Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseas Player Watch

• 14-08-2013 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be worth starting a thread devoted to the Irish players who are playing overseas, just so there's somewhere to post about their progress. The most obvious names are Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro), Niall Morris (Leicester Tigers), and Jamie Hagan (London Irish), but there's plenty more scattered around France and England, Wales, Scotland and even Australia.

Tonight, Rotherham Titans are playing Worcester Warriors in a pre-season match and former Munster player Sean Scanlon starts at full-back and former Leinster and Doncaster Knights winger Michael Keating starts on the right wing. Updates are here
    http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/10612716.Warriors_v_Rotherham/
    The starting scrum-half, Charlie Mulchrone is also Irish qualified and seems to be highly rated. Here's some highlights of him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hoping this'll be a strong year for the Irish in the premiership this year.

The other starting players over there would be the likes of TOL, iHumph, Shane Monahan and Ian Whitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Championship generally has a few of our gang knocking around who were released by academies. The man I keep an eye on is Eamon Sheridan at Rotherham. I'd be confident he'll be back at a province at some point in the future. He's 108kg and can play 11, 12, 13 and 14. Bagged himself 8 tries last season.

Not sure he'll ever be top level but would definitely add depth and another option for teams in the Pro12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Robin Copeland was pretty good for Cardiff last season,I don't know whether him or Pretorius are first choice though.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Robin Copeland was pretty good for Cardiff last season,I don't know whether him or Pretorius are first choice though.

Pretorius is club captain but is injured more often than not. Given the fact that Copeland can play lock, flank or 8, he'll see plenty of game time again. He seems to have settled very well in Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Championship generally has a few of our gang knocking around who were released by academies. The man I keep an eye on is Eamon Sheridan at Rotherham. I'd be confident he'll be back at a province at some point in the future. He's 108kg and can play 11, 12, 13 and 14. Bagged himself 8 tries last season.

Not sure he'll ever be top level but would definitely add depth and another option for teams in the Pro12.

Sheridan is with London Irish now.

• Advertisement

Sheridan is with London Irish now.

Ta. I thought I recalled something about him moving to a bigger side but when I Googled him the Rotherham link came up.

Will be watching him closely. He has only turned 24 this summer so plenty of time for him to show his quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Any footage floating about of Sexton's preseason game?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

cant understand why copeland hasnt been signed back to ireland

lurtz wrote: »
    cant understand why copeland hasnt been signed back to ireland

Well, he only joined Cardiff last year on a 2 year deal so there hasn't been an opportunity to sign him back, really, and I don't think anyone wanted to gamble on him on the back of his performances in the Championship.

Also, there's the possibility he won't want to come back. He seems to be enjoying himself in Cardiff going on his involvement in their jersey release and looks to be enjoying his rugby too. He's playing most of his rugby in the back row which isn't exactly a weak area in Irish rugby either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hoping this'll be a strong year for the Irish in the premiership this year.

The other starting players over there would be the likes of TOL, iHumph, Shane Monahan and Ian Whitten.

Is Caldwell not still a starter for Bath? Stringer should get some gametime too
    And there's Tommy Hayes and Steenson for Exeter.

Not sure if Mushy Buckley and Andress start for their respective clubs, but they're still over there.
    And I'm pretty sure Barnes signed for some English team, can't remember who... be interesting to see how he gets on.

And are Dave and Timmy Ryan still playing in pro12? Not sure about that.... and is Fogarty is playing in the Top 14 next season? Lots of Irish players abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭oneshot0kill

Does Ireland pick overseas players for the national team if they aren't signed within Ireland itself? Sexton will be a big loss if so and Hagan himself would help with the tighthead depth issue.

daniigan wrote: »
    Does Ireland pick overseas players for the national team if they aren't signed within Ireland itself? Sexton will be a big loss if so and Hagan himself would help with the tighthead depth issue.

Yes, they do, although it certainly massively hampers your selection if you're abroad. Sexton is too important to be snubbed though. If you're uncapped and playing abroad, you can almost forget about it for the senior squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭oneshot0kill

Cheers. Having a stint in England will be good for the props when it comes to the scrummaging department. Could be good in the long run while the academy props get some extra exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Buer wrote: »
    Yes, they do, although it certainly massively hampers your selection if you're abroad. Sexton is too important to be snubbed though. If you're uncapped and playing abroad, you can almost forget about it for the senior squad.

Who knows, maybe Schmidt will change this?

I mean the likes of Bowe, Easterby and Murphy are all players who were regularly included while abroad, obviously they were talented players.

But what players playing abroad would have been in contention and missed out- the likes of Cullen, Jennings, Casey? Did Trevor Brennan ever get picked while abroad, I can't remember? Anyway, I don't think any of those players were better than those who were ahead of them.

But maybe Schmidt will consider bringing the likes of Hagan/Andress or Morris into squads.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Is Caldwell not still a starter for Bath? Stringer should get some gametime too
    And there's Tommy Hayes and Steenson for Exeter.

