say.

You would have a chassis with zero km, so it's considered a new vehicle. You have to register it within 30 days of import of the chassis. So if you import a BMW S1000rr chassis you'll be taxed on a bringing in a new BMW S1000rr, what you stick on after is irrelevant.

As I said if you could do what you are saying then the boat would be full of car shells being imported and brought to the NCT or VRT inspection. Are many people bringing in vehicle shells?

Advertisement