Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes but what I think people mean is your oil service running a couple of thousand kilometres over won’t be the end of the world as most cars are using long life oil anyway these days. Granted I don't know how long your commute is maybe you are racking up big miles commuting.

Yes, the interval on it is 15,000 miles maximum. I really should've done it at 10 but already gone over 10.

Currently doing minimum 180kms a day to and from work.

Without my car I wouldn't be able to get to work so can't afford any mishaps.

Trying to go out and get a rental car now would be difficult and the cost wouldn't make it worth going to work at all.

FYI I am in a Frontline role and will be going to and from work 5 days week.

Don't assume just because you see a car on the road that they shouldn't be there.

No one is assuming anything, getting an oil service done over the next two weeks is unnecessary. Have you been watching the news at all?

There's a difference between essential & frontline BTW.

Augeo wrote: »
    No one is assuming anything, getting an oil service done over the next two weeks is unnecessary. Have you been watching the news at all?

There's a difference between essential & frontline BTW.

Yes I have been watching the news

And unfortunately for me I am required to go to work as much as I don't want to.

I'd be more than happy to sit at home on my hole for 2 weeks but unfortunately I don't have that option

Unfortunately for me my job is both Frontline and essential , thanks for reminding me.

Aren't you a bus driver?
    I'm not sure that's frontline TBH.

I'll be working myself but I'm not frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Look if the guy needs his car serviced he needs his car serviced. Plus as he said he has to go to work and needs the car to get there so I don't know why people are at him.

• Advertisement

It's a two week lock down. He will cover 900kms going to work each week if it's a 5 day week.
    2000kms over an oil change isn't an issue.....

It's not an emergency "The Motor Industry has been classified as a business that can ONLY service and repair vehicles in the event of an emergency and can only offer emergency call-out and delivery service"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Exactly. We've been asked to stay indoors.

Getting a service isn't essential, a fortnight or so isn't going to make or break anything.

Workshops have been requested to close unless working on emergency service vehicles or carrying our emergency repairs to front line employees vehicles. Specifically not servicing. Fred in the shed working away during this just undermines the whole thing, as does attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

To be clear, I didn't specify within the coming two weeks and as much as I've advised him agains't working he can't afford not to at the minute.

I agree, for now an oil change is not something that needs to be done but my own garage and lots of others are likely to be closed well beyond 2 weeks so I'd going to be difficult to find good quality work going forward.

I don't know the circumstances of posters here but I wanted to let it be known that there are reputable garages still operation under a booking only capacity, I did this in response to multiple peoples concerns about having work done to their cars as they still need them to drive to work.

Anyone who thinks this will only be for 2 weeks isn't with it. China took a lot longer and that was with extreme measures in place. They got clear in months, they won't do that here for another while.

In regards to myself, if I could avoid work I would. I'd be very happy be a couch potato for 2 weeks and more.

I absolutely hate going to work at the moment, not knowing who or what I'm carrying, what I could potentially catch. My family hate the job I'm in at the moment, with everything going on they worry. Where some of my colleagues have taken advantage of the virus and used it as an excuse to get out of work, I haven't. I've been going as normal for the other essential and front line workers that need to get to work who will include nurses, doctors etc.

But I'm not surprised for simply needing my car maintained that I'm getting lash back, because it just seems no matter what you do on this forum you're always wrong.

Anyway good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Workshops are entitled to put the health and safety of their staff and customers before retail work. A car will survive without a service for a while

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    I've advised him agains't working he can't afford not to at the minute.
    I don't know the circumstances of posters here but I wanted to let it be known that there are reputable garages still operation under a booking only capacity.

To be fair, none of us can really afford to be unemployed at the minute but we are all in the one boat. I've been laid off, I'm pretty sure you've been laid off Cian.

Garages have been asked not to operate at all, pre booking etc doesn't make it ok. Sure I'll just lose my job for playing within the rules so this fella can clean up working by word of mouth behind closed doors doing non essential work. That's grand so and that's as an aside from the public health risks.

This is what's wrong with the country, load of me feiners out there. Sure those rules dont apply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Barely a car on the road, and the only one there still drives in the middle lane :D

2020-03-29-21-05-13-Transport-Infrastructure-Ireland-Traffic-Cams.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Lads. Are tax offices still working? I need to buy tax in April. I always use online one, but do they still operate?
    They were up until last week anyways. When I got mine in the post.

Anyone who thinks this will only be for 2 weeks isn't with it. China took a lot longer and that was with extreme measures which they got clear in months, they won't do that here for another while.

Routine servicing isn't an emergency. You are increasing risk by fooking about getting an oil change. It's totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

To be fair, none of us can really afford to be unemployed at the minute but we are all in the one boat. I've been laid off, I'm pretty sure you've been laid off Cian.

Garages have been asked not to operate at all, pre booking etc doesn't make it ok. Sure I'll just lose my job for playing within the rules so this fella can clean up working by word of mouth behind closed doors doing non essential work. That's grand so and that's as an aside from the public health risks.

This is what's wrong with the country, load of me feiners out there. Sure those rules dont apply to me.

I accept that and yes I am laid up as opposed to laid off. I've no idea when I'll be able to finish my exams or work again but it's completely out of my hands.
    What we don't have to worry about is the overheads of owning a business.
    He's not taking in any old job which is why I'm not given h out details to everyone so he can be flooded with people expecting their service to be done this week.

As we know, some front line workers need their cars to get to work, if they're driving on bald tyres or paper thin brake discs because this hit them out of no where and other garages closed, then it's good that they have somewhere to go so they have one less this to worry about.

