Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I can't see it happening or the point in it being played behind closed doors. If that happened then to be honest I worry about where the game has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The closed door thing might be ok for soccer when there is TV deals and big money on the line, I don't see much point in the GAA playing intercounty matches behind closed doors, just cancel the 2020 season across the board and hopefully try to get going again in 2021, its only foolishness to think otherwise

Last year revenue from premium tickets, boxes and catering (€34.5m) was almost as much as revenue from gate receipts from all games (€36.1m).

Sponsorship and media was worth another €20.7m.

The financial benefits of staging games behind closed doors will be compelling, and staging intercounty games with limited capacity will be even more compelling.

The GAA at local level depends heavily on the financial juggernaut which is Croke Park and the intercounty competitions. Therefore I expect that we'll have an intercounty competition even if it runs to an amended schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Finally good to see some sense being spoken here. Let’s call a spade a spade, Anyone waiting around for intercounty championships to commence is dreaming. Do people think this thing is just going to disappear in a few months? The spread will be minimised eventually but as Loughnane said, until the vaccine comes through we won’t see the big championship days anytime soon.

I really like the suggestion from the poster that club games should be looked after first if there is to be any action this year. Clubs are at the very heart of our communities and represent the people that have been most affected by the crisis. The intercounty game is a luxury that we all enjoy but let’s start out by giving a lift to everyone in the communities and get some club game’s played instead.

The intercounty game is a luxury that we all enjoy but let’s start out by giving a lift to everyone in the communities and get some club game’s played instead.

Unfortunately it's the other way around and has been for some time. The GAA will experience very real cash flow issues this year and will need the intercounty game to keep the lights on.

Club championships, in most counties, are run off over about 8 weeks of the year. That's the reality of it.

If a condensed intercounty competition runs in July to early September, club games can easily be completed in the normal fashion.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's the other way around and has been for some time. The GAA will experience very real cash flow issues this year and will need the intercounty game to keep the lights on.

Club championships, in most counties, are run off over about 8 weeks of the year. That's the reality of it.

If a condensed intercounty competition runs in July to early September, club games can easily be completed in the normal fashion.

Yes but these are unprecedented times, shur the whole world is experiencing cash flow issues. I’m no expert but I don’t think we’ll be ready for any action in July. It will be interesting to see what would happen if September was the earliest time that games can be played. Surely you’d be saying write the year off.

• Advertisement

Yes but these are unprecedented times, shur the whole world is experiencing cash flow issues. I’m no expert but I don’t think we’ll be ready for any action in July. It will be interesting to see what would happen if September was the earliest time that games can be played. Surely you’d be saying write the year off.

I think if county boards are given the option of one over the other (and I don't they will to be honest), and if the financial implications of not staging the intercounty competitions are made clear to them, there is only one outcome. There are a lot of jobs in the association and in communities that rely on funding.

Other professional sports will resume to finish their seasons and to keep the lights on. Once they do the GAA will be keen to do likewise.

If that was the case you'd have to, be unfair on the players even aside from everything else having missed out on 6 months or so of proper training.

If that was the case you'd have to, be unfair on the players even aside from everything else having missed out on 6 months or so of proper training.

Fairness to players is almost always an afterthought. Well down the list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,766 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder what could happen with under age Championships if they have to cancel the 2020 season

Potentiality players missing out due to becoming overage by 2021

You may have noticed that today the GAA announced 10-20% pay cuts for the 500 staff paid by Central Council.

€60m hit if intercounty games can't go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

who cares once all teams on an even keel what does it matter, if anything could allow a huge upset possibly working in our favour , give them a month 6 weeks with friendlies and the league games played off if we come out of it with an ai what will it matter

more successful counties ,get more sponsorship and have better prep, this is our best chance yet

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

who cares once all teams on an even keel what does it matter, if anything could allow a huge upset possibly working in our favour , give them a month 6 weeks with friendlies and the league games played off if we come out of it with an ai what will it matter

more successful counties ,get more sponsorship and have better prep, this is our best chance yet

In my opinion we might be able to resume training sooner than later, but it'll be quite awhile until big matches are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ok lads, how about for a bit of craic we vote for our favourite ever Waterford goal. Put in your nominations and we will vote for it in a few days time

Try and include a Youtube video if you can

For me it has to be the magician Paul Flynn with the audacious goal from a free v Cork in the 2004 Munstr final to help 14 man Waterford get the win.

I still remember the shock when it went in. As Ger Canning said "Only Paull Fynn could think of it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Gardner

Feenie wrote: »
    In my opinion we might be able to resume training sooner than later, but it'll be quite awhile until big matches are allowed.

someone ring Tony Holohan and tell him it's ok because some lad on Boards.ie has made a prediction 4 hours after the latest press release that "we might be able to resume training sooner than later" after our biggest jump in cases to date. :confused:

you will fit in well with some of the clown on this forum anyway :o

I personally believe this goal is vastly under rated and near forgotten,99% other forwards would've tried pick it up

Jesus...if he was from the big three counties with maybe 4 or 5 all irelands,he would be regarded as one of the best of all time

Favourite goal possibly this one https://youtu.be/MLENODt34cA . That was a really satisfying win albeit it wasn't a great year overall, and this was a massive goal in the match.

In terms of best goal, Flynns probably in 2004. Austin Gleesons v Cork in 2014 was special also.

https://youtu.be/x-LNj0Jmycs

Saw Jamie Barron's against Kilkenny in 2017 again yesterday, the initial touch and spin/side-step after 80 mins of hurling was phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

I personally believe this goal is vastly under rated and near forgotten,99% other forwards would've tried pick it up

Jesus...if he was from the big three counties with maybe 4 or 5 all irelands,he would be regarded as one of the best of all time

I heard Cusack say once that it was the biggest fright he ever got in goal. The ball missed his head by an inch - he reckoned that if it hit him, such was the force in it, it would have taken his head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Gardner

Deise Gael wrote: »
    I heard Cusack say once that it was the biggest fright he ever got in goal. The ball missed his head by an inch - he reckoned that if it hit him, such was the force in it, it would have taken his head off.

well done on that exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

https://youtu.be/fgSv8bzZcR4

The third of these 3 just because of the sheer cheeky audacity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ian OB wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/fgSv8bzZcR4

The third of these 3 just because of the sheer cheeky audacity of it.

He was some sight in full flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I was watching the 2016 Under-21 hurling final the other night. Waterford scored five excellent goals in that game, but I thought that Shane Bennett's goal from Stephen's cross is probably the best hurling goal I ever saw. Nothing particularly spectacular about it, but the combination of Stephen's vision, the perfect nature of the cross and Shane's cushioned contact (easing the ball past the keeper rather than belting at it) was exceptional. Perhaps someone with better IT skills than me could put up the video.

Apart from the goals, three other things struck me about the game. One was Patrick Curran's excellent performance. He scored 1-3 from play and six frees (although he did miss one), and then there was his super reverse under-arm pass which put Stephen Bennett in for this first goal.

The second was Michael Harney's super swashbuckling performance, especially in the second half. Going on this performance, it seemed just a matter of time before he became a regular on the senior team. And here we are, almost four years later, with Harney still playing Fitzgibbon on one of the best college teams in the country, and no sign of him on the senior county team.

Similarly, I was very impressed with William Hahessy's corner back performance - fast, skillful and very efficient, all the attributes one likes in a corner back. Again, he looked a certainty for a place on the county panel, but as far as I am aware he has never got a call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,766 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I was watching the 2016 Under-21 hurling final the other night. Waterford scored five excellent goals in that game, but I thought that Shane Bennett's goal from Stephen's cross is probably the best hurling goal I ever saw. Nothing particularly spectacular about it, but the combination of Stephen's vision, the perfect nature of the cross and Shane's cushioned contact (easing the ball past the keeper rather than belting at it) was exceptional. Perhaps someone with better IT skills than me could put up the video.

Apart from the goals, three other things struck me about the game. One was Patrick Curran's excellent performance. He scored 1-3 from play and six frees (although he did miss one), and then there was his super reverse under-arm pass which put Stephen Bennett in for this first goal.

The second was Michael Harney's super swashbuckling performance, especially in the second half. Going on this performance, it seemed just a matter of time before he became a regular on the senior team. And here we are, almost four years later, with Harney still playing Fitzgibbon on one of the best college teams in the country, and no sign of him on the senior county team.

Similarly, I was very impressed with William Hahessy's corner back performance - fast, skillful and very efficient, all the attributes one likes in a corner back. Again, he looked a certainty for a place on the county panel, but as far as I am aware he has never got a call up.

That was a great year and brillent squad (was it 80% of the 2013 AI minor winning squad ??)

Would we of beat Dublin in the AI final that year if they had held on against Galway ?. Tipp were beating us near the closing stages of the Munster final and then one of the Bennetts got that wonder goal

We almost had players who would of won triple All Irelands titles in 2017 but we all knw sadly wasant to be :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Giveitfong wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIQhbeOjatw

Couldnt find Shane's goal but here's a good back up ; as Cyril Farrell said in the post match analysis ".... it's a great goal if you can see it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGU4oNKAGGg

the full match (I hope) is attached. What promise there was after this victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Most of the usual ones mentioned here really are top class. Dans goal in the 2007 AI quarter final drawn game was a fantastic goal, two Cork defenders right on his coat tails, going away from goal and placed it right in the bottom corner- literally the only spot Cusack couldn’t get to.
    Goal at 9min 30sec below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=woyxRFvfDuM

Another obscure one which unfortunately isn’t on YouTube was from the 2011 AI minor semi final v Dublin. It was a disastrous game with 3 or 4 quick Dublin goals in the first half that ended our hopes but Gavin O’Brien scores a peach late on. Think he siloed through and plated a lofted finish into the top corner. Would love to see it again. Only a report on it below which mentions the goal being the pick of the 11 that day.
    https://munster.gaa.ie/event/all-ireland-minor-hurling-championship-semi-final-waterford-v-dublin/

Oh think again my friend https://youtu.be/SbJS408xAGQ

Gardner wrote: »
    well done on that exaggeration.

Relax negative Ned, having a go at everyone and anyone. It’s only a bit of craic on here, people are just trying to keep the spirits high through a fairly grim period.

Eoin Kelly’s goal vs Cork in 04 Munster final. Gets overshadowed by the Flynn goal but it Too was a piece of individual brilliance

07 Munster semi v Cork, a high scoring game with lots of goals, but I remember 1 goal by Dan Shan in particular was an absolute rocket into the top corner

Finally, a random one, but league semi final Vs Limerick in Thurles in 98, Micheal White Goal in second half. Class goal but it’s significance was huge too, put us through to a league final for the first time in 30 years and ultimately set the tone for the summer and years ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

Right folks, I'm lost....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Ian OB wrote: »
    Right folks, I'm lost....

3 could be Clinton Hennessy. Haven't a clue about any of the others

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement