Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lissadell -end of the struggle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

sligoblue wrote: »
    All of our homes are built on land that used to be green fields, no way would I allow someone walk in the front gate of my house, pass the side of it and out the back garden just because people used to walk there a hundred years ago.
    yea we own a farm in sligo & was having a rant in college to one of the lads in the course one day after some hillwalkers damaged fence & sheep got out. was saying a farm is private property (freehold/leasehold/etc) same as any house, doesnt matter if its scenic whatever excuse. without a right of way or consent you are trespassing same as if i went walking in your garden. he couldnt understand the premise! scary thing is i did architecture in college....

if people want to moan about consent then have a look at the america lawsuit culture that has been seeping in and the massive insurance costs. (kevkev) also didnt a lot of our patriots fight for us to have a right to own our own land and distribute it as we please... re the penal laws!

what boggles the mind is as rambo said 2 posts ago, sligo coco wouldnt pay for the house (so the public had their chance! this is where the anger should be) but would spend as much on a fools errand which someone in the planning department should have been able to tell them... and most likely did however counsellors & political footballs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

The courts have ruled that Sligo Co. Co. must pay all of their own costs and 75% of the owners costs.
    What's the betting on Sligo Co.Co. declaring bankruptcy?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/council-faces-multi-million-euro-bill-after-lissadell-court-ruling-1.1747093

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The courts have ruled that Sligo Co. Co. must pay all of their own costs and 75% of the owners costs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/council-faces-multi-million-euro-bill-after-lissadell-court-ruling-1.1747093

Cue local property tax skyrocketing in 2015 for us Sligonians. And all because of one gobshíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Well that's the Councils debt tipped over the €100m mark after that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Well that's the Councils debt tipped over the €100m mark after that...

It's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wonder what logic arrived at 75%? Four routes under dispute, council was vindicated (kind of) on one, so was 25% right or something?

Wonder what logic arrived at 75%? Four routes under dispute, council was vindicated (kind of) on one, so was 25% right or something?

Maybe the they didn't want to rub Sligo Co Co's nose too deeply in the doodah?.... in case they'd drown completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

there's a thread on this in after hours ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057181577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

What a waste of money. I hope heads will roll but I know they won't. I'm glad the owners won their case. Can't believe some heehaws still think its okay to trespass in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Both councillor's and council officials have to take the blame and the two biggest instigator's Joe Leonard and Hubert kearins were cute get out before the Dung hits the fan,but in saying that the other fools of councillor's that were there cannot be proud of themselves either it's a pure shambles that us the good people of sligo will be punished for not the elected officials or the civil service set of sligo co. Co.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I'm from dublin but have followed this case in the news. I think lissadell is a wonderful place.

It is interesting to read the comments and opinions of people from Sligo about the situation. It seems the general consensus is that the council made a mess of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Yes big time they did I'm originally from the locality it was a personal crusade taken by one councilor who lost all sight of right it has cost jobs and damaged the tourism capability's of the county,the common person ends up been the looser

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I wonder which Carribean island the sellers are sitting on right now laughing their bollix off...

I wonder which Carribean island the sellers are sitting on right now laughing their bollix off...

Sellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On a similar-sized one to the one the lawyers are sitting on I'd have thought......:D

I heard on the grapevine that there was a right old ding dong today at a meeting of Sligo Co. Co.
    If any of the local papers have a full report could someone post a link, please.
    Apparently Counsellor Leonard "defended himself robustly" against attacks from all sides.
    Wonder if it'll affect his pension?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

How can the Sligo council afford this?

I heard on the grapevine that there was a right old ding dong today at a meeting of Sligo Co. Co.
    If any of the local papers have a full report could someone post a link, please.
    Apparently Counsellor Leonard "defended himself robustly" against attacks from all sides.
    Are transcripts/minutes, made available publicly shortly after session do you know?
    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    How can the Sligo council afford this?

They can't. Central funds will have to be used to dig the coco out of the hole (which these costs are only a small portion of) eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Oh to be a fly on the wall!!! I wonder if the so called 'Lissadell Action Group' will hold a few ol church gate collections to pay for the mess they got the tax payer into!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Oh to be a fly on the wall!!!

I think it was an open meeting was it not? Sligo Today were tweeting all the "action" from within the meeting anyway.

Couple of reports:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lissadell-owners-say-council-report-is-a-whitewash-1.1775645

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=30885

I particularly liked this:
    In 2009, one thousand people in Maugherow petitioned Sligo County Council to stop the case. Not only were they ignored, the Council refused to accept the petition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jimmy2pens

When the councillors come canvassing, just ask them what way they voted on the motion forwarded by Mr Leonard. Be sure and tell them how they have shafted us for many years to come. Here's to years of increasing property tax and plenty of potholes. :mad:

I think it was an open meeting was it not? Sligo Today were tweeting all the "action" from within the meeting anyway.

Couple of reports:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lissadell-owners-say-council-report-is-a-whitewash-1.1775645

I particularly liked this:

'nother article from todays IT that I missed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sligo-manager-says-door-open-to-lissadell-estate-owners-1.1776729?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    The Sligo county manager has said his door is open to the owners of the Lissadell estate
    Labour councillor Jim McGarry said the family deserved an apology from Sligo County Council.
    And some guff from leonard about any reasonable observer being mystified by the SC ruling

Good to see they're going to hold onto it and reopen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I see Perry is all over it like a rash, I'd be doubtful he had anything to do with the Walshes decision.

Delighted the councils complete cock-up hasn't ruined the chance of the house staying open after all.

Good to see they're going to hold onto it and reopen it.

I presume the best way to recover from this debacle is to reopen Lissadell to visitors.

If we assume the number of visitors quickly reaches the same level as prior to the closure (40,000) and that there will be a revenue of €5 per visitor, then in, say, five or six years they will have generated gross revenue of around €1 million. How far will that go to pay their legal costs?
    How was it in the public interest to make this claim which has resulted in Lissadell being closed, 40 thousand visitors and rising being lost, 34 jobs being lost and the people of Sligo having to pay 100% of Sligo County Councils legal costs, and 75% of our legal costs which we incurred in defending our family and our house?

Apparently Cllr Leonard recited this ditty at Sligo County Council's special meeting on Lissadell (original spelling and syntax):

The Ballad of Lissadell

Come all you rich young lawyers and invest in Lissadell,
    Just tramp on any protest, they're just locals what the hell,
    Bar up the gates and lock them tight, keep dirty yokels out,
    That noble senior council drink their port and use their clout.

The Sligo County Council dares declares was clearly true,
    Or local papers even cheap give notice that you'll sue,
    With expert litigation you can make the croppies crawl,
    Convince them that their ancient rights were never rights at all.

Oh poor Maud Gonne the cause you loved, the fights you fought is lost,
    And poor old Countess Markievicz who strove at such a cost,
    The proud Gore-Booths who sacrificed and doled out to the poor,
    Their ideals now in dust and Mother Ireland just a whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

:rolleyes: I'd love to know what his attitude would be towards me if I decided his private property were mine to use as I wished.

He's just a begrudger towards the people he sees as the descendants of the Anglo-Irish ascendancy, except they didn't inherit this property they bought it and they invested a great deal of money in preserving it, which the council and the state refused to do.

The irony is a hundred years ago the likes of him were burning these houses.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I believe none other than an Taoiseach is appearing at the big event.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Apparently Cllr Leonard recited this ditty at Sligo County Council's special meeting on Lissadell (original spelling and syntax):

The Ballad of Lissadell

Come all you rich young lawyers and invest in Lissadell,
    Just tramp on any protest, they're just locals what the hell,
    Bar up the gates and lock them tight, keep dirty yokels out,
    That noble senior council drink their port and use their clout.

The Sligo County Council dares declares was clearly true,
    Or local papers even cheap give notice that you'll sue,
    With expert litigation you can make the croppies crawl,
    Convince them that their ancient rights were never rights at all.

Oh poor Maud Gonne the cause you loved, the fights you fought is lost,
    And poor old Countess Markievicz who strove at such a cost,
    The proud Gore-Booths who sacrificed and doled out to the poor,
    Their ideals now in dust and Mother Ireland just a whore.

His poetry is on a par with his political competency!

Advertisement