Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I am pie wrote: »
    Certainly we were starting to grow weary of some under par performances from Pienaar, but he had a massive game against Bath and went a long way to winning over the fans in that game. If iHump can handle the kicking duties it takes a lot of pressure off Pienaar and let's him focus on what he does well at 9.

Shame O'Connor didn't fulfil his early potential at ulster, we need to very careful with the Marshall and Jackson. I also really like the look of young Gilroy on the wing. Scored a few tries but glad to see him not rushed back into the team, needs patience and careful development also.

Is Gilroy registered for the HC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

no not reg'd for HC, but looked like he might play a succession of magners games at one stage, seems to be out of the squad now danielli is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Redsock wrote: »
    Look isn't big enough or quick enough to play 12. Hopefully at some point the ulster management will realise this and move him to 10.

That said, the boy Jackson is the future of ulster and Irish rugby at 10. He is the new ROG.

Luke Marshall is 5'11" and about 15 stone but he's not big enough? He is the same size as gordon Darcy is now and BOD is 5'10" and 15 stones. He seems to have scraped by for the last 11 years at that weight and height while Marshall who at 19 is slighly bigger, is in fact, in your view,too small? He also is very quick indeed with great acceleration. You must be mistaking him for someone else.

iamjenko wrote: »
    Are Paul Marshall & Luke Marshall related?

I'm a Leinster man myself but from what i have seen of Ulster this season Paul Marshall has done enough to have his spot at 9 over Pienarr...

Sorry man, Marshall has been decent enough but the gulf in class between him and Pienaar is wide indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'm sure it's been said here before but Pienaar at 10 and Marshall at 9 might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Pienaar signed with an agreement that he only play at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

ULSTER (v Biarritz Olympique): Adam D'Arcy; Andrew Trimble, Nevin Spence, Paddy Wallace, Simon Danielli; Ian Humphreys, Ruan Pienaar; Tom Court, Rory Best (capt), BJ Botha, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy, Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg.

Replacements: Nigel Brady, Bryan Young, Declan Fitzpatrick, Tim Barker, Chris Henry, Paul Marshall, Ian Whitten, David McIlwaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dylbag

probably the best side we've put out in a long time...should be good!

tim ryan and the other names being mentioned are not what ulster need to replace BJ. when BJ goes and court is at the world cup then we are diffs...fitzpatrick and cronin and ok but if BK is not replaced by somebody decent and the scrums start going back too often then the progress we've made will be pointless....we need good ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Brewster

Ulster are gauranteed a quarterfinal spot should they beat Aironi after Wasps lost today to Glasgow. Fantastic news, they have to beat Aironi. Four points at Aironi will be enough for a runners up spot with 2nd runners spot going to Perpignan more than likely should they beat Scarlets at home....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Brewster wrote: »
    Ulster are gauranteed a quarterfinal spot should they beat Aironi after Wasps lost today to Glasgow. Fantastic news, they have to beat Aironi. Four points at Aironi will be enough for a runners up spot with 2nd runners spot going to Perpignan more than likely should they beat Scarlets at home....
    Thats true which is great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Brewster wrote: »

Great news! Ulster were very unlucky last year to not even make the Amlin and they really deserve a QF spot this year. Great to still have 2 Irish teams there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fantastic outcome for Ulster. Qualifying is a great step forward for them (if they manage to beat Aironi of course!). All the same, I'd love to get them in the QF but it will be a great experience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Fantastic outcome for Ulster. Qualifying is a great step forward for them (if they manage to beat Aironi of course!). All the same, I'd love to get them in the QF but it will be a great experience for them.

Whilst your good wishes are most welcome your condescension is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

I had to thank that post as your use of the word condescension was phenomenal!

Have posted this before about Ulster, and surely will again. Ulster are a team that are looking to peak, and it isn't that far ahead. They're hitting a decent pace at this stage, bringing players through, and having no problem with their replacements and development.

This year is not a make or break year for them, they will grow from whatever happens in the next 6 months, far more than I think any other province will.

I strongly believe Ulster will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Redsock wrote: »
    Whilst your good wishes are most welcome your condescension is not.

It's not condescension (at least it's not meant to be) just reality. It's an important step forward for Ulster but I expect them to lose in the QF and I think it would be one of the easier games Leinster could get. It took a lot of work and heartache for Leinster to get where they are now (and likewise for Munster a few years ago). Ulster will come back stronger for this next year but I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It's not condescension (at least it's not meant to be) just reality. It's an important step forward for Ulster but I expect them to lose in the QF and I think it would be one of the easier games Leinster could get. It took a lot of work and heartache for Leinster to get where they are now (and likewise for Munster a few years ago). Ulster will come back stronger for this next year but I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they go any further.

As an Ulster supporter I tend to agree with this. Ulster almost certainly will face a QF away from home and probably Toulouse or Leinster which I can't see them winning. To get to the QF though is an achievement.

I disappointed that I have to agree with you. There are a few lads in the Ulster squad that come on so much week to week and the improvement since the begining of the year is definitely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would be very wary of a team like Ulster who have so much potential left untapped. The last thing we need is for them to have a "coming of age" experience like Leinster did against Munster (although i'll always say the Harlequins game was more important).

I'd much prefer Leicester as a Leinster fan.

But that is kind've off topic. I'll be thrilled to see Ulster go through, it'll make up for the disappointment of losing Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

podge definately wasnt being condesending, aironi bet biaritz and as a new team you cant be sure if that was a one off or a glimpse of things to come... either way not to be undersetimated.
    as a ulster fan i cant see us gettin past the qf, we will be second runner up (thanks to tries scored) or 6th best if we manage to jump biarritz. at the moment this means toulouse or leinster away. cant see us gettin a result in france and i think leinster are still 2 or so years ahead of us, between intensity/speed of play and squad depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

This is a massive turning point for Ulster.

They're building a great squad and will hopefully have come through a tough group. Biarritz and Bath are both decent sides.

Will Ulster win the Heineken Cup from here? Probably not, but even the fact that they are now mixing amongst the quarter-finalists is a big step forward, and I believe this will be the year Ulster fans look back on as the begining of a very successfull era for the province.

I think Ulster have the talent and squad to compete on both Magners and European levels and I think they will only get better and better with every season for the forseable future, and their academy is producing some excellent players, of which they are yet to reap full dividends from..

• Advertisement

davidpfitz wrote: »
    I could be wrong on this, but I think the best second place teams every year for the past 5-6 years have always been the ones with the Italian teams in it.

I think that when assessing the 2 best second place teams, the results against the bottom team in each of their groups should be disregarded.

You would need to ignore all the results against the bottom teams in each group to assess both winner and second place. It would be entirely possible that if you did so, you would have a different group winner.

Biarritz would be delighted to be able to ignore losing away to Aironi.

dragons and treviso could be called the 2 worst teams this year with 1pt each. aironi have 4
    ulster have the bonus point they need to top the group with 3 tries in the 15 minutes after half time. only problem is biaritz have 3 tries and 20minutes to get the fourth.

overshoot wrote: »
    dragons and treviso could be called the 2 worst teams this year with 1pt each. aironi have 4
    ulster have the bonus point they need to top the group with 3 tries in the 15 minutes after half time. only problem is biaritz have 3 tries and 20minutes to get the fourth.
    Biaritz got the 4th so Ulster will be a best second place, probably will get Toulouse or Northampton

you never know, if one of perpignon/leicster dont get a bonus point tomorrow ulster get the first runner up spot. and if either of toulouse or northhampton dont win it would be leinster v ulster. unlikely but it would be some game, ulster would be out for revenge after ravenhill at christmas. would almost certainly be in lansdowne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

I think people are underestimating the knockout potential of Ulster. The knock out stages of the Heineken normally aren't particularly flashy (Barring Toulouse v Leinster 2007 and Munster v Ospreys & Leinster v Munster 2009). Ulster have an enormous pack, a good goal kicking outhalf and some nice finishing wingers. They could do very well. Sure teams are always going to beat them over the course of a few matches as they are predictable and a little inconsistent but if they can get a run of 3 games together then they win the tournament. An enormous challenge, but certainly not beyond them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Great to see Ulster back in the quarters but it's gonna be hard getting to the semis. It's hard to tell but if I was an Ulster fan I'd be hoping for Perpignan away, the other 3 home quarter finalists are so strong, especially at home.

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Great to see Ulster back in the quarters but it's gonna be hard getting to the semis. It's hard to tell but if I was an Ulster fan I'd be hoping for Perpignan away, the other 3 home quarter finalists are so strong, especially at home.
    Its going to be Northampton, or Toulouse in all likelyhood. Leinster is a possibility too but unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

Its going to be Northampton, or Toulouse in all likelyhood. Leinster is a possibility too but unlikely

The main thing is to avoid Leinster and Toulouse for as long as possible. Northampton are in form but all English sides are beatable.

It's great to be in the last 8 but we'd be deluding ourselves if we thought we'd beat any of those other teams away from home. Very unlikely. There is a reason why we're likely to be the 8th seed. The other teams are either a bit better or a lot better. Nothing is impossible but the team are still very much in transition.

I was very impressed however when even with Young, Kyriacou and Cronin in the front row they buthchered the Aironi scrum with Perugini and Ongaro, Del Fava, Bortolami and Josh Sole who are all in the Italian squad. It's nice to be able to replace Botha and Best fairly well.

The backs need a lot of work. Ulster need a good backs coach, not Neil Doak. Some talented players but they don't work all that well together as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Anybody know why Aironi wear green in the Heineken and Black in the Magners? I can't imagine marketing is the reason I can't imagine they have a huge fan base who'll splash out on both.

This may not be the most important question of the day but I'm curious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement