Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aylesbury Park, Sligo Fire

• 29-03-2014 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Tragic loss of life in Aylesbury Park in Sligo this evening in a house fire, may they rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Sad-Sad for the family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

was out walking on the strandhill road when this was happening, saw the emergency vehicles en route was thinking it was something major. rip poor lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

According to the Irish Independent online edition, this lady was staying over in her sisters house while her sister was in Sligo General visiting their dad, such a waste of a young life, may she rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Very sad for the family with news that her father also passed away today. May they both rest in peace.

Suppose to be the phone charger that started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Sligo Weekender have a lot answer for as they published a front page picture of the girl who died in the fire, however the photo they published was not the deceased but of somebody else altogether, a bit sloppy work from the Weekender,

These stories and photos relating to such a sensitive tragedy should be double checked, human error I know, but something to remember in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

That's disgraceful and unprofessional for a local paper to not bother to check authenticity of all details published in such a sensitive case.

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Sligo Weekender have a lot answer for as they published a front page picture of the girl who died in the fire, however the photo they published was not the deceased but of somebody else altogether, a bit sloppy work from the Weekender,

These stories and photos relating to such a sensitive tragedy should be double checked, human error I know, but something to remember in future.
    I heard it was recalled I wasn't sure why, that was a terrible error. Speaking of local papers I saw a photographer at the funeral. In my opinion it was poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

an inexcusable mistake.

if something this important and sensitive is messed up so spectacularly, what about the rest of what's in the paper?
    small town and huge reputation damage which will take a long time to repair. trust once gone is next to impossible to get back.

btw i like the weekender besides this.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Was there need to publish a photo,no I don't think so the champion didn't it's lazy journalism from the reporter and the editor but it's not the first time this paper has been sloppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I don't know why anybody buys that rag, except to line the budgie cage floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

6781 wrote: »
    Speaking of local papers I saw a photographer at the funeral. In my opinion it was poor taste.

Every local paper sends a photographer to these sort of funerals. It might seem as if it's in bad taste, but they were always going to cover the funeral in some way.

R_overs1 wrote: »
    Every local paper sends a photographer to these sort of funerals. It might seem as if it's in bad taste, but they were always going to cover the funeral in some way.

I'm sure they do it doesn't make it any way less tasteful. Do you think a grieving private family want their photos all over some local rag? It's just to make headlines in a unethical way. If papers want a photo why not approach some one close to the family and ask for permission for a photo of happier times? I guess that wouldn't sell papers eh?

I'm sure they do it doesn't make it any way less tasteful. Do you think a grieving private family want their photos all over some local rag? It's just to make headlines in a unethical way. If papers want a photo why not approach some one close to the family and ask for permission for a photo of happier times? I guess that wouldn't sell papers eh?

It's news. Of course a paper is going to have a photographer at the funeral. It's a local newspaper reporting local stories, it's not as if it's paparazzi.

It's not ideal and of course the family should be allowed grieve in private, but that's the way it is.

It's news. Of course a paper is going to have a photographer at the funeral. It's a local newspaper reporting local stories, it's not as if it's paparazzi.

It's not ideal and of course the family should be allowed grieve in private, but that's the way it is.
    I know it's the way it is as I saw it myself! But because it's done that doesn't mean it's right. I don't see why they will have a photographer there at all. The story should be covered as its local news but do it in a tasteful way. Why follow the gutter "journalist" route?

Why follow the gutter "journalist" route?

Maybe the paper asked for permission to be present...?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Forget about that, lets jump to conclusion :)
    This is a very sad story. I don't know why people feel the need to bring other issues into it.

From what I heard they didn't...

Advertisement