As I've mentioned, they have a flat bed and can collect and deliver cars without having to have direct contact with the owners thus cutting down on chance of infection.

It's not all so black and white, I know you understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Routine servicing isn't an emergency. You are increasing risk by fooking about getting an oil change. It's totally unnecessary.
    What will be interesting is what do the banks/ manufacturers say when all there cars run over. Mainly talking pcp. Asked the salesman when I got my car serviced a few weeks back and he said 100km it 1 month overrun. Will they make exception for this?

I dont think anyone really scrutinises a service history that much? You'd be lucky if the average salesman would notice if a car was missing a wheel. Sure most people wont be using their cars that much anyway but once the book has a stamp roughly once a year you'd be golden.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    What will be interesting is what do the banks/ manufacturers say when all there cars run over. Mainly talking pcp. Asked the salesman when I got my car serviced a few weeks back and he said 100km it 1 month overrun. Will they make exception for this?

Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Lads. Are tax offices still working? I need to buy tax in April. I always use online one, but do they still operate?
    shanec1928 wrote: »
    They were up until last week anyways. When I got mine in the post.

Yes, you'll be able to renew online or via post - no change there.

Motor Tax offices will also be contactable by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭jmreire

For people who are in the trade, an oil change or a service may not be essential ( especially under the current circumstances ) and can generally be postponed, But try telling that to some one who's only mechanical knowledge is how to start and drive a car. But DO know about breakdowns and expensive repair bills. So I can see how the OP would be worried. I know plenty of people who religiously get their cars serviced on time.Any of you in the trade, will know people like this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jprboy wrote: »
    Yes, you'll be able to renew online or via post - no change there.

Motor Tax offices will also be contactable by phone.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

This quarantine thing has given me more time to figure out what else needs to be done with the replacement teg shell, list keeps getting bigger.
    Swap boot lids, as mine is in better nick.
    Replace the little things that stop the doors opening too wide as they click/creak like mad.
    Swap dash.
    Remove the stupid pop up aerial and look at getting one that uses the window instead.
    This is in addition to swapping fronts, all the arms, suspension, brakes, brake master cylinder, suspension and probably more that I'm forgetting.
    Also continuing to wire wheel behind the wings, skirts and bumpers, preparing for some Bilt Hamber rust remover and protective coating.
    Might get someone else to underseal the bottom though, don't really have space to do that in the shed.

And then I can look at fixing the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wait until you hear how much my classic policy is on the Skyline... €140 :o
    I do love classic insurance.
    I had a z32 300zx, a Rolls Royce Silver Spur and a 7.3 litre ford f250 insured on one policy for less than 450 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Getting a service isn't essential, a fortnight or so isn't going to make or break anything.

...unless it's an N57 BMW engine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Reading the banernomics thread got me wondering.

With the big impact on car sales as a result of what's going on at the moment, does anyone else feel that when this all passes that the insurance companies will try harder to remove older cars off the road at the "request" (if that's what you could call it) of the dealers/manufactures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Very unlikely. They already have enough data to back up wanting certain older cars off their books.

Reading the banernomics thread got me wondering.

With the big impact on car sales as a result of what's going on at the moment, does anyone else feel that when this all passes that the insurance companies will try harder to remove older cars off the road at the "request" (if that's what you could call it) of the dealers/manufactures ?

We are already being "funnelled " into changing every few years, whether we want to or not. Keeps the banks ( interest on loans ), dealers ( Profit's up ) and the government ( VAT ) happy.
    Go to any other Country in the world, and you will see older, much older cars on the road's...no problem.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Very unlikely. They already have enough data to back up wanting certain older cars off their books.

Yes Colm, but how is it that no other Country uses data like it is being used here in Ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

colm_mcm wrote: »

the older cars thing I always found funny.

the loudest voices giving out are usually young lads going mad that their 90s jap rust bucket wit no airbags, no ebd etc... isn't getting quotes, even vintage insurers won't take those, everyone and their dog is well aware that a 20 year old lad does not want an integra because of its 'prestige' and to 'preserve a classic' or because they 'cant afford anything else'

aside from that the older models issue usually impacted cars with really poor safety levels in general. Never once see somebody give out about trying to put an 01 Volvo s40 on the road , or anyone over 25 with an e46 etc...

• Advertisement

the older cars thing I always found funny.

the loudest voices giving out are usually young lads going mad that their 90s jap rust bucket wit no airbags, no ebd etc... isn't getting quotes, even vintage insurers won't take those, everyone and their dog is well aware that a 20 year old lad does not want an integra because of its 'prestige' and to 'preserve a classic' or because they 'cant afford anything else'

aside from that the older models issue usually impacted cars with really poor safety levels in general. Never once see somebody give out about trying to put an 01 Volvo s40 on the road , or anyone over 25 with an e46 etc...

Yes, thats a given, 20 year old's and fast cars are never going to appeal to insurer's, and there has been some horror stories in terms of older cars ( and as you mention it " Japanese Rust buckets in the 90's " )
    But here in Ireland, even for drivers with mega years NCB, it can be difficult if not impossible to get insurance for an older car. Even if you have been the owner of the car for the previous 5 years, once it hits " The Age Limit" applied by the majority of insurers, thats it !!! Bin it, and buy newer seem's to be the agreed agenda. Yet, cars of the same make , model and year can be seen driving away happily in other Country's. And as for safety standards, Airbags ( first appeared in the 80's, and were standard by the mid 90's) Brakes ( Dual circuit , servo assisted brakes were available in the 70's) Seat Belts were fitted as standard by the 70's too. So while the safety element has and continue's to improve, older cars had good safety features too, so the insurance claims that they were death traps has a hollow ring to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement