Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New bin collecting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

sari wrote: »
    So I'm wondering about this 35kg and how likely it would be to go over it?? 2 adult 1 toddler still in nappies and our ashes from fire need to go in bin.
    We would have put our bin out once every 4 weeks and it would be full to the brim, pretty heavy but no idea on weight. Might just go with mc graths if we'd be over the 35kg???

Wondering the same here. Anyone have a rough idea weight of a regular bin.

All I can see on barna site is a €2.50 surcharge if overweight. Not enough of a charge to make mcgraths cheaper if only going out once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

sari wrote: »
    So I'm wondering about this 35kg and how likely it would be to go over it?? 2 adult 1 toddler still in nappies and our ashes from fire need to go in bin.
    We would have put our bin out once every 4 weeks and it would be full to the brim, pretty heavy but no idea on weight. Might just go with mc graths if we'd be over the 35kg???

I asked the guy about this when I was signing up. He asked me:
    1. "Do you put ashes in the bin?" Yes.
    2. "Do you compress/ stand on your bin to push it down?" Yes
    3. "How often do you normally put it out?" About every 4 weeks
    "Then your bin is DEFINITELY over 35kg." He said they have bins which have been up on 100kg. Ashes are very heavy, and it'd be no problem going over 35kg. I asked how the extra €2.50 will work, he said "For the moment" if your bin is over 35kg, you'll be charged the extra €2.50, but eventually there'll be a charge per extra kg. (I'm on the e-pay option).

I presume if you're there when the bin is being lifted, you can check with the collector what the weight of the bin is, there must be some weighing mechanism on the lorry.

By the way, although I haven't yet got my bin chipped, I left my rubbish out last Friday without a bag, and got it lifted for free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Thanks a mil for that seems barna is still cheaper if I put my rubbish out every second week and recycling once a month it's €80 for 3 months. So will sign up for them all out of bags now

Anyone else think the brown bins sound small...25l? One cut of grass would easily fill it without adding other waste to it

barneyrub wrote: »
    Anyone else think the brown bins sound small...25l? One cut of grass would easily fill it without adding other waste to it

I suppose they're thinking of it in terms of household rather than garden waste, i.e., food scraps, etc. The large 240 litre bin wouldn't do me for grass cuttings.
    A word of warning, I don't know where you live, but check here on the county council website to see if you live in an area where brown bins are needed, it's mostly only those living within towns that need them.

• Advertisement

Ya we are in an area that needs one!

Guess you're right. We have somewhere for our grass cuttings anyway

Thanks

So I'm about to sign up to barna online and just wondering how I top up if I don't want to pay by direct debit? It doesn't seem to give me an option to create a username or password to log into the ebilling thing so I can top up online in the future. Any idea how this works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

There's no way you'd get any garden waste in the brown bin. I'd prefer a 240l one.

I signed up to Barna maybe a month ago and got the bins, but no paperwork/pin number. I rang and left a message last week but they haven't got back to me yet.

There's no way you'd get any garden waste in the brown bin. I'd prefer a 240l one.

I signed up to Barna maybe a month ago and got the bins, but no paperwork/pin number. I rang and left a message last week but they haven't got back to me yet.
    Did you get anything from them since? Ours were left today with nothing... No leaflets/documents at all.

And the brown bin is v small. How are people doing that have theirs already?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

What plan is everyone on? I still haven't signed up with everyone as I haven't filled my bin since the start of this thread!
    Finally got a look at Greenstars, which to be fair doesn't look too bad. But I noticed in small writing after selecting the 'Standard Plan' (which is €129/year) that it says COST PER KG: €0.255, Obviously this means they're charging per weight and the €129 is just for having the privilege of having GREENSTAR on the side of your bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Did you get anything from them since? Ours were left today with nothing... No leaflets/documents at all.

And the brown bin is v small. How are people doing that have theirs already?

No, still no paperwork/account number from Barna. I put the blue & brown bins out today and they took them. No credit on the account though.

I've a dog and only two of us in the house, so the brown bin is enough for our food waste, but it's pretty small for a bigger family.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Can I put ashes in the Brown bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Items for placing in the Food Waste ( Brown )bin include:

Garden Waste i.e. grass cuttings, hedge clippings, etc
    Food scraps (including cooked/uncooked meat, fish and poultry)
    Shellfish and Bones
    Eggs and Egg Shells
    Egg Boxes
    Dairy Products (Cheese, Yoghurt, etc)
    Soups and Sauces
    Table and Plate Scrapings
    Fruit peelings
    Vegetable peelings
    Breads
    Cakes and Pastries
    Cereals
    Pasta, Rice, Dough
    Teabags
    Coffee Grinds and Paper Filters
    Biscuits
    Food Soiled Napkins and Paper Towels
    Wet Cardboard and Paper
    Food Soiled Pizza Boxes
    Hair (Human and Pet hair)
    Saw Dust
    Dog Foul

No, still no paperwork/account number from Barna. I put the blue & brown bins out today and they took them. No credit on the account though.

I've a dog and only two of us in the house, so the brown bin is enough for our food waste, but it's pretty small for a bigger family.

Seems really odd. What if you never top up your account? Which you can't if no account number!