Not sure if Mushy Buckley and Andress start for their respective clubs, but they're still over there.
    And I'm pretty sure Barnes signed for some English team, can't remember who... be interesting to see how he gets on.

And are Dave and Timmy Ryan still playing in pro12? Not sure about that.... and is Fogarty is playing in the Top 14 next season? Lots of Irish players abroad.
    Yep all good points (not the Ryans though I dont think).

Danny Barnes is with Newcastle.

Buckley is more of a starter than Andress iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Is Caldwell not still a starter for Bath?

Possibly, but uncertain. He spent a lot of last season injured, and Bath have a decent amount of locks there - he'll be competing for a spot as lineout lock against Stuart Hooper, who I believe is still the club captain, and Dave Attwood, who's got himself back in the England reckoning. I reckon he's a better player than Hooper, and a better jumper than Attwood, who can also play grunty lock, so he could make it, but it'll be a difficult fight there.

Who knows, maybe Schmidt will change this?

I mean the likes of Bowe, Easterby and Murphy are all players who were regularly included while abroad, obviously they were talented players.

But what players playing abroad would have been in contention and missed out- the likes of Cullen, Jennings, Casey? Did Trevor Brennan ever get picked while abroad, I can't remember? Anyway, I don't think any of those players were better than those who were ahead of them.

But maybe Schmidt will consider bringing the likes of Hagan/Andress or Morris into squads.

The guys selected were in different situations or in a different era. Bowe was an established international before he moved. Murphy and Easterby are from a different time, way before the emergence of central contracts.

At that time, a large number of players were based in England. When they made their debuts, literally half the squad were playing there.

Brennan never got a cap when abroad but, similar to Jennings, Cullen and Casey, he wasn't better than what was there. But there were occasions where guys playing in England weren't getting into the squads despite definitely being good enough to be third or fourth choice in their positions. Jennings, for example, only made his debut for Ireland when he announced his return to Leinster.

I'd hope Schmidt does select foreign players if they're deserving of it but they simply don't have the same involvement in training camps etc. to stake their claim. I'm sure there's a certain level of pressure to select Irish based players also to counteract any potential exodus. As long as players thing they'll be out of the picture internationally, that will play on their minds in negotiations unless they're in Sexton's position where they're simply in the team regardless of where they are playing.

Eamon Sheridan is starting for LI against Northampton on Saturday. Just a friendly but still a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

There's also Michael Noone at Leicester... Only 23.. Can play anywhere in the back row.. Played a 5 first team games last season and got 3 tries... A former Ireland u19 & u20 player..

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Eamon Sheridan is starting for LI against Northampton on Saturday. Just a friendly but still a good sign.

Ian Cross started 13 for LI in the same game. YM man plays outside back, never got a sniff round the Irish scene, hopefully something comes good from here for him

• Advertisement

Ian Cross started 13 for LI in the same game. YM man plays outside back, never got a sniff round the Irish scene, hopefully something comes good from here for him

I didn't even realise it was the same Ian Cross!

It'd be great if they ended up with a backline like O'Leary, Humphreys, Sheridan, Cross!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Scanlon
    Keating
    Sheridan
    Barnes
    Morris
    Sexton
    Stringer
    Andress
    Fogarty
    Hagan
    Caldwell
    Sheriff
    TJ Anderson
    Copeland
    Noone

Decent enough team...cant think of a LH though

bamboozle wrote: »
    Scanlon
    Keating
    Sheridan
    Barnes
    Morris
    Sexton
    Stringer
    Andress
    Fogarty
    Hagan
    Caldwell
    Sheriff
    TJ Anderson
    Copeland
    Noone

Decent enough team...cant think of a LH though

think Shane Cahill might be a loosehead. Neil best would be much better than anderson

think Shane Cahill might be a loosehead. Neil best would be much better than anderson

I dunno about that at all. If he was much better he'd be playing for a better club than Scots.

Not sure much better would apply anymore. Best's career has fallen off a cliff and he's probably entering his last contract as a professional before retirement with a low level championship side.

He's a massive case of wasted talent.

look Im not saying hes goin to be on the next lions tour Im just saying hes a better player than TJ anderson,and speaking of low level clubs Scottish would be a better place to be than Ealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

look Im not saying hes goin to be on the next lions tour Im just saying hes a better player than TJ anderson,and speaking of low level clubs Scottish would be a better place to be than Ealing.

Ali Birch is with Rotherham this season, i'll throw him in at 7 instead of TJ Anderson who in fairness didnt stand out much at AIL level last season. Not sure if Jerry Cronin is still with Doncaster...if so i'll throw him in at LH.

Really? Both only recently promoted to the championship?

I suppose we'll see this season. I live about equidistant to both!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Ian Whitten and Shane Monahan would probably squeeze in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think he went playing League with St Helens and was picked up LI, picked up a leg injury during his trial game but they seemed to have stuck by him. Hope he gets gametime and develops so that he'll be picked up by one of the Irish provinces.

Advertisement