Now have to go looking for my details off them. Why are so many companies incompetent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lush Puppy

Just wondering do the monthly price options include the price of bin per lift or is this an additional fee every few months on top of what it costs to put each bin out? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Barna are an absolute joke - signed up nearly three weeks ago - got an automated confirmation email but have heard nothing from them since. Have tried to contact them by phone on numerous occasions and each time could only leave a message but they never got back to me. I am left now with bins full of rubbish and recycling and no way of getting rid of them.

Gonna leave bins out tomorrow morning and see what happens. . . .

Barna are an absolute joke - signed up nearly three weeks ago - got an automated confirmation email but have heard nothing from them since. Have tried to contact them by phone on numerous occasions and each time could only leave a message but they never got back to me. I am left now with bins full of rubbish and recycling and no way of getting rid of them.

How did you get on, quinnthebin? I've left my old (un-chipped) bins out for the last few weeks and no bother, and left recycling stuff out in black bin bags, and it's all been collected. My wife asked the binmen about it last week, and the guy said he has no idea what's going on, just leave it out and they'll collect.

I got an Easy payment Card from Barna about 4 weeks ago, and I finally got my bins from them yesterday (5 and a half weeks after signing-up with them!), but there's still nothing shown on my account. Like quinnthebin, I rang and left messages and called in to the office in Wine St Car Park, but basically got no-one who could tell me what's happening. I paid them €50, and one person rang me once and left a message, in which they told me there's €44.60 credit on my account. I have no idea where that amount comes from, when they took €5.40 off my account or why, and I haven't been able to get back in touch with them since to find out more (no answers to phone calls or emails).

What a joke of a company!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Should try that. Have a wheely bin full of pedal bin bags, that I was going to stuff into two heavy duty bin bags and bring down to Greenstar.

In a shared house and none of us want to commit to a standing order or DD at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

3 Weeks? Count yourself lucky....I signed up at the start of Feb and still no sign of the new bins.....and having the same luck as you when it comes to getting hold of them.

We got our buns from Barna fairly quick....about 10 days after signing up. But no paperwork since even though they said it would be this week!

• Advertisement

Didn't leave bin out last week in the end. Managed to get in touch with barna yesterday. In fairness the girl i spoke to was lovely and helpful. Gave me a reference number to put on our existing bin. Left it out and it was collected This morning without any problem. 2 new Bins delivered today.
    Existing bins will prob be modified to use as compost bins.

What are people doing with their old bins?? I now have 5 bins here including the compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

is anyone's barna balance in order, I spoke to them last week and was told it will be a few days before the correct balance shows up. I topped up 20 and that is my balance even thought I had to pay 40 the first time as a min payment. I got my new bins last week after a 2 and a half week wait. Not too bad considering the amount of people signing up at the moment. I was told once you have an account make sure to leave a note on the bin if you haven't got the new ones yet.

bennyc wrote: »
    is anyone's barna balance in order

Do you have to speak to them or is there an online account facility - or is that just wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

Signed up with greenstar couple of months ago, had a couple of refuse collections & both times inc today I've had to phone greenstar as the truck collects the neighbours but leaves mine, then the driver has the brass neck to say the bin wasn't left out on time, they collect on Thursday my bin is left out Wednesday evening. They're an absolute disgrace& I'm going back to Barna @ least they collect on the day they're suppose too.
    Greenstar moto "Setting the Standard", well if greenstar's standard is the norm then we'll be knee deep in rubbish before long. It's a f#@*in joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Should try that. Have a wheely bin full of pedal bin bags, that I was going to stuff into two heavy duty bin bags and bring down to Greenstar.

In a shared house and none of us want to commit to a standing order or DD at present.

Well I don't know which of them picked it up, but one of them did.

:D

Still hopefully plan though to drop any future bags down to the site though. Not sure you would get away with a free lift to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Used to be reliable but having problems lately with them. Had 3 mobile Nr's for them, now nobody answers and the 1890 number - nobody answers. bins still sitting there.

Anyone having problems with barna online acc system.

We finally got our account information by post and set up online. I put some money on the account. But today it's changed, tells me I have €x credit left but no information of lifts or what the money deducted was for. Is it a problem or still a work in progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Anyone having problems with barna online acc system.

We finally got our account information by post and set up online. I put some money on the account. But today it's changed, tells me I have €x credit left but no information of lifts or what the money deducted was for. Is it a problem or still a work in progress?

Today is the first day I have got past the LOG IN page as they have had problems with their system since day 1. I am showing outstanding when I know that I am not!! I cannot access lift details either but have been promised they will look into it.

I can tell you that they have taken money for Feb/March and put everybody on a start period of 1st April(no joke) so if you are showing a balance of €10.32, for example, it is for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

This is why I didn't want this crap. Once you put your money in the acct they can do what they like with it whether they take your bins or not. And typical of any 'new system' on this island it's a shambles. I want to go back to buying bags or tags. Pay as you go, simple and convenient and no worries about the state of my 'bin balance'.

Still no sign of a brown bin from greenstar. Doesn't seem like this regulation is really going to be enforced. Which is good because it's unnecessary. I'm not a hotel or restaurant, I don't need a whole bin for wasted food.

Advertisement